Kobe/Jordan Video

Kobe/Jordan Video

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:22 am

I know this maybe could have gone in another thread, but I went with creating a new thread for this video because it's THAT amazing.

The creator of this video went back through I don't know how much video footage of Kobe & Jordan through the years and put together this awesome video showing just how similar their games are by showing nearly identical plays each made.

Possibly the best video of this kind I've seen online:

If the mods feel like this should be merged into another thread, please feel free to do so. :beer:
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Re: Kobe/Jordan Video

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 am

that jordan guy was very Kobe-esque
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:35 am

That's some Twilight Zone stuff there.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 am

^^ Yeah, saw that video in the other thread and it's remarkable. It's a great testament to just how much Kobe studied, utilized and integrated into his own arsenal the pioneering play of Jordan. There is no greater student of the game than Kobe. And I think this shows that exact fact - and this is just with Jordan's classic moves like the turnaround, the step back, the baseline reverse . . Just look at the way Kobe studied and mastered Dirk's shot, look at his post game after studying with the Dream. The guy is the most monstrous student in NBA history. That's why he has the most diverse and accomplished all around offensive game I've ever seen. His work ethic is unquestionable and unparalleled.

I still feel that Jordan was a more dominant player than Kobe. And because of his incredible health, work ethic and athleticism MJ was able to stay at the top of his game a bit longer than Kobe, IMO. But as far as skills go, I would put Kobe ahead of Jordan. Of course, he's not the pioneer that Jordan was - for that I also give Jordan bonus points in terms of GOAT discussion. As Kobe himself said, there wouldn't be him without Jordan first. He was the model. Nonetheless, I still love Kobe's game more - it's the skills. Kobe's the most complete player I've ever seen.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:46 am

Crazy ... the only big difference in their respective games is the way(s) they dunked
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:19 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Yeah, saw that video in the other thread and it's remarkable. It's a great testament to just how much Kobe studied, utilized and integrated into his own arsenal the pioneering play of Jordan. There is no greater student of the game than Kobe. And I think this shows that exact fact - and this is just with Jordan's classic moves like the turnaround, the step back, the baseline reverse . . Just look at the way Kobe studied and mastered Dirk's shot, look at his post game after studying with the Dream. The guy is the most monstrous student in NBA history. That's why he has the most diverse and accomplished all around offensive game I've ever seen. His work ethic is unquestionable and unparalleled.

I think you could probably make a similar video of Kobe with a few different teachers. He said he studied Oscar Robertson, we've seen Kobe bust out a hook shot every now and then (Kareem), he has studied and absorbed some of Hakeem's moves on the block, and of course there was Dirk's off-foot fade away. I think a 20 minutes video could probably be made if you included these guys too.

Kobe is definitely the best learner and the best student the game has ever seen. Some of that is a function of himself and some is a function of so many great pioneers before him. I think Jordan was better than Kobe, yes. But there is something to me that is in a way more impressive for Kobe. He's smaller, he's not as athletic, he's not as gifted, and he's not as loved and somehow he remains one of the greatest to ever play the game. If you consider the fact that Jordan was one of the best athletes to ever grace a court and that Kobe arguably has never been the best athlete in his own era, you get a feel for what I'm saying.

No one has ever wanted it more than Kobe. He's always proven himself to be the most competitive and the hungriest player I've ever seen. He's special, that's for sure.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:36 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ Yeah, saw that video in the other thread and it's remarkable. It's a great testament to just how much Kobe studied, utilized and integrated into his own arsenal the pioneering play of Jordan. There is no greater student of the game than Kobe. And I think this shows that exact fact - and this is just with Jordan's classic moves like the turnaround, the step back, the baseline reverse . . Just look at the way Kobe studied and mastered Dirk's shot, look at his post game after studying with the Dream. The guy is the most monstrous student in NBA history. That's why he has the most diverse and accomplished all around offensive game I've ever seen. His work ethic is unquestionable and unparalleled.

I still feel that Jordan was a more dominant player than Kobe. And because of his incredible health, work ethic and athleticism MJ was able to stay at the top of his game a bit longer than Kobe, IMO. But as far as skills go, I would put Kobe ahead of Jordan. Of course, he's not the pioneer that Jordan was - for that I also give Jordan bonus points in terms of GOAT discussion. As Kobe himself said, there wouldn't be him without Jordan first. He was the model. Nonetheless, I still love Kobe's game more - it's the skills. Kobe's the most complete player I've ever seen.

Agreed 100%. I feel the exact same way.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:37 am

The video is AMAZING. The level of similarity between those plays is uncanny. Props to the maker, AWESOME job.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:24 pm

I don't see how Scottie Pippen can sit there and say Kobe is "nowhere near Michael" without being completely biased from having MJ as a teammate, and flat out hating Kobe from being beaten by him repeatedly. I don't understand how Jordan became this untouchable basketball god. Yes, he was amazing, but you can only be so good at basketball, Kobe has done some ridiculous things on the court, he IS close to MJ I don't care what anyone says having elevated MJ to mythical status. I don't think Kobe's better, but to say he's not close, please.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFanIam on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Hate the endless comparisons... BUT, that video is Amazing. Well edited & the footage is remarkable.
LakerFanIam

Postby John3:16 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Wish it ended with both on the scorers table with confetti raining down on them.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:15 pm

There was a split-screen video with Mike and Kobe performing all these moves at the same time. That's amazing to watch.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 pm

The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 pm

I dunno....both MJ and Kobe seem to me.....almost LeBronesque...... same moves, footwork.....oh wait :bang: sorry forgot that was still Doug Collins rattling around in my dome after the Olympics.

:man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Finwë on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:21 pm

:man10:
Finwë

Postby BadCoaching on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:51 pm

That video is.. tremendous

Kobe with the big hands like MJ had.. they'd be a dead lock other than the obvious hops advantage MJ had early on. Kobe certainly could fly though.
BadCoaching

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Simply amazing, can't believe the Mamba is almost gone :man6:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby ThizGuy83 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 pm

that video was awesome... they need to add more time to it... like an hour long video! the moves are so identical... just crazy... i need to share this video
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby ladam24 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:43 am

The similarities are even more uncanny because of the triangle offense being run the same way for both teams.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby ladam24 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:43 am

The similarities are even more uncanny because of the triangle offense being run the same way for both teams.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:56 am

Looks Like a Good Vid, Kobe is the Much Better Player In My Opinion.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:45 am

BadCoaching wrote:That video is.. tremendous

Kobe with the big hands like MJ had.. they'd be a dead lock other than the obvious hops advantage MJ had early on. Kobe certainly could fly though.

Yeah MJ with the bigger hands was a better finisher I think around the basket. Kobe, however, is a far more creative and explosive player around the basket. Kobe's smaller hands along with his unquestionable work ethic I think make him the better shooter as well as Jackie Mcmillen said in the video.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Murdock on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:49 am

ladam24 wrote:The similarities are even more uncanny because of the triangle offense being run the same way for both teams.

exactly what I said in the other thread :D ... you can see same positions of their team-mates :D
Murdock

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 am

Weezy wrote:I don't see how Scottie Pippen can sit there and say Kobe is "nowhere near Michael" without being completely biased from having MJ as a teammate, and flat out hating Kobe from being beaten by him repeatedly. I don't understand how Jordan became this untouchable basketball god. Yes, he was amazing, but you can only be so good at basketball, Kobe has done some ridiculous things on the court, he IS close to MJ I don't care what anyone says having elevated MJ to mythical status. I don't think Kobe's better, but to say he's not close, please.

This is the same guy who essentially said LeBron is better than Jordan. Before June.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby The Rock on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:49 am

Just something to think about...some people dismiss Kareem and Wilt's achievements because they had a physical advantage, why cant the same be applied to Jordan? Players in his position in the perimeter nowadays are taller, faster, stronger, longer, they jump higher compared to when he played...they maybe not fundamentally sound but the physical advantage becomes narrower now. The game has progressed too with more schemes and strategies since MJ's time. I think MJ would still be dominant in today's game but he wouldn't be as dominant and successful as he was when he played . Sure theres no handchecking but if you played basketball wouldn't you rather have just 1 guy draped all over you than 2 guys tightly guarding you 20 feet from the basket? I know Im opening pandora's box here but this place has been awfully quiet so maybe starting some discussing going may not be a bad thing lol

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion