Kobe leavin LA?

Kobe leavin LA?

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:03 pm

oh man :panic2: i was watchin sportscenter and they said kobe has decided to not sign the contract extension that has been offered to him...he will be a free agent after next season..wat ever happens next season (shaq's shape,phil contract extension, etc) will help determine his decision. i sure dunt wana see him go..do u guys think he just is duing this to make sure the Lakers management makes the team better next year, or that he realy wants to change teams. i dunt he wants to be in n e uther uniform. maybe he just wants to experience free agency..wat do u guys think?
o0O kb8 O0o

Postby o0O kb8 O0o on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:06 pm

o0O kb8 O0o

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:14 pm

:disagree: Kobe's not going anywhere. The Lakers offered him an extension earlier this season, he just refused to sign, so this really isn't news, it's hype. Kobe, wants Shaq to come in shape and Phil to extend as head coach, if both happen Kobe stays. Even if both don't happen Kobe stays because I honestly think, they will put a team around him & Shaq this year. I also think the Lakers know they are going to get Gary Payton.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:51 pm

Don't worry guys.

This statement by Kobe is just to motivate Shaq and urge Phil to stay coaching for a couple of more years.

Its kinda of funny how this news too away the focus from the draft and was all KOBE.

For once, Kobe was the story, and not Lebron James.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:54 pm

:man10:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby BDG on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:54 pm

Kobe's staying in LA for the rest of his career. Period.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:07 pm

the only place where KOBE is going to go is THE HALL OF FAME after his NBA career is over with the LAKERS. KOBE is not going anywhere. I bet those same KOBE HATERS are DROOLING at the chance their ball club could land him. Its too bad their hopes are only a dream at best, because KOBE will retire as a LAKER!!!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:24 am

I don't think Kobe's gonna leave us.. He's just made the choice to not sign with us right now... He's still got a year left in his contract, and he's using this time to motivate the others in the midst of an extention...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby crucifido on Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:11 am

Kobe will opt out/will not leave the Lakers because:

1) The players deal with league expires at the end of next season. Meaning there will be new negotiations on a deal that can and most probably will affect Kobe's income on a new contract. This leaves the door wide open for him to be have his pay represent his status as one of the league's best (if not THE best) players.

2) We all saw Kobe cry at the end of this last season's playoffs right? Then later the next day quoted as saying he "hates this feeling and never wants to feel it again" right? Then why in the world would he jump ship to a smallerr market and want to suffer through a possible 5 or 6 year losing run to only wind up with another iffy shot at a title? Meanwhile, he can remain in L.A, stay with a system that he is familiar with, stay in a top two market spotlight and win multiple future titles within the very near future.

Don't panic guys, it's a business decision to opt out not a personal decision. If you believe that Kobe is as smart as we all know he is, then you couldn't see him wanting to go to any other situation besides the dream situation he is in right now.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby visitor on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:17 am

New York isn't a smaller market :bang:
visitor

Postby crucifido on Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:48 am

you missed my point though - why go to New York only to wallow in losing for another 5 or6 years? The guy hates losing! You sasw him cry over the loss in the playoffs right? He wasn't crying because he lost a puppy or something the guy is passionate about winning.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby lalgirl3 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:05 am

:mhihi: I have to laugh at Kobe for putting that out there like that. It was cute Kobe. No but serious, he aint going no where! I just brushed that off when Jim Gray reported that during the draft (which by the way I am very happy with out picks :jam2: I think they will help us out alot). I strongly doubt that Kobe is going anywhere. I believe that 1.) Los Angeles is where he wants to be ecspecially after the birth of his daughter Natalia. I think he would want to raise her there and 2.) Kobe is making millions of dollars a year (double millions a dollars I do believe). I dont think any other team would be able to pay him as much as the Lakers do (my opinion maybe I'm wrong about the other teams money matters). I cant picture Kobe in another jersey I couldn't even picture him in the Hornets jersey when they drafted him! I think that Kobe will win a few more rings, retire with the L.A. Lakers and be in the Hall of Fame. The End.
lalgirl3

Postby The Old Schooler on Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:49 am

LaLg3,

I really didn't pay much attention to Jim Gray's report either because it was something that was already understood. I think it was a little soon to throw it out there on Kobe's part, but he did what the Lakers thought he would do.

Kobe is in a good position. I agree with you, I don't see him leaving L.A for another market. He is in one of the two biggest markets in the NBA, and he just signed that Nike deal (Don't you think L.A is one of Nike's strongest markets?) I think Kobe just wanted to send a message to the club. He just wanted to put something on Shaq's mind. Phil said that he will talk with Big Daddy Buss later this summer about reing up for 3 more years, so we just need to have Shaq return to the level he was in the first championship run.
CONNECTED IN THE GAME SINCE 1980
The Old Schooler

Postby FirstLady on Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:34 pm

I agree with all of you who say Kobe isn't going anywhere and that it was said just to motivate those surrounding him, i.e. Shaq, Phil, Mitch and Jerry. I believe Kobe feels he's a Laker for life!
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby lalgirl3 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:16 am

FirstLady wrote:I agree with all of you who say Kobe isn't going anywhere and that it was said just to motivate those surrounding him, i.e. Shaq, Phil, Mitch and Jerry. I believe Kobe feels he's a Laker for life!

Exactly
lalgirl3

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:17 pm

Yeap... He's just tryin to motivate the rest of the team... and look what happens? PJ signs a 3 year extention!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby shaqass on Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:30 am

you are all really confident!

I think as well that Kobe will stay. But he is damn clever and what he wants is only win. Best case Shaq get in shape, Lakers get good free agent, Lakers win it all next season, Kobe re-sign with Lakers for a long term contract. Best case.

A little less dreamful: Shaq is back with teletubbie (copyright for someone else saying that in another thread :man12: ) body, free agency is bad (hey we get Lue, not that bad...), Lakers lose (only this point could be enough), Kobe leave. Is it really unthinkable?
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:37 pm

Why would Kobe risk moving to another team? Kobe HATES losing and all ya'll saw that when he broke down in tears. Kobe is just trying to make wavs, in ways of motavating Shaq and Phil. I'm sure Shaq will be in better shape too.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:41 pm

Again and again...you are correct L-Gyrl.

Kobe is a very smart man. I guess Phil's technique of using the media to get certain messages out has been learned by Kobe.

Kobe used Jim Gray to motivate Shaq, to get Phil to extend his contract, and to make Laker management get better free agents.

He truly has some effect with the Lakers, since Phil is about to sign an extension and the Lakers making some moves after July 1.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Return to Lakers Discussion