Kobe Now Appreciates His Former Foe

Re: Kobe Now Appreciates His Former Foe

Postby Maluco Beleza on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:25 pm

seems like you guys are trolling me.

since i don't share the same opinion.
Maluco Beleza

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Maluco Beleza on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Image

how is this not considered trolling mods?
Maluco Beleza

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:35 pm

If you would like to explain how a dog running around in a backyard with window blinds is related to your post, I'm all ears?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Maluco Beleza on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:38 pm

wow you think you're smart. ok I guess that was for Trodgers or puffy ?

btw that Kobe message was forgettable.. looked like he just said whatever came off the top of his head.
Maluco Beleza

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:47 pm

If you see something as trolling please flag the post and we'll review it.

And just because something is forgettable, doesn't mean it's not heartfelt. Just because he didn't choke back tears doesn't mean he didn't mean the good things he said. Kobe Bryant has never been an emotional person in that respect.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:30 am

I did think Kobe's video about Shaq was a little disingenuous but who cares? Every 'tribute' speech is slightly disingenuous.

Any time someone does a tribute, the person they're talking about is the best person in the world. They aren't BFFs, or family, come on.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 am

Maluco Beleza wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Image

how is this not considered trolling mods?

1. Doc Brown did not quote your post
2. How does one associate a dog running in the backyard with a the remains of a blind relate to your post?
3. Just because you feel like everyone is attacking you does not make it so
4. Like Realdeal said, if you really feel it is an attack on you flag it and the Mods will review. Contrary to popular belief no one (not even Mods) are immune from warnings

I personally don't get the point of some of you guys who seem to go out of your way to find things to complain about especially when it comes to Kobe. He may have arguably played his best season as a Laker and yet we can count on poster such as yourself to come in and complain about something. It is pretty sad that certain fools in the Media are trying to make this something and that certain fans are so eager to swallow it up like its gold. I wonder why no one complained about Shaq not being at Kaps statue unveiling? Shouldn't one of the Lakers greatest Centers be there to support another of the Lakers greatest Centers? Where the heck was Magic? I didn't see Jimmy standing down there either. Did anyone see Mitch on the floor during Shaq's deal? Why didn't Shaq thank his teammates? He did on the TWC behind the scenes thing but not live? Was Kobe just giving lip service to make Shaq happy? Um, if you think that then you don't know Kobe at all. Kobe doesn't write speeches (see: Jerry Buss funeral for example) so he went off the cuff and anyone just listening instead of finding things to complain about would be able to tell that it was just that. Again, no one is trolling you people are, rightfully so, calling you out on the standard BS. Very few things you post can be defended with reason or logic instead it turns into some form of crying to the Mods. You control how the "board" responds to you through your posting...... maybe you should check out that as the root of the problem.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby khmrP on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 am

Maluco Beleza wrote:seems like you guys are trolling me.

since i don't share the same opinion.

most of your comments in regards to Kobe and game day thread would suggest you're the troll
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:52 am

JGC wrote:I did think Kobe's video about Shaq was a little disingenuous but who cares? Every 'tribute' speech is slightly disingenuous.

Any time someone does a tribute, the person they're talking about is the best person in the world. They aren't BFFs, or family, come on.

considering all the garbage Snaq has thrown at Kobe over the years, that video was more then enough.....
khmrP

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:55 am

khmrP wrote:
JGC wrote:I did think Kobe's video about Shaq was a little disingenuous but who cares? Every 'tribute' speech is slightly disingenuous.

considering all the garbage Snaq has thrown at Kobe over the years, that video was more then enough.....

Kobe has thrown plenty of garbage at Shaq too. I mean, do we really need to go down a list and who dished out more garbage and how bad was the garbage? That's all bridge under the water now.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:02 am

Shaq didn't even mention Kobe in his speech. I mean, do we really need to go through exactly what each of them said or whether or not they said anything? That's all bridge under the water now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 am

JGC wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Kobe has thrown plenty of garbage at Shaq too. I mean, do we really need to go down a list and who dished out more garbage and how bad was the garbage? That's all bridge under the water now.

Kobe threw out garbage during their time together...once Shaq got traded he pretty much kept his mouth shut until the 5th ring and that was probably only in retaliation to Shaq "how my arse taste" rap drama.
khmrP

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 am

honestly, who cares at this point?

so what Kobe didn't go out there and dry hump Snaq's leg while telling him how much he loved him

get over it...this Lakers fan wasn't even 100% in support of the jersey being retired right away
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:09 am

therealdeal wrote:Shaq didn't even mention Kobe in his speech. I mean, do we really need to go through exactly what each of them said or whether or not they said anything? That's all bridge under the water now.

Totally. Who cares if Shaq didn't mention Kobe. Who cares if Kobe's speech didn't seem genuine? Who cares who threw garbage at whom?

They had their drama, they've put it behind them and that's the end of that.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 am

JGC wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Shaq didn't even mention Kobe in his speech. I mean, do we really need to go through exactly what each of them said or whether or not they said anything? That's all bridge under the water now.

Totally. Who cares if Shaq didn't mention Kobe. Who cares if Kobe's speech didn't seem genuine? Who cares who threw garbage at whom?

Totally. It's all over. Who cares about any of this?

So let's get back on subject: the article on the first page is about how Kobe Bryant now respects and appreciates what Shaq gave him during their time together. Let's all talk about that instead of the speech.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:20 am

therealdeal wrote:
JGC wrote:

Totally. It's all over. Who cares about any of this?

So let's get back on subject: the article on the first page is about how Kobe Bryant now respects and appreciates what Shaq gave him during their time together. Let's all talk about that instead of the speech.

Completely agree. Let's also include all of the comments about the media blasting Kobe are also off subject too in addition to discussion on the speech.

Kobe now respects and appreciates Shaq and the time they had together. Considering their ups and downs, that's pretty neat.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:32 am

Let's just include what I said since it covers what you wrote.

I think it's pretty neat that Kobe and Shaq have seemingly buried the hatchet. I think a lot of that has to do with Kobe's 5th ring. Between the two egos, I think Kobe's is greater. And since Kobe got the final say in the matter, I don't think Shaq can say a damn thing back. He's forced to swallow some of that pride and just let it go. Kobe can of course let it go with ease now knowing he's got more rings than Shaq.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Herm24 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:40 am

Don't you hate all these Shaq vs Kobe debates .. I've been defending kobe since he's been here and it gets annoying that people still don't give him credit for those 3 rings .. So many people on other MSG boards are like he rode Shaq's wagon blah blah blah .. Fact is you don't ride anyone's wagon when you put up back to back 45 point games against the spurs in the playoffs .. People get so caught up in finals MVPs that they don't realize how sh***ty the east was that we just dumped it in the post to shaq all day when we got there .. People will do whatever they can to tarnish Kobe's legacy .. It's funny when people say Lebron deals with more hate .. Ha that's a flat out joke! Kobe's dealt with this his entire career
Herm24

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:46 am

therealdeal wrote:Let's just include what I said since it covers what you wrote.

I think it's pretty neat that Kobe and Shaq have seemingly buried the hatchet. I think a lot of that has to do with Kobe's 5th ring. Between the two egos, I think Kobe's is greater. And since Kobe got the final say in the matter, I don't think Shaq can say a damn thing back. He's forced to swallow some of that pride and just let it go. Kobe can of course let it go with ease now knowing he's got more rings than Shaq.

Not sure I entirely agree about the 5th ring. Well, actually, I don't agree with it at all. I think it was more about Shaq realizing he couldn't do it (dominate) anymore. And once he realized that, he lost his will to 'fight' so to speak. Notice he also didn't do a whole lot of talking during his final couple seasons either. In contrast, at his prime, he was dishing it left and right. Age and maturity has a lot to do with it too on both players.

If Shaq was in his prime right now, he'd still be gunning for Kobe and if Kobe were in his prime, he wouldn't be talking about how amazing a physical specimen Shaq was, etc, etc.
JGC

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:46 am

Herm24 wrote:Don't you hate all these Shaq vs Kobe debates .. I've been defending kobe since he's been here and it gets annoying that people still don't give him credit for those 3 rings .. So many people on other MSG boards are like he rode Shaq's wagon blah blah blah .. Fact is you don't ride anyone's wagon when you put up back to back 45 point games against the spurs in the playoffs .. People get so caught up in finals MVPs that they don't realize how sh***ty the east was that we just dumped it in the post to shaq all day when we got there .. People will do whatever they can to tarnish Kobe's legacy .. It's funny when people say Lebron deals with more hate .. Ha that's a flat out joke! Kobe's dealt with this his entire career

Come on man. Keep it to Kobe's appreciation for Shaq. This isn't necessary!
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 am

JGC wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Let's just include what I said since it covers what you wrote.

Not sure I entirely agree about the 5th ring. Well, actually, I don't agree with it at all. I think it was more about Shaq realizing he couldn't do it (dominate) anymore. And once he realized that, he lost his will to 'fight' so to speak. Notice he also didn't do a whole lot of talking during his final couple seasons either. In contrast, at his prime, he was dishing it left and right. Age and maturity has a lot to do with it too on both players.

If Shaq was in his prime right now, he'd still be gunning for Kobe and if Kobe were in his prime, he wouldn't be talking about how amazing a physical specimen Shaq was, etc, etc.

Eh.

My point stands. Shaq was "rapping" about Kobe in 2008/2009 I believe when Kobe lost in the Finals saying he (Kobe) couldn't win without him (Shaq). Was Shaq still dominating then? No. He had his cute resurgence in Phoenix around that time, but he wasn't nearly the same player.

Notice how all that talk stopped when Kobe won 5. The first thing Kobe said after winning that ring was "I got one more than Shaq." Shaq congratulated him and it was over. Shaq cannot answer back.

I disagree completely with the idea that Shaq just couldn't dominate anymore so he shut up. That never stopped him from talking about Dwight late into his career, or even now this season. What stopped Shaq from talking was Kobe proving him wrong. That's it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Both of them are idiots in my book. They easily could have done what MJ & Pip did and then some, if they just got along. They went to 4 Finals and won 3 over a 5 year span not being besties. Imagine if they sincerely appreciated playing off each other from the jump....

Game over!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:48 pm

therealdeal wrote:
JGC wrote:

Eh.

My point stands. Shaq was "rapping" about Kobe in 2008/2009 I believe when Kobe lost in the Finals saying he (Kobe) couldn't win without him (Shaq). Was Shaq still dominating then? No. He had his cute resurgence in Phoenix around that time, but he wasn't nearly the same player.

Notice how all that talk stopped when Kobe won 5. The first thing Kobe said after winning that ring was "I got one more than Shaq." Shaq congratulated him and it was over. Shaq cannot answer back.

I disagree completely with the idea that Shaq just couldn't dominate anymore so he shut up. That never stopped him from talking about Dwight late into his career, or even now this season. What stopped Shaq from talking was Kobe proving him wrong. That's it.

Eh. My points stands too!

I think it was over for Shaq around the 2009 NBA All-Star Game when Kobe gave his trophy to Shaq's son. In fact, I don't recall Shaq talking trash about Kobe from that moment on. Do you? In fact, I even remember in the 2009 finals, Shaq had also tweeted his support for Kobe saying that he hoped Kobe would get his 4th ring.

Then in 2010, when Kobe won his 5th and was still taking jabs, Shaq congratulated him but IMO it was already over and for a long time for Shaq by this point because he knew he couldn't 'beat' Kobe on the court anymore.

And I'm not saying that just because Shaq couldn't dominate anymore he went silent. LOL. I'm saying as he got older, slower, and less relevant, he realized he wasn't on Kobe's level on the court or as important in the eyes of the basketball world anymore, his desire to keep sweating the small stuff started to dwindle. This is a very common thing.

I too would like to think the 5th ring was some kind of statement ring in this regards, but I just don't believe that to be the case here especially when Shaq had already indicated the feud was over for him long, long before.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm

This is the first you'd said that Kobe giving his All-Star MVP trophy to Shaq's son might have had something to do with it. That's a good point, but it really doesn't support your previous point.

In 2010 Kobe took the last jab yes, but I'm not entirely sure that Shaq wasn't taking jabs. I'd need to see a lot of proof that he stopped taking jabs before I just accepted this point.

LOL you might not be saying that now, but it was certainly what you said in your previous posts. Unless you didn't articulate it that way, but if that's the case I can hardly be held accountable for the words you said. Shaq's decline physically and within the game of basketball was one of my points actually. Once retired (i.e. no longer able to perform at an NBA level), Shaq could no longer say much to Kobe; especially after Kobe won his next 2 rings without him.

I remember Shaq being very gracious then and I believe that to have been genuine. In fact, I remember congratulating Shaq on congratulating Kobe.

A championship ring is always a statement ring. And I think it's funny that you don't think THIS ring was a statement ring when Kobe has recently said that winning without Shaq was an obsession for him. Winning one more than Shaq was something that Kobe drove himself on.

Here's a direct quote from Kobe expressing the superiority he feels over having more than Shaq:
I saw him after the All-Star Game and said, ‘How you doing, ‘Four’ ?’ He said, ‘Oh, you [expletive].’
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/04/kobe-bryant-always-reminds-shaquille-oneal-he-has-more-championships/

It's from a short article titled "Kobe Bryant Always Reminds Shaquille O'Neal He Has More Championships".

Clearly that last ring is quite the statement.

But again since we've somehow found ourselves a bit off topic. This is more about how Kobe Bryant appreciates the work and the intensity that Shaq brought to the game. Kobe doesn't see that from many people anymore. It's something he's trying to develop in Dwight and it seems to be working, but it's obviously a different beast.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion