Kobe Plans To Play 'Two More Years Max'

Re: Kobe Plans To Play 'Two More Years Max'

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:05 am

Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The way I interpret that from his previous statements: "This season looks like it might have been a huge bust, so I'm going to try to go for two more to make up for it instead of one."

If he does plan on playing another season after next he better plan on signing cheap so we can compete, as in sign a big name free agent in 2014, he's going to be making 30 mil next season, he better not seriously expect to come close to that season after next.

The Summer 2014 free agency is overrated in terms of the reality of adding a "superstar" ... Granger , Gay ( player option) both not very exciting names anyways ...

Lebron will stay with the Heat or back to Cavs ... maybe Melo (player option) would like playing with his friend Kobe ..

Most likely scenario is Love (player option for 2015-2016) the season after ... if he doesn't get traded before
wcsoldier81

Postby MC on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 am

I remember as a teenager being shaken by the Magic retirement, especially for the reasoning........ my hunch is I'm going to be shaken again once Bryant hangs them up, although under more traditional circumstance.

Bryant will be a guy that will be much more appreciated nationally once he hangs them up but for Laker fans who knew what we had for a long time now it will be a painful reminder.

He is the second best 2 guard to ever play this game IMO and I'm not sure it's even close......... it's too bad he won't be truly recognized as that until he's done but the media and majority of fair weather fans could never accept Bryant when his higher level of play started while they were about to morn Jordan's retirement. It's now acceptable to be mentioned in the same breath as Jordan for arguments sake but for majority of Bryant's career the comparison has been a basketball "sin" and the starting point for the media to try and tear down an athlete after building them up.

Bryant's impact on the game will be missed......... the only guy in the last 25 years that even came close to having that killer instinct that separated Jordan from his peers.......... way too much happy touchy feely guys in this league these days putting being liked ahead of winning....... old school will be dead once Bryant retires.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby 432J on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 am

revgen wrote:This is his 17th season. If he plays 2 more seasons, then he would have played 19 years. That's a long time for any player, much less a guard.

and keep in mind that he entered the league at 18

that's ALOT of wear and tear on the knees. honestly, i don't know how kobe can still dominate games at age 34-35 with the amount of work he's put in since '96
432J

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 am

It will be time for Kobe to retire after next year. Even if he took a lower salary, it would be hard going forward with the face of the franchise still in the background.
LAKEROC

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:43 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The way I interpret that from his previous statements: "This season looks like it might have been a huge bust, so I'm going to try to go for two more to make up for it instead of one."

If he does plan on playing another season after next he better plan on signing cheap so we can compete, as in sign a big name free agent in 2014, he's going to be making 30 mil next season, he better not seriously expect to come close to that season after next.

The Summer 2014 free agency is overrated ... Granger , Gay ( player option) ... Lebron will stay with the Heat or back to Cavs ... Melo (player option) .

Here's just some names that either can be or will be available in the summer of 2014:

Pierce
Garnett
Deng
Varejao
Nowitski
Marion
Mayo
Iguodala
Bogut
Rush
P. Patterson
Granger
James
Bosh
Wade
Ellis
Kirilenko
Anthony
Stoudemire
Sefolosha
Turkoglu
J. Nelson
Harrington
Vucevic
Evan Turner
Gortat
Beasley
S. Brown
Salmons
Gay
Bargnani
Lowry
Favors
Hayward
Okafor
Ariza
Wall

All of these guys could be solid players for the right price to any team. Definitely enough there to surround a Dwight Howard. Names that pop: Wall, Ellis, James, Rush, Turner, Iguodala, and any of the old guys on a cheap contract.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 am

I hope Kobe plays at least 1 more year after this contract his up.
dwighthowardsdad

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion