Kobe's revealing interview about Smush & Kwame

Re: Kobe's revealing interview about Smush & Kwame

Postby 432J on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 am

i still think kobe should have kept his mouth shut about smush though

why keep bringing it up? it's been 5 years since he last played for the lakers. there comes a time to let things go. kobe should say to himself "yeah he's said some things about me but ignoring him would make him look like even more of a loser"
432J

Postby GT-R on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:09 am

People have to realize Kobe and the Lakers knew what they were getting themselves into when they traded Shaq. It's rare for a team to trade a franchise player and be competing for a championship right away.

Kobe can't be too mad because he got to do two things that not a lot of players get to do. He got to play on playoff caliber teams early on in his career and won three championships before he reached his prime. He also has the opportunity to compete for a championship in the late stage of his career. How many players can say they had the same opportunity as Kobe to be able to do this with one team?
#firemikebrown
GT-R

Postby Weezy on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am

Damn, Kobe did not hold back with this one, I love hearing him speak honestly and openly, I hope he keeps it up in his final years in the league. As for Smush, the guy had talent, if he didn't he wouldn't have averaged 11 and 3 with us for 2 seasons. His problem was a terrible attitude, and being a matador on defense IMO. He benefited soooo much from playing next to Kobe and under Phil, yet he showed/shows zero appreciation for it, nobody knew who he was before coming here and he was forgotten when he left, he's the ultimate example of how Kobe does make teammates better and how Phil gets more out of players than almost anyone else. I also think if Smush weren't such a jerk that Kobe wouldn't bring him up like he does, you don't really see Kobe bashing players that sucked but were good teammates. Luke sucked, but you never, ever see Kobe bashing Luke, he always stood up for him really.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:20 am

lakerswiz wrote:There is one thing that I will never doubt about Kobe and that's his hunger for the trophy.

He has #7 in his mind. I do not care what he says. He wants #7. He wants one more than Jordan. I guarantee that.

Psh....if the gods smile down on the Lakers, he could get a 3-peat right now. We'll see.
The Laker Link

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:30 am

JSM wrote:I feel bad for Kobe. Yes, he's played with some incredible players -- Shaq, Pau, Drew, Malone & GP (even though that didn't work out), and now D12 & Nash. But he's also had to deal with the who's who of the NBA rejects. The D-League wouldn't even accept half of that garbage today. No superstar should have to endure the likes of Smush, Tierre, Atkins, Mihm, Walker, Kwame, Samake, Slava, Cook, Luke, Knight, Morrison, Madsen, and Gump :hurl:

I thought he liked Madsen, because he at least made the games fun and worked hard. EVERYONE ELSE LISTED SUCKED. All were a "piece of monkey !@#$"
The Laker Link

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:39 am

JSM wrote:I feel bad for Kobe. Yes, he's played with some incredible players -- Shaq, Pau, Drew, Malone & GP (even though that didn't work out), and now D12 & Nash. But he's also had to deal with the who's who of the NBA rejects. The D-League wouldn't even accept half of that garbage today. No superstar should have to endure the likes of Smush, Tierre, Atkins, Mihm, Walker, Kwame, Samake, Slava, Cook, Luke, Knight, Morrison, Madsen, and Gump :hurl:

Walton had many moments when he was healthy. Mihm was decent prior to that horrific ankle injury and would still be a good backup center. Morrison kept practices lively by keeping the starters on their toes because he can score. George had that one good year in in 2002 then regressed... Madsen was useful in spot minutes but not as bad as Walker. Agree that the rest were busts, also-rans and just fodder.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:17 pm

^Luke wasn't a mental midget like Kwame and Smush. His body just wasn't NBA caliber and his talent was lackluster outside of his passing skills. Kobe particularly hates guys who are mental midgets. If you work hard and try your very best, but just don't have the talent or skill to measure up, he's not the kind of person to hate on you.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby jlkr on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:56 pm

revgen wrote:^Luke wasn't a mental midget like Kwame and Smush. His body just wasn't NBA caliber and his talent was lackluster outside of his passing skills. Kobe particularly hates guys who are mental midgets. If you work hard and try your very best, but just don't have the talent or skill to measure up, he's not the kind of person to hate on you.

That's how Fish got Kobe's respect: because he too worked his butt off to max what he had. Which explains why Kobe has so much man love for Fish even though Fish can't play anymore.

Walton worked his butt off and was an extremely heady player, an excellent glue guy in the triangle. Granted, his body wasn't NBA-ready, it was brittle like his dad's.

Mihm was actually OK, a serviceable center averaging 10 and 6 as the starter until his ankle broke apart in March, 2006 and the Lakers definitely missed him against Phoenix in the playoffs. He missed the entire 2006-07 season, then played just 41 more games during the following two seasons. Even now, he's just 33, a year younger than Kobe. So it's very plausible that he'd still be collecting paychecks as a backup center somewhere if it hadn't been for that ankle.

Parker averaged 11 and 3 during his stint with the Lakers so the NBA-level athleticism and talent were there. But oh that 'tude... 'nuff said.

K. Brown was a superb defensive center ... because he didn't have to rely on his hands, I mean his stone hands, at that end of the floor. Which is why he's still collecting paychecks.

T. Brown. Good bye.
Atkins. Serviceable but never more than backup quality
Samaki Walker. Didn't Kobe punch him on the bus once?
Slava. Had some talent, but very lazy with poor concentration.
Cook. Can't believe he still finds work around the league.
Morrison. The knee injury killed whatever chance he had.
Madsen. Lovable guy. But what was he doing on any NBA rosters?
Gump. The big massive ripoff. That one good year suckered us all.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby ben_ready on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Smush sucked so bad them orange Jersey shore people made his name one of their slang words yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby cthroatgtr on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Kwame was weak minded and it was his undoing. He had the physical talent but not the mental toughness to ever excel. Better suited as a backup.
cthroatgtr

Postby beliefkobe24 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:34 pm

that steal plays a key role in that series.althought it is smush did that steal,i do not think he is a qualified point guard.
beliefkobe24

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Some more of Kobe's comments about Kwame
James Park of Sheridan Hoops wrote:Bryant also made sure he said everything he wanted to say about Kwame Brown, calling him a great defender but offensively challenged, from Medina of Los Angeles Times: “I don’t know how he convinced Philadelphia to cough up $7 million a year,” said Bryant, slightly inflating Brown’s salary. “They want to lock us out, but they’ll pay him $7 million.” Another reporter relayed to Bryant that Brown said last year he taught former Lakers center Andrew Bynum ”everything he knows.”"You know what, he may have showed Andrew a couple of things though, especially on screen-and-roll coverages and one-on-one defense. Offensively? No way,” Bryant said. “Kwame, he’s a great defensive player. He’s one of the best defensive big men I’ve ever seen. But in terms of offense, he was challenged.” Another reporter sarcastically gave Brown credit for at least stepping foot on the court even if his mind wasn’t always there. ”He was present,” Bryant said with a smirk. “He was there.” ”So it was like ‘Weekend at Bernie’s'?” another reporter asked. Bryant laughed. “Exactly,” he said.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:56 pm

It was Golden State who paid Kwame $7 million for ONE year, not two. Kobe got the team wrong and the terms wrong, but Kwame did make $7 million recently, which is ridiculous and Kobe's opinion is valid.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LakerFanIam on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:59 am

Punk-101 wrote:Taking the Suns to 7 games with that roster is one of the more underrated playoff performances of all time (both Kobe and Phil).

Agreed... The Phil's pound inside gameplan & Kobe's play were incredible.
LakerFanIam

Postby Chivalry on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Let it go, Kobe. Be the bigger man, especially now that things are going well.
Chivalry

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:06 pm

^ You do realize that he was having a conversation right?

It's not like Kobe brought this up out of nowhere. Someone asked him about the dynamic between Nash and Kobe regarding the MVPs. He gave an open and honest answer.

Let what go? He didn't just bring this up out of nowhere. He was being honest. I have absolutely zero problem with what he said.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kblo247 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Kobe's response FB

There comes a point when one must make a decision. Are YOU willing to do what it takes to push the right buttons to elevate those around you? If the answer is YES, are you willing to push the right buttons even if it means being perceived as the villain? Here's where the true responsibility of being a leader lies. Sometimes you must prioritize the success of the team ahead of how your own image is perceived. The ability to elevate those around you is more than simply sharing the ball or making teammates feel a certain level of comfort. It's pushing them to find their inner beast, even if they end up resenting you for it at the time.

I'd rather be perceived as a winner than a good teammate. I wish they both went hand in hand all the time but that's just not reality. I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses.

This is my way. It might not be right for YOU but all I can do is share my thoughts. It’s on YOU to figure out which leadership style suits you best.

Will check back in with you soon.. Till then

Mamba out
Last edited by kblo247 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kblo247

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Everything he said was fine, except for mentioning Chris Mihm. Mihm was a good guy who got destroyed by an ankle injury.
OX1947

Postby kblo247 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:05 am

Reminds me of MJ to Tex: " There is no I in team but there is in win, and I win"

That sums up Kobe and his approach in a nutshell as there is no one of his generation since MJ and Scottie period who has won more than him, which is his job, not to be liked

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:06 am

Kobe isn't biting his tongue, he's just saying things he probably was holding back some years ago in fear of more media scrutiny. He feels like he has nothing more to prove or no one else to please.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Congo Cash on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:46 am

OX1947 wrote:Kwame Brown was 10 times worse then Smush.

:man10: :man10: :man10:

Kwame is still in the NBA even if he is overpaid, while no one even remembers Smush Parker (except Laker fans who had to endure the pain :man10: )... Even his D-League tenure was terrible...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby trodgers on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Kwame is still a guy I root for. He really is a very good defensive player; he's a so-so rebounder, and he isn't much of an offensive player (with some terrible hands). I liked nothing about Smush Parker. Not his game, not his attitude.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby last stand on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:19 pm

kwame was abused as a child, that alone made me really queasy when fans would boo him
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Kwame wasn't very good, but he had some aspects of his game that were... sorta useful for us at times. Smush had physical gifts but his attitude was horrible, he played no defense and look at him now:

That's just horrible. He never belonged in the league.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Smush couldn't hold a candle to Kwame...

That's how pathetic Smush was.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion