Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Thread: Enjoy it while you can; 2013/14 could be it

Postby jlkr on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:08 pm

I've been saying it for the last few years now: treasure this time watching Kobe cuz there isn't much time left. I think he's gone after next summer. All those nagging injuries ... he has worked like a maniac all these years and his body is telling him to give it a rest. And while he doesn't appear to be listening at the moment, trust me, he's listening.

I'll be sad when he leaves. 18 seasons! What a body of work! but if there's one constant about the game all these years, it's that everybody gets old. Kobe defied Father Time as long as he could, but Father Time always wins in the end.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby 432J on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:12 pm

i just can't imagine what it'll be like when kobe retires

i've grown up watching kobe my whole life, i'll be holding back tears the day he retires. i just wish this season wouldn't have ended up like this
432J

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:23 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 1m
Although @kobebryant will be in the locker room in the team meeting, he will record some words of tribute for @SHAQ to be played.

Should be interesting.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

karacha wrote:For some reason I think he will retire next summer.

As do I. Call it a gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong, but I would rather know before the season starts that it'll be his final year. He deserves a farewell tour just like the one MJ had. Rather than Kobe announcing it after he's already played his last game or having a season end with an injury that forces him into retirement.
JSM

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Anyone think he pulls an MJ and retires for a year only to come back for one last championship run?
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:27 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:Anyone think he pulls an MJ and retires for a year only to come back for one last championship run?

If he does retire at the end of next season I could definitely see this happening. He would probably feel so refreshed after sitting out an entire year and would want to return, especially if the Lakers are still a solid team. Might not make Dwight too happy though.
XXIV

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 am

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 462&type=1

looking at the pictures made me sad that hes gonna be gone very soon. im thankful i was able to watch every single game of his amazing career and hope he sticks around just a little bit longer.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 am

lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:This isn't a money grab. If he tried to force the Lakers right now to give him anything over 12 million dollars past next season, I'm sure they'd tell him to take a hike. No one is worth 30 million anymore, not even LeBron. At least from a basketball standpoint.

Lebron & Kobe are both worth 30 million, just not when there's other players on the team that send you over the lux tax. I'd take Kobe at 30 million & dumping Pau for a backup C who makes the minimum over forcing Kobe to take 12M or retire.

They're really not worth that much unless you can somehow find a way to field a competitive team around them for only 20 million dollars. Because anything over that is a minimum contract or mini-MLE money. As far as building a team goes, they're not worth that much money. Certainly not Kobe. LeBron is the best player in the game, he might have the best argument for that amount, but really he doesn't have much of an argument there either.

I'll put it this way, to get to that amount AND field a competitive team would take multiple rookie contracts, veterans signing for cheap, and the player being in his prime. Kobe from 2006 for 30 million in today's CBA would be the closest to "worth it", but even then he's not.

You simply cannot fill out the rest of the roster and be a Championship caliber team when one man takes up 3/5 of the cap.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 am

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/03/31/kobe-plans-to-decide-future-this-summer/
Is your sense that next season will be your last?

“As I sit here right now, yeah.”

Is there anything the Lakers can say that would make it more likely you played beyond next season?

“No,” Bryant told NBA.com. “It’s my decision. It’s really about what I want to do, if I want to train and be psychotic with my training. That’s what it comes down to. It’s really how I’m feeling physically.”

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 am

No, it's April Fools. This can't be real. Even though this came out yesterday I'm just going to believe it's April Fools related because Kobe's not retiring. Ever. Nope.

Nah. It's not happening. :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 am

He has no reason to keep playing beyond 2013/2014 ( passing KAJ would happen around 2017 assuming he keeps scoring 25+ a game) ... not worth sticking around for early playoffs exits
wcsoldier81

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 am

JSM wrote:
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 1m
Although @kobebryant will be in the locker room in the team meeting, he will record some words of tribute for @SHAQ to be played.

Should be interesting.

"...you could have been a better leader and come to camp in shape..fat [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]"

shots fired
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:He has no reason to keep playing beyond 2013/2014 ( passing KAJ would happen around 2017 assuming he keeps scoring 25+ a game) ... not worth sticking around for early playoffs exits

That's like saying US citizens have no reason to stick around the US because the economic outlook isn't great.

Things change and when you're in a great situation already, you expect things to come around in a great way.

If we retool this summer into a legit contender again, which is possible when you have Bryant and a healthy Howard, then he might opt to re-sign for a cheaper contract at a chance to win more Championships.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:49 am

Yeah, this is Kobe we're talking about. The dude is a basketball sociopath. If his body can hang and the LAKERS PUT TOGETHER A CONTENDER why the eff would he leave?

All this talk is real, but could duly be serving to prod management into making some tough a** decisions to make some much needed changes.
Chillbongo

Postby retro_nights on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:50 am

Its possible he plays longer if he accepts being a second or third option in order to win. Otherwise, which I think is the likely option, he won't play and would rather retire.

He's proven he can score and can probably score for a few more years. He could also faciliate. But being the focal option, for additional years down the road, would most likely have me thinking of him like Jordan on the Wizards - lots of nights proving he still has it - but his team struggling to make the playoffs or find wins.

I selfishly want Kobe to play until he's 40. :freak2:
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 am

retro_nights wrote:if he accepts being a second or third option

In terms of payroll....

Third option? Come on guys. This is getting ridiculous. We're not talking about 2020.
Chillbongo

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 pm

3rd option :man10:

Kobe 3 seasons from now will still be very capable of 20+ PPG. Does he want to put his body through 3 more seasons of this though? That's the only question.
lakersin4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:Anyone think he pulls an MJ and retires for a year only to come back for one last championship run?

Kobe has already said that there is not a chance in hell that he does that. Even though that doesn't guarantee that he doesn't do that I'm very confident that when he's gone he'll be done. You can just tell even tell that Kobe is becoming at peace with his time on the court coming to an end soon.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 pm

lakersin4 wrote:3rd option :man10:

Kobe 3 seasons from now will still be very capable of 20+ PPG. Does he want to put his body through 3 more seasons of this though? That's the only question.

This.

It's about a) can he physically deal with playing at THIS level at THIS age in the NBA? and b) what do the Lakers look like in terms of Championships?

If both of those are "great" then he's in for at least another season. That's how I see this going.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm

One last championship run? LOL.
JGC

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Don't want to deal with thinking about it until he officially says when his last season will be. For now I'm just enjoying the Kobe while I still can just as I always have. What an incredible talent he is, the love for the game & the competitiveness of Kobe Bryant is unmatched.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:18 pm

That would be pretty crazy if he called it quits at the end of the season. If Kobe retires, will Nash really want to stick around? He's not as effective anymore, and he's getting banged up, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Nash retired.

This is depressing.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Kobe got duped by a Kevin Ware imposter on twitter

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/04/01 ... -bryant-4/
JSM

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Frank Dux wrote:That would be pretty crazy if he called it quits at the end of the season. If Kobe retires, will Nash really want to stick around? He's not as effective anymore, and he's getting banged up, so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Nash retired.

This is depressing.

Well if he does, I don't really want Dwight to stick around either.I want the Lakers to go into full rebuilding mode through the draft. This team needs new and young blood.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:43 pm

JSM wrote:Kobe got duped by a Kevin Ware imposter on twitter

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/04/01 ... -bryant-4/

I agree with Kobe that it is pretty low for some a**hat to make these fake accounts.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion