Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Discussion: drooling for a win

Postby checkers09 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:51 pm

I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I've been seeing the videos of Kobe's most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.
"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"
"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"
"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."
I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.
"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."
It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM.
We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.
I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."
"Huh?"
"Like, the conditioning. Good work."
"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."
"So when did you finish?"
"Finish what?"
"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"
"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."
My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn't a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.
Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.
Rob.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19 ... _athletic/

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby seasonVet24 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Holy COW!!! :bow: :bow:
seasonVet24

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 pm

Kobe is the reason that LBJ, Wade, Melo and KD all began playing better D and improving their work ethics (although KD was a gym rat anyway). The dude is unreal.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Lantz and McDonald and Meyers ALWAYS mentioned Bryant's insane [OK fanatical] work ethic which I thought was probably no less than other dedicated players just without the skill set and killer attitude. THEN I read a story like this? These accounts separate him from others today and from the past. I don't think Jordan had that intensity in preparing himself to be the best though his own gaudy accomplishments speak for itself. I mean he was out gambling and golfing while Bryant has no such distractions of his own.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:22 pm

I think Jordan was more gifted so he probably didn't HAVE to do this kind of stuff...

Certainly Kobe is a maniac and I'm sure even more insane stories will release after the man hangs them up.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:I think Jordan was more gifted so he probably didn't HAVE to do this kind of stuff...

Certainly Kobe is a maniac and I'm sure even more insane stories will release after the man hangs them up.

Bryant was asked how he would like to be remembered and he stated as "a player who overachieved" which I find very strange considering how talented he is to begin with. Your first comment makes sense of it all somehow.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Aside from having insane work ethics etc. -- Kobe really is an amazing athlete. He is not the strongest, or biggest -- but he is physically fit, his tolerance for pain is unreal and his body can withstand all that pressure without too much trouble. Most people in their 30s -- and I'm talking about fit, young people -- just can't do this. There is no way. I am older then Kobe, but still very fit. Yet, there is no way I could wake up at 4, work out for 7 hours and then continue to function during the day. I wasn't able to do this in my best basketball days, actually. Not that I was lazy, or did not want to work... my body simply can't do that.

Kobe should write books about his conditioning, nutrition etc. when he retires. I think he could sell many copies. And if he includes some interesting inside stories... even better. Or he could get a degree in sports psychology, nutrition or whatever interests him. He's quite smart and eloquent, and besides... he needs to do something in his free time.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:36 pm

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I think Jordan was more gifted so he probably didn't HAVE to do this kind of stuff...

Bryant was asked how he would like to be remembered and he stated as "a player who overachieved" which I find very strange considering how talented he is to begin with. Your first comment makes sense of it all somehow.

I've been thinking lately that even as gifted physically as this man is (and boy is he blessed), there's other guys out there that are better. Jordan was bigger, stronger, and could palm the ball. Iverson was much faster and quicker with his feet. Carter could jump higher. McGrady was bigger. LeBron is maybe the greatest physical specimen ever in the league.

Those are all guys that he's been compared to. I think when everything is said and done he'll be given more credit for his work ethic and his absolutely manic dedication than he will his leaping ability or his ability to get to the rim. He'll be known for his footwork, his jump shot, his body placement, and how when it came to winning nobody wanted it more.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:40 pm

...makes me nostalgic IF O'Neal matched that sort of dedication instead of chowing down several large pizzas after an MVP season while they were a tandem and the possibilities it would have brought. Oh well, that's The Big Water Under The Bridge.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:43 pm

gcclaker wrote:...makes me nostalgic IF O'Neal matched that sort of dedication...

...he would be the GOAT, actually. I'm 100% serious. He had unbelievable physical gifts for basketball, but some people just don't have the mental toughness. Some people do have the height, the hops, the length, the creativity -- even the dedication -- but their body might break down too easily. See: Tracy McGrady.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm

I don't think MJ was more gifted. He had better tools to work with than Kobe. It really reminds me of a guy playing golf with his grandfathers old wooden clubs who is playing at the same level as a great player playing with the best Nike clubs. MJ was great but it has been widely been said that his hands were his biggest assets that seperated him from his peers. Kobe doesn't have any of those "excessively" cool attributes like size, extra quickness, superior handles, strength. He didn't have any of that but he did have an abundance of work. He improved his game every year. How the guy isn't more celebrated is beyond me.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm

karacha wrote:
gcclaker wrote:...makes me nostalgic IF O'Neal matched that sort of dedication...

...he would be the GOAT, actually. I'm 100% serious. He had unbelievable physical gifts for basketball, but some people just don't have the mental toughness. Some people do have the height, the hops, the length, the creativity -- even the dedication -- but their body might break down too easily. See: Tracy McGrady.

Shaq could of easily been the GOAT. He was absolutely underrated with his footwork, speed and ball handling ability. He had the work ethic of a stoned teenager in the middle of a weed field though.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:56 pm

^To some being bigger, faster and stronger than others is a curse. It is so easy for them that it negates the need to work for it and hone your craft. Abdul-Jabbar spoke of how O'Neal declined his tutelage when his reps [Sgt. Harrison?] thought he would just bully and throw it down over anyone in his path. I have to add too that O'Neal was the only player I've ever seen of his size that could take the ball off the glass, power it up court with handles like a guard.

Not Bryant though. Only two years ago or maybe three, he spent time with Olajuwon adding to his post moves like the Show and Go. I also don't see too many [OK no one] that can use their left [weak hand] to a certain degree of effectiveness. His passing is also VERY underrated. I've lost count of how many drives culminating with in traffic scoring set-ups Bryant has done with his interior passing.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:14 pm

I mentioned it about a week ago but it was like half time of a game and drew no further comments. When you take into consideration the sheer level of craft of all things basketball that Kobe has honed to perfection, including a Sky Hook if needed, in case knee jump reaction might say Jabbar.....who has ever been more graceful on the floor to watch than Kobe Bryant? The sheer size of the repertoire has to be taken into consideration, due to his perfection with all of it. The unparalleled footwork as well.

Everything about him from bringing the ball across center court with the way he moves while casually dribbling to the unlimited arsenal of perfected moves and shots is beautiful to watch.
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Yea Gcc- Shaq couldn't "learn" from anyone
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby jbiggs on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:46 pm

clubkobe :bow:
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Cleansed on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:21 pm

2. When talk turns to this season’s NBA MVP, the names brought up quickest are those of Miami’s LeBron James, OKC’s Kevin Durant and New York’s Carmelo Anthony. All are having phenomenal seasons and would be deserving winners. But if the Lakers make the playoffs, it would be an injustice if Bryant didn’t win it. He has done everything he could to keep the team from collapsing through coaching changes, injuries, bad basketball and reported locker room disagreements. He has taken on different roles for the Lakers all season long — not just for a game or two. Early on he was leading the league in scoring, then became the de facto point guard when it made the team better. He’s also been the defensive stopper, definitely a team leader, and sometimes all of the above roles in the same game. Said head coach Mike D’Antoni: “I don’t even want to think about where we’d be without Kobe doing what he’s done for us.” Actually, coach, you wouldn’t have to think about it — your season would already be over. And is there any better definition of an MVP?

http://www.foxsportswest.com/03/03/13/Lakers-Hawks-500-Kobe-Bryant-playoff-cha/landing_lakers.html?blockID=873355&feedID=8686
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby last stand on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:26 pm

remember, we have to win 50 games
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby dj vitus on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Lawson wins Player of the Week over Kobe.

Kobe wasn't even a nominee, yet he averaged more points AND rebounds, and also tied him with assists. :man10: What a freakin joke.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:44 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:Image

Just awesome :bow: :bow: :jam2: :jam2:

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
Mark Medina wrote:Dwight Howard on Kobe Bryant's play: "He goes hard. Balls out. Serge Ibaka."

https://twitter.com/MedinaLakersNBA/status/308681258194587649

LMAO
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Cleansed wrote:
2. When talk turns to this season’s NBA MVP, the names brought up quickest are those of Miami’s LeBron James, OKC’s Kevin Durant and New York’s Carmelo Anthony. All are having phenomenal seasons and would be deserving winners. But if the Lakers make the playoffs, it would be an injustice if Bryant didn’t win it. He has done everything he could to keep the team from collapsing through coaching changes, injuries, bad basketball and reported locker room disagreements. He has taken on different roles for the Lakers all season long — not just for a game or two. Early on he was leading the league in scoring, then became the de facto point guard when it made the team better. He’s also been the defensive stopper, definitely a team leader, and sometimes all of the above roles in the same game. Said head coach Mike D’Antoni: “I don’t even want to think about where we’d be without Kobe doing what he’s done for us.” Actually, coach, you wouldn’t have to think about it — your season would already be over. And is there any better definition of an MVP?

http://www.foxsportswest.com/03/03/13/Lakers-Hawks-500-Kobe-Bryant-playoff-cha/landing_lakers.html?blockID=873355&feedID=8686

I've expressed my sentiments about this whole MVP thing.
Jazzygirl205

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 pm

IF Lakers somehow win 50 games...yes, Kobe should hands down be the MVP.
FabFourLakers

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Kobe can't win MVP because....well...ummm....he....s*** (Changes criteria for MVP so that Kobe can't win)
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Kobe can't win MVP. Lebron won it last year for the next 3 years. Lets face it if Lebron was doing what Kobe is doing with a team murdered by injuries all we would hear is how it is the greatest feat ever. Kobe got his life time achievement MVP. Funny KD will eventually get a life time achievement MVP too.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:40 pm

the lakers would have to go 20-2 for kobe to win mvp. so no he isnt winning mvp.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion