Kobe will test the Free Agent market

Kobe will test the Free Agent market

Postby clublakers on Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:33 pm

From today's Daily:

Bryant strongly hinted on a television show Friday night that he may opt out of his contract after the 2003-04 season. Bryant is due to make $13.5 million next season and would get $14.6 million in the final year of the deal. The Lakers offered Bryant a three-year, $54.8 million extension, but he hasn't accepted it. "I like options. I like learning things," Bryant said after practice Saturday. "I like exploring different situations." Bryant was asked if he'd leave the Lakers. "You trying to start some (mess) right now," Bryant said, smiling. "I don't know. Never say never. I always want to stay here. I always want to finish my career out here, but you never know."

----------------------------------------------

Sick timing as usual for the press to bring up such a topic.

I'm getting lots of e-mail from concerned fans, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Kobe has yet to sign an extension, and it would be silly of him to show his hand and say "I have no interest in signing with anyone other than the Lakers." That sort of response does not help your negotiations.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Reddy on Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:17 am

O i hope he signs
Please sign it Kobe!
yeah it would be silly, because this is the team that he got his 3, almost 4 rings in and the numebr could mount, he's only 24
so the way i think :if phil and shaq extend later on, kobe will too
or it can be the other way around
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby ZenMaster on Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:37 am

Yeah, talk about your distractions and crummy timing!...I sincerely hope you all are right about this and this is just "posturing" on Kobe's part to get the most $ he can from Jerry B. (esp. since Shaq will get his), b/c last I saw yesterday Kobe said he "wants to play on a team that will be on an ELITE level for years to come" (hint hint, Mitch). But deep down, he has GOT to know that as long as he has Shaq on his side and Phil J. at the helm, I mean come on, how bad can his chances of winning it all get???
ZenMaster

Postby Reddy on Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:27 am

teh chance is great
because when that trio is together, plus the effectiveness of the role players, lakers are simply the conquerer of the throne, and they cannot be knocked of unless, phil, shaq or kobe leave the team
so dont leave!!!!!!!!!! :man1:
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Man_of_Steel on Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:33 am

Hey Guys!

From what I am hearing on the Local Los Angeles Radio. It sounds certain that Kobe wants to test the Free Agent Market. Although, I hope Mitchell Kuptchak can do something about and offer a great contract for a great player. But the thing I am afraid of is that Jerry Buss. He is known for his Cheapness. :bang:
Kobe is a great player. I hope he a franchise player.

I will have more opinion later

GO LAKERS !!!

MOS
Sacremento Will never be Capital of California
Shaq
Man_of_Steel

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:46 pm

The only reason he did not sign the extension is to see the new collective bargaining agreement take into effect. By not signing he might get more money from the Lakers, which he truly deserves.

And today, he is already upset that the media started talking about this and making some false claims about his situation. THE REPORTER TOTALLY TOOK HIS COMMENTS OUT OF CONTEXT. GOOD, MAKE HIM UPSET. HE IS JUST GOING TO USE THIS AS MOTIVATION TO TORCH EVERYONE IN THE PLAYOOFS.

KOBE ALREADY STATED THAT IF YOU ARE GAMBLING MAN THAT WANTS TO WIN, MAKE SURE THAT YOU BET THAT HE STAYS IN A LAKERS UNIFORM. SO THAT SHOULD STOP ALL THE TALK ABOUT KOBE LEAVING.

THINKING AND TALIKNG ABOUT KOBE LEAVING SHOULD NOT BE MENTIONED. WE ALL KNOW THAT HE WILL STAY. HE HAS EVERYTHING HE WANTS IN PLAYING IN LOS ANGELES. THE SECOND BIGGEST MEDIA CAPITAL, THE MOST STORID BASKETBALL FRANCHISE, AND NO OTHER CITY CAN BEAT THE WEATHER AND LIFESTYLE.

WHERE DO YOU WANT TO PLAY AND LIVE, LOS ANGELES OR MEMPHIS???

IF YOU CHOOSE MEMPHIS, THEN YOU HAVE TO BE A CRACKHEAD!!!!

KOBE ALREADY SAID THAT HE JUST BOUGHT AND BUILT A HOUSE HERE AND HAS NO INTENTION OF LEAVING IT.

KOBE KNOWS THAT HE HAS A FAMILY NOW AND WANTS TO MAKE THEIR LIVES AS STABLE AS POSSIBLE. HE KNOWS THAT MOVING HIMSELF AND HIS FAMILY TO A NEW CITY IS NOT GOOD FOR AN INFANT CHILD, LIKE NATALIA. KOBE KNOWS BETTER.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakerqueen on Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:28 pm

Kobe won't sign with anyone else unless it is Jerry West, and I think it would have to be a very good deal in order for him to do that. He has never said that he is going to opt out of his contract. I don't think he will leave since his wife has strong ties to southern California, they just had a baby, and they built a new house. Not to mention that he has won three championship rings here, soon to be four. In the LA Times today, Kobe said if he were a gambler, he would bet that he would still be here. I'm not going to believe anything until I hear something from Kobe's lips or see him in a new uniform. Even if Phil and Shaq leave, it would give Kobe an opportunity to win a championship on his own. For those who think Jerry Buss is a cheap, don't forget the guy who owns the team on the other side of the arena. The thing that will make the Lakers want to keep Kobe is 1) he's the best in the league, 2) he's still only 24, and 3) he would destroy them every time he played against them after that. Kobe will want to stay here because of his wife and daughter, his championships, it's been his favorite team since he was a little kid, and the great weather. (Well, maybe the last one's a little weak, but the weather is definitely a lot better here than in Memphis... and I don't think Vanessa would particularly like the weather there) Anyway, this is just one more example of the media running off at the mouth and trying to stir up trouble. Like T.J. Simers of the LA TImes said, the media will be the reason Kobe leaves, if he ever does. Kobe has said time and time again he would love to finish his career here. Why would the Lakers want to get rid of one of the best player in NBA history? Doesn't quite make sense, since they can offer him more money than any other team. So, I don't think there's anything to worry about until Kobe actually does opt out of his contract or signs with another team.
Lakerqueen

Postby clublakers on Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:21 am

Agreed that we really shouldn't worry about Kobe viewing ANY other team as a better opportunity, but he could easily be using the opportunity as leverage to force management to build a team around him instead of Shaq.

There's nothing like planting a seed of doubt to make things happen in your favor, either for the team or for your own financial gains, both which would be reasonable requests.

True or not, we may never know, but it must kill Kobe to bust his butt during the off season to improve his game and conditioning while Shaq only plays two months of the year. Kobe expect more, and we all know it (well, except for Shaq).

In the end Kobe must play in a big market, and New York is knee deep in contracts until 2050, so LA will be his home for the rest of his career.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby FirstLady on Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:45 pm

Pay the man what he wants! He's definitely a hall-o-famer!
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Reddy on Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:33 pm

I agree Perfectly
the three man punhc is what got us those rings,
we lose one, no ring, we lose 2, no ring, we lose 3, no ring
its that simple
its the dynasty now that has the spotlight on kobe
:man11:
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue May 13, 2003 12:15 pm

Well, Kobe is developing a VERY tightly knit relationship with Shaq and Fisher, and George. He won't leave as long as he is winning rings and if Shaq agrees to let him carry the load offensively by 26, Kobe will sign on and so will Shaq...
Snakell Beast

Return to Lakers Discussion