Laker players comment on new flopping rule

Re: Laker players comment on new flopping rule

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 pm

The league also has an ulterior motive for doing this. Flopping is embarassing to watch. Casual observers watch NBA players flop and are turned off by what they see. And what makes it even worse is that in this day and age of youtube, the flops are spread virally around the web. All those viral vids showing "Chris Fall" and "Fake Griffin" are not good for the "NBA image" which Stern and the owners want to protect. I wouldn't be surprised if players are targeted by these fines depending on whether their flops are being showcased on social media.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:48 pm

:bang: :mad1: :man10:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby MadMax on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:56 pm

The Chris Bosh and Baron Davis ones are the worst. :man10:
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Murdock on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 am

KB24 wrote:My problem with the rule is that it comes after the game...so you might have lost the game because of a dumb flop and then a multi-millionaire like Paul has to pay 5000 bucks...thats nothing.

I think its better than nothing though. Its just very hard to figure out what a flop is, especially if there is contact. There will be too many calls that can go either way even after watching it 10 times on TV.

I think the best way would be for someone to make a mix of all questionable call during a first half and refs would look at it in half time and hand out a technical for each flop ... after the game same process ... just after the game technical ... also first flop would be fined $50,000 and every other one with additional $50,000 from the previous one ... this would limit them financially and with playing time due to the technicals ...
Murdock

Postby kray28 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:47 am

MadMax wrote:The Chris Bosh and Baron Davis ones are the worst. :man10:

Nuffin beats the Heliflopter
kray28

Postby kray28 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:43 am

NBA flopping video featuring CP3 and DWade is up on NBA.com. It's a video designed to show what will and won't be penalized, with some interesting choices for examples. Lakers are featured once, with Gallo flopping on a Pau screen.
kray28

Postby JGC on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 am

Murdock wrote:
KB24 wrote:My problem with the rule is that it comes after the game...so you might have lost the game because of a dumb flop and then a multi-millionaire like Paul has to pay 5000 bucks...thats nothing.

I think its better than nothing though. Its just very hard to figure out what a flop is, especially if there is contact. There will be too many calls that can go either way even after watching it 10 times on TV.

I think the best way would be for someone to make a mix of all questionable call during a first half and refs would look at it in half time and hand out a technical for each flop ... after the game same process ... just after the game technical ... also first flop would be fined $50,000 and every other one with additional $50,000 from the previous one ... this would limit them financially and with playing time due to the technicals ...

This doesn't seem very fair. I mean, some guy on a 10-day contract embellishes contact and then has to pay a substantial portion of his pay. This works for someone with a monster contract, but is way too punitive for most of the guys on smaller contracts.

Plus, you've now made flopping one of the worst possible offenses since other monetary punishments are less so those will have to go up to $100K-$500K depending on the offense. I'm not sure bankrupting players is the best solution, haha. (But it would probably work!)
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:02 am

Just watched it and I'm already nervous now about the subjectivity. The Turiaf play looks exactly the same to me as the other one with Josh Smith.

I suppose the only way they're drawing the line is when the other person flails their legs and falls to the floor.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:19 am

Hopefully they look at flops on the offensive end as well. Some players flop just to draw fouls. It's disgustingly obvious too.
nthydro

Postby Punk-101 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:13 am

kray28 wrote:NBA flopping video featuring CP3 and DWade is up on NBA.com. It's a video designed to show what will and won't be penalized, with some interesting choices for examples. Lakers are featured once, with Gallo flopping on a Pau screen.

Is the narrator Aronra? :man10:

They only focused on "over-embellishments" and not flat out faking contact. I'm sure faking contact that was not even there will be penalized and needless to be pointed out?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:11 pm

The good news is that Chris Paul's antics are going to be targeted.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:44 pm

therealdeal wrote:I suppose the only way they're drawing the line is when the other person flails their legs and falls to the floor.

In other words, if it ends up on youtube or collegehumor and hurts the NBA image, the player will be punished.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm

This will no doubt be a controversial subject. Interesting to see how they'll enforce it.
nthydro

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion