Laker players comment on new flopping rule

Laker players comment on new flopping rule

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:00 am

Dave McMenamin of ESPN wrote: It wasn’t a surprise to anyone that it didn’t take long for Dwight Howard and Steve Nash to come up with a Laurel & Hardy-like repartee.

However, the subject matter of Nash & Howard’s first comedy act after Wednesday’s Los Angeles Lakers practice didn’t seem like laugh-track material.

The NBA announced its new anti-flopping rule on Wednesday, which will penalize players financially after the fact for flopping, based on video review, and, well ... we’ll let Nash & Howard take it away from here:

Howard: “Me and Steve had a play like that today. He flopped and he got away with it, so he should be getting fined.”

(Howard yells over to Nash who is standing in a separate media scrum about 10 feet away.)

Howard: “Steve, you’re fined. I just got off the phone with David Stern.”

Nash: “There’s no video tape in here! … “Sorry, buddy, you’re not going to win this one.”

Howard: “Well, there’s no evidence of the flop, so the NBA rescinded it.”

Not exactly the stuff that will garner the Mark Twain Prize, but perhaps the bigger joke was on the NBA on Wednesday, as no one within the Lakers could seem to agree on whether the rule change would be an effective deterrent against floppers or not.

Kobe Bryant and Metta World Peace agreed that flops were embarrassing.

Bryant: “Shameless flopping, that’s a chump move.”

World Peace: “Flopping is very stupid. It’s not even basketball. I don’t know who taught people how to flop.”

Yet, their overall stance on the rule change varied greatly.

Bryant and Pau Gasol both suggested that in lieu of a fine, technical fouls should be doled out during the course of a game to really have an impact on how players conduct themselves, similar to how international basketball is officiated.

For Howard, who led the league in technicals in 2010-11 with 18, Ts certainly weren’t the way to go.

“There shouldn’t be any techs given,” Howard said. “I think once you give guys techs for flopping, it’s just more money, it really hurts the team and it hurts them later on in the year. I’ve experienced getting a lot of technical fouls, and it’s not a good thing.”

World Peace put the onus on the referees to ignore floppers, swallow the whistle and give the advantage to the offensive player to continue unimpeded to the hoop while the defender who flopped is on the floor.

“You can’t blame the players for adjusting to how they’re reffing the game,” World Peace said. “Now you can’t just take somebody’s money for adjusting to how (the referees) adjusted the rules.”

And Lakers coach Mike Brown just didn’t like the rule at all, questioning how it can be properly enforced after the fact.

“I think it’s tough to determine that,” Brown said. “Because watching it on tape, do you really know if a guy is flopping or not? It’s a subjective call.”

Brown, who has benefitted from having a couple notorious floppers on his teams in the past (Anderson Varejao in Cleveland Cavaliers and Derek Fisher in L.A. come to mind), doesn’t feel like the rule will have an impact on this year’s Lakers squad.

“We should never get fined, because we don’t have any floppers on our team,” Brown said. “That’s all I’m worried about.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Laker players comment on new flopping rule

Postby lakersStan24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:13 am

:man9: lol @ Nash & Howard, I Agree with what Metta Said just ignore the players who flop and give the othe team the advantage.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:22 am

wcsoldier81

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 am

Dwight, you dont flop, so why worry? I agree with Kobe and Pau, ideally I want to see techs. I said in the other thread I wish they'd give out technicals after the third offense.

In a perfect world Ron's right, refs should just not reward floppers, but if they were competent to begin with this wouldn't even be an issue. The nightly offenders like those chumps on the Clippers team would stop doing it if the refs quit rewarding them.

I was also disappointed when I read a tweet earlier that the league said they most likely would not be making it public when a player is fined. IMO the shame of being known publicly as a flopper with multiple infractions would be a much more effective deterrent than even fines or technicals.

Step in the right direction if the league actually enforces this properly though.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 am

Shouldn't really affect us since none of our players are really floppers. It'll have a huge impact on the other team in L.A.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby ben_ready on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 am

Damn Stern smh way to shed the title of being money hungry, I mean why even have a players union!! I'm with metta, forget monetary fines,just don't give them the call, or at worst, make em sit for 2 mins and they will get the picture. Plus they can't be lax'd on labron for his horrid flops yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby Lakeshow24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:11 am

It will benefit the Lakers squad. We haven't had a bad flopper since Divac. I just wonder if CP3 is prepared to take on another job to make ends meet. Clearly his NBA salary is going to be donated to the cause...
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:34 am

Well the Lakers have commented and are fine with it because they don't flop.......

Let's see what Blake Griffin has to say...

"It's not going to win or lose games for anybody. It's a good way for the NBA to get more money," Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin said.

I'm ok with the NBA getting money from this, if it means pretty average and mediocre players, like Blake, will get exposed for playing the refs and not the game. It might mean that you will have to actually develop a postgame, jumper, free throw shooting and defensive game.

"I guess it's good in a sense that it stops any of it from happening," Griffin said after the Clippers' open practice and scrimmage at the Galen Center on Wednesday. "But now you're telling me if it's Game 7 of the NBA Finals and a guy has a chance to make a play he's going to be like, 'Well, do I want this $10,000 or do I want a championship?' "

Don't worry Blake, you will be in the suspension phase by then, but even that doesn't matter because you aren't going to be sniffing the NBA Finals, you're a Clipper.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:14 am

Biff seems pretty upset about this. :man10:
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby LakerFan1980 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:07 am

It's about time!
LakerFan1980

Postby JGC on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 am

Well, whether I agree with this particular rule change will depend on when they decide to fine players for flopping.

Is flopping = when a player exaggerates contact when there wasn't any?

or....

Is flopping = when a player exaggerates the amount of contact even if there was some?

If it's the former, then good. If it is the latter, then that opens up a huge can of worms IMO, and many of our players COULD be fined regularly.
JGC

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 am

My problem with the rule is that it comes after the game...so you might have lost the game because of a dumb flop and then a multi-millionaire like Paul has to pay 5000 bucks...thats nothing.

I think its better than nothing though. Its just very hard to figure out what a flop is, especially if there is contact. There will be too many calls that can go either way even after watching it 10 times on TV.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby kray28 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:13 am

Commenting on the rule itself...I'd agree that it needs to have more teeth than just a fine.

But the fact that they are doing at least something about it is a positive step in the right direction. If the fine is per flop...then $5000 for each flop will add up real quick for guys like CP3. And it may become an effective deterrent.
kray28

Postby karacha on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 am

I would like techs and suspensions better.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 am

I'd say a "finable" flop is when a player sells contact that results in a foul or some time of advantage for his team. There has to be an advantage gained.

Also I think part of the point here is that many flops aren't detectable by the refs during real time. It's only possible to see in the film afterwards, which is why the penalties come post game.

I think it would be really hard to set up a system for instantaneously penalizing flops.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:08 am

KB24 wrote:My problem with the rule is that it comes after the game...so you might have lost the game because of a dumb flop and then a multi-millionaire like Paul has to pay 5000 bucks...thats nothing.

I think its better than nothing though. Its just very hard to figure out what a flop is, especially if there is contact. There will be too many calls that can go either way even after watching it 10 times on TV.

This is a great point and one where I feel like the 2nd paragraph from the NBA should have read:

"In addition to the fines, our referees will be more willing to let a play continue if they suspect a flop occured. Meaning that during a game, should a player choose to flop and pay the monetary penalty for a chance to win the game, the referee will be more likely to allow the play to continue than to give the offensive player a foul."

I don't think the subjectivity is going to be too much of an issue. If they can't tell, they won't make the call 99% of the time I think. Besides, plays like charges and blocking fouls are extremely subjective and they are used very frequently.

Again, I'll just be interested to see whether or not they go after the stars like Paul and Griffin who make games unwatchable with their antics.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 am

Can the CLippers win a single game if they can't flop?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Thenextgreat on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:32 am

I hope they publicize who is getting fined for flopping...they should have a flopper fine list for public viewing :man10: at the end of the year give out a flopping award the "MFP award" to who was fined the most money...
Thenextgreat

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:34 am

therealdeal wrote:
KB24 wrote:My problem with the rule is that it comes after the game...so you might have lost the game because of a dumb flop and then a multi-millionaire like Paul has to pay 5000 bucks...thats nothing.

This is a great point and one where I feel like the 2nd paragraph from the NBA should have read:

"In addition to the fines, our referees will be more willing to let a play continue if they suspect a flop occured. Meaning that during a game, should a player choose to flop and pay the monetary penalty for a chance to win the game, the referee will be more likely to allow the play to continue than to give the offensive player a foul."

I don't think the subjectivity is going to be too much of an issue. If they can't tell, they won't make the call 99% of the time I think. Besides, plays like charges and blocking fouls are extremely subjective and they are used very frequently.

Again, I'll just be interested to see whether or not they go after the stars like Paul and Griffin who make games unwatchable with their antics.

That would be great. But the entire problem with flopping is that refs DO NOT notice/see it. If a ref notices a flop then he would have to continue the play anyway as is also the case already today. A flop that gets noticed never leads to an official time out, rather it leads to a false charge.

The entire problem is that refs during the game are unable to see and recognize a flop. If a ref does indeed recognizes a flop and blows a whistle he needs to be fired by default. This entire flop thing is impossible to see during the game for the refs.

My solution: give every team 3 replay calls during the game. If a team feels it was a flop, they should be allowed to question that call and ask for a slow motion replay. It leads to even more breaks during the game which sucks but it also decreases the incentive to take your chances on a flop. Unfortunetly any other concequence will come after the game.

BTW I would like to know whether this is just for defensive flops or also offensive flops...

what about stuff like this?

LeBronze is particularly pathetic so that came to my mind. That really deserves a suspension.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Finwë on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:17 am

Doc Brown wrote:
"I guess it's good in a sense that it stops any of it from happening," Griffin said after the Clippers' open practice and scrimmage at the Galen Center on Wednesday. "But now you're telling me if it's Game 7 of the NBA Finals and a guy has a chance to make a play he's going to be like, 'Well, do I want this $10,000 or do I want a championship?' "

Really Griffin? You're talking about flopping so you can win an NBA title? UGH, it's just so disfraceful.
flopping = "a guy has a chance to make a play"??? :man10: :man10: What an effing b****.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 am

LOL those flops are just egregious. Utterly disgusting. And a writer for BSPN wrote a piece on how the anti-flopping rule would benefit LeBron. I guess he doesn't really watch him on offense..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:21 am

LOL @ Griffin talking about the NBA Finals
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:35 am

I think all three should be considered flopping (offensively or defensively):

1. Faking contact that wasn't there.
2. Grossly exaggerating contact.
3. Histrionics in response to actual contact.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby kray28 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:35 am

LeBron is bad, but he doesn't even come close to the flopmeisters down in Flop City.

CP3 and the heliflopter is just about as brazen as it gets. Then you have Biff and all his nonsense.
kray28

Postby GoldHammish on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:48 am

Finwë wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Really Griffin? You're talking about flopping so you can win an NBA title? UGH, it's just so disfraceful.
flopping = "a guy has a chance to make a play"??? :man10: :man10: What an effing b****.

Yeah right? First thing I thought when reading that quote. F****** disgraceful.
GoldHammish

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion