Laker priorities

Laker priorities

Postby Laker brain on Wed May 28, 2003 2:35 pm

The lakers had many power forwards this season. (Madsen, Horry, Medvedenko, and Walker) The lakers had one true center which is Shaq. Is the power forward position the only position the lakers should worry about? If we pick up another power forward that leaves us with 2 SG's and 2 PG's and 2SF's 4PF's and 1 Center, with 2 picks in the draft. I think the Lakers should get a Center instead of a PF. When Shaq gets in foul trouble or is injured the lakers become centerless. I think the lakers need to either get a back up center that can play defense agaist the taller PF's like Duncan and Garnett, or trade some of our PF's to make room for a balanced roster, which consists of 2-3 PGs (play makers, Fisher is not a play maker) 2-3 SG's 3SF's 3PF's and 2-3 Centers. I think we need to pick up another 7 footer that can has good footwork and a defensive mindset. We really need a playmaker to make things easier for Kobe and the rest of the squad.

If I was the GM I would try to surround Kobe and Shaq with players that compliment the triangle. I would try to be the best defensive team as possible. The first move would be to get quicker at the point, hopefully pargo improves. We need a third and fourth option, I think we need a defensive minded PF, Juwan Howard has no defense, but will give us some points, PJ Brown would give a hard nosed banger, but even he can't stop duncan and Garnett, and finally Karl Malone who has a nice shot and a big body to box out folks with, he would give us points, boards, but he can't guard quicker forwards and will be destroyed by duncan and garnett.
I think signing pippen to a low salary would be nice, he knows the triangle, but I don't think he is worth the mid level salary.
The Lakers really need another center that can block ths in foul trouble or is injured the lakers become centerless. I think the lakers need to either get a back up center that can play defense agaist the taller PF's like Duncan and Garnett, or trade some of our PF's to make room for a balanced roster, which consists of 2-3 PGs (play makers, Fisher is not a play maker) 2-3 SG's 3SF's 3PF's and 2-3 Centers. I think we need to pick up another 7 footer that can has good footwork and a defensive mindset. We really need a playmaker to make things easier for Kobe and the rest of the squad.

If I was the GM I would try to surround Kobe and Shaq with players that compliment the triangle. I would try to be the best defensive team as possible. The first move would be to get quicker at the point, hopefully pargo improves. We need a third and fourth option, I think we need a defensive minded PF, Juwan Howard has no defense, but will give us some points, PJ Brown would give a hard nosed banger, but even he can't stop duncan and Garnett, and finally Karl Malone who has a nice shot and a big body to box out folks with, he would give us points, boards, but he can't guard quicker forwards and will be destroyed by duncan and garnett.
I think signing pippen to a low salary would be nice, he knows the triangle, but I don't think he is worth the mid level salary.
The Lakers really need another center that can block the shot of duncan, maybe a Theo Ratliff or Alonzo Mourning (a gamble) but if Mourning is even 75% he is better than 90% of the center in the league. I would try to trade some of our PF's to get a decent SF that can back up George, I don't think Fox is going to be as effective, look for a breakout season for devean george. He needs another athletic back up, maybe Travis Outlaw, who knows.
Laker brain

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed May 28, 2003 9:32 pm

Hmm it would appear the system is acting up again. Never the less I got the message and those priorities seem to be right up our alley, quick mail it to Kupchak. Oh but be sure to add a pg like Arenas on that list.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri May 30, 2003 7:52 pm

I am the GM (in this example) for the Lakers. Here is an ordered priority list:

#1. A Power Forward with size and OFFENSE (Juwan Howard, Karl Malone, PJ Brown)
#2. A Point Guard with Outside Shooting, the ability to create his own shot and Defensive ability (Jason Terry, Gilbert Arenas, Gary Payton, Andre Miller)
#3. A Back up Center that can rebound, shot block and is at least 7 feet tall or at least 250 lbs...(Alonzo Mourning, Jake Voskuhl, Vladimir Stepania)
#4. A young and athletic Small Forward to replace Rick Fox during his injury and after he retires (Lamar Odom, Corey Maggette, James Posey)
#5. An athletic Shooting Guard with all around ability as a safety net in case Kareem Rush does not develop...(Travis Hansen)
Snakell Beast

Return to Lakers Discussion