Re: Laker Scouting Reports

Postby 1bartg22 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:20 am

Doc Brown wrote:Lin / Marshall / Nash
Kobe / _____ / Clarkson
____ / Young / _____
Randle / Kelly / ____
____ / Hill / Sacre

This is the roster right now.

PG - I'd drop Marshall for Chalmers (1st choice) or Sessions (2nd choice) in a second. I really fear Marshall is going to drop off and if he could be replaced by one of the above, I'd do it in a second. If we have any cap room or exemptions left to use, I'm using it here. Chalmers is a douche, but he gets the job done and he knows how to play with stars.

SG - Give me Brandon Rush as my sniper to replace Meeks and he's not undersized so that's a big plus.

SF - Give me Aminu as my defender at the 3, with Young backing him up. Bring X back as well and let him work his way back from injury. Kid showed a lot of potential last season and we need to really get his body healthy to handle a full season

PF - Ed Davis. Only 25 and I think he could be our next "bust" player that elevates his game

C - Okafor, he's really the only real center left in FA and if the neck pans out, it should be a no brainer.

Chalmers / Lin / Nash
Kobe / Rush / Clarkson
Aminu / Young / Henry
Randle / Kelly / Davis
Okafor / Hill / Sacre

Nash shouldn't be on the roster.

HELL NO to Chalmers. Dude just sucks. Was Lebron's whipping boy. Disappeared in the Finals. No thank you. I think you're undervaluing Clarkson. LA didn't pay $1.8 mil to have him on the 3rd string PG, let alone as a 3rd string freaking SG! He's going to be our backup AT WORST. I'd like to see DeAndre Kane at that 3rd string SG spot instead. As for Lin, he is, and should be, our starter. WAY better than Chalmers. Starting caliber PG. Here's how I'd replace the PG spot:

Lin/Clarkson/Nash

I'd really like Aminu, assuming we could get him for a good price. Same as Henry. Both are young, with upside. We have no true SF on the roster. I'd like Ed Davis as well. Okafor is a wildcard. Nobody knows whether his back will hold up or not. We didn't pay $9 mil to Hill to sit on the bench. He's starting.

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/Swaggy P/Kane
Aminu/Henry
Randle/Davis/Kelly
Hill/Okafor/Sacre

Mitch always leaves one roster spot open, so here's how I see things maybe playing out, with the roster you made. Brandon Rush might be a good get, assuming we could get him at a good price. But I'm not sure we'll be able to afford him. I'd like to see us get Caron Butler if we don't get Aminu as well.
1bartg22

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:35 am

I honestly would take Evan Turner at this point. I don't know what his market is right now, but I'd take him. Sure he's inefficient, but I know Kobe liked him a few years back in the draft. He seems to me like Wes Johnson: a high pick that's pretty limited but very athletic. I'd take him over Wes.

I'd also take Steimsma, Udoh, Okafor, and Hollins.

Brandon Rush would be an interesting add if we can pull that off. I know the Lakers were looking at him a few years back and I know he struggled a bit to get back from his injuries, but if he's healthy that'd be a great pick-up.

Lin/Clarkson/Marshall
Bryant/Young/Kane
Turner/Rush
Randle/Kelly/Udoh or Hollins
Okafor/Hill/Sacre
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:36 am

1bartg22 wrote:
HELL NO to Chalmers. Dude just sucks. Was Lebron's whipping boy. Disappeared in the Finals. No thank you. I think you're undervaluing Clarkson. LA didn't pay $1.8 mil to have him on the 3rd string PG, let alone as a 3rd string freaking SG! He's going to be our backup AT WORST. I'd like to see DeAndre Kane at that 3rd string SG spot instead. As for Lin, he is, and should be, our starter. WAY better than Chalmers. Starting caliber PG. Here's how I'd replace the PG spot:

1.) We paid money to get back into the draft and get DJO as well, where is he now?

2.) Chalmers had a bad playoffs/Finals and all of a sudden he sucks? He had one of his best seasons in the league last year. That whole Heat team fell off. He doesn't suck, who was a big piece in them beating the Spurs in game 6 two seasons ago? Don't let the short term memory fool you.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakers79 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:50 am

Doc Brown wrote:
1bartg22 wrote:

1.) We paid money to get back into the draft and get DJO as well, where is he now?

2.) Chalmers had a bad playoffs/Finals and all of a sudden he sucks? He had one of his best seasons in the league last year. That whole Heat team fell off. He doesn't suck, who was a big piece in them beating the Spurs in game 6 two seasons ago? Don't let the short term memory fool you.

I agree with

1) undervaluing Clarkson...he probably won't end the season on the bench...Kobe to 3 and he'll probably start at the 2.

2) no way on Chalmers, and if he did come here, which would be a waste since we have other pressing needs, he wouldn't start over Lin...maybe not even over Marshal or Clarkson at that position. Aside from one of the top 8 to 12 pg's in the league coming to LA, we are set there for the upcoming season.
Lakers79

Postby Lakers79 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:04 pm

1bartg22 wrote:
Kobe / _____ / Clarkson
____ / Young / _____
Randle / Kelly / ____
____ / Hill / Sacre

PG - I'd drop Marshall for Chalmers (1st choice) or Sessions (2nd choice) in a second. I really fear Marshall is going to drop off and if he could be replaced by one of the above, I'd do it in a second. If we have any cap room or exemptions left to use, I'm using it here. Chalmers is a douche, but he gets the job done and he knows how to play with stars.

SG - Give me Brandon Rush as my sniper to replace Meeks and he's not undersized so that's a big plus.

SF - Give me Aminu as my defender at the 3, with Young backing him up. Bring X back as well and let him work his way back from injury. Kid showed a lot of potential last season and we need to really get his body healthy to handle a full season

PF - Ed Davis. Only 25 and I think he could be our next "bust" player that elevates his game

C - Okafor, he's really the only real center left in FA and if the neck pans out, it should be a no brainer.

Chalmers / Lin / Nash
Kobe / Rush / Clarkson
Aminu / Young / Henry
Randle / Kelly / Davis
Okafor / Hill / Sacre

Lin/Clarkson/Nash

I'd really like Aminu, assuming we could get him for a good price. Same as Henry. Both are young, with upside. We have no true SF on the roster. I'd like Ed Davis as well. Okafor is a wildcard. Nobody knows whether his back will hold up or not. We didn't pay $9 mil to Hill to sit on the bench. He's starting.

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/Swaggy P/Kane
Aminu/Henry
Randle/Davis/Kelly
Hill/Okafor/Sacre

Mitch always leaves one roster spot open, so here's how I see things maybe playing out, with the roster you made. Brandon Rush might be a good get, assuming we could get him at a good price. But I'm not sure we'll be able to afford him. I'd like to see us get Caron Butler if we don't get Aminu as well.

Been a fan of bringing in Aninu and even Udoh in as we definitely need those types of players with the bench scoring of Swaggy and X, and although Henry can D up and bother perimeter players, Young doesn't do that consistently, if we could get back the "Swaggy D" that played through a stretch last season, that would be good enough not to need to bring in 2 solid defenders, but it wouldn't hurt.
Lakers79

Postby 1bartg22 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Lakers79 wrote:
1bartg22 wrote:
Kobe / _____ / Clarkson
____ / Young / _____
Randle / Kelly / ____
____ / Hill / Sacre

Chalmers / Lin / Nash
Kobe / Rush / Clarkson
Aminu / Young / Henry
Randle / Kelly / Davis
Okafor / Hill / Sacre

Lin/Clarkson/Nash

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/Swaggy P/Kane
Aminu/Henry
Randle/Davis/Kelly
Hill/Okafor/Sacre

Been a fan of bringing in Aninu and even Udoh in as we definitely need those types of players with the bench scoring of Swaggy and X, and although Henry can D up and bother perimeter players, Young doesn't do that consistently, if we could get back the "Swaggy D" that played through a stretch last season, that would be good enough not to need to bring in 2 solid defenders, but it wouldn't hurt.

We need high energy players and athletes that are relatively young. Aminu and Udoh fit that bill, and both would probably come cheap. I think Swaggy P will be alright. As for Henry, I'd love to see him back. He reminds me of a Ginobli with lower basketball IQ. But he's young, and has a ton of upside IMO.
1bartg22

Postby 1bartg22 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Lakers79 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
1bartg22 wrote:

I agree with

1) undervaluing Clarkson...he probably won't end the season on the bench...Kobe to 3 and he'll probably start at the 2.

2) no way on Chalmers, and if he did come here, which would be a waste since we have other pressing needs, he wouldn't start over Lin...maybe not even over Marshal or Clarkson at that position. Aside from one of the top 8 to 12 pg's in the league coming to LA, we are set there for the upcoming season.

+1
1bartg22

Postby Lakers79 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:33 pm

People knock the process that we are going through, but IMO bringing in a bunch of young, promising players and giving them a ton of minutes is probably the most effective way for THIS team to begin building a contender. We save cap room, first and foremost, so we will be able to bring in a couple max players down the line, while potentially developing young players and assets, and, theoretically getting higher draft picks. True, we should have an identity as the type of team that we will be, but that is largely predicated on the types of players that come in. You want to be as versatile as possible, stockpile that talents you can't teach and teach the ones you can. Adding players like Udoh, Aminu and Bynum to what we have now could be a low cost solution that could increase our length and defensive potential greatly. We are very likely, not going to win a championship in the next couple years, but we can build the foundation for one today. If one of the aforementioned players work out for us, then we are that much further ahead of the game.
Lakers79

Postby JJack on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:12 pm

I‘e been watching Lin for 2 seasons, the report is solid and accurate. but I am not gonna talk about Lin, i am gonna talk about another wasted talent in Houston who may fill Laker's dire need of big man, Donatas Motiejunas.

this Lithuanian is a legit 7 footer got post skill and range, as well as passing skill, left handed but can shoot off either hand on post, typical Euro big with solid foundations. although he got pushed around in the paint the first yr, he bulked up the 2nd year and in the limited time he'd been given, he did pretty well, hold his ground and started to pushing around other team's slim bigs. the shining part of this guy is his quickness, maybe top level in 7 footers, move well and run the floor. his weakness was defense awareness and rebounding in the 1st yr, but in the 2nd yr in the limited time he'd been given, I notice he started to build up correct habits and performed well, such as utilize his speed to cover more ground to defend PNR, start to help defense and dish out blocks, box out on every DReb and tip off OReb to teammates. his 3pt% dropped a lot compare to his 1st year but i think it's the side effect of bulking up, when he got his weight stable, with his eastern Euro big work ethic he will pick it back up.

he was not happy with the situation in HOU and his agent already asked for a trade early last season and told it publicly that it's just a matter of time he got trade away, but seems Morey stalled him for almost a season--he is still on minimum contract and a 23 years old 7footer with great potential, no wonder HOU dont want him to go. I think he fits the Lakers' long term plan as well as urgent need on PF/C, at worst he can be a bench fill in 10 mins like Teletovic, at best he could be another Gasol--a big with speed, post skill, range and court vision and passing skill. yeah I know it sounds too much but this kid indeed got similar skill set, although still raw his minimum contract make him a good bet and Houston's environment make him available.

some highlights:

Last edited by JJack on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
JJack

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:16 pm

The Rockets kept him because I'm sure he's their plan for depth behind Howard.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JJack on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 pm

therealdeal wrote:The Rockets kept him because I'm sure he's their plan for depth behind Howard.

he is not happy, and i think the titty bar gang push everyone else aside make it a toxic environment, Lin/Parsons both bailed. if DMO wanna bail too, Lakers got a chance.
JJack

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:30 pm

JJack wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The Rockets kept him because I'm sure he's their plan for depth behind Howard.

he is not happy, and i think the titty bar gang push everyone else aside make it a toxic environment, Lin/Parsons both bailed. if DMO wanna bail too, Lakers got a chance.

I can't believe that word isn't censored... :man10:

If the Lakers had a shot at him, I'm sure they would have tried to get him in their Lin trade. I don't think he's available for us.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:35 pm

That's a pleasant surprise actually, opens up a whole new world of conversation for me here. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JJack on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:45 pm

therealdeal wrote:
JJack wrote:

I can't believe that word isn't censored... :man10:

If the Lakers had a shot at him, I'm sure they would have tried to get him in their Lin trade. I don't think he's available for us.

of cause Morey told Lakers he is not available, bcoz he wanna keep him as a minimum contract bench player squeeze every bit out of him. DMO himself wanted to be a starter, he actually started some games in his 1st season but got demoted to almost the end of the bench in the 2nd, far from the promise Morey made when signed him(yeah we all know). just keep in watch, next season is the last yr of his 3yr contract and the HOU boat is leaking.
JJack

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Weezy wrote:That's a pleasant surprise actually, opens up a whole new world of conversation for me here. :man10:

:man10: :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:59 pm

JJack wrote:of cause Morey told Lakers he is not available, bcoz he wanna keep him as a minimum contract bench player squeeze every bit out of him. DMO himself wanted to be a starter, he actually started some games in his 1st season but got demoted to almost the end of the bench in the 2nd, far from the promise Morey made when signed him(yeah we all know). just keep in watch, next season is the last yr of his 3yr contract and the HOU boat is leaking.

I honestly don't know enough about him to agree or disagree with you.

All I'm saying is that I'm not sure he's someone the Lakers could realistically try to get this summer.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JJack on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:40 am

therealdeal wrote:
JJack wrote:of cause Morey told Lakers he is not available, bcoz he wanna keep him as a minimum contract bench player squeeze every bit out of him. DMO himself wanted to be a starter, he actually started some games in his 1st season but got demoted to almost the end of the bench in the 2nd, far from the promise Morey made when signed him(yeah we all know). just keep in watch, next season is the last yr of his 3yr contract and the HOU boat is leaking.

I honestly don't know enough about him to agree or disagree with you.

All I'm saying is that I'm not sure he's someone the Lakers could realistically try to get this summer.

yes I agree with you, if Morey wont let go then chance to get him this summer is slim. but Rockets kept flexibility by not matching chandler's contract and plan to chase those FA next summer, and Morey need to clear CAP space again, by then maybe Lakers can rob Rockets yet again.
JJack

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:07 am

Ed Davis:
Position: PF/C
Height: 6’10”
Weight: 225
Contract: $1mil (’13-14), $1mil ('14-'15--player option)
Nickname: N/A
Years With Team: 0
Years With League: 4
Previous Teams: Toronto, Memphis
Acquired: Free Agent '14

Davis is a power forward/center hybrid, having split his playing time equally between those positions in 99 games with the Grizzlies. Offensively, while he carries a subpar usage rate, Davis shows multifaceted ability in getting his shots off in the painted area. Davis is extremely athletic, dunking on nearly 17% of his shot attempts, a mark that is in the top eighth of all power forwards. He's also well into the top third of layup attempts, showing skill in getting off his shot. Layups and dunks are extremely high percentage shots, and the fact that Davis can get them en masse illustrates the level of athleticism he has. When pushed away from the rim, Davis has a reasonable, but not excellent, hook shot, with attempts in the top two-fifths of power forwards. Similarly, he's above average, but not excellent, at drawing fouls by position, but he's excellent at finishing through contact and getting and-1 type plays.

Davis completes the five-pronged attack of paint-area work--dunks, layups, and a quite a few hook shots and free throw attempts-- with masterful offensive rebounding. Davis, as always, has excellent activity on the offensive boards: he's in the top eighth of all power forwards here. Historically, he's always been well above the top quarter of PFs here, and he was even in the top fourteenth when he initially came to Memphis. It also presents an excellent means for him to score: tip-ins comprise 11.3% of Davis's shots, easily first among all power forwards, and he converts a robust 56% of these attempts. Given the frequency with which he takes in-paint shots, it's amazing how little Davis turns the ball over. He does an excellent job avoiding turnovers--this season, he fell outside the top half in turnover rate this season, and the 80 games prior he was even in the bottom quarter in this area.

Davis also took a shade below a fifth of his shots on short mid-range jumpers, and hit a very good 42.9% of them this season. He's had a season in the past where he shot 47.5% on a similar swath of attempts, and prior to this season he's shot fairly average overall (36.9%) in this area. There is definite hope in this area, given two seasons of good percentages. 82games also reveals that Davis's offensive output remains relatively the same, whether he is playing power forward or center, and that stability is a good sign.

On defense, Davis is good: Memphis was 3.1 points better defensively with him on the court this season, and according to position-adjusted defensive RPM, he was well into the top third on defense as well. He was a negative defender in Toronto despite the athleticism, but this might have been where the Memphis culture kicked in, because Davis registered positive defensive ratings in his short stay there. He's not a stealer, ranking in the bottom fifth of power forwards here. But ever since he joined Memphis, he took his shotblocking to another level, pushing it from top third to now the top sixth to fifteenth in this category, elite marks. Per 82games, Davis was equally adept at guarding both power forwards and centers: Davis has been particularly excellent at contesting shots of opposing power forwards, holding them to effective field goal percentages south of 45%, and he gets a higher rebounding differential playing the power forward position. He also does an admirable job against opposing centers, lowering their scoring rate while maintaining solid defensive efficiency rates against them. He certainly became more foul prone at the cost of playing defense at Memphis, but that's the price paid.

Davis also helps with the boards here: his defensive rebound rate was near the top third of PFs this season, and historically he's always near the top fifth, a very good mark. Between very good defensive and offensive rebound rates, Davis has always been an excellent rebounder--while he was only in the top quarter this season, he's always been in the top 6-20% in this area.

So with that short mid-range jumper and that cavalcade of options in the painted area, why isn't Davis a dominant big man on offense? Well, while he takes high percentage shots, his conversion in those areas really dropped off at Memphis, which was the likely source of frustration on why they didn't retain him. Davis only converted 84% of his dunks, an abysmal rate, and was in the bottom two-fifths this season in layup conversion as well. Davis takes over a fifth of his shots from 3-9 feet, and despite a reasonable hook shot, only shot a shade over 34% from that distance. Another thing: since joining Memphis, Davis became an absolute non-passer. In his half season since coming to Memphis, Davis registered the worst assist rate among PFs in 35 games; this season, he was still in the bottom ten. As a result, despite the offensive diversity, Davis's lack of efficiency across the cross-section of painted areas led Memphis to be 1.3 points worse offensively with him on the court, and position adjusted offensive RPM is even more ruthless: Davis was well into the bottom ten percent in offensive efficiency, really hampering Memphis's offense badly with his play.

There might be some reason to question Davis's jumper efficacy, even if he has found some effectiveness on short jumpers: he only shoots a career 59.6% from the charity stripe, a poor mark, and Davis rarely ever engages in long mid-range jumpers, in fact only taking less than 5% on his shots on them this season. He shoots them worse than short mid-range J's, at only 33.1% before this season. Also, historically, the sum of Davis' offense always seems less than its parts--even in Toronto, when he displayed more skill than he did in Memphis, he registered negative offensive ratings. Understanding how to work his combination of offensive skills into a team setting is extremely important for him, as his negative ratings in the face of those skills illustrates a lack of offensive IQ.

Still, even with the recent lapses, Davis has enough wrinkles to be an interesting player: but he might be something more, because those lapses scream fluke. And it's largely because of how Memphis used him compared to Toronto, so a huge chunk of the blame should go to the system. Let's start with the assists: in his final two seasons of Toronto, over a span of 111 games, Davis registered assist rates within the top quarter to half range of power forwards, a very intriguing mark for an athlete. In addition, Davis's subpar low 60 at-rim percentages were in the mid-70s across that Toronto span, and prior to this season, he's made 47% of his attempts from 3-9 feet, an excellent mark with sample size precedence (264 attempts). At only age 25, and theoretically below his peak production, there's definite belief that he should be able to rediscover his at-rim and passing skill, given that it has happened before. Given that Davis really enhanced his defensive profile at Memphis, it's definitely not out of the question he can make a similar leap in offensive IQ, as he appears receptive to learning within the team concept.

Davis is also not a tweener--he can play power forward and center equally well on the offensive and defensive end, which helps his profile further in a league where positions are becoming more interchangeable and the traditional center is rapidly being done away with. At 6'10", he's still slightly undersized, but he's found ways to be effective defensively with his Memphis tutelage. Even more than that, he's an athletic big with skill: bigs of his ilk usually struggle with turnovers and low assist rates. Davis, however, does not have problems with the former, and the latter might be rediscovered with proper utilization.

Davis is at a stage where he can be within-paint swiss knife on offense with an effective short mid-range jumper, excellent rebounding on both ends and good defense with top notch shotblocking. At his age and rate of development, it's a reasonable bet, under the proper system, that his offensive IQ will eventually catch up to his talent, which could make him an excellent value play especially for the contract that he received. While his lack of great range and lack of effectiveness in a wide swath of within-paint shots might irritate especially in systems that emphasize skill, there's a bet that he can overcome the latter aspect in particular, and even if he does not, he's still an interesting player with his rebounding, defense and ability to pack athleticism on offense. Overall, he can easily provide two-way value, because he blends a combination of athleticism and talent level that few can boast, if he can just put it all together.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Vlade_12 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:03 am

I think Ed Davis is our third big, first off the bench. going to back up at center, and if we have to battle a great post center Sacre will get some run

this is how I project the roster as of right now

c: Hill, Davis(pf), Sacre
pf: Randle, Kelly
sf: ??? , ?????
sg: kobe, swaggy p(sf), Clarkson(pg)
pg: lin, nash, marshall
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:13 am

Great report. Thanks, Ryd.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:48 am

Weezy wrote:That's a pleasant surprise actually, opens up a whole new world of conversation for me here. :man10:

Sexist! You have something against the available P***K and D**K words? I find them useful. :man9: What are you going to do with the T***y word other than tack on "bar gang" for the Houston bleeps? :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby MusixFinest on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:43 am

MusixFinest

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:53 am

How is he in pick and roll defense?
tigerjeterkobe

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:30 am

He's great! That's Bill Russell right?
LTLakerFan

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Carlos Boozer:
Position: PF
Height: 6’9”
Weight: 266
Contract: $3.25mil (’13-14)
Nickname: N/A
Years With Team: 0
Years With League: 11
Previous Teams: Cleveland, Utah, Chicago
Acquired: Claimed off amnesty waivers '14

Boozer was just flat-out atrocious on offense last season--using position-adjusted offensive RPM, he was only 400th out of 430 NBA players, so for 28 minutes per game he was absolutely decimating the Bulls' offense this past season. Boozer was once a polished offensive player who had a net positive bottom line for the team's offense, but the fact of the matter is that Boozer hasn't put up a positive offensive rating ever since four seasons ago--his first season with Chicago. He's been sliding down every season--the past season, per 82games, Chicago was 4.4 points worse offensively with him on the floor, and this season? 5.2 points worse offensively. The question is--why does he still have such a gigantic usage rate? In his prime, this was perfectly fine because his offense held up--but even throughout Chicago, his usage rate among power forwards are in the top four to seven. Even this year's disaster saw the 6th highest usage rate among PFs. It is the very definition of insanity to place such offensive responsibility on a player who has really seen both precipitous declines in personal efficiency and the team's bottom line.

Boozer's really fallen a long way in athleticism, now having a paltry dunk rate: at 1.8%, this is a rate in the bottom quarter of all power forwards. Similarly, his tip-in rate of 1.7% is near that bottom quarter as well, and he's a below average offensive rebounder. Even when pushed back, he doesn't use hooks--with attempts in the bottom third here, although he attempts about 13% of his shots from 3-9 feet, seeing just OK percentages at a shade over 37%. Largely, he utilizes his at-rim space to create layups--he's in the top tenth here--but is just average at hitting them now, at 58.1%. Two-thirds of these shots are assisted, roughly in line with Boozer's creation rates career-wise, but the problem is that Boozer's percentages within 9 feet have really went through rapid declines the past several seasons. Once comfortable hitting 66% to 71% of shots directly at the rim, Boozer hits an awful 58.8% now, and similarly, fairly robust 40-54% percentages at 3-9 feet have drifted downwards. It's important for Boozer to maintain his percentages, because he's clearly losing athleticism and has stopped drawing fouls since three seasons ago--he draws fouls 9% less frequently than the typical power forward this season, and two years ago that rate was at 13%. He's also lost the ability to finish through contact, something he's done at a decent rate in the past. Boozer's on the wrong side of 30 and really declining in offensive impact, so at this point it's a safe bet that he can't provide much at-rim game now.

Boozer takes over half his shots as spot-up mid-rangers, and is comfortable even in short mid-range space--20% of his shots are from 10-15 feet. Even here, however, his percentages are really dropping--after shooting steadily from 41-44%, the past two seasons have seen percentages around 36-37%. Boozer's more robust in long mid-range jumpers--about 30% of his shots--still a very reliable 39.3%--but again this has dropped from mid-40s type percentages in his heyday. A career 72.7% foul shooter, Boozer's in-game jumper is clearly better than what those percentages represent.

Elsewhere, Boozer has been fairly average as a ballhandler in Chicago, and was a fairly decent passer--until this season, when he took gunning for shots to a whole new level. Boozer was truly breaking offense for increasingly ineffective shot attempts, and compromised Chicago's offense as a result.

If Boozer's offense can't hold up, he's absolutely dead weight, as Chicago found out the hard way--because his defense has always been atrocious. The irony was that Boozer's offense was far worse than his defense this past year--even though, per defensive RPM, his defense has still near the third of all NBA players. Per 82games, he's never had anything resembling even an average defensive rating in four seasons in Chicago: this season, Chicago was 3.3 points worse defensively with Boozer on the floor, but take a look at the other seasons: -4.3, -8.6, -6.5. Just downright atrocious numbers. Boozer spotted nearly three-quarters of his minutes as a power forward this season, and the other quarter he masqueraded as an undersized center: for the past two seasons, he's defended centers far worse, seeing a worse rebound differential, and generally relinquishing higher field goal percentages and free throw attempts. Boozer just lacks length and instincts--he's always had a bottom six block rate in Chicago, with absolutely pathetic numbers there, but he doesn't gamble either--he's typically in the bottom half of PFs in steal rate in Chicago. He also became more foul prone this year. In general, he's just an absolute traffic cone--unable to make defensive plays or play the actual defense, which renders him virtually useless on this end.

That being said, Boozer has always been an excellent defensive rebounder, and even this season he was 4th among a 75-PF sample. In fact, throughout his career, he's never been worse than sixth, and this is why he's still a top-dozen rebounder overall among PFs.

The reality is, given his age, reversion to his past efficiency means are highly improbable, and as of now Boozer is just solid as a long mid-range jumpshooter with an excellent knack for defensive boards, all of which is compromised by his desire to take other, increasingly less efficient shots as well as his completely non-existent defense. He should also completely avoid playing the five. The scary issue is, given his consistently high usage rates and past name recognition, whether he might take the minutes and usage rate of more talented and younger players on the Lakers' roster. So while Boozer might be signed "below market value" given his past reputation, he does take a roster space in a now-jammed Laker frontcourt, and more importantly, might really bring negatives with the on-court dynamics. This strikes as a Knicks-ian move, in the sense that you're relying on past history and name recognition rather than recent history and potential, and he does not appear to have the game frame to transition effectively into a role player.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion