Laker Summer FAQ (Read 1st post on pg. 1, then ask Qs, thx)

Postby AVH on Mon May 07, 2007 7:05 pm

Sky,

1) You forgot a couple key names in your SF and PF combos.

SF - Andres Nocioni. He might actually be a legit answer for us IF the Bulls don't resign him or he looks elsewhere. Terrific shooter, hustler, energy and tenacious defender. Can rebound well too.

PF - Anderson Varajeo in the Dennis Rodman mold. Doenst care to score. Only defend, rebound and hustle. AND BOY does he do those things well.

His ability to draw charges almost rivals an elite shotblocker in terms of his impact on the paint.

Not someone we shoudl dismiss. AND if in fact they do resign him, Drew Gooden could potentially become someone who is available.

2) If the Cavs want to get rid of Hughes, a deal of Farmar and Kwame could get it done since Kwame cuts their payroll and Farmar gives them a PG.

Hughes fits the Ron Harper mold to a T. Former 20ppg scorer with suspect shot but somewhat decent defense.

In addition, if we can swing it to include Donyell Marshall, all the better.

3) Here's a likely trade that could go down IF the lakers wanted to make it happen.

Kwame, 19 and Farmar

for

Zach Randolph and Jarrett Jack

People knock Zach all the time for his inability to defend, but to me, he isn't that much of a liability when you compare him to the other players on this roster. The difference is, he is a great rebounder AND quite simply, an unstoppable offensive force.

You dont post a PER of 23.0 and average 24 points and 10 rebounds a game without a great offensive game. He shoots 47% from the floor and he takes a decent amount of jumpers doing so AND he shoots 82% from the line.

We had Kwame guarding him and he simply couldn't stop him and Kwame is one of the best in this business on the block. Randolph simply has an overpowering offensive low post game.

A smaller version of Shaq who can put the ball on the floor AND hit the midragne shot and his free throws to boot.

he may not be an anchor defensively, but if we are hell bent keeping Bynum in the middle and grooming him, it wouldnt hurt having Randolph beside him at PF and moving Lamar to SF.

At least one thing would be solved and thats REBOUNDING!!!

We'd probably get about 27-28 boards out of frontcourt alone if you go only by averages of this past year.

And the key of course beyond that is one Jarrett Jack at PG.

A player Phil loves.

Can Phil mold Randolph? I dont see why not. He's got all the skills necessary to play not only the 5 position but also the 4 position in the triangle. He can hit out consistently from 18-20 feet.

I think a lineup of

Bynum
Zach Randolph
Odom
Kobe
Jarrett Jack

is infinitely better than our current undersized, unathletic, slow and defensively/rebounding challenged lineup. We obtain a low post presence offensively and a true PF in every sense of the word in terms of impact and physicality. We are missing a physical player down low like Randolph.

Imagine for a moment if we had that lineup against Phoenix, who in their right mind was going to stop Zach Randolph on that Suns team. He'd have no choice but to be double teamed as Diaw, Amare and Marion would have basically NO chance at even containing him wihtout getting into serious foul trouble.

All while Kobe and Odom are still on the perimeter.

The tempo could have been controllled almost exclusively by the lakers as an example. And THATS where great offensive execution can lead to great defensive execution by limiting poor possessions and poor shots.

Also, by doing this trade, WE STILL retain our MLE to sign that missing wing defender like a Posey or a Patterson to really complete this team!

Or we can wait on Artest to opt out, but with Zach on the team already, it might be best to look at Patterson or Posey.

In the end, its about risks right. We always talk about risk vs. reward. Well, in this case, we take a risk, but a calculated one. We retain all our key pieces for hte gang of four AND get two important things to boot.

A low post player AND a very good PG.

Its these kinds of risks (i.e. Golden State) that teams make when they want to truly contend.
Something to think about folks.
AVH

Postby d.carter4kobe on Mon May 07, 2007 7:22 pm

Thats a good offensive team but I dont like the team defense up front....we are already weak now we get weaker on defense...A Skinner or Fortson would make it look a little better

And thats a little cheap for Zach and Jack(even through they get rid of that big contract)
d.carter4kobe

Postby Sky on Mon May 07, 2007 7:31 pm

merged.
Last edited by Sky on Tue May 08, 2007 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby AVH on Mon May 07, 2007 7:31 pm

d.carter4kobe wrote:Thats a good offensive team but I dont like the team defense up front....we are already weak now we get weaker on defense...A Skinner or Fortson would make it look a little better

And thats a little cheap for Zach and Jack(even through they get rid of that big contract)

Naw, I think we are better defensively with that lineup.

At the very least, we aren't any worse, but we are WAY better on the boards.

Think about it. Kwame as great as he is on defense does have his shortcomings.

Now you pari him with Odom who lacks ANY kind of brute strenght or physicality to dominate the painted area and Luke beside them at SF.

There's really no comparison.

Now, you move Odom to SF and have Jack at PG and hte amount of penetration decreases substantially whereby as long as we have good rebounding inside, which we now do, we can limit teams to jumpers more.

As for the trade not being enough.

I think its enough. They want to get rid of Zach. They get the expiring contract and a young player and a draft pick.

What more can they get for him. I think its a deal, whereby, if they want it to happen, It CAN happen. But, its up to the lakers.

For kwame, farmar and 19 you wont get better value than Zach and Jack.

And on the reverse, no one is gonna offer you much more either.
AVH

Postby Laker's Fan on Mon May 07, 2007 7:36 pm

Sky wrote:JO is the best hope IF the Lakers are willing to give Bynum. Anyone's guess on that one.

Sky - Now you are convinced that landing JO will require Bynum?

I'm confuses. If Indy needs to include Tinsley in a JO deal including Bynum means dealing Odom, Kwame & Bynum? I'm out, regardless of what Kobe has to say.

I am definitely for making major changes and willingly accept Odom/Kwame/#19/maybe Farmar for JO & Tinsley but we aren't talking about KG. That's highway robbery.
To be good is not enough when you dream of being great.
Laker's Fan

Postby Sky on Mon May 07, 2007 7:47 pm

24 - Walsh trained Bird, Larry Legend will like Bynum too. He's old school and will want to build inside out with the young traditional center. As I pointed out the non-Bynum version of a JO deal (Odom, Kwame, 19) is predicated on no other teams being willing to take on Tinsley. Isiah will take Tinsley in a heartbeat. Forces Bynum into the deal, LA willing.

dc - Ray Allen would only go on the block imo if Shard leaves. As of now signs point to Shard wanting to stay put if the money is right. Zach and Jack wouldn't require Bynum but imo Odom and the pick would have to be in there. Gasol, I'm not sure LA is sold on his toughness at all. If Logo comes back as a consultant Gasol is off the table.

AVH - I talked about Nocioni and Varejao in free agency. Restricted and imo staying, question 21. Paxson wants to keep the young core intact and Reinsdorf isn't worried about taxes. Varejao is definitely staying in Cleveland they aren't about to let him go. Mitch mistake # I lost count Sasha picked ahead of Varejao. I was furious.

Nocioni and Varejao are restricted, both clubs match to automatically keep them, nothing the players can do about it.

Portland gives up Zach and Jack imo they'd want Odom, can't go exclusively young. Roster is too young already. They'll be cap room players in summer 2009, which fits exactly with Odom's contract.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby d.carter4kobe on Mon May 07, 2007 7:48 pm

AVH wrote:
d.carter4kobe wrote:Thats a good offensive team but I dont like the team defense up front....we are already weak now we get weaker on defense...A Skinner or Fortson would make it look a little better

Naw, I think we are better defensively with that lineup.

At the very least, we aren't any worse, but we are WAY better on the boards.

Think about it. Kwame as great as he is on defense does have his shortcomings.

Now you pari him with Odom who lacks ANY kind of brute strenght or physicality to dominate the painted area and Luke beside them at SF.

There's really no comparison.

Now, you move Odom to SF and have Jack at PG and hte amount of penetration decreases substantially whereby as long as we have good rebounding inside, which we now do, we can limit teams to jumpers more.

As for the trade not being enough.

I think its enough. They want to get rid of Zach. They get the expiring contract and a young player and a draft pick.

What more can they get for him. I think its a deal, whereby, if they want it to happen, It CAN happen. But, its up to the lakers.

For kwame, farmar and 19 you wont get better value than Zach and Jack.

And on the reverse, no one is gonna offer you much more either.

Its a great value deal....but Im still not convinced with our front-court d with Drew or Zach holding the Dirks/Kgs/Duncans/Amares/Yaos/Boozers of the west....
d.carter4kobe

Postby Sky on Mon May 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Fan - JO would not require all three Laker bigs. If Bynum is in the deal Tinsley is not, I think Indy would cave on Tinsley in order to get Bynum.

So the deal would be Bynum, Kwame, Radmanovic, 19 for JO and Greene. Or some variation thereof. Odom stays here.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby rayboi8 on Mon May 07, 2007 7:55 pm

Sky wrote:
Trade – If an impact trade goes down imo it’s a variation of Bynum, Kwame, Radmanovic, 19 for Jermaine O’Neal and low salary change, maybe Oriene Greene, a sharp defending 1. That fails Kwame and 19 is shopped for Artest if they get insanely lucky, otherwise a deal for a mid-level point, maybe Duhon.

Thanks for reading.

wait wait you really think the most likely scenario is getting JO without giving up LO? Cuz that would be a very big deal if we could do that IMO. 2 and a half all stars (in Kobe, JO, and Lamar) makes us contenders in my opinion. If thats the case Im all for that.

Not to mention getting rid of Vlad's contract and not getting Tinsley... Are you sure you wrote the correct scenario Sky?
rayboi8

Postby d.carter4kobe on Mon May 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Sky...so West doesnt like Gasol?...And whats their to question about his toughness??Hes not the hardest player but he LED a team to the play-offs...how tough do you have to be to play 2nd fiddle behind you and with Lamar behind me....And Drew isnt the hardest player either
d.carter4kobe

Postby Sky on Mon May 07, 2007 7:58 pm

rayboi - I worded it carefully. IF an IMPACT deal goes down I think that could be it. I could see LA parting with Bynum to have a JO-LO pairing. But all that's saying is IF an impact deal goes down that could be it. Mighty big if.

West trashed Gasol recently. Toughness is a legit question. Does Gasol bang aggressively? Does he deny position low block? Does he set up low block or face up elbow? You need toughness to advance in the playoffs. No playoff series wins in Memphis.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby The Maverick on Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 pm

What about looking at European players to pick up with the MLE like Dimitris Diamantidis? He was the DPOY in Europe for 3 straight years.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby d.carter4kobe on Mon May 07, 2007 8:11 pm

rayboi8 wrote:
Sky wrote:
Trade – If an impact trade goes down imo it’s a variation of Bynum, Kwame, Radmanovic, 19 for Jermaine O’Neal and low salary change, maybe Oriene Greene, a sharp defending 1. That fails Kwame and 19 is shopped for Artest if they get insanely lucky, otherwise a deal for a mid-level point, maybe Duhon.

Thanks for reading.

wait wait you really think the most likely scenario is getting JO without giving up LO? Cuz that would be a very big deal if we could do that IMO. 2 and a half all stars (in Kobe, JO, and Lamar) makes us contenders in my opinion. If thats the case Im all for that.

Not to mention getting rid of Vlad's contract and not getting Tinsley... Are you sure you wrote the correct scenario Sky?

im thinking the same....plus we get a nice young player like S.Williams or O.Greene
/Ronny
JO/Cook
Lamar/Luke
Kobe/Evans
Farmar/
Split the MLE on PJ Brown or Joe Smith and Steve Blake or sign Chris Webber and Pargo or Hart to vets
d.carter4kobe

Postby d.carter4kobe on Mon May 07, 2007 8:13 pm

Sky wrote:West trashed Gasol recently. Toughness is a legit question. Does Gasol bang aggressively? Does he deny position low block? Does he set up low block or face up elbow? You need toughness to advance in the playoffs. No playoff series wins in Memphis.

Im sure he would advance with Kobe and Lamar with the best coach in the NBA
d.carter4kobe

Postby Sky on Mon May 07, 2007 8:23 pm

dc - If Lamar and Gasol are your power players you're mighty soft inside. Anyone can establish low block position against those two. Gasol is best used at 4 in combination with a true power player, so is Odom. The last thing that team would have is toughness. Lots and lots of offense, but that's not the concern for LA. Lamar and Gasol inside is soft-serve yogurt. Won't work defensively.

Legend - Diamintidis iirc signed an extension, he's staying in Europe. The only European point getting love is the final 4 hero Papaloukas. Clips are interested in him, Dallas, Miami. But he's 30.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon May 07, 2007 8:27 pm

Sky, great thorough FAQ....thank you very much for placing your time in it.

Guys, I'm sure Sky will answer everybody's questions, but to make it more organized, his first post in this thread now holds the complete FAQ. So make sure everybody reads it in its entirety, before asking any questions. If Sky's FAQ does not answer your question, I'm sure he's more than happy to answer it. I just don't think its fair to Sky to ask cumbersome questions when the answer has already been provided in his FAQ.

I'm sure you all agree.

Great thread idea and great discussion. Thx to all for the Qs and Sky for the As.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby d.carter4kobe on Mon May 07, 2007 8:28 pm

Sky wrote:dc - If Lamar and Gasol are your power players you're mighty soft inside. Anyone can establish low block position against those two. Gasol is best used at 4 in combination with a true power player, so is Odom. The last thing that team would have is toughness. Lots and lots of offense, but that's not the concern for LA. Lamar and Gasol inside is soft-serve yogurt. Won't work defensively.

Legend - Diamintidis iirc signed an extension, he's staying in Europe. The only European point getting love is the final 4 hero Papaloukas. Clips are interested in him, Dallas, Miami. But he's 30.

I call Kwame Brown a power player on defense(man d)....Gasol can hold the Damps/Elsons/Okurs/J.Howard of the west with kwame takeing the best offensive big
d.carter4kobe

Postby Sky on Mon May 07, 2007 8:31 pm

How are the Lakers getting Gasol while keeping Odom and Kwame?
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby DHL on Mon May 07, 2007 8:35 pm

isn't there some rule that teams can't trade their draft pick in the same year?

ie. Shaq deal
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby Podium on Mon May 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Sky - how do you think acquiring JO w/o giving up Odom would effect Odom's game? Does he improve due to the relieved pressure of being #2 and reduced scoring responsibility or does the reduced scoring responsibility allow him to concentrate on the other parts of his game that he performs oh so well at? Any thoughts you have on a LO-Ko-JO threesome would be appreciated
Podium
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Venti Quattro on Mon May 07, 2007 9:14 pm

Sky - In the Bynum, Brown, Radmanovic, #19 FOR O'Neal deal, why not add Harrison instead of Greene? Would the Pacers do it?
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby gng930 on Mon May 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Sky -

Under your JO-KO-LO scenario, do you have JO and LO at 5 and 4? Do think that's enough toughness to succeed?

Out of the 3 fillers you mentioned, who would you take: Greene, Williams, or Harrison? Is Indy giving up on Williams after just 1 year...I remember you never like him in the first place. I don't see Harrison helping much. I read Green's profile on draftexpress and I really like what I'm reading:

http://draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=440

Would you still see perimeter defense as a problem considering that they won't be getting a wing doberman by any means?

Finally, do you think we can obtain Skinner and Hart with the MLE? Would go a long way in patching up weaknesses in your more optimistic scenario.

BTW: Best. Thread. Ever.
gng930

Postby bhatta on Mon May 07, 2007 10:20 pm

The article I wrote last night describes the possibility of getting JO without giving up Odom and why its the most important thing the Lakers need to do.

LINK
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Mon May 07, 2007 10:36 pm

Sky, do u really think Indiana would take our deal w/out Odom? Because NY can offer expiring contracts and young good players.
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby LUUUKE on Mon May 07, 2007 10:49 pm

ahhh..sky once again comes through in the clutch :bow: :bow: :bow:
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion