Laker Summer FAQ (Read 1st post on pg. 1, then ask Qs, thx)

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Wed May 09, 2007 10:15 am

So its likely the Lakers are gonna just trade the picks for some vets and no big moves will be made. :bang:
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed May 09, 2007 10:21 am

LaLaKeRz4LiFe wrote:So its likely the Lakers are gonna just trade the picks for some vets and no big moves will be made. :bang:

No moves are always more likely than moves. However, I'm confident that we're going to alter this team dramatically. I can't even say why I feel like this, but it's probably because I will be beyond depressed if nothing major happens.
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby AVH on Wed May 09, 2007 11:28 am

Sky,

Im sorry, but your off kilter with yoru numbers.

Ive already shown you numerous ways that

1) Brand will opt out. He makes 16M in his final year.

2) Ive also shown how we can get NOT 15M under the cap BUT 25M under the cap by simply trading Odom for Jamison, Vlad, Walton and our #19 for JWill, Doleac and Dorrell Wright.

We let Kwame, Sasha, Evans expire and are left at the end of next year with

Kobe - 21.2M
Bynum - 3M
D.Wright - 2M
Turiaf - 1M
Farmar - 1M
Cook - 3.5M

Thats 30M total going into 2008 and about 28-30M in cap space. Add it up. You can sign Brand for 14M TO START and still sign another max free agent.

Walton, Vlad and 19 to Miami for JWill, Wright and Doleac is HIGHLY likely.

Why? Because

1) Shaq likes Walton.
2) Miami is the one place Vlad can go to because they can use his skill set to space the floor for them
3) #19 is another benefit for them
4) They no longer want JWill
5) They no longer want Doleac
6) They only give up Wright who happens to be in Riley's doghouse.

By having that capspace, Brand is likely to weight his options of signing and teaming up with Kobe and Bynum in LA.

That still leaves us with 10-15M to sign other pieces even after giving Brand a contract starting at 14M per year. So, youve got Kobe, Brand, Bynum, Turiaf, Farmar, Cook, Dorrell Wright

AND another say 12M to sign two more impact starters for say 6M each. Say a Ron Artest.

So, now you have Kobe, Brand, Artest AND Bynum and a decent young core of Wright, Turiaf and Farmar. Wow. and still another 6M to sign another player.

3) And the same thing applies to KG in this scenario as he may lose the 24M on his final year, BUT he signs with us for 14M and we do this same thing all over again.

So, to me, I think its the people who havent actually given this scenario some thought and just throw it out, that are misinformed.

If Im GM, I take a good hard long look at this proposal.

And here's the funniest part of the whole thing.

The team this year after those trades:

Kwame, Bynum, Mihm (resigned for 1 year at 2M)
Jamison, Turiaf, Doleac, Cook
Wright, Evans
Kobe, Sasha
JWill, Farmar

Is probably as good as our current laker version is for this coming year if we stand pat and make no changes.

So, we lose nothing from performance and yet gain 28M in savings at the end of the year.

4) And finally, if we cant sign all the players we want in 2008, we do so in 2009.

Say we can only acquire Brand or KG in 2008. Then we wait until 2009 and sign ANOTHER Max player to put alongside.

Kobe, Bynum, Brand, maybe even Artest and the rest of our supporting cast and still have some money left over for 2009 free agency, maybe 7-8Mil.

You want to talk risky. How about doing any trade now and NOT winning but being stuck with injury prone players.

Im not saying Im not an advocate of such, BUT, don't just shrug off the cap space plan as immaterial as if its a bad idea.

Its only immaterial because we have poor management who has no vision or creativity.
AVH

Postby FalloutZ on Wed May 09, 2007 12:05 pm

AVH wrote:
2) Ive also shown how we can get NOT 15M under the cap BUT 25M under the cap by simply trading Odom for Jamison, Vlad, Walton and our #19 for JWill, Doleac and Dorrell Wright.

Kobe - 21.2M
Bynum - 3M
D.Wright - 2M
Turiaf - 1M
Farmar - 1M
Cook - 3.5M

Thats 30M total going into 2008 and about 28-30M in cap space. Add it up. You can sign Brand for 14M TO START and still sign another max free agent.

Where's the money coming from to add a complete roster?
No guarantees can sign a max free agent like Brand.
If it fails Kobe is stuck with newbie team. He'll opt out and bail.
FalloutZ

Postby AVH on Wed May 09, 2007 12:56 pm

FalloutZ wrote:
AVH wrote:

Kobe - 21.2M
Bynum - 3M
D.Wright - 2M
Turiaf - 1M
Farmar - 1M
Cook - 3.5M

Vet minimum players

and NBDL Players.

How else are teams that are over the cap allowed to do so. You CAN go over the cap, but you can't sign players other than for the NBA minimum.

At least THEN, we know the Smush's, Sasha's, etc. of the world are getting what they are worth and are at best 2nd stringers and most likely 3rd stringers behind that deep team that you would have constructed.
AVH

Postby gng930 on Wed May 09, 2007 1:09 pm

Sky - any chance your boy Presti jumps ship to join us? Rumors are that he wants to get out from Buford's shadow.
gng930

Postby davi921 on Wed May 09, 2007 3:11 pm

davi921 wrote:Hey does anyone know how to get tickets for the
Vegas Summer League: July 6-15 @ UNLV??

I plan on attending this event and I'm not exactly sure where to purchase tickets at.

Anyone?
davi921

Postby D Nice on Wed May 09, 2007 3:51 pm

sorry, ignore this.
Last edited by D Nice on Wed May 09, 2007 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Nice

Postby LUUUKE on Wed May 09, 2007 3:55 pm

d nice- i know you were asking sky but something of that magnitude wouldn't happen. and james would start ahead of farmar.

we're just trading too many players
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby LUUUKE on Wed May 09, 2007 4:04 pm

SKY-i got it..

we can make a sign and trade for mike bibby. we previously had interest in him before the trade deadline and were about get him for vlad and trash until the maloofs backed out because they didn't want to help us.

maybe the lakers can put together a nice package of kwame,vlad,trash for bibby. huge upgrade from the crap PG we had last season
Last edited by LUUUKE on Wed May 09, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUUUKE

Postby Punk-101 on Wed May 09, 2007 4:06 pm

Sky:

Does this:

Consider what Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh (yes, the guy who could trade Jermaine O'Neal this summer) told the Newark Star-Ledger about Bynum this season: "That kid is working out with Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar), and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into Kareem. I'm not kidding. I can't imagine what he'll be like at 23."

add any more weight the possibility of this actually being accepted by Indy?

11. What would a JO deal look like?
Odom, Kwame and 19 for JO and Tinsley works in salaries and value, but if Indy demands Bynum instead then it gets very tricky. The Lakers would probably try a deal that doesn’t include Odom or Tinsley, offering Bynum, Kwame, Radmanovic and 19 for JO. If Indy demands Bynum and Odom LA may well decide that’s just too high a price to pay.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby LUUUKE on Wed May 09, 2007 4:08 pm

SKY-i got it..

we can make a sign and trade for mike bibby. we previously had interest in him before the trade deadline and were about get him for vlad and trash until the maloofs backed out because they didn't want to help us.

maybe the lakers can put together a nice package of kwame,vlad,trash for bibby. huge upgrade from the crap PG we had last season
LUUUKE

Postby FalloutZ on Wed May 09, 2007 4:11 pm

AVH wrote:
FalloutZ wrote:
AVH wrote:

Kobe - 21.2M
Bynum - 3M
D.Wright - 2M
Turiaf - 1M
Farmar - 1M
Cook - 3.5M

Vet minimum players

and NBDL Players.

How else are teams that are over the cap allowed to do so. You CAN go over the cap, but you can't sign players other than for the NBA minimum.

At least THEN, we know the Smush's, Sasha's, etc. of the world are getting what they are worth and are at best 2nd stringers and most likely 3rd stringers behind that deep team that you would have constructed.

You're not going to win the championship on a team full of scrubs. Free agency is tough when you have someone of Kobe's salary. The realistic way is through trades. What if can't sign a max superstar. Then you're stuck with Kobe and a team full of scrubs. Kobe's out.
FalloutZ

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed May 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Punk-101 wrote:Sky:

Does this:

Consider what Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh (yes, the guy who could trade Jermaine O'Neal this summer) told the Newark Star-Ledger about Bynum this season: "That kid is working out with Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar), and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into Kareem. I'm not kidding. I can't imagine what he'll be like at 23."

add any more weight the possibility of this actually being accepted by Indy?

11. What would a JO deal look like?
Odom, Kwame and 19 for JO and Tinsley works in salaries and value, but if Indy demands Bynum instead then it gets very tricky. The Lakers would probably try a deal that doesn’t include Odom or Tinsley, offering Bynum, Kwame, Radmanovic and 19 for JO. If Indy demands Bynum and Odom LA may well decide that’s just too high a price to pay.

Hmmm, that's VERY interesting. :man1:
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LUUUKE on Wed May 09, 2007 4:46 pm

what the heck???

mitch said in his exit interview that there are 8-15 trades that he's looking at..what in the heck could those be?
LUUUKE

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed May 09, 2007 4:48 pm

LUUUKE wrote:what the heck???

mitch said in his exit interview that there are 8-15 trades that he's looking at..what in the heck could those be?

The trade possibilities are so utterly infinite that it'd be futile to try to figure out each one. This thread does a good job at examining the most probable scenarios.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JamrockLakaFan on Wed May 09, 2007 5:21 pm

LUUUKE wrote:what the heck???

can i get a link to his

Welcome to JamRock
Camp Weh Di Thugs Dem Camp at
2 Pound A Weed Inna Van Back :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

1 Good Thing About Music When It Hits U Feel no Pain
JamrockLakaFan

Postby no_dont on Wed May 09, 2007 5:28 pm

Sky-
Do you think teams will get into a bidding war for AB? Instead of us doing all the hustling will we get decent offers for him + salary fill?
HO-BE
no_dont

Postby revgen on Wed May 09, 2007 6:51 pm

no_dont wrote:Sky-
Do you think teams will get into a bidding war for AB? Instead of us doing all the hustling will we get decent offers for him + salary fill?

I know you're asking Sky,

But I just don't see how anybody can get into a bidding war with somebody that makes $2 million.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby D Nice on Wed May 09, 2007 6:59 pm

LUUUKE wrote:d nice- i know you were asking sky but something of that magnitude wouldn't happen. and james would start ahead of farmar.

we're just trading too many players
I don't think 9 returning players is too much of a shake-up. Kobe and Phil do sound pretty serious, and management is echoing their sentiments.
D Nice

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Wed May 09, 2007 8:08 pm

revgen wrote:
no_dont wrote:Sky-

I know you're asking Sky,

But I just don't see how anybody can get into a bidding war with somebody that makes $2 million.
Well duh, you have to add Kwame then Radman, then theres ur salary.
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby Schizophrenic on Wed May 09, 2007 10:03 pm

Would the Pistons trade Nazr Mohammed for Vlad + a second rounder?

If not, then what? Hard to say what they're looking for since they play such a tiny rotation.
Schizophrenic

Postby D Nice on Wed May 09, 2007 11:27 pm

Sky - Do you think we'd take a look at Kidd after what they pulled, especially if we're able to bring back JO or Pau without surrendering Odom?

Also, I know it's a long-shot, but if Memphis doesn't get a top 2 pick and Pau puts the trade-pressure on, would Kwame/Bynum/19 be one of the top packages they'd see?

What do you think of Melvin Ely as a cheap MLE PF if we do deal Odom? He's got a little post game (pretty good jump-hook if I remember correctly), pretty good post defender, can block some shots as well. NOT a good rebounder, but he'd come pretty cheap. He's a solid athlete as well.

My Pipe Scenario

1. Kwame Brown, Andrew Bynum, 19th Pick for Pau Gasol
2. Odom, Cook for Jason Kidd
3. MLE (split) Melvin Ely (2.5)/Brian Skinner (3.0)
4. VM Jalen Rose, VM Pinnock (or Green)

PG: Kidd/Farmar/Sasha
SG: Kobe/Evans/Pinnock
SF: Walton/Vlad/Rose
PF: Turiaf/Ely
Cc: Gasol/Mihm/Skinner
Last edited by D Nice on Thu May 10, 2007 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
D Nice

Postby Kou on Wed May 09, 2007 11:44 pm

^^Could Turiaf and Mihm stay on the court for that long? :mhihi:
Kou

Postby D Nice on Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 pm

Kou wrote:^^Could Turiaf and Mihm stay on the court for that long? :mhihi:
Good point, which is why I'm about to amend it and get rid of signing Devin Brown in favor of a big man.
D Nice

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion