Im sorry, but your off kilter with yoru numbers.
Ive already shown you numerous ways that
1) Brand will opt out. He makes 16M in his final year.
2) Ive also shown how we can get NOT 15M under the cap BUT 25M under the cap by simply trading Odom for Jamison, Vlad, Walton and our #19 for JWill, Doleac and Dorrell Wright.
We let Kwame, Sasha, Evans expire and are left at the end of next year with
Kobe - 21.2M
Bynum - 3M
D.Wright - 2M
Turiaf - 1M
Farmar - 1M
Cook - 3.5M
Thats 30M total going into 2008 and about 28-30M in cap space. Add it up. You can sign Brand for 14M TO START and still sign another max free agent.
Walton, Vlad and 19 to Miami for JWill, Wright and Doleac is HIGHLY likely.
1) Shaq likes Walton.
2) Miami is the one place Vlad can go to because they can use his skill set to space the floor for them
3) #19 is another benefit for them
4) They no longer want JWill
5) They no longer want Doleac
6) They only give up Wright who happens to be in Riley's doghouse.
By having that capspace, Brand is likely to weight his options of signing and teaming up with Kobe and Bynum in LA.
That still leaves us with 10-15M to sign other pieces even after giving Brand a contract starting at 14M per year. So, youve got Kobe, Brand, Bynum, Turiaf, Farmar, Cook, Dorrell Wright
AND another say 12M to sign two more impact starters for say 6M each. Say a Ron Artest.
So, now you have Kobe, Brand, Artest AND Bynum and a decent young core of Wright, Turiaf and Farmar. Wow. and still another 6M to sign another player.
3) And the same thing applies to KG in this scenario as he may lose the 24M on his final year, BUT he signs with us for 14M and we do this same thing all over again.
So, to me, I think its the people who havent actually given this scenario some thought and just throw it out, that are misinformed.
If Im GM, I take a good hard long look at this proposal.
And here's the funniest part of the whole thing.
The team this year after those trades:
Kwame, Bynum, Mihm (resigned for 1 year at 2M)
Jamison, Turiaf, Doleac, Cook
Is probably as good as our current laker version is for this coming year if we stand pat and make no changes.
So, we lose nothing from performance and yet gain 28M in savings at the end of the year.
4) And finally, if we cant sign all the players we want in 2008, we do so in 2009.
Say we can only acquire Brand or KG in 2008. Then we wait until 2009 and sign ANOTHER Max player to put alongside.
Kobe, Bynum, Brand, maybe even Artest and the rest of our supporting cast and still have some money left over for 2009 free agency, maybe 7-8Mil.
You want to talk risky. How about doing any trade now and NOT winning but being stuck with injury prone players.
Im not saying Im not an advocate of such, BUT, don't just shrug off the cap space plan as immaterial as if its a bad idea.
Its only immaterial because we have poor management who has no vision or creativity.