Laker Summer FAQ (Read 1st post on pg. 1, then ask Qs, thx)

Postby NotCreative24 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Getting JO and keeping Odom. Are you kidding???For me its an emphatic HELL YES!
NotCreative24

Postby UKUGA on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:10 pm

NotCreative24 wrote:Getting JO and keeping Odom. Are you kidding???For me its an emphatic HELL YES!

IMO, it's worth a shot.

That's a lot of money spent on those 3 guys, but at least we'd be trying.

C'mon Mitch and Buss Family, pull a Schuerholz and get something done.
"The Lakers need more fans like you!"
- Gary Vitti, to me, in a Cleveland restaurant
UKUGA

Postby juninho on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:10 pm

It is great to have kobe, Jo and Lamar together but can we get Harrison too Sky? We can throw some picks.
juninho

Postby Sirron on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:10 pm

I could deal with that too. I think Fish/Farmar can man the point enough if we have O'Neal/Mihm/Turiaf/Odom in the background.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby Tactical on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Interesting question, Sky...but where does that leave us at center?

I thought it was pretty well known that JO doesn't want to play center, and although we'd create huge matchup problems with JO at the four and LO at the three, I don't think I'd be too keen on having Chris Mihm relied upon to play that many minutes.

So we'd be left with playing JO at center, which he doesn't like, and with an unknown in Mihm backing him up.

Considering JO's injury history, would we really want to gamble on that? I'm thinking that might be too big of a risk.
Tactical

Postby Big Willie on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Sky, is today the first day Critt can be dealt?
Big Willie

Postby GasolBynumKobe on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Big Willie wrote:Sky, is today the first day Critt can be dealt?

Tomorrow
GasolBynumKobe

Postby Coca Shayne on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Sky wrote:It woudl be tough for Odom to land Battier. Now that Houston has Scola they aren't as desperate for a 4. Warriors are in love with Bellinelli. The Gooden to GS rumor has been squashed as fiction, Warriors are talking with Croshere and Pavlovic.

As for all the rumors on JO, end of the day it comes down to whether LA is willing to give up Bynum to get JO. We know where Jimmy stands on that, it's his first born. Question is where Dr. Buss stands and if he's willing to overrule his son. If he is then JO can become a Laker, if not, the Indy talks are over.

If O'Neal coudl be had for Bynum, Crittenton and Kwame would you do it? Don't say Farmar instead, that's obvious. if Walsh would only do it with Critt, would you pull the trigger?

I would buy the bullets, load the gun and fire away ..
Coca Shayne

Postby Tradeodom on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:38 pm

Even though my name says it all, Trading Bynum, while keeping Odom and getting JO is something we're gonna have to look hard at. Needless to say that big 3 would compete with the green big 3.
FISH OR FAMINE, LAKERS 4 LIFE!
Tradeodom

Postby Sabo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Sky wrote:If O'Neal coudl be had for Bynum, Crittenton and Kwame would you do it? Don't say Farmar instead, that's obvious. if Walsh would only do it with Critt, would you pull the trigger?

Then it becomes a matter of now over the future. Give me now every single time, as long as I have Kobe Bryant on my team. That deal right there leaves us with the following roster...

Fisher | Farmar | Vujacic
Bryant | Evans | Karl
Walton | Radmanovic
Odom | Turiaf | Cook
O'Neal | Mihm

- We're automatically an 8th seed as long as we have Kobe (last year proved that).
- When Odom & Luke were healthy early on, we were in the 4-6 range.
- Now we've replaced Andrew Bynum with a true inside presence and anchor, Smush Parker with a leader and clutch performer.
- Radmanovic is healthy
- Turiaf and Farmar are a year better.
- Got a very good backup center in Chris Mihm.

If we could turn Evans into a wingman defender and Cook in to a third string center + 2nd RD pick, I'd say we're in the hunt for the pacific crown without a doubt. Whether they're good enough to beat the Spurs or Mavericks in seven is debatable, but when you have the 2nd best player on the planet you have to like your chances.
Sabo

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:53 pm

sky:

are you ever so slightly elluding to the possibility that walsh has backed down from his bynum AND odom demand and now bynum + filler may be enough? Or, were you just being purely hypothetical?

To answer your question: hell yes id trade bynum+ for JO.

You are probably well aware of my endless rants of kwame/crit (or whatever it would take to get it done) for artest, then bynum/odom for JO. Thats a way better team IMO.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Laker's Fan on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:06 pm

Sky wrote:If O'Neal coudl be had for Bynum, Crittenton and Kwame would you do it? Don't say Farmar instead, that's obvious. if Walsh would only do it with Critt, would you pull the trigger?

Walsh showed his cards in November 2006 with this comment:

The most effusive testimony came from Donnie Walsh: "That kid is working out with Kareem, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into Kareem," the Pacers president said. "I'm not kidding. I can't imagine what he'll be like at 23. He's massive."

I believe at the end of the day Critt isn't essential to the deal. If the Lakers put Bynum on the table Oneal is ours. Would I do it?
To be good is not enough when you dream of being great.
Laker's Fan

Postby Sky on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Punk - I'm being hypothetical. It's a what if in response to rumors I don't really believe in. The salaries in the hypothetical do not work btw LA would have to add another 2M. I'm just taking the board's temperature on if folks are willing to give up Bynum and Crittenton if it means getting JO while keeping Odom. So far the answer is yes.

I'm well aware of your thirst for Artest. Question is if the Maloofs would be willing.

Tactical - That is the problem, what does LA do at center if Kwame and Bynum are both dealt? JO woudl have to go there. imo Odom cannot go back to 3.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby nomoreshaq on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:17 pm

a hell yes for JO if it was without LO.

i wouldn't really like running JO at the C position but i guess it has to be done.

JO/Mihm
Odom/Turiaf/Cook
Walton/Vlad
Kobe/Evans
Fisher/Farmar

2 all-stars, one borderline all-star, two very good system players in fish and walton. bench would be vlad as the 6th man and hopefully farmar, turiaf and mihm can be the 7-9 men.
nomoreshaq

Postby NotCreative24 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Sky whats ur take on the Lakers schedule??
NotCreative24

Postby Sky on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:17 pm

The long road trip is tough. Thing that's brutal is all but two of the back to backs are on the road, including both games in Oakland and a Phoenix game. 15 road back to backs will definitely hurt them. Only three home games in February is nuts. At least in April they stay on the west coast for all of the final eight.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby koolkobe on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:23 pm

question for everybody.

say if we could trade for JO without adding odom.

would u trade odom afterwards?

my thought would be for a player like redd or joe johnson and move kobe to SF

good or bad idea?

fisher
Redd or joe johnson
kobe
JO
Mihm
Last edited by koolkobe on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koolkobe

Postby mixtim on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm in clear numerical minority, but i'm all against giving up Crittenton and Bynum for JO, he's not worth that price
mixtim

Postby gng930 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Sky wrote:It woudl be tough for Odom to land Battier. Now that Houston has Scola they aren't as desperate for a 4. Warriors are in love with Bellinelli. The Gooden to GS rumor has been squashed as fiction, Warriors are talking with Croshere and Pavlovic.

As for all the rumors on JO, end of the day it comes down to whether LA is willing to give up Bynum to get JO. We know where Jimmy stands on that, it's his first born. Question is where Dr. Buss stands and if he's willing to overrule his son. If he is then JO can become a Laker, if not, the Indy talks are over.

If O'Neal coudl be had for Bynum, Crittenton and Kwame would you do it? Don't say Farmar instead, that's obvious. if Walsh would only do it with Critt, would you pull the trigger?

In a NY minute.
gng930

Postby jlkr on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Sky has commented that the Lakers would need to add another $2m in salary to Brown, Bynum and Crittenton for JO. Since there's no way Indy takes Vlad due to having Dunleavy and Murphy on similar toxic contracts and playing the same position, who else is available on the Lakers? Well certainly no one else that makes $2m except Cook, but didn't someone say Cook is BYC now? So have to add either McKie with buyout (doubtful) or both Sasha and Evans (last year k's). So say Indy still takes that trade (I'm really skeptical, but let's say they do), there's still no way to add Harrison...

I'm not sure I like this trade anyway because it forces JO back to the center position for the Lakers because LO can't play the 3 for long stretches anymore. If the Lakers want to make the best use of JO, they need to start the trade with Odom, then offer Crittenton and let them pick any other young player except Bynum as filler. Then JO plays the 4 while the Lakers keep their 3 centers.
jlkr

Postby OU812 on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:04 pm

You always would like to have as many back to backs on your own court, but, compared to the Shaq-Kobe era Lakers...we are allot younger and stand a better chance at back to backs than we did with Shaq and crew. If you remember...with the Shaq-Kobe Lakers...you could almost always pencil in a "L" before the game was played. (really searching for some positives here!)
OU812

Postby Radner on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:36 pm

As far as the center spot goes, I would trade Cook and Sasha for an expiring contract such as Michael Doleac ($3,120,000 1 year left), Lorenzen Wright ($3,250,000 1 year left), and Primo Brezec ($2,750,000 1 year left),

The other alternative is to trade Cook and Sasha for multiple year contracts such as Jarron Collins ($2,350,000 2 years left), Zaza Pachulia ($4,000,000 2 years left), and Steven Hunter ($3,248,000 3 years left).

Trade scenarios that work:

Heat/Lakers - Cook, Sasha for Doleac, Simien, Quinn

Hawks/Lakers - Cook, Sasha for Wright, Solomon Jones

Bobcats/Lakers - Cook Sasha for Brezec, Ryan Hollins, Jermareo Davidson

Hawks/Lakers - Cook, Sasha for Pachulia

76ers/Lakers - Cook, Sasha for Randolph, Hunter
Radner

Postby D Nice on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:52 pm

Coca Shayne wrote:

I would buy the bullets, load the gun and fire away ..
What he said.

On a side note Sky, Phil said we'd have a PG who can check his man at the start of this season. Assuming we pull off a Bynum, Critt, fillers deal for JO/Harrison (lofty, yes), would we give Pargo a look with the rest of the MLE? He's quick, can shoot, and Phil likes him.

Also, houston is supposedly looking for a backup center, with Deke possibly on his way to Boston? What about something like this, we've shown prior interest in Head...

Lakers Trade: Bynum, Crittenton, Kwame, McKie (3m/BO), Sasha, Cook, 1st
Lakers Receive: JO, Luther Head, Bobby Sura
Lakers Sign: Chris Webber (with the rest of the MLE. PJ Brown is an option as well)

Rockets Trade: Luther Head, Bobby Sura
Rockets Receive: David Harrison, Brian Cook

Pacers Trade: JO, David Harrison
Pacers Receive: Bynum, Crittenton, Kwame, McKie (3m/BO), Sasha, 1st

Houston gets some depth/bigs up front. Indy gets a player who will end up at least as good as JO, as well as cap relief and more young talent in Critt/1st round pick. Maybe too much but Walsh is a better GM than Mitch. With Boston having KG/Ray/Pierce, there is no point in holding on to JO and losing him for nothing next season.

Los Angeles

PG: Head/Farmar/Fisher
SG: Kobe/Evans/Sura
SF: Odom/Luke/Carl
PF: O'Neal/Turiaf/Vlad
Cc: Webber/Mihm
D Nice

Postby L4L on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:18 am

Sky, do you anything about the value/availability of Corey Maggette?
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Sky on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:51 am

Maggette is staying put, he wants consistent minutes and Dunleavy will need to give it to him this year.

D Nice - Jackson meant Fisher. Phil will be doing stand-up at the Laugh Factory next week. Cook deals have to weigh in the BYC.

kool - I would trade Odom afterwards, but if Kobe says he stays if they add JO and keep Odom then dealing Nascar is not an option.

Any trade to Atlanta is also not an option, ownership quagmire with lawsuits against each other, a dirt cheap owner with control via lawsuit who can veto any deal that puts them over the cap, etc. Just forget any deals with Atlanta.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion