Laker Summer FAQ (Read 1st post on pg. 1, then ask Qs, thx)

Postby crucifixion on Thu May 10, 2007 1:08 am

Sky, lets assume the pieces will fall where they may and say some move is made. Whether its Byum+Kwame or just Kwame/19, lets just assume a move like that is made....I have a seperate question about filling out the team with the role players you mentioned.

What do you think of the possibility of the Lakers reaching out to Derek Anderson, Bonzi Wells, Eddie Jones, and Kobestopper, and of those four, offer 3 of them 1/3 of the MLE for 5 years. So that should be starting about $2.1M a year for 5 years, makes it a total of $10.5M for each of the three. We can even include player opt outs after 2-3 years if they want.

Either way, I'd love to have, say DA, Bonzi, and EJ as quality backup role players for only $2.1M a year. What do you think of that possibility? I'm basing this on the fact that all 3 signed for the vet min or less this year, so $2.1M for 5 yrs is a lot. I suppose someone might offer $3M/yr but cant see those three getting more than that, right?
Odom Light: Less filling, Wastes great
crucifixion

Postby sticky on Thu May 10, 2007 4:06 am

sky,

if you the lakers possibly won't get o'neal or garnett, do you believe they can pull lewis or artest in? if they don't do ANYTHING significant what do you think will happen with kobe?
KOBE 4 MVP!

Postby TrixR4Kids on Thu May 10, 2007 8:58 am

I just wanted to point out something that is being looked past in a lot of these potential trades.
We traded our first round pick last year, meaning we can't trade #19 this year. You can't trade your first rounder two years in a row.
There are ways around it, but this rule does make it more difficult to get a deal done. We can trade the rights to a player after he is already drafted, but we can't trade the pick itself. We could still trade the pick by having an agreement in place before the draft and then drafting a particular player for another team in order to then trade him. But this is a little more difficult to get done than if we had the ability to trade the pick itself
TrixR4Kids

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu May 10, 2007 9:03 am

TrixR4Kids wrote:I just wanted to point out something that is being looked past in a lot of these potential trades.
We traded our first round pick last year, meaning we can't trade #19 this year. You can't trade your first rounder two years in a row.
There are ways around it, but this rule does make it more difficult to get a deal done. We can trade the rights to a player after he is already drafted, but we can't trade the pick itself. We could still trade the pick by having an agreement in place before the draft and then drafting a particular player for another team in order to then trade him. But this is a little more difficult to get done than if we had the ability to trade the pick itself

:man3: First off, I've never heard of that rule, would you happen to have a link to the rulebook where it states that? Secondly, didn't we draft Farmar with our 1st Round Pick last year?
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby The Maverick on Thu May 10, 2007 9:04 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
TrixR4Kids wrote:I just wanted to point out something that is being looked past in a lot of these potential trades.

:man3: First off, I've never heard of that rule, would you happen to have a link to the rulebook where it states that? Secondly, didn't we draft Farmar with our 1st Round Pick last year?

We used Miami's pick to draft Farmar.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby TrixR4Kids on Thu May 10, 2007 9:08 am

Legend In The Making wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

there could be more to the rule. but i'm pretty sure you can't trade your 1st rounder in consecutive years. i'm sure sky probably knows the specifics a little better on it. maybe he can clear it up some...
TrixR4Kids

Postby no_dont on Thu May 10, 2007 9:09 am

revgen wrote:
no_dont wrote:Sky-
Do you think teams will get into a bidding war for AB? Instead of us doing all the hustling will we get decent offers for him + salary fill?

I know you're asking Sky,

But I just don't see how anybody can get into a bidding war with somebody that makes $2 million.

As someone mentioned add for salary. I am wondering b/c we are always on the end of taking crap with a certain player. Are teams willing to take our crap with Bynum.

AB + Kwame is 11mil= Outside of LO that should net us a good player(s)

Cook + AB=7-8 mil. That too is a solid player. GWallace possibly. That move alone makes us better even if we are stuck with lamer
HO-BE
no_dont

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu May 10, 2007 9:13 am

TrixR4Kids wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

there could be more to the rule. but i'm pretty sure you can't trade your 1st rounder in consecutive years. i'm sure sky probably knows the specifics a little better on it. maybe he can clear it up some...

Cool, we'll wait for the Doctor to check in. :mhihi:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby crucifixion on Thu May 10, 2007 9:14 am

TrixR4Kids wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

That is correct I believe, altho I'm not sure how it works when we already had a pick (Miami).....you can't trade first rounders in consecutive years, but really, for us, its not too relevant because as you stated earlier, we can trade the pick AFTER we select it. Kinda like how we got Kareem Rush or Brian Cook or whatever jobber it was that was part of the Tracy Murry deal. We told the Raptors to select the player we wanted, then they made the pick, we made our pick, and swapped.

I say it is not relevant because in our situation, we almost HAVE to wait till the pick is selected to trade it because if we are making a monster trade for JO, we need salaries to match. If we trade the pick now, there is no salary slot assigned to it. But after you make the pick, that draft pick gets a salary slot, so in our case it will be about $1.5M I think. So after we make the pick, we'd trade it, and it would be like adding another $1.5M to the deal, which is what we would need in a Kwame/Bynum for JO deal since our fillers (e.g. Sasha, Cook, etc) may not add up to the 125%+100K to make salaries match.

But either way, I'm sure regardless of the consecutive years rule or not, we'll make the pick, then trade it, so we have that tradeable salary slot.
Odom Light: Less filling, Wastes great
crucifixion

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu May 10, 2007 9:35 am

Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Sky on Thu May 10, 2007 11:23 am

AVH - In recent years the Lakers have considered clearing cap room for targets and it's blown up in their face every time with the players they want getting locked up. That is clearly going to color their thinking.

The CBA has advantages in terms of higher baseline for veterans and higher annual raises. Players are very reluctant to give that up. Recent history shows few players jumping ship and more going out in trade. Given what has happened in past cap room strategies I do not see LA heading down that path again. They trade to get what they want now or they wait for summer 2009 when they have flexibility and the names are available again.

It's a rare post from you that doesn't have Luke Walton going out in trade. They loooooove Luke ok? I don't care how much you want him gone, what it brings back, how much they would improve with the new players coming from the deal, the people that make the decision are 180 degrees from you. They want Luke back starting at 3 and have every intention of re-signing him. Kobe also loves Luke, praised him for playing through pain. They are not trading Walton unless it's pivotal to landing the 2-way big directly.

You can make the case for but look on the floor, they might get Brand. Brnad is the only one that could even be remotely possible. KG isn't opting out and JO is getting dealt. So LA is going to put all it's eggs in the Brand basket, knowing players want to keep their K's and then be dealt, knowing the Clips refuse to deal with us? Nope.
Last edited by Sky on Thu May 10, 2007 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby no_dont on Thu May 10, 2007 11:24 am

no_dont wrote:Sky-
Do you think teams will get into a bidding war for AB? Instead of us doing all the hustling will we get decent offers for him + salary fill?

since your back
HO-BE
no_dont

Postby Sky on Thu May 10, 2007 11:34 am

no - Putting Bynum on eBay lessens his value. They need to build up the untouchable mystique so that giving Bynum in trade is a HUGE Laker concession. Can get more in trade and possibly get around having to take back baggage like Tinsley by maintaing Bynum is off limits.

Other questions:

Bibby in S&T. Maloofs won't do that.

Does Walsh loving Bynum help? Sure. But this is Bird's call. A positive sign is that Indy is interviewing green coaches, points to dealing JO in a franchise rebuild.

Radmanovic. No one is taking him unless he is packaged with Laker gold, Odom or Bynum. And taking him with Odom gets into major bucks so that's unlikely.

Kidd redux? Doesn't look like it. Dallas is making a run. Jackson's comments abotu the 1 sounded like he wanted a role player that can stay in front of his man and is fundamentally sound, making good decisions.

Ely. Not a tri player. Traditional back to the basket black hole.

Split MLE in thirds in 5-year deals. Doubt LA goes long term with any of the guys mentioned (Bonzi, EJ, DA). All are older and lengthy deals are a mistake. Maybe they can split the MLE on two, but three is really pushing it.

Shard. Requires Odom or Bynum in S&T and the Lakers won't do that. Seattle wants to re-sign him and he wants to stay anyway. They pay Shard what he wants he stays.

Artest. Depends on whether Sac has any trade suitors. If they do off he goes. If they don't we have an outside shot.

19th pick. The Stepien Rule is frequently misunderstood. Here's the language from Larry's FAQ that makes it very clear the Lakers CAN deal the pick this year.

"This rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then teams can trade their 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had a 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

In addition, teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their first round pick. So teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years."

The 19th pick can be dealt.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby FunkBreakKid on Thu May 10, 2007 11:43 am

If they really want to keep Odom and Bynum which I'm sure they do because they hate making tough decisions and don't want to break up this precious core, I'd like a smart move like say, dealing Walton (s&t) and Farmar for Ricky Davis.

That would be our 2nd scorer there, athletic, plays defense, adds much needed toughness to the team.

That's basically a type of a move I'd like them to do.

Fool some team and give them Walton and some other scrubs for an ultra talented player. They never do those type of moves, well maybe now's the time. TWolves fans always cry for some IQ, anyway.

But if the rumor is true that they rejected freaking Corey Maggette for Walton, I don't see it happening but I personally think it's time to part ways with Walton and given his current high trade value, he should be signed and traded IMO.
That or give him a small contract (like $4.5 mill a year) but move him to the bench.

Athletic SF's are crucial nowadays. Sorry Luki boi.
Last edited by FunkBreakKid on Thu May 10, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
FunkBreakKid

Postby Sky on Thu May 10, 2007 11:47 am

They should. But they won't. Triangle uber alles.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby AVH on Thu May 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Sky, I love your curt style brother.

Straight to the point on all topics asked.
Take it as a compliment, but don't let your head swell, I still disagree with you on a number of issues:

1) Walton
2) Bynum being dealt with Odom
3) Had we gone Odom and big against Phoenix and potential outcomes
etc.

Anyway, Ive wasted enough of members' time reading that.

What about that Pipe scenario posted by someone at Kb24.com regarding something from ESPN radio.

How likely is that type of deal, whereby:

1) Lakers trade Odom, Bynum, fillers, picks, cash

for

KG

2) three way

Lakers in: Artest Tinsley
Kings in: JO, Shawne Williams
Pacers in: Kwame, Vlad, Bibby, Kings lotto pick

Whats your take on this.

It seems rather reasonable as they unload Tinsley and they get Bibby who's contract ends soon plus the lotto pick and Kwame's expiring contract.

The kings and Pacers? No brainers really.
AVH

Postby richsmith on Thu May 10, 2007 1:22 pm

AVH - Why would the Pacers give away JO without getting any young talent back, and at the same time taking on two bad contracts (Radman through 2011 and Bibby through 2009)? There will be a number of more attractive deals for JO on the table in which they can shed Tinsley's contract yet still get back a young (potential) centerpiece.
richsmith

Postby Sky on Thu May 10, 2007 1:41 pm

AVH - We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I agree with you entirely on the basketball logic of why you deal Walton, but the Gang of Four ignores that, they see triangle manna from the heavens, a popular white hero, and an unselfish guy that feeds Kobe the ball.

You can keep saying but they're so much better by trading him for X, they don't care. They don't care about the basketball logic they want their tri glue. Luke only goes out in S&T to facilitate a 2-way big acquisition.

The kb24 thing is total pipe. Sac gets JO for a song. The Kings lottery pick isn't nearly high enough to compensate for an aging Bibby for JO. Indy gets reamed.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby SignPippenNow on Thu May 10, 2007 4:33 pm

Sky, If the Lakers get Jermaine O'Neal when do you think it will go down. Before the playoffs are finished, before the draft etc.
SignPippenNow

Postby d.carter4kobe on Thu May 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Sky can you include cash in a deal to make salaries work???

And would the Wolves take on Vlads contract if we include Lamar and Drew??
Last edited by d.carter4kobe on Thu May 10, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.carter4kobe

Postby Punk-101 on Thu May 10, 2007 5:06 pm

SignPippenNow wrote:Sky, If the Lakers get Jermaine O'Neal when do you think it will go down. Before the playoffs are finished, before the draft etc.

trades cant be made until july 1st i believe.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
SignPippenNow wrote:Sky, If the Lakers get Jermaine O'Neal when do you think it will go down. Before the playoffs are finished, before the draft etc.

Really? I thought 2 teams that aren't in the playoffs could trade with each other whenever. July 1st is the date teams can begin negotiating with Free Agents.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby ASULaker on Thu May 10, 2007 5:12 pm

Sky- I was reading a Q & A on a Bulls site and someone mentioned that we trade odom and cook for Hinrich and their 1st rnd pick. Is this at all conceivable? I guess it has to do with Hinrichs extension and fillers...would the Lakers even think about doing this? They could either use the pick or trade it right? WOuld the Bulls do something like this?

-I guess the would only do this if they had another deal lined up, they can in turn try and find a deal where they get a good PF including Bynum in the deal and it would solve a lot of problems....a good defending pg and shooter, an allstar PF with a high draft pick.
ASULaker

Postby Punk-101 on Thu May 10, 2007 5:15 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:

Really? I thought 2 teams that aren't in the playoffs could trade with each other whenever. July 1st is the date teams can begin negotiating with Free Agents.

im probably wrong then. I must've been thinking about the FA's.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Giorgio Moroder on Thu May 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:

im probably wrong then. I must've been thinking about the FA's.

teams that didn't make the playoffs or were eliminated can trade with eachother right now. Deals don't usually happen until after the Draft lottery takes place in a couple of weeks.
PG- Jalen Rose/Farmar
Sg- Kobe/Shannon Brown
SF- Dorell Wright/ Dermarr Johnson
PF-Lamar Odom/Turiaf/Sean Williams
C- JO/Mihm/Williams
Giorgio Moroder

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion