Laker Summer FAQ (Read 1st post on pg. 1, then ask Qs, thx)

Postby nomoreshaq on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:38 pm

sky,

do you roll with this team or make another trade?

mihm/harrison
jo/turiaf/cook
lo/walton
kobe/evans
fisher/crittenton(or farmar)/sasha
nomoreshaq

Postby JuanoLAL on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:39 pm

nomoreshaq wrote:sky,

do you roll with this team or make another trade?

mihm/harrison
jo/turiaf/cook
lo/walton
kobe/evans
fisher/crittenton(or farmar)/sasha

Roll, but maybe use the remainder of our money to sign a Melvin Ely-type player.
JuanoLAL

Postby crucifixion on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:27 pm

DangerousFromDeeep wrote:
Sky wrote:Talkie - Walton can't be dealt until Dec. 15, as jlkr said. LA doesn't value Artest enough to part with Luke anyway. If they can get Artest for Farmar and Kwame they will do it, if a deal requires more than that they will pass.

Dagger - It's not so much Bynum the player that sparks civil war as the direction he represents. Build around Kobe now while you have the best player in the game vs. Let Them Gel and pray Bynum lives up to the hype. Keeping both is not an option imo. Kobe wants a ring while he stil has prime left and Bynum won;t be ready to anchor for another two years imo. Kobe has thre years of prime left, Bynum takes two years, Kobe says screw this. Cake and eat it too with Kobe and ABynum is NOT an option. They have to choose.

Ricky Davis - MN keeps him now, last year.
Bobby Simmons - toxic contract, uncertain health
Andre Miller - was a possibility until Fisher signed
Corey Maggette - LA turned down Luke for Maggette

Chivalry - Sac would want Crawford for themselves. Even if they didn't, Crawford hated the tri in Chicago, broke from it on the floor, ripped it in the media.

Crux - I think JO's commenhts show a desire to be a laker and play with Kobe and may motivate LA to try harder to get him, but not to the point of Odom and Bynum. imo the thing to do is make an Odom deal first and then come back to Indy. But Mitch making one deal much less two is extremely remote.

WTF would we turn down maggette for luke down?

Also, how does JOs comments increase his chances of landing here?

Because Luke has Tri knowledge, Maggs does not. Simple as that. PJ values Luke way too much for his offense and won't give him up for anything
Odom Light: Less filling, Wastes great
crucifixion

Postby crucifixion on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:29 pm

Sky, I have a question. If Kobe were willing, say if the Lakers got JO, could Kobe either a)waive his opt out or b)sign an extension on his current deal? Basically Im thinking if the Lakers finally relent and trade Bynum/Critt for JO, that the Lakers would only do that if they got a signed agreeemnt from Kobe saying he wont leave them in 2 years. Possible?
crucifixion

Postby thewill on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:04 pm

sky, could JO's contract be restructured? I think he's only worth $15M/yr
thewill

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:40 pm

Sky, you think the pacers will now bite on the BYnum/Kwame/Cook deal for JO after his public comments about wanting to come to LA? I dont see why they wouldnt do it, they get the YOUNG BIG with potential that they want, an expiring K, and a big man with range that has a short term cheap contract...why would they want LO they already are stacked at SF/PF....
FabFourLakers

Postby d.carter4kobe on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:49 pm

What if we took on a bad contract to get Rickey Davis?

Kwame+Farmar+2nd for R.Davis+Hassell or another bad k
d.carter4kobe

Postby Tradeodom on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:53 pm

so now that the cat is out of the bag, what's your word Sky?
FISH OR FAMINE, LAKERS 4 LIFE!
Tradeodom

Postby THE_DAGGER on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:55 pm

Sky wrote:Dagger - It's not so much Bynum the player that sparks civil war as the direction he represents. Build around Kobe now while you have the best player in the game vs. Let Them Gel and pray Bynum lives up to the hype. Keeping both is not an option imo. Kobe wants a ring while he stil has prime left and Bynum won;t be ready to anchor for another two years imo. Kobe has thre years of prime left, Bynum takes two years, Kobe says screw this. Cake and eat it too with Kobe and ABynum is NOT an option. They have to choose.

But, is it not true that the real reason we're at this point is because Lamar and Kwame haven't played up to their potential?

If they were the players we thought they were going to be, we wouldn't even be focused on Bynum right now. We would be giving him a fair chance to develop at the normal rate that most young players develop at.

Now it's like in order to fix our current situation, Bynum has to pay the price because of our mistakes with Lamar and Kwame.

As for the players I mentioned as potential options in non-blockbuster deals. Are you saying that the Lakers or the other teams involved wouldn't even consider deals involving these players?

The Lakers only options are JO, stand pat, or trade Kobe?

In relation to JO, I posted this in the JO thread. I would like to know what you think of the trade scenario.

The Pacers were willing to take Jefferson, Krstic, and Collins for JO. But, the deal breaker for them was that they wanted Marcus Williams.

The Nets were willing to give Jefferson, Krstic, and Collins for JO. But, the deal breaker for them was that they didn't want give up Marcus Williams.

Why don't both teams compromise and settle for a little less? The Lakers can help facilitate that.

The Nets get Lamar. The Pacers get Farmar.

Nets outgoing: Jefferson, Krstic, and Collins
Nets incoming: Lamar, Dunleavy, and Harrison

Pacers outgoing: JO, Murphy, Dunleavy, Harrison
Pacers incoming: Jefferson, Krstic, Collins, Kwame, and Farmar

Lakers outgoing: Lamar, Kwame, and Farmar
Lakers incoming: JO and Murphy

The Nets don't get JO, but they get a PF that's only about one notch below JO and they don't have to give up Marcus Williams.

The Pacers don't get Williams, but they get a PG that was drafted only 4 spots after Williams. Plus, they get everything else they were willing to take from the Nets for JO without giving them JO. The added bonus in all of this is that they get Kwame's $9M expiring contract.

On our side, I'm sorry, but while Kobe-JO-LO looks good on paper, I don't think it will convert well on court. JO plays best at PF. Lama plays best at PF as well.

All of Lamar's advantages are at PF. He can drive by slower PF's. He gets more open looks from the perimeter because most PF's don't want to come out there to guard him. He can out-quick slower PF's to the rebound.

You put him at the 3 and you take away his advantages. Yes, he'll be taller and longer than most SF's in the league. But, that's countered by him being slower and less athletic than most SF's in the league. He's not going to get the open looks from the perimeter that he used to because SF's usually shoot from the perimeter and other SF's are used to guarding that. One of his biggest attributes: rebounding, will take a dip because at SF he'll be more on the perimeter and won't really be in the paint to rebound as much.

Some of you guys complain about us potentially getting another SF because we already have so much invested at the position with Luke and Vlad. Well, what do you think is going to happen if we move Lamar to SF if we already have Luke and Vlad?

Also, I've already mentioned this a few pages back before this thread exploded because of JO's recent comments, but recent history has proven that big 3's aren't very successful in winning championships. Big 2's, big 4's, and even big 5's can win championships. But, for some reason big 3's can't get over the hump.

PG: Fisher, Crittenton, Sasha
SG: Kobe, Evans
SF: Vlad, Luke
PF: JO, Murphy, Cook
C: Bynum, Mihm, Turiaf

That's a balanced team offensively and defensively. All of the starters are playing their natural positions.

We already know JO trumps LO in the scoring department. JO and Murphy have both averaged 10 rebounds in this league. So, a combination of JO, Murphy, and Bynum thrown into the mix should trump JO and LO alone in the rebounding department. As for what Lamar brings as a facilitator and in the assists department. Fisher is back and Luke is still going to be here, so both of them combined can make up for what Lamar brings in that department.

In all of this, you have to remember what championships are won with and where championships are won in. Championships are won with defense and championships are won in the paint.

With JO and Bynum together we'll match that formula better than JO and LO together.
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Postby Kobe Bryant on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:00 pm

Legend In The Making wrote:
noname wrote:
Legend In The Making wrote:Odom for Marion

Bynum, Kwame, Crittenton + Fillers for JO and David Harrison.

Fisher
Kobe
Marion
O'Neal
Harrison

odom for marion????

He's a guy that can take the pressure off Kobe defensively, he can score and rebound, a great third option imo.

Thats true but the problem is he doesnt want to be the third option... i.e. Nash, Amare, *frustrated* Marion
ImageImage
Kobe Bryant

Postby mojoballer on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:39 pm

crucifixion wrote:
DangerousFromDeeep wrote:
Sky wrote:Talkie - Walton can't be dealt until Dec. 15, as jlkr said. LA doesn't value Artest enough to part with Luke anyway. If they can get Artest for Farmar and Kwame they will do it, if a deal requires more than that they will pass.

Dagger - It's not so much Bynum the player that sparks civil war as the direction he represents. Build around Kobe now while you have the best player in the game vs. Let Them Gel and pray Bynum lives up to the hype. Keeping both is not an option imo. Kobe wants a ring while he stil has prime left and Bynum won;t be ready to anchor for another two years imo. Kobe has thre years of prime left, Bynum takes two years, Kobe says screw this. Cake and eat it too with Kobe and ABynum is NOT an option. They have to choose.

Chivalry - Sac would want Crawford for themselves. Even if they didn't, Crawford hated the tri in Chicago, broke from it on the floor, ripped it in the media.

Crux - I think JO's commenhts show a desire to be a laker and play with Kobe and may motivate LA to try harder to get him, but not to the point of Odom and Bynum. imo the thing to do is make an Odom deal first and then come back to Indy. But Mitch making one deal much less two is extremely remote.

WTF would we turn down maggette for luke down?

Also, how does JOs comments increase his chances of landing here?

Because Luke has Tri knowledge, Maggs does not. Simple as that. PJ values Luke way too much for his offense and won't give him up for anything

Also, Maggette is a black hole on offense.

BUT - he's very close to Kobe and would no doubt have had an impact on Kobe's summer rants.
mojoballer

Postby Sky on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:23 pm

Crux - Highly doubtful. Kobe won't limit his options like that. No one signs a commitment to stay, they sign a contract or an extension. I don't see Kobe voluntarily giving up his leverage.

thewill - NBA isn't the NFL they don't allow you to restructure deals down. Only way to do it is the player opts out and agrees to an extension for less. KG did that in a sense, he didn't take max raises he was eligible for, but he didn't take a pay cut. You are proposing JO voluntarily surrender 5M per, won't happen.

You guys are into volunteerism tonight.

Fab 4 - imo Walsh wil say, if I'm not getting Odom then I better be getting Crittenton. I asked this question to you guys a week ago, if a JO deal keeps Odom but deals Crittenton are you ok with it, you guys said yes. No doubt Kupchak will try Farmar and a #1 instead, doubt Walsh goes for it.

dc - Won't happen. LA hates taking on bad k's. Particularly to get a guy they aren't that high on to begin with.

Tradeodom - JO is trying his best to get here. imo it would take Bynum, Crittenton, Kwame and Sasha to happen. Sasha can be replaced with someone else. The other three cannot. I hope LA can keep Critt and move Farmar instead. But it's Mitch vs. Walsh. The odds are low.

Dagger - Past failures to add talent have put them in this position, no question. Their fault for not dealing Shaq to the west. Could have sent him to NO and have Baron, Mags and others right now. Their fault for the horrible draft run out of the gate (Rush, Cook, Sasha). Their fault for abject failure in MLE.

Yes I am saying that none of those suggested players are viable acquisitions, for the reasons already listed.

On your 3-way can't happen. Indy has publicly said they want no part of Jefferson's contract.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby L4L on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:38 pm

mojoballer wrote:Also, Maggette is a black hole on offense.

BUT - he's very close to Kobe and would no doubt have had an impact on Kobe's summer rants.

We need a second scoring option, and that is why we are paying Phil ten million a year.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Sky on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:21 pm

Guys,

I'll be leavng for Japan in a little under two weeks, headed to Osaka for the world championships in athletics and catching Tokyo, Kyoto and Shanghai along the way. Track is my first love, basketball is a distant second. With luck world records will be threatened or broken by Asafa Powell, Tyson Gay, Jeremy Wariner, Liu Xiang and Yelena Isinbayeva.

Should be an amazing meet. If you can, catch Gay vs. Powell going for the WR in the 100 final on Sunday the 26th. Also check out Stefan Holm in the high jump on the 29th, jumps nearly 2 feet above his head, most in history, takes mad hops to whole new level.

Anyway, I have a ton of work to do before I go, so I'm going to have to leave the FAQ thread at this point. Will be back the second week in September - with luck to a different Laker roster.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions to this thread over the past few months, it's been great fun together.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Weezy on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:23 pm

Thanks for all the answered questions Sky, it was a great thread to read. Have fun in Osaka, going there would be like a dream for me so that's awesome.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby mandingo on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:26 pm

Legend In The Making wrote:
LAL25 wrote:How could you even suggest an Odom for Marion trade, Odom has consistently abused him during the playoffs.

In fact, don't forget that Odom is usually the Lakers' best player versus the Suns during the playoffs.

Marion wouldn't be going against players 3 inches taller than him.

Until we played the Suns...
I bleed purple and sweat gold, don't ever question that.
Play Good Call
mandingo

Postby mandingo on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:27 pm

Sky, are you tired of people starting every post in this thread with "Sky, ..."?

:man10: :man10: :man10:
I bleed purple and sweat gold, don't ever question that.
Play Good Call
mandingo

Postby D Nice on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:36 pm

Yeah, thanks for doing this.
D Nice

Postby L4L on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:10 am

Weezy wrote:Thanks for all the answered questions Sky, it was a great thread to read. Have fun in Osaka, going there would be like a dream for me so that's awesome.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JuanoLAL on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:12 am

Thanks Sky, you've answered a lot of my questions over the past few weeks of misery, have fun in China and I hope too that you come back to a much improved Lakers roster.

:beer:
JuanoLAL

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:19 am

SKy- Good luck with the trip. Thanks for rocking this thread there was a lot of good lessons in this one.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:31 am

Thx for everything Sky. :jam2:
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby crucifixion on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:37 am

Sky wrote:Guys,

I'll be leavng for Japan in a little under two weeks, headed to Osaka for the world championships in athletics and catching Tokyo, Kyoto and Shanghai along the way. Track is my first love, basketball is a distant second. With luck world records will be threatened or broken by Asafa Powell, Tyson Gay, Jeremy Wariner, Liu Xiang and Yelena Isinbayeva.

Should be an amazing meet. If you can, catch Gay vs. Powell going for the WR in the 100 final on Sunday the 26th. Also check out Stefan Holm in the high jump on the 29th, jumps nearly 2 feet above his head, most in history, takes mad hops to whole new level.

Anyway, I have a ton of work to do before I go, so I'm going to have to leave the FAQ thread at this point. Will be back the second week in September - with luck to a different Laker roster.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions to this thread over the past few months, it's been great fun together.

So then are you saying that you also post on something like ClubTrack.com and answer everyones questions on which player do the sponsors like more, Gay or Powell, and that the son of the owner of the sponsors likes Gay more but the fans want him to back Powell up since Powell is in his prime, but the son of the owner is gay so thats why he supports Gay over Powell?

Don't worry Sky, the Lakers will still be the same team as you see it now.

Have a fun and get a massage with a happy ending- you deserve it!
crucifixion

Postby thewill on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:15 am

Sky, many thanks. Have a great time. I just spent a week in Tokyo for vacation. Feel free to ask questions.
thewill

Postby sticky on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:31 am

you won't be making any posts while u're traveling? who's gonna keep us updated? i don't wanna hear crap from bspn or any other crap sites!....c'mon FO....MAKE THIS HAPPEN!...what are the proposed deals so far if any?
KOBE 4 MVP!

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion