Laker Summer FAQ (Read 1st post on pg. 1, then ask Qs, thx)

Postby Podium on Sun May 06, 2007 9:19 pm

Venti Quattro wrote:With all this offseason talk, I was wondering...is ClubLakers doing the GM Challenge again this offseason? Thanks.

Being discussed, things look positive. Stay Tuned.
Podium
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Venti Quattro on Sun May 06, 2007 9:24 pm

The Podium wrote:
Venti Quattro wrote:With all this offseason talk, I was wondering...is ClubLakers doing the GM Challenge again this offseason? Thanks.

Thanks...I'm anxiously awaiting as I would like to defend my title. :mhihi:
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby TIME on Sun May 06, 2007 9:32 pm

Sky, much appreciation for the concise overview. I tend to get lost in the financial deatails and this helps me to keep it straight.

My question: what do you think is realistically likely to happen this offseason for the team?
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sky on Sun May 06, 2007 9:55 pm

Wolf - Phil is definitely sending mixed signals. I agree that what they want ideally is Kwame, 19 and crap for a starter, good luck. His Rodman reference was a plea for Artest, but that's up to the Maloofs not the Busses.

TIME - I can see them trying Odom, Kwame, 19 for JO and Tinsley. If Bird says no I want Bynum or forget it LA probably drops it. What they do ultimately comes down to who wins between Kobe and Phil on one side saying deal Bynum and get us the help we need vs. Jimmy wanting to keep his boy. The behavior to date has been compromises and if that continues we'll see LA offering not enough for too much and striking out.

Best MLE hope might be Steve Blake given Denver's no tax stand.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby The Maverick on Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Vlad, Farmar, 2008 1st round pick for Artest

is that possible Sky?
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby 10scott10 on Sun May 06, 2007 10:16 pm

The Podium wrote:

I also think there needs to be a logo contest. a new logo to go with the new design
10scott10

Postby crucifixion on Sun May 06, 2007 10:17 pm

Sky- much love, you always keep it real and keep the homers in check.

AVH- Granger is untouchable. Try to think of it from their side. They have Granger at SF, Ike at PF, Shawne at 2. All they need is Bynum at C and Farmar at 1 and they'll be the Bulls of a couple years ago. All 5 starters on rookie contracts ready to take the next step with loads of cap space. Would they trade Granger for KG? Sure, but not if it was JO+Granger for KG. So again, try to think of it from their side. Also rememeber we're the Lakers. I know you're Kobe first so you may not understand what it means to be Lakers first, but to other teams, that means everything and they absolutely despise us and will spite themselves (e.g. Minny not trading KG, Phx getting Banks/Rose, etc) if it means they can hurt us. Its just life being a Laker.

Also, with the Knicks in the JO chase, that all but eliminates Sky's Kwame+Odom+19 scenario. Now it MUST include Bynum. Any trade the Lakers make that will include an all star will include Bynum. We may be able to get AK but the cost will be Odom and really the difference to the team will only be a marginal benefit, even though people may think Odom>AK.

So we'll see how it goes this year.
Odom Light: Less filling, Wastes great
crucifixion

Postby Sky on Sun May 06, 2007 10:17 pm

merged on page 1.
Last edited by Sky on Tue May 08, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby jBL on Sun May 06, 2007 10:18 pm

If we do get Artest for Radmanovic, a filler, and a pick, would the management try to pursue Kwame and 19th for a starter, instead of KG or JO?
jBL

Postby lakeshow2k4 on Sun May 06, 2007 10:21 pm

Thanks Sky. Is the Vegas thing a done deal? That sucks because my buddies and I would make the short trip from Pasadena to Long Beach every year. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to make a trip out to Vegas!!
lakeshow2k4

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun May 06, 2007 10:23 pm

Good so we've basically established fact that a draft player here and a MLE signing there is not acceptable. To me the JO trade seems the most realistic...
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Sky on Sun May 06, 2007 10:29 pm

The Kings aren't going to deal for Radmanovic's contract. They are building cap room for summer 2009.

The barrier in Sac is if the Maloofs will even allow Artest to be dealt to LA. Doubt it. If New York approaches them about Artest off he goes. Isiah has a number of different pieces to address whatever hole Sac wants to fill.

The Lakers best chance may be Sac just buys Artest out and then LA goes after him with MLE. However, someone besides LA is likely to approach them about Artest hoping to deal for pennies on the dollar.

If LA is willing to offer Odom or Bynum then Sac will listen despite the Maloofs lakahate. But will LA do that? Seriously doubt it. Bucher had LA asking about Bibby, but a number of other reports said LA never even asked about Bibby. With Jackson saying we'll have a 1 that can stay in front of the opposing point next year, that would certainly rule out Bibby.

Lakeshow - Yeah Vegas is a done deal. July 6-15. The Lakers want to run their own league the following year, so hopefully they're back in SoCal for summer 2008.
Last edited by Sky on Sun May 06, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby jOeyB7000 on Sun May 06, 2007 10:30 pm

Thank you Vasashi and thanks Sky for answering my poison pill contract question. It all makes sense to me now that you explained it thoroughly.
jOeyB7000

Postby The Maverick on Sun May 06, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks Sky. Really appreciate your work and answering all our questions.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby gng930 on Sun May 06, 2007 10:50 pm

Sky - How about an an addendum to your KG deal: Odom, Bynum, Kwame, Sasha, #1 for KG, James, Blount.

With Kwame and Bynum coming in, Wolves have no need for Blount; he's another long contract that the Lakers can take off their shoulders. Lakers OTOH don't need to bank on Mags signing with the MLE. They can use it to fill other needs, like Blake and a veteran big man. Do the Wolves view Blount as a negative or positive in a trade?

Also, what you think about an independent swap of one bad contract for another: Vlad for Jaric?
gng930

Postby Showtime is Magic on Sun May 06, 2007 11:04 pm

Sky, is it possible to keep Odom and get KG? Contract (Salary Cap) and Trade wise?
Image Image
Showtime is Magic

Postby Sky on Sun May 06, 2007 11:21 pm

Showtime - No. Odom has to be in there for equal value and contract matching.

gng - Adding Sasha doesn't really change anything. Blount played well for them second half of the year. Howver if they were dealing KG they'd want to start over so then dumping the K has value.

My question is if this offer is enough to get them to say yeah we have to deal KG we won't get a beter offer than this one. Can't see them reacting that way.

Rad for Jaric. Emplay and I floated that one to each other. Can see it. Don't like it though. I'm not a Jaric fan at all. This is the kind of deal they only puruse if they fail in every trade and strike out with the MLE.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Showtime is Magic on Mon May 07, 2007 12:51 am

Sky wrote:Showtime - No. Odom has to be in there for equal value and contract matching.

How about keeping Bynum and getting KG (thats if they agree). Will that match salary wise?
Image Image
Showtime is Magic

Postby jBL on Mon May 07, 2007 1:59 am

Since we can make trades now, how about we package expiring Ks like McKie, Williams, Parker, and Mihm (combination of whoever) and take back Minny's bad contracts along with KG?
jBL

Postby bhatta on Mon May 07, 2007 2:43 am

jungbum wrote:Since we can make trades now, how about we package expiring Ks like McKie, Williams, Parker, and Mihm (combination of whoever) and take back Minny's bad contracts along with KG?
You can't do that - those players are already considered free agents and their deals have expired because there is no where for them to play now.
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby bhatta on Mon May 07, 2007 2:49 am

Showtime is Magic wrote:
Sky wrote:Showtime - No. Odom has to be in there for equal value and contract matching.

How about keeping Bynum and getting KG (thats if they agree). Will that match salary wise?
Because KG is set to make $22-million next season, the only players that the Lakers can offer to get close enough to matching salaries are Kobe and Lamar. Obviously, Kobe's not going anywhere, so Lamar HAS to be a part of any deal that brings in KG.

Lamar + any combination of salaries must equal = $17,520,000 to get KG

Possible combinations are:
Lamar and Kwame
Lamar and Vlad
Lamar and Bynum and Evans
etc.

As long as you can get to within $100,000 more than 125% of the salary you are taking in.
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby Barnstable on Mon May 07, 2007 3:16 am

Great FAQ Sky :bow:

Nice to have all the info in one handy thread.

Question: Any chance for Billups and are the Lakers even considering pursuing him?
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby bhatta on Mon May 07, 2007 3:59 am

Not speaking for Sky, but from what I've heard. Dumars has vowed to do anything he can to keep Billups in Detroit.

The only shot the Lakers have is a sign-and-trade, but the Pistons don't have many needs: they'll need a center because Webber has said he's either going to retire or go to New York (supposedly), they'll need a new starting PG, and they could use a back-up at the 2/3.

The problem is Billups is looking for a max-type deal, The Lakers would have to give up a lot to get him and with Tayshaun Prince already on their roster, the Pistons won't be interested in Lamar Odom. Without Odom in the deal, the Lakers would only be able to offer Kwame, Vlad, and Bynum for Billups' services, the same package I think they'll give to Indy for JO.

The salaries won't be a problem, the Lakers can match anything up to $21-million. Although the Pistons will get the centers that they need and the backup 3 they could use, it doesn't seem like it'll be enough to get Billups from Dumars' fingers. Published reports have them giving Billups almost everything he wants, so this is pretty unlikely.
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby juninho on Mon May 07, 2007 4:11 am

Sky wrote:Rad for Jaric. Emplay and I floated that one to each other. Can see it. Don't like it though. I'm not a Jaric fan at all. This is the kind of deal they only puruse if they fail in every trade and strike out with the MLE.

What about Rad for Mike James?
juninho

Postby sticky on Mon May 07, 2007 4:56 am

sky,

what do you THINK will get done if anything?
KOBE 4 MVP!

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion