Laker Summer FAQ (Read 1st post on pg. 1, then ask Qs, thx)

Postby mixtim on Mon May 07, 2007 6:02 am

Sky, you didn't mention a name i think we should go after very hard, Andre Miller

Any chance to land him without Steven Hunter's contract attached as well?

Would a combination of Artest+Andre Miller ( no JO,no KG) be enough starpower and glamour for fans and ticket selling, as it' would be IMHO enough to make us legit contenders again?
mixtim

Postby The Maverick on Mon May 07, 2007 7:54 am

mixtim wrote:Sky, you didn't mention a name i think we should go after very hard, Andre Miller

Any chance to land him without Steven Hunter's contract attached as well?

Sixers want to keep Miller, he brings a lot to their team.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby AVH on Mon May 07, 2007 8:04 am

gng930 wrote:Sky - How about an an addendum to your KG deal: Odom, Bynum, Kwame, Sasha, #1 for KG, James, Blount.

With Kwame and Bynum coming in, Wolves have no need for Blount; he's another long contract that the Lakers can take off their shoulders. Lakers OTOH don't need to bank on Mags signing with the MLE. They can use it to fill other needs, like Blake and a veteran big man. Do the Wolves view Blount as a negative or positive in a trade?

Also, what you think about an independent swap of one bad contract for another: Vlad for Jaric?

This was my suggested trade.

Im not sure they trade KG, but ill tell you this.

I dont see a better deal out there than Kwame, Odom, Bynum, Sasha OR Farmar AND the #19 for KG, Blount and James/Hudson

Plus, a swap of Vlad for Jaric if they want to.

Its a lot, but we can fill our pg hole in this trade AND still have our MLE to sign a center or wing defender like James Posey.

Either way, I think we need to explore this trade to its fullest before giving up.

And yes, Sky, thank you for your efforts.
AVH

Postby wolfpaclaker on Mon May 07, 2007 8:32 am

Sky- much love, you always keep it real and keep the homers in check.

Agreed.

Thanks for doing this, Sky.
wolfpaclaker

Postby AVH on Mon May 07, 2007 8:55 am

Since this came up in the other thread, I feel like I have to ask.

Did the Celtics EVER in the last 2-3 years, offer Pierce for Odom.

If so, whats the likelihood of such a trade now?

Say, Odom +19 + Farmar for Pierce?

That would solve a ton of problems in Lakerland as the only positions left would be PG and PF.

One can be obtained with Kwame's expiring contract And the other through the MLE.

I highly doubt it, but it needs to be asked, if for nothing else but to relieve me of my curiosity.
AVH

Postby richsmith on Mon May 07, 2007 9:46 am

AVH wrote:That would solve a ton of problems in Lakerland as the only positions left would be PG and PF.

One can be obtained with Kwame's expiring contract And the other through the MLE.

I highly doubt it, but it needs to be asked, if for nothing else but to relieve me of my curiosity.

I'm not a fan of having your best players at the 2 and the 3. Pierce is no Pippen, he's a scorer first, a brilliant one but I doubt he meshes well with Kobe. Odom will only be traded for a player who can effectively anchor the defense AND allow the Lakers to develop a more inside-outside offense. Pierce is not that guy.

There don't seem to be too many attractive 4s on which to spend the MLE, and I'm not sure if Kwame's contract is enough to land us a desirable one in trade. Even if it does, we get the 4 in trade and spend the MLE on a point, but that leaves us with Bynum and no one else at center. Not good enough.
richsmith

Postby Sky on Mon May 07, 2007 10:37 am

Thanks for the props guys.

Merged on page 1.
Last edited by Sky on Tue May 08, 2007 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Laker's Fan on Mon May 07, 2007 10:38 am

Interesting that no on has mentioned Boston as a possible destination for Oneal.

A package of Ratliff, Green and Sczerbiak would have some appeal. It has a large expiring contract, talented player on a 2 year deal and a very talented shooting guard on a rookie deal. Compare that to a Laker offer of Odom/Kwame/Pick #19 and you see it as viable. While Odom is a much better player than Sczerbiak, Green is probably the better asset compared to pick #19. The expiring deals are probably a wash. Boston could throw in a future first or perhaps Delonte West and viola.

Oneal paired with Pierce, Jefferson and a top 5 pick in the draft would surely be a top seed in the East. One would imagine Bird wouldn't have a problem helping his old pal Ainge and his second favorite organization move back into elite status.
To be good is not enough when you dream of being great.
Laker's Fan

Postby NotCreative24 on Mon May 07, 2007 10:44 am

Sky very nice insight. Say hypothetically LA somehow was able to land both Artest and JO, is it true both of them still have ill feelings toward eachother and may not want to play on the same team again??
NotCreative24

Postby Sky on Mon May 07, 2007 10:46 am

Fan - Boston is possible, their options become clearer after the lottery. Problem with what you've proposed is Indy deals a big and doesn't get one in return. Rat is done. If I'm Bird I'd want Jefferson. I'm not sure a cap room strategy works for Indy, what FA wants to go to Indianapolis?

24 - JO signed off on dealing Artest, but I doubt they'd have a feud in LA if they were reunited.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Giorgio Moroder on Mon May 07, 2007 10:56 am

Looks like JO or Bust. In other words Kobe will bounce and Mitch Kupchak has destroyed this franchise.
PG- Jalen Rose/Farmar
Sg- Kobe/Shannon Brown
SF- Dorell Wright/ Dermarr Johnson
PF-Lamar Odom/Turiaf/Sean Williams
C- JO/Mihm/Williams
Giorgio Moroder

Postby wolfpaclaker on Mon May 07, 2007 11:00 am

FWIW, Phil did sign off on Artest in the past and just recently made comments about needing that Rodman piece and how that type of piece can make a big impact.

Granted Artest is no Rodman but it's probably something Phil would still love to have. Artest basically would take Luke's spot in the starting lineup but add the neccesary defense we need. Like Luke, Ron can post up and at times initiate the offense. Unlike Luke, he is a me first player and there is a question of his mental health.

At this point I'd take him on if it cost Kwame. I really don't think the Lakers are in a position to be picky anymore, not unless they are willing to deal Bynum or Odom or both.

I think the players the Kings would want on our roster outside of Odom/Bynum are Walton+Farmar. I doubt the Lakers deal Walton but Farmar is a possibility.

And as Sky pointed out, it's all about the Magoofs. They hate us and wouldn't want to deal with us. The deadline deal (alleged deadline deal that is) that I read as a rumor made alot of sense for them. It was Bibby for Kwame, Radman and Farmar. Talk about a move a lottery team like the Kings could use. Saved them money and gave them 2 guys (Farmar, Radman) that would fit the their system really well. But they passed .. why? Just because it was a deal with the Lakers.
wolfpaclaker

Postby richsmith on Mon May 07, 2007 11:16 am

wolfpaclaker wrote:And as Sky pointed out, it's all about the Magoofs. They hate us and wouldn't want to deal with us. The deadline deal (alleged deadline deal that is) that I read as a rumor made alot of sense for them. It was Bibby for Kwame, Radman and Farmar. Talk about a move a lottery team like the Kings could use. Saved them money and gave them 2 guys (Farmar, Radman) that would fit the their system really well. But they passed .. why? Just because it was a deal with the Lakers.

I would pass too if it involved Radmanovich. Coming off his terrible season, he's close to untradeable.

Sky- great job with this, man. One question: how much money is James Posey likely to be looking for over the summer? I'm sure Riley is making it a priority to resign him, but I find it hard to believe Kupchak wouldn't make him an MLE target. He has a number of skills that we're sorely lacking: deadeye three-point range, hustle, solid defense.
richsmith

Postby Laker's Fan on Mon May 07, 2007 11:27 am

Sky wrote:Fan - Boston is possible, their options become clearer after the lottery. Problem with what you've proposed is Indy deals a big and doesn't get one in return. Rat is done. If I'm Bird I'd want Jefferson. I'm not sure a cap room strategy works for Indy, what FA wants to go to Indianapolis?

A valid point. Substituting Jefferson for Green would be better for Indiana. It would take a larger commitment from Boston but I still think they should bite on that deal (Ratliff, Jefferson, Sczerbiak, West [maybe] for Oneal, Tinsley). In the end it's probably better for them since keeping Jefferson would create the complication of whether or not to extend him for big $$ with Oneal in front of him.

Indiana would have to extend Jefferson for $10 million + but that would be half the obligation they currently have to Oneal and they would be rid of Tinsley. Oneal is satisfied playing along side Pierce while Management is satisfied to contend in the east and have an uberprospect for the future in the wings.

I really hope LA lands JO. A deal of Odom/Kwame/#19 is fair and competitive. Let's just hope Bird sees someone he likes at #19 and maybe Ainge is too infatuated with Jefferson to deal him.
To be good is not enough when you dream of being great.
Laker's Fan

Postby AVH on Mon May 07, 2007 11:43 am

As Davidse once said,

ALL TRADE ROADS this offseason Lead through Boston.

With available assets of:

Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Delonte West, the expiring contract of Theo Ratliff AND the potential #1 overall pick, they can get any player they so choose with some combination of that and some other young players they have also, such as Rondo, Tony Allen, etc.

The lakers, just like everyone else, is at their mercy.

It must be a great feeling to be Paul Pierce knowing this right now.

Oh how Kobe would love to be in that position.
AVH

Postby AVH on Mon May 07, 2007 11:45 am

Giorgio Moroder wrote:Looks like JO or Bust. In other words Kobe will bounce and Mitch Kupchak has destroyed this franchise.

Well, if its JO or bust and it goes bust, then you can be assured,

Kobe will bounce sooner rather than later, later meaning 2009 opt out and sooner meaning this summer.
AVH

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Mon May 07, 2007 11:56 am

AVH wrote:It must be a great feeling to be Paul Pierce knowing this right now.

Oh how Kobe would love to be in that position.

Considering it took them being the laughing-stock of the league for a handful of years to gather all of those "assets", I have a feeling Kobe's just fine not switching places with Pierce.
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby wolfpaclaker on Mon May 07, 2007 11:58 am

Kobe won't leave before Phil and Phil is signed (and agreed to) come back for next season.

Earliest Kobe would ask for a trade is 2008.

Though I think they are all empty threats. I don't buy Kobe leaving through FA for a second.

To go where? Which team has the money in 2009 AND the neccesary pieces to contend?
wolfpaclaker

Postby crucifixion on Mon May 07, 2007 12:09 pm

There will be quite a few teams w/money in 2009 and 2010 based on previous FA's to be available. If Kobe declares, then everyone will go overboard and make sure they are available. After all, we had the 2007, 2008, and 2010 plans to get LeBron.

Sky- I'm so glad you did this. And I think this is something that every poster, old and new should read. If everyone read this first before posting, there would be nothing to post on CL because all the questions would have been answered and those homer trade proposals by some would have been eliminated in thought before posted.
Odom Light: Less filling, Wastes great
crucifixion

Postby Venti Quattro on Mon May 07, 2007 12:09 pm

With Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal being long shots this offseason because of their value to their respective franchises...let's just hope the lottery balls bounce the right way. If some how the Memphis Grizzlies drop out of the coveted top to spots in the 2007 NBA Draft, and the Boston Celtics end up with Kevin Durant, the Los Angeles Lakers, I believe, could have a few interesting options...

#1 - The Los Angeles Lakers trade Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Sasha Vujacic, 2007 second-round draft pick (via Bobcats), and a future first-round draft pick to the Memphis Grizzlies for Pau Gasol and Damon Stoudamire.

#2 - The Los Angeles Lakers trade Lamar Odom, Maurice Evans, and a 2007 first-round draft pick to the Boston Celtics for Paul Pierce and Tony Allen, and a 2007 second-round draft pick.

Magloire/Mihm
Gasol/Turiaf/Radmanovic
Pierce/Walton
Bryant/Allen
Stoudamire/Farmar
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby Venti Quattro on Mon May 07, 2007 12:11 pm

wolfpaclaker wrote:Kobe won't leave before Phil and Phil is signed (and agreed to) come back for next season.

Earliest Kobe would ask for a trade is 2008.

Though I think they are all empty threats. I don't buy Kobe leaving through FA for a second.

To go where? Which team has the money in 2009 AND the neccesary pieces to contend?

The Chicago Bulls...
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby Sabo on Mon May 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Sky, there is a three team deal that all three team's fans have agreed on over at realGM. What do you think and how realistic does it look?

Minny trades: Kevin Garnett, Troy Hudson, Mark Blount
Minny receives: Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Vlad Radmanovic, Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green, Lakers 07 1st, Minny future 1st back from Boston

Lakers trade: Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Lamar Odom, Vlad Radmanovic, 07 1st
Lakers receive: Kevin Garnett, Mark Blount, Troy Hudson

Boston trades: Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green, Minny's future 1st
Boston receives: Lamar Odom
Sabo

Postby crucifixion on Mon May 07, 2007 1:14 pm

Sabo wrote:Sky, there is a three team deal that all three team's fans have agreed on over at realGM. What do you think and how realistic does it look?

Minny receives: Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Vlad Radmanovic, Theo Ratliff, Gerald Green, Lakers 07 1st, Minny future 1st back from Boston

Lakers trade: Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Lamar Odom, Vlad Radmanovic, 07 1st

That's pretty creative and I can see all teams including Boston and Minny being satisfied, especially Minny.

But many problems:
1. Boston- hates L.A.
2. Minny (McHale/Boston) - hates L.A.
3. KG still goes West

All three factors eliminate this deal. If only 1 of the three existed, it could be possible, but alas, in every scenario, two of those factors will always occur (Mchale and KG going West) so no deal.

Very creative try tho.
crucifixion

Postby AVH on Mon May 07, 2007 1:37 pm

Sabo wrote:Sky, there is a three team deal that all three team's fans have agreed on over at realGM. What do you think and how realistic does it look?

These are the types of trades, that as a creative GM, you might be able to pull off.

Minnesota gets Bynum and Green, 2 first round draft picks and have 20-22 MILLION in salary cap space at the end of next year.

Theyd have Bynum, Green, Foye, 2 other first round picks this year and a payroll of about 35 million dollars at the end of next year. Thats including guys like Jaric, Vlad, Mike James and Trenton Hassell.

Talk about some crazy rebuilding in one short year. With 20-22 million, they could literally sign a max player and another very effective starter. ONe a big man and the other a SF.

What MORE could they possibly want as a franchise.

As for the Celtics. They get Odom. They'd want Odom to put with Pierce, Jefferson and their top 5 pick.

The lakers?? No brainer really!

ITs a matter of getting ON THE PHONE and making it happen. Thats it!
AVH

Postby crucifixion on Mon May 07, 2007 1:47 pm

AVH- as I stated above your post, those 3 reasons are why it won't and can't happen.

This is why at times its unfair to blame Mitch- certain things are just truly out of your hands
crucifixion

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion