Lakers 2003-2004

Lakers 2003-2004

Postby DMoNeY on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:42 am

First, i want to congratulate the Lakers on a successful draft day. They filled holes that were much needed. Two very athletic players.

As for the current Lakers here is what I think they will do:

The Lakers will part with either Derek Fisher or Robert Horry or both to acquire a point guard. They will also use Kareem Rush, Jannero Pargo, or the draft choices if necessary to make a deal. The names mentioned are Gilbert Arenas (seems unlikely) and Gary Payton. Also, note that even though the Atlanta Hawks will make a qualifying offer to Jason Terry, that does not mean the Lakers will not throw trade bait at them.

The Lakers will then use there Mid-Level Exception on PJ Brown. I think the Lakers want to get a guy who can play solid defense and grab 8-9 rebounds per game. Juwan doesn't fit in with the Lakers because he just adds another scorer, we need guys who can play defense.

The Lakers will use the Low-Level Exception on Antonio Daniels, they can use him either at the SG or PG if Fisher is indeed gone. He is athletic and gives the Lakers much needed help in the back-court.

The next step is to use as many Veterans Minimum salaries as they can. Eric Piatkowski has said publicly that he doesn't want to leave Los Angeles, and it's time to play for a winner. So the Lakers will nab him right away.

Also, the Lakers need a back-up Center. A good Center who knows Phil Jackson's system is Scott Williams. He would be a solid contributor, and a productive back-up Center. This is a good pick up for the Lakers and for cheap.

If the Lakers make these moves, even if they can't get a Point Guard, these guys will fill holes that are much needed. Tell me what you guys think, or if you feel there are better possibilities.
DMoNeY

I got money on DMoney

Postby Coppertop on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:54 am

Man, this guys knows his stuff. It's almost like he's reading everything I've been thinkin. A couple of addendums to this...

1) As much sense as it makes for PJ Brown to be the Lakers top choice, Laker brass has been indicating that Juwan Howard is the top FA power forward choice.

2) If we do get Juwan Howard instead of PJ, we need a backup center all the more

3) Isn't it interesting how there is hardly any talk about Pippen and Malone coming. Very refreshing.

4) We have filled depth issues at SF and PF, but don't expect these guys to contribute much right away.

5) I absolutely hate Samaki Walker and wish him a quick retirement.
Coppertop

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:07 pm

Good idea fellas.

Welcome to site, just in case I haven't done it an earlier thread.

I love the possible addition of Antonio Daniels and Scott Williams. Williams should go very cheap and he is still productive. He can bang around the PF of the West and can grab a few rebounds. He should be a good backup for Shaq.

Getting Daniels is also great since it adds athleticism to the back court.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby SWOL on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:10 pm

its a synopsis of everything we have been talkin about ....so naturally i agree with most of it
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Fanatic since 1979 on Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:27 am

How about PJ for the MLE and Lue instead of Daniels? Getting Daniels won't solve our problem defending quick PGs like Bibby and Parker.
Fanatic since 1979

Postby Calimatic on Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:18 am

This guy does know his stuff. I heard that Fox and Fish are on the block, for a PG. Don't know if its terry or gary; however, if for GP, then Daniels would be the better fit then lue. Plus Phil likes big PG's that you have to pass over the top of. If the lakers get GP, PJ, Daniels, and Williams then it with be BLING BLING time again.
Calimatic

:

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:22 pm

not too many teams are going to want fox since he is going to be out a good portion of next season
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby SWOL on Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:30 pm

yes ... however Fox has an expiring contract ... that is gold in the NBA
SWOL

:

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:37 pm

yeah that is true, especially for a team who is looking to get some more money for possible free agents
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby zetaw00d on Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:36 am

I would just keep the rookies and sign GP with the MLE and sign Tyrone Hill with the LLE. The chances of this happening are better then anything else. GP will not sign with the bucks!!!
zetaw00d

Postby zetaw00d on Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:15 pm

Jason Kidd heads an unrestricted free-agent list that includes Jermaine O'Neal, Brad Miller, Reggie Miller, Gary Payton, Tyrone Hill, Derrick Coleman, Juwan Howard, Scottie Pippen and Alonzo Mourning. Other notable names are Michael Olowokandi, P.J. Brown, Elden Campbell, Kenny Thomas and Rasho Nesterovic. Keon Clark could become a free agent if he opts out of his contract with Sacramento. There also is a bunch of guards, including Kenny Anderson, Earl Boykins, Dion Glover, Darrell Armstrong and Speedy Claxton.

Restricted free agents—players whose teams can match offers for one year to retain them—include Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Gilbert Arenas (though only up to about $4.6 million for the Warriors), Lamar Odom and James Posey.
zetaw00d

Postby SWOL on Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:14 pm

hummmmm.... what about Darrell Armstrong at the LLE
SWOL

Postby self made on Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:13 pm

i can see d-fish bein on the block but im unclear on why foxy is, i mean i know he's gettin old he is quite inconsistent but didnt he state that if the lakers traded him he would retire. i can see for that reason it would be hard for him to be dealt.
self made

Postby SWOL on Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:35 pm

YES BUT...RETIRING AND EXPIRING CONTRACTS ARE GOLD IN THE NBA....TEAMS ARE ALWAYS TRYING TO CREATE CAP SPACE.... LOOK AT THE OFFERS MINN. IS GETTING FOR A RETIRING TERRELL BRANDON
SWOL

youkidding

Postby fan of Shaq on Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:21 pm

:man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9: :man9:
You got to be kiding. Do you think all other GMs are Stupid
fan of Shaq

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:41 am

IT TAKES MORE THAN A REMEDIAL EDUCATION TO UNDERSTAND THE SALARY CAP..... I DONT FULLY UNDERSTAND EVERY ASPECT OF THE HARD CAP.....BUT DONT QUESTION MY KNOWLEDGE OF THE GAME BOZO.....WHY DO YOU THINK THERE ARE TRADE RUMORS SURROUNDING THE RETIRING TERRELL BRANDON?????BECAUSE HIS SALARY WILL GO OFF THE BOOKS THE FOLLOWING YEAR, FREEING UP VALUABLE CAP SPACE SO THEY CAN SIGN PLAYERS THAT YEAR....GM'S PREPARE FOR FREE AGENCY 2 EVEN 3 YEARS IN ADVANCE.....WHY DO YOU THINK EVERYONE IS TRYING TO GET UNDER NEXT YEARS CAP.....KOBE..FREE AGENT.....WE NEED TO WIN NOW
SWOL

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:43 am

NO I DONT THINK ALL THE OTHER GM'S ARE STUPID.....NO.....DO I THINK YOU ARE STUPID.....YES
SWOL

Postby zetaw00d on Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:23 pm

swolswol wrote:yes ... however Fox has an expiring contract ... that is gold in the NBA

Expiring contract??? what are you talking about? He is signed through the 2004/05 season!! He wont be a free agent til 2005. Damm thats 2 more season!!!
zetaw00d

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:33 pm

team option for 2004-2005
SWOL

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:34 pm

GUY
SWOL

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:55 pm

EVEN IF.....DID RICK NOT SAY HE WOULD RETIRE IF HE WAS TRADED.....IF YOU READ MY OTHER POST....."EXPIRING AND RETIRING CONTRACT ARE LIKE GOLD".....MAYBE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND....YOUR ROASTING THE WRONG CAT....GUY
SWOL

Postby zetaw00d on Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:20 pm

team option for 2004-2005

Where did you get that info? Team option!! I have 2 source that say its not a team option!!!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_3473.shtml
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm
zetaw00d

Postby Guest on Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:47 am

do you read??????????????????he will retire............that would clear salary cap space to sign free agents

swolswol

Postby SWOL on Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:03 am

ANYWAYS.....MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY OF THAT CRAP...IS SHAQ RUNNING AND DOING PUSH AWAYS (push his big [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] away from the table) AND REDEDICATING HIS SELF TO THA GAME........SHAQ GETS ANY BIGGER HE'LL LOOK LIKE OLIVER MILLER...............SHAQ THEY'RE PAYING YOU 21 MIL.....PLEASE DOMINATE LIKE YOUR SUPPOSED TO!!!!!!!
SWOL

Postby zetaw00d on Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:47 am

swolswol wrote:team option for 2004-2005

I guess your full of [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]!! Please dont [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] real laker fans!!! You still show no proof!!!
zetaw00d

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion