Lakers add Bernie Bickerstaff as an Assistant Coach

Lakers add Bernie Bickerstaff as an Assistant Coach

Postby The Rock on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:56 pm

This I absolutely love.

He had some trash Charlotte Bobcats teams but they always played hard for him. Good move.

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2012/08/16/eddie-jordan-bernie-bickerstaff-set-to-join-mike-browns-lakers-coaching-staff/73857/

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Lakers soon to hire Eddie Jordan and Bernie Bickerstaff as new assistant coaches on Mike Brown's staff

I wonder what Kuester is gonna be here for?

Clifford has worked with Dwight
Chuck Person helped with Kobe's shot/control Ron
Eddie Jordan for Princeton offense
Darvin Ham helps out with the bench and big men. He helped Andrew a lot last year in getting his balance together, will help Dwight now

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Lakers add Bernie Bickerstaff as an Assistant Coach

Postby revgen on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Great. Mike now knows that he has plenty of assistants with HC experience to step in if he's not getting the job done.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:04 pm

lessen mike browns role even more? bring it on!
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby khmrP on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm

whats he's good at?
khmrP

Postby lotus on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:22 pm

They are prepping for Brown's potential exit next year if he blows it this year.

Keuster should be let go, unless he's going to do the 4th quarter interviews formerly provided by Quin Synder.
Last edited by lotus on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lotus

Postby John3:16 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Quite a coaching staff. Love this hire.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:54 pm

khmrP wrote:whats he's good at?

reducing any coaching responsibilities potato head has left
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:08 pm

The Rock wrote:This I absolutely love.

He had some trash Charlotte Bobcats teams but they always played hard for him. Good move.

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2012/08/16/eddie-jordan-bernie-bickerstaff-set-to-join-mike-browns-lakers-coaching-staff/73857/

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Lakers soon to hire Eddie Jordan and Bernie Bickerstaff as new assistant coaches on Mike Brown's staff

Clifford has worked with Dwight
Chuck Person helped with Kobe's shot/control Ron
Eddie Jordan for Princeton offense
Darvin Ham helps out with the bench and big men. He helped Andrew a lot last year in getting his balance together, will help Dwight now

^^ Real Nice Staff right there
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Clifford, Person, Jordan, Ham, Bickerstaff, and Brown? That's a pretty damn good squad for coaches.

Hopefully all Brown is in charge of is watching the stats and keeping track of box scores. The team can handle the rotations by themselves and the assistant coaches can handle the offense/defense.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:53 pm

I really don't understand the hate for Mike Brown, he's really not that bad.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Clevername on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:I really don't understand the hate for Mike Brown, he's really not that bad.

Last year his rotations and offensive sets were horrendous. Most of us had some grace because of the shortened season and stuff but it was still really really bad.
Clevername

Postby John3:16 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:I really don't understand the hate for Mike Brown, he's really not that bad.

Defensively, I'm with you. And that was with limited practices.

Offensively, he proved to be inept. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of the aforementioned lack of practice time. But based on his time in Cleveland, I'm not confident.

He really needs to leave the offense up to the assistants and Nash/Kobe.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Not bad if you like the Iso offense and the ball scratcher rotations
Last edited by D.B. Cooper on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.B. Cooper

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Brown ran our stars ragged, in the play-offs they virtually had noodle legs. Great coaches like Pop and Pjax manage their stars' minutes, and even don't play them for a few games to rest for the more important goal, winning the play-offs.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Too many voices can be a bad thing.. Come game time we need to have 1 clear leader that the guys buy in to & follow.
lakersin4

Postby Herm24 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:08 pm

He's really not that bad ... It's just ... It's just .. It's just he's really not that good
Herm24

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Too many voices can be a bad thing.. Come game time we need to have 1 clear leader that the guys buy in to & follow.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 pm

John3:16 wrote:

Defensively, I'm with you. And that was with limited practices.

Offensively, he proved to be inept. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of the aforementioned lack of practice time. But based on his time in Cleveland, I'm not confident.

He really needs to leave the offense up to the assistants and Nash/Kobe.

This.

His "offense" was a bad joke. It was terrible. I'll be happy to never see another team run an "offense" like that ever again.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Herm24 wrote:He's really not that bad ... It's just ... It's just .. It's just he's really not that good

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 pm

I made a joke in the Clifford thread, saying I hope we add another assistant coach to make Brown even less relevant on this team...and it happened :jsm:

Bickerstaff is a great hire. Brings experience out the wazoo. Has a good understanding of the game, of his personnel (he's been a GM, president, and a VP before on various teams), and knows how to manage players. As a head coach, he was a good player's coach. He's 33rd among head coaches with total wins -- 414. He's taken 3 different teams to the playoffs -- Sonics (3x 87-89), Nuggets (95), and Bullets (97). I think that playoff run he took Washington on was probably his single best coaching job, they were 22-25 when he took over, and they went 22-13 under him before facing a Bulls team they had zero chance of beating in the playoffs.

Brown owes him a job since he got Brown into the league. In fact, that's the only bone I have to pick with Bernie. Shouldn't have hired Potato Head as an intern.

And in keeping with the tradition...here's to hoping we add another assistant (Bernie's son's an assistant :man1:). The more the merrier. The fewer responsibilities Brown has this season, the better off the team will be.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 pm

Here's what those 97 Bullets had to say about Bickerstaff, giving you a look into what kind of coach he is...

| Jerry Bembry of the Baltimore Sun wrote:The first half of the season is a distant blur for Washington Bullets forward Harvey Grant. Asked about the mood of a team that at the All-Star break was three games under .500, Grant's eyes nearly rolled in the back of his head.

"Oh, man," Grant began, with a big sigh. "We were playing hard, but I don't think we were playing to win. Basically, we were out there going through the motions.

"People were in a daze, and the morale was way down," Grant added. "It was the All-Star break, and everybody was just playing the season out. [General manager] Wes Unseld had to make a move. And the move he made was the right move."

That right move was the hiring of Bernie Bickerstaff, who was named Feb. 10 to replace the fired Jim Lynam and assume control of a shattered team.

And while Rod Strickland, Chris Webber and Juwan Howard have provided the play on the court over the second half of the season, it's the direction provided by Bickerstaff that has enabled the franchise to make the playoffs for the first time since 1988, finish 44-38 for its best record since 1979 and realize a return on the investment for a team whose payroll ($34 million) is the fourth largest in the league.

"I have a great impression of him," said Webber, who withheld judgment at the time of the coaching change because his friend, Jalen Rose, had had problems with Bickerstaff when both were at Denver.

"He's been a calm leader who has always demanded respect, always demanded our attention. He came in with an attitude of `we're supposed to win.' And that's been the main difference since the middle part of the season."

The course of the season has provided an amazing turnaround for Bickerstaff. At the start he was considered a lame-duck general manager with the Denver Nuggets, likely to be be fired at season's end. Bickerstaff was blamed for not signing Dikembe Mutombo during the off-season, and failing to do so has been blamed for the demise of that franchise.

When Unseld came calling just before the All-Star break, Bickerstaff was eager to talk about possibly returning to coach a team he had served as an assistant for 12 years. When his hiring was announced, the move was perceived as Bickerstaff being taken care of by an old friend.

"I think that was ludicrous," said Bickerstaff, a light drawl from his boyhood days in Benham, Ky., still evident. "You don't hire friends, if you don't think they can get it done."

Bickerstaff, who once turned down an offer to play for the Harlem Globetrotters so that he could coach, had no idea what he would be able to get done when he took over in midseason the most disappointing team in basketball. One thing he knew was he had talent, which is what made the job attractive.

"I had no expectations, but what I wanted to do was come in and define roles," Bickerstaff said. "Unfortunately, for this ball team, these guys didn't have the opportunity to be brought along slowly. They were just thrown in, and the expectations were high right away for a lot of reasons."

Bickerstaff was no-nonsense from the start. During his first news conference, he challenged the players to back up their talk and show they were "the real deal." Within an hour, at the start of his first practice, he told the players flat out that they were out of shape. Then he ran them to the point of exhaustion.

"He said that we were out of shape, so we knew right away it was going to be one of those practices," forward Tracy Murray said. "If you're any type of a player at all, you don't take that personally, you take it as a challenge. You go out, bust your butt, and you show him."

A coach coming in and exercising his authority right away is often risky, especially in this age of high-salaried players whose dissatisfaction often makes coaches expendable. But Bickerstaff had to be straightforward in his attempt to reach this team.

"There's no difference in relating to players from before and players today -- I just think you have to be honest," said Bickerstaff, who was 29 when he was an assistant to K. C. Jones with the Bullets. "And if guys can't take honesty, there's not much to them anyway as a human being."

He told the team that talent alone was not good enough to win and that the players would have to emphasize defense. He called the team "selfish," when the Bullets lost to the Philadelphia 76ers -- a label that didn't sit well with several players. When the Bullets beat the Boston Celtics on April 6, he called the defense "atrocious."

Even last week, when asked whether he thought of getting Strickland back into a game so he could establish a career high in scoring, Bickerstaff said, "I'm not into individual scoring. Besides, that just gives him something to shoot for next time."

Said guard Tim Legler: "He's a guy that never allows us to get content. With Bernie we don't get too high after wins, and we don't get too low after losses. He's very good at the task at hand. I think we felt before that we had so much talent, that everything would just fall into place. He's made us realize there's so much more to that in this league."

Legler said he thought that the team still could have made a serious run at the playoffs if a coaching change had not occurred.

Grant disagrees.

"No, no, we would have probably been 10 games under .500 and not even thinking about the playoffs," Grant said. "With all respect to Jimmy, if Bernie had been here at the beginning of the season we would have 50, 55 wins. Easy. We wouldn't have gone into the final day, fighting for a playoff spot."

Strickland agrees.

"I think we were going backward, we weren't going anywhere," he said. "Bernie knows how to deal with players and he knows how to treat us as men, while at the same time getting his point across. The most important thing is he lets us know when we are wrong. Before he came we were just running around, not knowing what was going on."

Now, as the Bullets prepare for Friday night's playoff opener against the Chicago Bulls, it's up to Bickerstaff to challenge his players to believe they can win against the defending NBA champions.

"We're moving on to a different level, a different level of intensity," Bickerstaff said. "I have all the respect for the Chicago Bulls, our team has all the respect for the Chicago Bulls because of what they have done. But we fought hard to get here. So we're not afraid."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:10 am

Knowing how the Lakers coast and get complacent (looking at you Pau) its good to have another no-nonsense policy guy.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:20 am

Looks like insurance policy after Brown is fired ten games into the season
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby purp n gold on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:36 am

Eddie Jordan and Bernie Bickerstaff aren't your average interim coaches... :man10:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 am

No they're not, they're replacements in waiting..
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion