Lakers after 30 games: Pros and Cons

Lakers after 30 games: Pros and Cons

Postby CarFlagChris on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:12 am

Pros:
1. Breakout of Swaggy P (on both sides of the ball)
2. Team chemistry (after last year's Dwightmare)
3. The play of the guards (except Nash)
4. The development of Robert Sacre

Cons:
1. Inability to win the close ones: for December: Phx 114 LA 108; Utah 105 LA 103 & Portland 114 LA 108
2. Jordan Hill is not being used efficiently.
3. Chris Kaman is barely being used at all, despite the preseason chemistry between he and Gasol.
4. Inadequate rebounding.
5. Gasol's inconsistency and his failure to embrace a role as the team leader.
6. Lack of pick-n-roll compared to 3s.
7. Relative lack of transition points.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Re: Lakers after 30 games: Pros and Cons

Postby snackdaddy on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:49 am

The roster consists of mostly nobodies and it shows. They never intended to compete this season. They're putting all their eggs in next year's basket. Hope it works out.
snackdaddy

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 am

Pro :

- We are playing hard unlike the NY teams

Con :

- Injuries

We are right where we should be with the current talent available .

Before the start of this season , I said we will have a 04-05 ish or 05-06 ish depending on the injuries ... looks like 04-05 so far
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:07 am

Pros: The return of Jordan Farmar who has improved, the signing of X Henry who looks like a keeper, Swaggy's breakout although I'm not sure we can/will keep him next year - depends on the price tag, the return of Jordan Hill who also looks like a keeper to me.

Cons: The injuries are just killing us. The only saving grace in that respect is if there is going to be a year where a bad record can be a positive, it's this year. As I've said, I'm totally anti-tanking, but we are going to the lottery this year it looks like regardless, and in this particular offseason, that's a better thing than a one and done first round appearance.

Another huge Con to me is that Mike D' Antoni is still here. He's already shown me that he's not an elite coach, but I knew that when he got hired. I'm not saying he should be fired now because there's no point in that. But I would love it if he were canned before next season. I don't see his one way coaching taking any team to the Finals in the near future. Not that we have the personnel to get there yet. But he doesn't help in any way and for me as a fan, the quicker we cut ties with him the better. Can't stand the fact that he's our coach. We used to make fun of this guy. And for good reason. We need a NEW direction as we head into a new roster next year. This D' Antoni ball is not going to take us anywhere.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:18 am

Lakerjones wrote:
Another huge Con to me is that Mike D' Antoni is still here. He's already shown me that he's not an elite coach, but I knew that when he got hired. I'm not saying he should be fired now because there's no point in that. But I would love it if he were canned before next season. I don't see his one way coaching taking any team to the Finals in the near future. Not that we have the personnel to get there yet. But he doesn't help in any way and for me as a fan, the quicker we cut ties with him the better. Can't stand the fact that he's our coach. We used to make fun of this guy. And for good reason. We need a NEW direction as we head into a new roster next year. This D' Antoni ball is not going to take us anywhere.

Team is no longer playing hard - going 0-14 to one of the worst teams in the NBA.
D'Dummy refuses to play Jordan Hill, our only offensive rebounder.
After starting him, he sees the floor for less than 10 minutes.
How many more losses before he is fired?
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:15 am

pros:
absolutely nothing

cons:
dan tony is still coach
injuries
dan tony is still coach
432J

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:31 am

pros:

they're not disappointing, because I had no expectations
Jordan hill has improved, imo, and the lakers own his bird rights, I believe

cons:

pretty much everything else, but the major con I've noticed lately is that if one of your pros involves development of young players, you should probably move it to con, because the lakers don't have any sort of rights to any of these players. thus, anyone who plays well can't be retained AFTER the lakers go after better veterans. in other words, unless you're interested in bringing back the same team at a much higher cost, you're not looking at many, if any, long-term lakers right now. this has made it hard for me to get into the games this year. there's no identity going forward, which, in fairness, was by design. but another year of this, and they'll lose chunks of the fanbase. the one-year deals are not good for organizations, imo. the mavs learned their lesson last year; hopefully the lakers won't go into asset rollover mode with the cap space.
abeer3

Return to Lakers Discussion