If Lakers Are For Sale, Larry Ellison Would Be Interested

If Lakers Are For Sale, Larry Ellison Would Be Interested

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:34 am

Ellison also said he would be interested in buying the Los Angeles Lakers if long-time owner Jerry Buss were ever to sell one of the National Basketball Association's most successful franchises. Buss has given no indication that he is ready to relinquish control of the Lakers, though Anschutz Entertainment Group recently announced plans to sell its minority stake in the team.

Ellison called the Lakers his favorite NBA team. He also said he is a fan of the Golden State Warriors and the Chicago Bulls. He tried to buy the Warriors in 2010 only to be outbid by Silicon Valley venture capitalist Joe Lacob and Hollywood movie producer Peter Guber.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/oracle-ce ... 58262.html
Kobe8Fan

Re: If Lakers Are For Sale, Larry Ellison Would Be Interested

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:36 am

Buss is like the Jerry Jones of the NBA except he's not a damn idiot. He's never selling the team. When he dies Jim will take over.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby LakerFANwithaBRAIN on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 am

Larry...go FURK yourself!!!
LakerFANwithaBRAIN

Postby Alcindor on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:45 am

Yeah Buss just got a 3 billion (rumored to be more) tv deal. He's dying to offload this stinker Larry :bang:
Alcindor

Postby John3:16 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:58 am

Alcindor wrote:Yeah Buss just got a 3 billion (rumored to be more) tv deal. He's dying to offload this stinker Larry :bang:

$5 Billion. $200 million per year / 25 year deal.

Jeanie and Phil need to hurry and have some kids to take over........ or adopt me.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1980 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:09 am

The Lakers will not be sold!
WE PAY CASH FOR HOUSES
424-216-8525
LakerFan1980

Postby kray28 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 am

Actually Ellison's bid for the Warriors was higher than Lacob's. Lacob won anyway.

I don't think Ellison would be a bad owner, but there are forces in the NBA that don't want him to own a team. I am not sure what the reason is.

I don't see the Buss family giving up majority interest though.
kray28

Postby kray28 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Buss is like the Jerry Jones of the NBA except he's not a damn idiot. He's never selling the team. When he dies Jim will take over.

That's an awkward and very odd comparison. Why even bother making it? Jones has literally zilch in common with ODB.
kray28

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 am

Ellison has very deep pockets. But I don't like him, looks like a playboy to me.

He is probably most interested in the glamor and Laker girls. Buss was a player too but he proved time and time again that winning comes first in his priority list.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Lakeshow24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:30 am

Pass.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:10 am

I'll go ahead and say no. I have the utmost faith in the Buss family after this summer (always Doc, but not necessarily the Kid). We don't need a new owner right now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 am

buy the Clippers instead and move them back to Buffalo
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby easyguy on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:09 am

We could sell him a piece of the Lakers...In the years ahead I see the Lakers paying a lot of luxury taxes, so more money is always welcome.
easyguy

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:38 am

easyguy wrote:We could sell him a piece of the Lakers...In the years ahead I see the Lakers paying a lot of luxury taxes, so more money is always welcome.

Ellison has more than 40 billion on his bank account...so unlimited cash supply in theory.

The question to me is how commited he is to winning...Buss has proven himself and quite frankly, we would do Jimmy a disservice if we want another owner. He has done everything anybody could have wished for and then some more.

Right now the Mitch, Jim combination has been solid. They have had tough decisions to make...Paul trade, how to handle the Lamar, Pau situation, how to handle the Bynum situation and a lot of other issues.

Ellison just doesn't seem to be a die hard Laker fan or else you wouldn't want to buy the GS Warriors...he wants a toy probably, he has the cash. And for that, I don't think its a welcomed from from a fan perspective.

With all the luxery tax, he would probably ship everyone out to save (earn) money with the Lakers.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:00 am

^the guy has 40 billion dollars...why would he need a credit? its way more likely the bank needs a credit from him.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 am

pound4pound1 wrote:buy the Clippers instead and move them back to Buffalo

Or San Diego. Or Anaheim. Or San Jose. TAKE YOU PICK
The Laker Link

Postby kray28 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:43 am

You mean Boston.
kray28

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:50 am

kray28 wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Buss is like the Jerry Jones of the NBA except he's not a damn idiot. He's never selling the team. When he dies Jim will take over.

That's an awkward and very odd comparison. Why even bother making it? Jones has literally zilch in common with ODB.

Read what I said. Just like Jones will NEVER sell his team neither with Buss.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 pm

kray28 wrote:

You mean Boston.

anywhere outside California
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't see that happening. Not the Buss family's portion. Not any time soon.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby easyguy on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:55 pm

KB24 wrote:
easyguy wrote:We could sell him a piece of the Lakers...In the years ahead I see the Lakers paying a lot of luxury taxes, so more money is always welcome.

Ellison has more than 40 billion on his bank account...so unlimited cash supply in theory.

The question to me is how commited he is to winning...Buss has proven himself and quite frankly, we would do Jimmy a disservice if we want another owner. He has done everything anybody could have wished for and then some more.

Right now the Mitch, Jim combination has been solid. They have had tough decisions to make...Paul trade, how to handle the Lamar, Pau situation, how to handle the Bynum situation and a lot of other issues.

Ellison just doesn't seem to be a die hard Laker fan or else you wouldn't want to buy the GS Warriors...he wants a toy probably, he has the cash. And for that, I don't think its a welcomed from from a fan perspective.

With all the luxery tax, he would probably ship everyone out to save (earn) money with the Lakers.

Well we are all speculating here, this guy is not young anymore, who knows, he might die and leave all of his 40 BILLIONS to the Lakers organization. :jam2:
easyguy

Postby venky on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 pm

kray28 wrote:

Exactly. There is literally nothing in common between the two.
venky

Postby jlkr on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
KB24 wrote:^the guy has 40 billion dollars...why would he need a credit? its way more likely the bank needs a credit from him.

Well he has 40 billion, but how much of it is tied up in assets and stock that he owns? I'll post the lil excerpt I had read, but the rest of it is pretty interesting too.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49264581

Now we know why Larry Ellison needs $4 billion in loans and credit.

The Oracle CEO revealed the mystery behind the $4.2 billion worth of stock that he pledged as collateral for loans and credit lines, in an exclusive interview today with Maria Bartiromo on "Closing Bell."

He doesn’t owe $4 billion, he said. He doesn’t even owe $1 billion. The stock was for a multi-billion-dollar credit line that he could use if he “went shopping.”

“I’ve got a line of credit just in case I go shopping and something catches my eye,” he said.

What could catch his eye that could cost billions?

“Well, if I wanted to buy the Los Angeles Lakers,” he said. “I could go buy the Los Angeles Lakers.”

He conceded that the Lakers aren’t for sale. He said buying the team “is a very expensive way to get floor seats.” But the Lakers “are my favorite team.”

Perhaps Ellison is building his financial powder for a possible bid for Anschutz Entertainment Group, which owns stakes in the Lakers and the Los Angeles Kings as well as several other arenas and teams. The Anschutz company recently announced it was exploring a sale of Anschutz Entertainment Group.

It's typical of most very wealthy people to have the vast majority of their wealth tied up in stocks, bonds, hedge funds, real estate or other assets. Just because Ellison is worth $40b does not mean that he's got that kind of cash sitting around. We call him worth $40b because that's the estimated market value of all his holdings. But it might be a different story if he had to dump those assets on the markets all at once. I would be surprised if he had more than $10m of immediately available cash on hand. Basically enough to take care of his bills. Remember he'll have income from various sources to replenish that on a constant basis. Remember also that a lot of his bills, like his private jet for example are paid from his businesses.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Alcindor on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:13 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
kray28 wrote:

You mean Boston.

anywhere outside California

San Diego would be fine. When Buss told Sterling to buy the team all those years ago that's where Buss suggested Sterling move it. He repayed Buss by moving right into LA and as Phil always said, has been eating off Buss' plate ever since. Scum.
Alcindor

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:24 pm

If he wanted to buy AEG, that's fine, but I like the Buss family in charge right now. He can have the minority ownership in AEG so we can have some deeper pockets though, that'd be nice.

Although I'm not sure if he's a fan or a casual fan. I don't like his face.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion