Lakers Defense - Fixable?

Re: Lakers Defense - Fixable?

Postby MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Borri -

assists to turnover ratio and transition hoops are big factor because of what's happening on the offensive end. Of course we are at the bottom of the league when we turn overt the ball at the clip we do and give up transition looks at the pace we do. Transition hoops are generally points in the paint too so there is your triple wammy.......

if anything that shows there is a problem with the offense just as much as the point you are trying to convey.....

Really is there a stat for their defense IF they get set? that would be interesting to me? once the defense is back and set what are the %s........ too me transition hoops is more on your offense than the defense itself..... it tells me you turnover the ball a lot and are a jump shooting team that gives up rebounding without a good floor balance........ and what are we? exactly that!

edit ... just noticed it was Opp assist turnover ratio you mention...... that's fine but I still contest our real issues lie on the other end with too many transition looks and turnovers. Our average at best half court D just doesn't help the situation.
Last edited by MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby borri on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:43 pm

MC wrote:Borri -
Really is there a stat for their defense IF they get set? that would be interesting to me? once the defense is back and set what are the %s........ too me transition hoops is more on your offense than the defense itself..... it tells me you turnover the ball a lot and are a jump shooting team that gives up rebounding without a good floor balance........ and what are we? exactly that!

The ast/to ratio I posted is for the opp and not us. Teams are getting averaging almost 1.8 ast per 1TO. That's really high.

Yeah man, I was trying to find stats for that. Couldn't. It would have been great to see it and compare it to the ones I listed. Would have shown a much clearer picture of our defensive woes.

It sickens me because if we don't fix this crap soon, this season is over in less than a month.
borri

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:it's fixable but we dont have the coaching staff to fix it

To me it's the fact that the head coach just isn't interested in it. I don't even know who is in charge of the D on the staff. But D' Antoni continues to talk about the D only in regards to the O and not as it's own issue.

But even when talking about the offense, it's a conundrum because his whole offensive scheme and philosophy run counter to common wisdom about D. We're going uptempo with an old squad. We're shooting tons of threes by design. When we miss those are long rebounds that lead to fast breaks in transition. We're not focusing on the post. We're not going with the percentages. The whole thing seems completely unsound from a defensive point of view.

Meanwhile, as Revgen has pointed out, even when we're funneling the PG's (who are killing us lately - CP3, Lawson), no one helps the helper. And last game I felt that even Dwight's help D wasn't on par in the lane.

We've got issues. And I don't see the defense being a priority with D' Antoni. I think it's kind of a recipe for disaster. We literally can't make stops lately. We seem to always be playing from behind and can't contain the other teams.

no argument here, LJ...it's like defense is just an afterthought for MDA...clanking FTs, committing TOs, those will happen...not playing D, that's the most frustrating part about watching these games

its moreso a team getting cold than us locking down when we go on runs...its sad to watch
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 pm

To quote Kobe... "We're Old as F@*#!!!"
LakerFanIam

Postby MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm

borri wrote:
MC wrote:Borri -

The ast/to ratio I posted is for the opp and not us. Teams are getting averaging almost 1.8 ast per 1TO. That's really high.

Yeah man, I was trying to find stats for that. Couldn't. It would have been great to see it and compare it to the ones I listed. Would have shown a much clearer picture of our defensive woes.

It sickens me because if we don't fix this crap soon, this season is over in less than a month.

I agree ...........

I'm not sure the month will matter though........ unless our coach has this amazing zen moment and realizes he has to adjust himself, not the rotations so much.

Both Brown this year and now MDA have the same issue that was never fixed.... turnovers and transition defense........ that just compounds this team's issues and it's defense is nowhere near close to good enough to compensating for it.

I had more faith in Brown because of the Princeton than I do with MDA and his up the pace, spread the floor fixes all philosophy.
Last edited by MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MC

Postby borri on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:26 pm

None of this matter anymore with the D12 injury. We'll be lit up like a christmas tree.
borri

Postby MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:30 pm

borri wrote:None of this matter anymore with the D12 injury. We'll be lit up like a christmas tree.

maybe.....

probably....

small outside chance they get Gasol somehow revived now?

most likely their only hope
MC

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:32 pm

^ Gasol is out.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Gasol is out.

Both Howard and Gasol? or just Gasol?
MC

Postby borri on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:34 pm

MC wrote:

D12, Gasol AND Hill are all out. Would you believe that?
borri

Postby MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:36 pm

borri wrote:
MC wrote:

D12, Gasol AND Hill are all out. Would you believe that?

:man4: :man4: :man4: :man4:

lol

figures

that is the 2012-13 Laker season in a nut shell

worse part is MDA probably loves it........ never wants bigs out there anyway lmfao.....

and the really F'ed up art is MDA might be the perfect coach for this situation lmfao...... wow.
MC

Postby davriver290 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:40 pm

the age excuse has run its course.... Is age a concern? It can be, but Nash, Kobe (Pau not so sure of) are in great shape. Better than some of the younger ones in the league. The problem is defensive planning. Teams are adapting the running style game with better defensive schemes.. That's just it. We need a defensive plan.... things seem, jumbled.

Kobe and Metta seem to roam.... a lot. Kobe leaves his man open a lot and sometimes even loses him.. (I know he needs to conserve energy, but he's gotta have some accountability on D) Metta plays some damn good defense, the problem is other players come in and help unnecessarily causing a foul and or leaving a man open. Thus creating this snowball effect that puts us in deeper holes.

We need to play our guys straight up. If they pass the perimeter up, have dwight as the blocker and rotate accordingly... (Standard D... not hard at all) If the PNR is an issue, make up a certain zone that negates the PNR... We lose some rebounding position, but we have Dwight.. Gasol... Jordan Hill and even Jamison who are pretty good rebounders... I really wish someone can make a compilation video of the lakers defensive mistakes and point em out. Everyone messes up... a lot. And I hate it for Dwight, cause he can't be the sole person to do everything. Everyone has limitations..
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion