Lakers Defense - Fixable?

Lakers Defense - Fixable?

Postby borri on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:40 pm

I think it's about time to devote a new topic about our piss poor defense.

How the hell can we improve this thing?

Forgot the stat but DEN had around 60 pts in the paint. 60. Over half of there buckets were easy ones. I think the major problem is our perimeter defense. Opponent guards and forwards are getting into the paint at will. Is this our philosophy? To funnel everything to D12? I freaking hope not because it clearly isn't working.
Last edited by borri on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borri

Re: Lakers Defense

Postby The Rock on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 pm

The Lakers shot a better % from the field, had more rebounds, and hit more free throws than the Nuggets. Still lost.

UGH

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Balance&Options24 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:44 pm

We were decent last year, what the hell happened?
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 pm

De..fense? That's my impression of Mike 'Antoni. How do we fix it, stop turning the damn ball over so much for one. Other than that yes too much reliance on Dwight, Nash is indeed old and slow there, Kobe roams, Pau is a ghost or a wuss, I'm not sure of the solution.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 pm

borri wrote:How the hell can we improve this thing?

1) Energy. Energy. Energy.

2) Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.

3) Accountability. Accountability. Accountability.

Number 1 is being hampered because we're old. Number 2 is a problem since we've focused so much on offense in training camp with the Princeton. Then D'Antoni comes over and trying implement his offense. Defense isn't being practiced, habits aren't being hammered in through repetition. Number 3 is because we have too many "nice guys" who don't hold each other accountable and a head coach who is clueless about who screwed up the rotation.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Re: Lakers Defense - Fixable?

Postby abeer3 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 pm

i typed a longer response, but the short version is personnel. i know it doesn't sound insightful, but outside of howard, the lakers are slow. teams capitalize on that, both by getting in transition and by penetrating and dishing, forcing guys to move their feet.

yes, a coach that cared about that end would help, but for all mike brown is (or isn't), he could coach d. and he couldn't make this team into a top defense, either.
abeer3

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Is the Middle East fixable?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby nickvanexel on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:55 pm

I don't think it's all his fault, but I would begin fixing this D by replacing John Ratzenberger as head coach.
nickvanexel

Postby khmrP on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm

revgen wrote:
borri wrote:How the hell can we improve this thing?

1) Energy. Energy. Energy.

2) Repetition. Repetition. Repetition.

3) Accountability. Accountability. Accountability.

Number 1 is being hampered because we're old. Number 2 is a problem since we've focused so much on offense in training camp with the Princeton. Then D'Antoni comes over and trying implement his offense. Defense isn't being practiced, habits aren't being hammered in through repetition. Number 3 is because we have too many "nice guys" who don't hold each other accountable and a head coach who is clueless about who screwed up the rotation.

so basic short answer is NO, its not fixable :man10:
Last edited by khmrP on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby JGC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Has nothing to do with having too many nice guys.

I think the fact we have no chemistry is a big part, because these guys never talk on defense. I see guys with no idea that someone is coming around the back to poke the ball away... why aren't they talking?
JGC

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 pm

First off, stop running the wrong system. The more we push and try to jack up shots, the more we play into the youth and athleticism of younger teams. The front office screwed up by hiring Datoni.

Second, as long as we have Kobe and Nash as our starting backcourt, we will always have issues. And while Metta is still a good defender, he can't run the floor for squat to get back.

It'a just all wrong. The system doesn't even give our d a chance and i can't believe the system we are running when we should be a half court, slow the game down team and feature our bigs.
Last edited by Lets Go Lakers on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm

dj vitus wrote:Is the Middle East fixable?

More fixable than our team at this point.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Armani on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:09 pm

I don't think we have the personnel. We need more quality defenders. Dwight at 80% won't be enough. MDA isn't going to coach D, so we need players that are already good defenders, and will D it up no matter what.
Armani

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 pm

if we fix dribble penetration, 80% of our defensive issues go away or are erased by dwight.

dwight doesnt get it ridiculous foul trouble, kobe doesn't always have to cheat. rotations don't need as many moving parts, etc.
Pig Miller

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

I mean this isn't rocket science. We have an old and slow team with great bigs. Common sense dictates you slow the game down to limit the opportunities for opponents to run on us. Save our legs and dictate our size on opponenets. But what do we do? I mean i almost swear if this is the twilight zone. Our system doesn't evengive our guys a chance. They have to play great ball just to be in games because the opposition is getting so many easy points while we have to grind to get ours because we struggle to manufacture easy baskets due to our lack of athleticism.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby JGC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Pig Miller wrote:if we fix dribble penetration, 80% of our defensive issues go away or are erased by dwight.

dwight doesnt get it ridiculous foul trouble, kobe doesn't always have to cheat. rotations don't need as many moving parts, etc.

Yeah but if we prevent the other team from scoring at all, 100% of our issues go away.
JGC

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

To put it simple, no.
JLaker17

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm

JGC wrote:
Pig Miller wrote:if we fix dribble penetration, 80% of our defensive issues go away or are erased by dwight.

Yeah but if we prevent the other team from scoring at all, 100% of our issues go away.

not really sure what you're trying to say, but we're just too slow no the perimeter. we don't limit penetration at all. bigs have to go too far out, then get lost trying to get back.
Pig Miller

Postby DHL on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm

no
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby khmrP on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm

they weren't even capable of doing that several years ago, why would they be able to do it now at an older age and even more slower?
khmrP

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:28 pm

^well it's going to require new parts.

it also might require less possessions for the other team, either by slowing the game down, or not giving up as many O-reb as they have is some of these games.
Pig Miller

Postby JGC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Pig Miller wrote:
JGC wrote:

not really sure what you're trying to say, but we're just too slow no the perimeter. we don't limit penetration at all. bigs have to go too far out, then get lost trying to get back.

Well, it would be impossible to prevent the other team from scoring at all. Well, not impossible, but almost. Preventing dribble penetration would be near impossible also. First, we might have the worst defensive backcourt in the league right now, and second, our team hates each other.

Not much of a recipe for defensive success.
JGC

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:34 pm

^i'm not saying eliminate it, not sure why you want to make that assumption that I was referring to the team stopping all opponents offense.

but okay, assume away if that's what you want.
Pig Miller

Postby JGC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Pig Miller wrote:^i'm not saying eliminate it, not sure why you want to make that assumption that I was referring to the team stopping all opponents offense.

but okay, assume away if that's what you want.

No, I wasn't. I was just saying expecting this team to prevent any sort of dribble penetration is expecting way, way too much.
JGC

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Balance&Options24 wrote:We were decent last year, what the hell happened?

My guess is primarily the coach and system. Brown stressed d but he also gave our d a chance for success by slowing the game down and limiting opportunities for teams to run on us.
Lets Go Lakers

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion