Lakers draft blunder discussion : Patrick Beverly

Re: Lakers draft blunder discussion : Patrick Beverly

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Center Court wrote:Our brass is horrible at drafting and rounding out a bench. A at trades, A at player retention, D+ at free agency, D at drafting.

It seems like when Phil was here, we were exceptionally good at it but this summer we tried so hard to save money that we let players go we should have kept and over the past few years, we traded away picks/didn't buy picks when we had the chance.

I don't know if we're horrible at drafting I mean we have obviously missed on some guys but all teams have done that. I mean we drafted Bynum and we drafted the rights of Marc Gasol in the 2nd Round. Are we great no, but definitely not horrible.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Horrible is reserved for teams like Charlotte. THAT is horrible drafting.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:Horrible is reserved for teams like Charlotte. THAT is horrible drafting.

Charlotte is beyond horrible..

What I do think, is that compared to San Antonio, who's been in relatively the same position as us for the past decade, they seem to draft far better.

That said, drafting is drafting. Win some, lose some.

My big bone is the ability to identify the "other guys" who can help a team. Guy's like K Mart, Nate Rob, Birdman, trading for Dorrell Wright, Matt Barnes, CJ Watson, re-signing Sessions.

I understand that money was an issue this time around, but another $10 million and I think we'd be a drastically different team.

This free agent class is loaded with guys who can turn a good team great. Guys who can be a monster bench. Clearly we need a starting SF and a dynamic backup PG, but we also need put shooters all over.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Another 10 million means we have a payroll over 110 million dollars and a luxury tax probably close to 100 million itself. For a team that, even with those players, is maybe pushing the 2nd round right now.

Money is an issue at some point.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion