Lakers Draft Predictions

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 18, 2003 1:09 pm

I just want the Lakers to have a player that can contribute to a large degree in the triangle. I know that Phil doesn't expect a lot from rookies, but that has to change. We need somebody that can contribute right away, since I'm still having doubts with Rush. Hopefully, I'm wrong with Kareem.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun May 18, 2003 3:46 pm

I think Kareem rush sucks and Mitch made a mistake in drafting him.
He looked scared out there while Pargo was at least looking fearless.
Rush does not have any ball handling skills and he is listed at 6'7" but he looks more like 6'4" or 6'5". I definitely see him being packaged off for a trade along with someone else. I agree with Phil Jacksons theory of big guards. We should go big why should we match up with the BIBBY's and I think Kareem rush sucks and Mitch made a mistake in drafting him.
He looked scared out there while Pargo was at least looking fearless.
Rush does not have any ball handling skills and he is listed at 6'7" but he looks more like 6'4" or 6'5". I definitely see him being packaged off for a trade along with someone else. I agree with Phil Jacksons theory of big guards. We should go big why should we match up with the BIBBY's and Nashes when they should match up with us. If they get another big guard (6'7" and up) body we can post up their smaller guards. Sometimes the best defense of smaller guards in a better offense (meaning: punish them in the low blocks).

Besides the Lakers obvious needs (all positions other that Shaq's and Kobe's) I think they need to be able to run with opposing teams. They need to get quick fast. I like this guy from Missip St. Troy Outlaw. Its says he's like Darius Miles. He's a legit 6'9" and can jump through the roof. He's lanky but really athletic. We need youth, speed, and a whole lot of athleticism in this team. (Shawn Marion would be real nice)
I would trade my first round pick along with RUSH and Walker to move up in the draft ( this frees up Walkers fat contract). Then obtain PJ Brown via free agency with Walkers money. Then, sign PAYTON for the minimum. I have a feeling the SPURS are going to get JASON KIDD so we need to at least shore up our Point Gaurd spot.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun May 18, 2003 3:53 pm

Horry wants to go home to Houston so package him to houston and get Maurice Taylor for him. They make about the same amount of money. I know their young team could use some playoff experience. Thank you Robert Horry it was fun while it lasted... but Astalavista.

I hope JERRY BUSS is not going to get cheap on us. I heard somewhere that there was NO REASON that Our Laker Team shouldn't win 5 to 8 titles in a row because we have SHAQ and KOBE at their prime. It wasn't the Management's fault that we didn't get those two help in making sure they had the SUPPORTING cast to assure the dynasty. It was ownership. How many countless free agents came and gone that would of helped our cause. Shareef Adul Rahim would of help along with Jason Terry. How about in the summer when Jimmy Jackson was willing to come to L.A. but we couldn't match the SAC offer. Mr Buss has been a great owner but in the league of Multi Billionaire Corporations where money is no object the Lakers will have a difficult time being competitive in the free agency market.

A nice draft pick along with PJ Brown, maybe Maurice Talyor, and the GLOVE as a start would look nice next year.

Thank you KOBE for giving it your all .... unlike Shaq who came in to camp overweight again. hmmm I wonder how fat will he get in the summer. I don't know if I'm staring a Stanley Roberts or Shaq. I'm still a Shaq fan but I really don't see any desire in his game. I hope he's not settling for 3 rings because Kobe surely is HUNGRY for more.
Last edited by #1_Kobe_fan on Sun May 18, 2003 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 18, 2003 3:57 pm

Welcome to the site kobe_fan,

I agree that a P.J Brown and glove piick up is an early Christmas gift for all of us. With those 2, we can fill up 2 basic needs that we need to fill.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun May 18, 2003 8:40 pm

the Lakers should package RUSH and number 24th pick to Seattles 14th pick. With the 14th pick pick up Travis Outlaw
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/travisoutlaw.htm a Darius Miles player who stands at 6'9"
Then with the 32nd pick up Darius Rice
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/dariusrice.htm a Glen Rice type player who stands at 6'10"
These two autmatically gives the lakers SPEED, ATHLETICISM, QUICKNESS and above all else YOUTH. KOBE needs some running mates.
And with the release of "so sorry WALKER" they can pull off Gilbert Arenas another thoroughbred. The LAKERS will be able to PLAY with the BIG BOYS or RUN with the best of them.
This is assuming they get PJ Brown and Maurice Taylor (via Horry Trade)
The Glove (35) would be nice but thats only for a couple years. Gilbert is (20) and will play along side KOBE and George for years to come.

:man9:

KOBE the real MVP :jam2:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby GoldenEye on Mon May 19, 2003 4:13 am

#1_Kobe_fan wrote:the Lakers should package RUSH and number 24th pick to Seattles 14th pick. With the 14th pick pick up Travis Outlaw
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/travisoutlaw.htm a Darius Miles player who stands at 6'9"
Then with the 32nd pick up Darius Rice
http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/dariusrice.htm a Glen Rice type player who stands at 6'10"
These two autmatically gives the lakers SPEED, ATHLETICISM, QUICKNESS and above all else YOUTH. KOBE needs some running mates.
And with the release of "so sorry WALKER" they can pull off Gilbert Arenas another thoroughbred. The LAKERS will be able to PLAY with the BIG BOYS or RUN with the best of them.
This is assuming they get PJ Brown and Maurice Taylor (via Horry Trade)
The Glove (35) would be nice but thats only for a couple years. Gilbert is (20) and will play along side KOBE and George for years to come.

:man9:

KOBE the real MVP :jam2:

And how the hell do you sign Arenas ? :man7:
Dynasty is not over, Lakers dynasty has begun!
GoldenEye

Postby ZenMaster on Mon May 19, 2003 6:23 am

Welcome to the site #1_Kobe_Fan.

I agree with you about Shaq...I have been wondering about his desire and devotion to the greater cause off and on for awhile. Now I am starting to wonder if Jerry Buss really should offer him an extension?... :man3:

As far as the draft, I am not so sure about Darius Rice, he cannot create his own shot and that has been one of our primary problems for years, no one other than Kobe can create off the dribble. They all need someone to get them the ball, even our own 'point guard' (Fisher). Very few of our players are truly 'athletic' either, and Rice doesn't seem to solve that. Now, Outlaw is no question athletic, problem is he is very lacking in other fundamentals, needs to bulk up big-time and probably won't be ready for true NBA play for awhile. I feel we should look elsewhere.
ZenMaster

Postby ZenMaster on Mon May 19, 2003 6:42 am

Also, I don't think we should consider Maurice Taylor...he is not a good rebounder, esp. offensively, never has been...which is VERY disappointing considering his size (6-9, 260)...he has averaged only 4.9 rebounds a game for his career!!! We need someone who is not afraid to crash the boards and 'get their hands dirty'. I like P.J. Brown. He isn't perfect, and he is 33 years old, but this past year he averaged 9 rebounds a game and has averaged almost 8 for his career, in just a few minutes per game more than Taylor. He is NOT afraid to mix it up. He also ranked 4th in the NBA in field goal percentage. If we can't get him, Juwan Howard is a solid possibility...he didn't average as many rpg as Brown but still does better overall than Taylor, has more scoring ability than him or Brown, and is only 30 years old...get either him or Brown as the starter, and someone else as a backup, but NOT Taylor.
ZenMaster

Draft

Postby duckdada on Mon May 19, 2003 8:56 am

I say the Lakers should draft Marcus Banks from UNLV, or Marcus Hatten from St.Johns, these guys are cat quick and can penetrate on anybody.
duckdada

Postby Danny Ainge on Tue May 20, 2003 6:58 pm

Ya your right, LA is pretty wek at the SF spot. If Mitch is willing to take a chance in the second round, I like Charlie Villanueva, he is the third best player coming out of High School and has mad skillz.

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/charlievillanueva.htm
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 25, 2003 12:04 pm

Charlie has all the talent in the world, the rap on him is that he doesn't have the determination and the want to use that talent to the best of its abilities. I heard he is lazy, and just uses his great talent to get by. He needs a mean streak in him. If he only has 1/8 of the determination Kobe has, then he will be good.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun May 25, 2003 6:09 pm

yea... sort of like ELDEN CAMPBELL... imagine if he came to play with at least SHAQ's intensity?....... wow, we wouldn't even be worried about looking for a PF or back up Center!!!!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby ZenMaster on Mon May 26, 2003 3:51 am

I was originally for staying put in the draft and not trying to "move up", but after much thinking I say perhaps we should package Rush and our 24th pick to do just that, and then with our new pick, grab Nick Collison...I personally don't think he'll last until #24 (despite what some "experts" say).

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/nickcollison.htm

Yeah, he looks goofy but so what...no worries about a lazy work ethic here. He is EXACTLY what we need at the PF spot and is a true team player.

Then with our #32 pick, draft a REAL shooter/swingman, someone who is fearless and has skills on both offense AND defense....
ZenMaster

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon May 26, 2003 11:10 pm

I have one question.... we have MADSEN already why would we get that NICK guy.... they are the same type of player and HEIGHT!!!

Is he a better dancer or something?
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Seawell on Tue May 27, 2003 2:04 am

Here's a quote from espn.com about Nick Collison:

He's no Mark Madsen. That's a good thing.

:man10: Nick is what we hope Madsen will develop into. The thing that separates them is that Nick is a scorer and has good range on his jumpshot. He is a tenacious competitor and rebounder like Mad Dog. Mad Dog is still probably the better dancer though :man10: :jam2:
Seawell

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue May 27, 2003 2:16 am

Well lets hope that MADSEN is a better dancer.

I still think we should go for someone more of an athlete. Webber,DUNCRAP,GARNETT and WALLACE all run the floor extremely well. Those guys usually are at the recieving end of a FAST BREAK!! We need someone who can run with them for at least 30 minutes. I was looking for someone with HORRY's built. 6'10"ish who can run/defend. I think drafting a superior athlete will allow him to evolve into a better defensive player as oppose to a inferior athlete. This of course doesn't include ones desire to excel and self motivation. However, if the tools are there then, the better chance to succeed.
#1_Kobe_fan

jason kapono

Postby self made on Wed May 28, 2003 4:47 pm

im sure the lakeshow is gonna draft a few big men but what about pickin up someone like jason kapono in the free agency market if he is not drafted. i mean he is from ucla and im sure all of you l.a resiedents know he has game. someone like kapono would fit the picture because the lakers need another sf for the injured fox. kapono could come off the bench and very well be effective. why dont you guys let me know what you think of kapono's chances of playin ina purple and gold uni next season???
self made

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Wed May 28, 2003 6:55 pm

I remember KAPONO and his game. He was pretty good but I think he lacked quickess and over athleticism to make it in the NBA. I also remember the Charles and ED O'bannons. I thought those two would make it. Aren't they playing overseas now? Yea, what happened to that program? They haven't really produced anyone special since BARON DAVIS. Am I forgeting a Bruin Alum that recently made a name for himself in the NBA? Recent as in the the last four years?
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed May 28, 2003 8:17 pm

Unlike Madsen Collison showed great poise in the Olympic games last summer. However, it seems unlikely that Collison will slip to the 24th spot. In response to the comments on Villanueva concerning his dedication goes, I got one thing to say: Get a copy of the 2003 McDonalds All-American Game. Clearly the best player on the court (aside from LeBron) was Charlie. If he plays half as well in that game next season for LA, there is no doubt in my mind we will be riding shotgun for another Lakers championship run.
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri May 30, 2003 8:45 pm

Here is what I would do if I were in charge of the Lakers draft. I would choose Travis Outlaw @ #24, Travis Hansen @ #32 and, if he is still available, sign (as an undrafted rookie free agent) Darius Rice. That way we are guaranteed to get more mid court contributor and 2 of the three are athletic and defensively talented while the other is a raw but offensively talented project...
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:49 am

that sounds like a good idea SNAKELL, I like those choices....
I hope that we sign better players this year for the training camp. For the last couple years the talent level of free agents we signed for the summer was very poor. The best we came up with was SOMALIA SAMAKI... what a joke.

*note to MITCH... stay away from names with SAMAKI in it... hehehe* j/k

Its either we need better scouts to do some recruiting or we need more of them. I couldn't believe that we failed to find an adequate big man for the last 3 years!!! Your telling me that from all the thousands playing ball from college to the european ranks .... that we didn't locate somebody that can back-up SHAQ!!!!! for at least 10-15 minutes!!!!! is that much to ask?..... come' on MITCH ... in the words of DUECE BIGGALO... " you can do it!!!!!"....

KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

draft

Postby swolswol on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:57 am

[We should draft Dhante Jones (he is a Corey Maggette clone) with the 24th pick and in the second round take a PF project like Mario Austin or Tommy Smith of ASU.... We should always draft the best avalible athletes not the garbage we have been drafting lately[/i]
swolswol

Postby Guest on Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:50 pm

i disagree. Dahntay Jones is a secound round player, and has no true position. Duke players have a history of not doing well in the NBA.

:

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:47 pm

where is a good site that gives a report or description of the draft candidates?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Danny Ainge on Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:13 pm

Not true guest the Dukies though injury plagued have still made positive contridutions to the NBA. Sure you have your Avery's, Langdon's, Ferry's. But lets not forget E-Brand, Maggette, and ofcourse Shane Battier.
Danny Ainge

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion