Lakers Draft Predictions

Lakers Draft Predictions

Postby clublakers on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:08 am

It's that time of the year. Call your shot now for the Laker's draft selection. Keep in mind that I haven't heard any one correctly predict the Laker's pick since... uhh... Magic.

I'll take Luke Rindour via a trade in picks and personnel: http://nbadraft.net/profiles/lukeridnour.htm
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:19 pm

CL,

ALL I WANT IS A JOHN PAXSON OR STEVE KERR TYPE OF GUARD!!!
SOMEONE THAT CAN CONSISTENTLY MAKE JUMPERS, PLAY DEFENSE, AND SHOT FREE THROWS.

ALSO BEING A GOOD CITIZEN AND HAVING A NICE ATTITUDE IS A PLUS.

FIND ME THAT PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, AND IT'S AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT FOR ME THIS YEAR!!!!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby FirstLady on Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:03 pm

When is draft day, anyway?
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:33 pm

Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 wrote:CL,

ALL I WANT IS A JOHN PAXSON OR STEVE KERR TYPE OF GUARD!!!
SOMEONE THAT CAN CONSISTENTLY MAKE JUMPERS, PLAY DEFENSE, AND SHOT FREE THROWS.

ALSO BEING A GOOD CITIZEN AND HAVING A NICE ATTITUDE IS A PLUS.

FIND ME THAT PLAYER IN THE DRAFT, AND IT'S AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT FOR ME THIS YEAR!!!!!!

I think that's askin for too much. There really aren't that many guards like that in this era. Then players had all around game, but I'm not downin the few that we have now. We'll prolly end up gettin rid of the draft picks we end up gettin n e way :bang:
LakersGyrl2003

PG

Postby Drew on Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:55 pm

There are alot of great players excpected to go second round that the lakers could use. Marcus Banks is an awesome athlete/scorer. Troy Bell, Marcus Hatten. I also like Carl English, this guy is an awesome shooter and scorer. He is a 2gaurd but frequntly played PG. Check them out at nbadraft.net
DRU
Drew

Postby jgeagle33 on Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:38 pm

I really like Jerome Beasley 6' 10 245 from north dakota
good post player and has good three point range ( he shot .458 from the arc while shooting 33-72 three pointers). he averaged 26.6 pts 8.9rbs and for those who will say the level of competition was not high for him, as a junior he played against drew gooden and collison and scored 20pts &10 boards. in the second round I like darius rice 6'10 205 sf
who has good three range and long arms or charlie villanueva or travis law.
lakersdodgersraiders
jgeagle33

Postby clublakers on Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:57 pm

When is draft day, anyway?

June 25th. I posted it under Events (right side of site template) so we wouldn't forget.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby ZenMaster on Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:59 am

Hey guys, anyone know how many draft picks we have this year?
One for each round, I hope (1st and 2nd).....
please tell me we didn't trade any of 'em away in a past deal :man6:
ZenMaster

Postby Guest on Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:41 pm

From the Clublakers Daily News today:

The Lakers will select 24th in the June 26 draft, based on a tiebreaker drawing conducted by league officials to separate the Lakers, Portland and Detroit; all three teams finished the season 50-32. Portland won the drawing and will select 23rd. ... The Lakers also have the third pick in the second round, the 32nd overall, as a result of swapping spots with Toronto.

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:53 pm

If its the case that we have the 24th and 32nd pick in the draft, then we can packaged both and move up the draft. Possibly inside the top 15. If we add a young player into the mix, like a Kareem Rush along we the 24th and the 32nd picks, we can possibly trade up to the top 10. Maybe higher!!!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby BDG on Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:39 pm

just in case u wanted it, yall can check out the full (probable) draft order here: http://www.nba.com/news/tiebreaker_030428.html
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:20 pm

With the 24th and the 32nd picks in the draft, we don't need 2 good/OK players. We can trade both and get 1 possible future all-star in the top 10 picks. Remember, that we don't need more players since Karl Malone, Pippen, Payton, and even more free agents want to play for the Lakers next year. So, getting depth via draft is not a need. Getting a very good one player in the draft is a must. So Mitch don't mess this up.

Also, getting a player that is meant to play with Kobe is important. Since, Shaq is getting old, all players drafted now and in the future should be fitted for Kobe. This will be Kobe's team later on, and getting a Scottie Pippen type player is not bad. I know that Devean George could be Pippen, but lets try to get one in the draft.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby LakerPride on Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:10 am

I'm with CL in hoping we trade up and get Luke. I'd love to see the second coming of Steve Nash combined with John Stockton in purple and gold. I also think the Lakers have enough to get him. We have the 24th pick and the 32nd pick. If we throw in Slava (although I like Slava) we just might be able to get it done.

However if we can't trade up, I say the lake show goes with Leandrinho Barbosa.

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/leandrobarbosa.htm

nbadraft.net has him as the second coming of Gilbert Arenas. hoopshype.com has him as a more athletically gifted Tony Parker. He's definately a project, but his upside is through the roof.
-LakerPride
LakerPride

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:40 am

Trade up and get either Luke or Dwayne Wade. That's a possibilty.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Guest on Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:08 pm

If we keep our current picks then I say use the second round pick on either Brian Cook from Illinois or Marquis Estill from Kentucky.

Postby Seawell on Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:22 pm

If we're gonna trade up then I say we should take a close look at Nick Collison. He just got invited to play for the Olympic team :patriot: this summer so he will definitely have some great NBA level experience coming into the league. This guy is like Mad Dog with skills :shaq:
Seawell

Postby Seawell on Sat May 03, 2003 3:09 am

Just read that Josh Powell of N.C. State has entered his name into the draft. We should give this guy a good look. I live in North Carolina so I've seen him play a lot. He is very athletic and a strong finisher. He would definitely need to improve on the defensive end but I think he could develop into a good player.
Seawell

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 04, 2003 11:07 am

Josh Powell, I never heard of him. Do you have more info on him?????

Seawell, how tall is he and his weight, what position do you think he will be if the Lakers draft him?????
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Seawell on Sun May 04, 2003 8:34 pm

Josh Powell is 6-9, 230.

Regular Season numbers:
12.0 pts
5.2 reb
1.3 blk
1.0 ast
.569 FG%
.731 FT%
.348 3P%

The interesting thing though is that he came on strong at the end of the year and averaged 19.3 pts during the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Here's the scouting report from espn.com:
"Multi-talented big forward with skills to spare and room to grow ... Never stops moving on offense, he doesn't get discouraged if he doesn't see the rock every trip down the floor ... An in-and-out jump shot ... Fantastic in finishing off his penetrations, making decisions on the fly but never getting caught in the air ... Owns an incredible wingspan and a good touch, making him a threat to score over the top in traffic ... Sometimes gets his hands on rebounds that he should have no chance at ... Not much post defense, and though he has put on weight, his thin frame just invites to be taken advantage of ... A great weak-side shot blocker ... Will get caught not running the floor ... Still a work in progress."

I wouldn't use our 1st round pick on him but if he slips into the second round he might not be a bad pick.
Seawell

Postby whats golden on Tue May 06, 2003 5:46 am

I don't know who to draft, but with Rick Fox out we need to draft a SF. Any thoughts?

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby Seawell on Tue May 06, 2003 10:26 pm

Well now that we will need a SF we should definitely look at Kyle Korver from Creighton. This guy was considered by most to be the best shooter in all of college b'ball last season. Here's the scoop:

Kyle Korver
6' 7"
210 lbs.

Season Averages:
YR
PTS
RBS
AST

Scouting Report:
A possible second round pick in the upcoming NBA draft ... An honorable mention All-American last season ... An outstanding shooter, converting with incredible accuracy from 3-point range ... Has great size off the wing, he usually has a height advantage over his defender, giving him better looks at the basket ... Not a great athlete, but good enough to create his own shot from mid-range ... A prolific scorer from that area on the floor, he moves extremely well without the ball to gain himself looks ... Quick off the catch and shoot, he sets himself before he even has the ball in his hands, so he may go right into his shot ... Is not going to get depth in his penetrations ... Solid rebounder ... Puts points on the board in a hurry ... As a senior, had nine 3's in 22 minutes for a total of 31 points vs. Evansville ... Had 32 points and eight treys against Xavier.
Seawell

Postby ZenMaster on Wed May 07, 2003 6:31 am

Both Josh and Kyle sound great...seeing as how we will have one pick in the later stages of the first round (24th pick), and another pick at the beginning of the second round (32nd spot), hopefully we can grab one of these guys...
ZenMaster

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 17, 2003 12:27 am

NO NO NO NO NO...

Not big enough, he is a smaller version of Kareem Rush who averages FEWER PPG. We would be better off adding Adrian Griffin or another SF from Free Agency.
Snakell Beast

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun May 18, 2003 11:19 am

Dwayne Wade is a good choice. He is athletic, strong, and plays defense. He posted a triple double during March Madness. He can get his own shot.
But he's a top 10 pick and I'm not sure if the Lakers can move up to the top 10 via trade.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun May 18, 2003 1:03 pm

There are 30-40 guys in this draft (deep as has been described) who can come in and start within their first few seasons...so teams will HAVE TO leave us some young, big and fast plus talented (probably raw though, but since Slava is raw and he is good, the theory is sound) players, we just have to find the ones that will be good.
Snakell Beast

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion