Lakers fear Dwight Howard will do the Unthinkable

Re: Lakers fear Dwight Howard will do the Unthinkable

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:
The Rock wrote:All he needs to do is look at Bynum, look at what he passed up on and where he is? Nobody is gonna pay him the max this upcoming summer. Does Howard want to get into a situation like that?

Plenty of teams will pay him the max if given the chance. Take off your Laker glasses.

Dwight never wanted to be here and the team is a mess. Why would he stay?

Name the teams that will pay him the maximum that have greater chances of winning and greater chances of making more money.

Name 3. I dare you.

More money? Maybe not. We could debate, but that's a complex conversation that assumes salary cap numbers we dont have yet (because teams can still move people).

As for better chance of winning?? Last I checked we were 12th in the west and still would be out of PO's in the east, so I'd say there's a MINIMUM of 16 teams that have a better chance of winning than we do.

How many of them can give him a maximum contact?

And of course there's no one out there that can offer him the maximum contract that we can, which is the difference of 20 million dollars.

There's not 3 teams that can offer him a better chance of success both now and in the future that can also offer him the amount of money LA can.

I'm still waiting.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:
The Rock wrote:All he needs to do is look at Bynum, look at what he passed up on and where he is? Nobody is gonna pay him the max this upcoming summer. Does Howard want to get into a situation like that?

Plenty of teams will pay him the max if given the chance. Take off your Laker glasses.

Name the teams that will pay him the maximum that have greater chances of winning and greater chances of making more money.

Name 3. I dare you.

Rockets, Mavs and Nets. All 3 teams have better records than the Lakers and they will gladly pay him the max. He won't make more money, but being happy and winning >>> money.

Lakers are a mess. Roster is old and slow, coach sucks and management can't hire a good coach to save their life. You don't think Dwight knows this?

Dwight from the start didn't want to be here and now its turned into a disaster. No way in hell he stays.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:25 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:Rockets, Mavs and Nets. All 3 teams have better records than the Lakers and they will gladly pay him the max.

The Mavs do not give him a better chance of winning now and in the future. The Rockets do not give him a better chance now and in the future.

Neither of those teams have Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash on them and neither of those teams are as well set as the Lakers to rebuild around Dwight in 2 years.

The Nets can't give him the max.

Keep trying.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:

Name 3. I dare you.

More money? Maybe not. We could debate, but that's a complex conversation that assumes salary cap numbers we dont have yet (because teams can still move people).

As for better chance of winning?? Last I checked we were 12th in the west and still would be out of PO's in the east, so I'd say there's a MINIMUM of 16 teams that have a better chance of winning than we do.

How many of them can give him a maximum contact?

And of course there's no one out there that can offer him the maximum contract that we can, which is the difference of 20 million dollars.

There's not 3 teams that can offer him a better chance of success both now and in the future that can also offer him the amount of money LA can.

I'm still waiting.

Not everything is about money. 80 million and being happy vs 100 million and being in a terrible situation. Most folks will take the 80 and be happy.

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:How many of them can give him a maximum contact?

I'm still waiting.

I never told you I'd give you three. Yes, we PROBABLY can give him more money than anyone else. Thats it.

If winning is even remotely close to being something that he cares about, the results of this season present a much stronger argument than I ever could about where we stand as compared to other teams right now.

You're all over this thread telling people that they dont have the information to know if he's leaving or not so I think it's a little silly to talk about chances of winning just based on your own opinion of what MIGHT happen.
phoenixrisingla

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
therealdeal wrote:How many of them can give him a maximum contact?

I'm still waiting.

I never told you I'd give you three. Yes, we PROBABLY can give him more money than anyone else. Thats it.

If winning is even remotely close to being something that he cares about, the results of this season present a much stronger argument than I ever could about where we stand as compared to other teams right now.

You're all over this thread telling people that they dont have the information to know if he's leaving or not so I think it's a little silly to talk about chances of winning just based on your own opinion of what MIGHT happen.

Not probably, certainly. Under the CBA we can offer the most money.

If winning was something he remotely cared about, he wouldn't be pouting the way he is. Winning isn't as important as having fun and when you're losing you're not having fun. In my opinion, that's the problem.

I'm all over this thread? I said it once as a joke because niether poster has any real information and they're making blanket statements about what's going to happen. And how is it silly to assume that other places have a greater chance of success than we do or any less for that matter? Heck Dallas? That team is literally as bad as we are with even LESS chance of bettering themselves. The Nets have to go through Miami every season. And Houston is still FAR from being a contender. Consider the amount of money he stands to lose by going there, and of course it makes more sense to stay in LA.

Besides I'm not saying he either will or he won't stay. All I'm saying is that there's still a GREAT argument for staying.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:Rockets, Mavs and Nets. All 3 teams have better records than the Lakers and they will gladly pay him the max.

The Mavs do not give him a better chance of winning now and in the future. The Rockets do not give him a better chance now and in the future.

Neither of those teams have Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash on them and neither of those teams are as well set as the Lakers to rebuild around Dwight in 2 years.

Keep trying.

Disagree on Mavs and Rockets. Mavs have better coaching, and that roster isn't much worse than the one that won the title. It's missing their Tyson Chandler... and Dwight can be just that.

Rockets have a great future, undoubtedly. Harden's a young superstar. Lin, Parsons, Patterson... all solid starters, none are old.

Lakers have dinosaur Nash and Kobe. I don't see how we're clearly more attractive than Rockets or Mavs.
Armani

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Keep trying.

:man10: :man10:

The Mavs have a better record than the Lakers! They have a bunch cap space for this upcoming summer where they can sign multiple players and easily rebuild around Dirk and Dwight.

Rockets have James Harden, Jeremy Lin and Asik and they also have a better record than the Lakers.

Nets can give him the max if they trade for him before the trade deadline.

The Lakers have Kobe and Nash and were are they now? Yeah, 7 games under .500. Kobe and Nash are already falling apart. They aren't going to get younger.

Lakers aren't a good situation to be in. Look at the coach, who is running the team and look at the RECORD.

What world are you living in? Dwight is playing with Nash and Kobe and where are they? 7 games under.500. It clearly isn't working.

lakers_09tv

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Armani wrote:
Disagree on Mavs and Rockets. Mavs have better coaching, and that roster isn't much worse than the one that won the title. It's missing their Tyson Chandler... and Dwight can be just that.

Rockets have a great future, undoubtedly. Harden's a young superstar. Lin, Parsons, Patterson... all solid starters, none are old.

Lakers have dinosaur Nash and Kobe. I don't see how we're clearly more attractive than Rockets or Mavs.

It's also missing Jason Kidd. The Mavs are in the same exact place we are, but we all KNOW this team can be better than it is AS CONSTRUCTED. Do we know the same thing about the Mavs? What about the future of the Mavs? Their pedigree doesn't give me the greatest confidence that they'll build a winner. At the very least I have more faith in the Busses than their joke of an owner.

The Rockets have an alright future. They're a better team than we are, but not much more talented. Harden is great. Lin is okay and Patterson isn't doing anything anymore. He's losing minutes to one of the Morris brothers for goodness sake. I should know, I had that idiot on my fantasy team.

If you can't see the above points it's because you're sad the Lakers aren't what they should be. You're assuming the worst instead of looking at the reality.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Armani wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Keep trying.

I know. He has his Laker glasses on. My money is on Dwight leaving for the Rockets.

lakers_09tv

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm

therealdeal wrote:Not probably, certainly. Under the CBA we can offer the most money.

If winning was something he remotely cared about, he wouldn't be pouting the way he is. Winning isn't as important as having fun and when you're losing you're not having fun. In my opinion, that's the problem.

I'm all over this thread? I said it once as a joke because niether poster has any real information and they're making blanket statements about what's going to happen. And how is it silly to assume that other places have a greater chance of success than we do or any less for that matter? Heck Dallas? That team is literally as bad as we are with even LESS chance of bettering themselves. The Nets have to go through Miami every season. And Houston is still FAR from being a contender. Consider the amount of money he stands to lose by going there, and of course it makes more sense to stay in LA.

Besides I'm not saying he either will or he won't stay. All I'm saying is that there's still a GREAT argument for staying.

I think thats fair, as long as you're only attempt is to describe one side of the decision. I personally disagree with you about our relative opportunity to win vs. those other teams.

If we agree this year is toast, then essentially what Dwight is looking at is 20mil more to be part of a Rebuilding roster during the peak years of his career.

My opinion, based on that and some other intangibles, lead me to lean towards not staying. Thats all anyone was saying.
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Ludachris on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:39 pm

I honestly don't see how Dwight would want to stay if they don't trade Pau before the trade deadline or before they get Dwight to sign a new contract. They don't play well together and Howard isn't going to want to share the post with him. He already has a hard enough time deferring to Kobe.

If he leaves $30m on the table to go somewhere else I'd be shocked. He knows the chances of being in a similar situation in Dallas next season are just as good given the uncertainty with their roster - wonder how Dwight will enjoy deferring to Dirk. Houston doesn't have the cap space anymore I don't think with the Asik signing, do they?

If he sticks around for another season in LA there will be a light at the end of the tunnel with all the upcoming cap space. He will own the town. He's got to know that.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:The Mavs have a better record than the Lakers! They have a bunch cap space for this upcoming summer where they can sign multiple players and easily rebuild around Dirk and Dwight.

By percentage points, genius. Big f***ing deal. Not to mention that like I pointed out, this is their CEILING this season. That's the BEST they can do. Do you really think this is the best the Lakers can do? This season or any other season?

And what's so attractive about Dirk Nowitski as the future running mate compared to Kobe Bryant or Steve Nash :man10: Same age and mileage with even less pedigree. Another volume shooting big that'll take attention away from him.

Your arguments are always paper thin and you resort to mocking instead of arguing like an adult. Nothing new here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:
Armani wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Keep trying.

I know. He has his Laker glasses on.

Keep insulting me, see how that goes for you.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:41 pm

If Dwight isn't ever going to be the Orlando Dwight again. I wouldn't mind losing him. Current Dwight won't lead you to a championship or the playoffs for that matter. It might be better to just start over from scratch.

lakers_09tv

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:42 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:I think thats fair, as long as you're only attempt is to describe one side of the decision. I personally disagree with you about our relative opportunity to win vs. those other teams.

If we agree this year is toast, then essentially what Dwight is looking at is 20mil more to be part of a Rebuilding roster during the peak years of his career.

My opinion, based on that and some other intangibles, lead me to lean towards not staying. Thats all anyone was saying.

No, there's a specific poster that keeps saying "he's leaving" and insinuating that anyone who disagrees is wrong.

I'm fine with being down right now, there's not a lot of reason for optimism at this moment, but to make blanket statements and to talk down other posters is something I won't stand for on this site as long as I'm around.

With that said, I'm a busy guy so I'll get back to you all later :man10:

Thanks for being respectful by the way. I like you and your style.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:Keep insulting me, see how that goes for you.

But you also took shots at me. :man3: But that's not being a hypocrite though right?

lakers_09tv

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:47 pm

if he wants to leave, you wait till end of the season and do sign and trade. Pau can also become more valuable trade piece and bam start rebuilding and retooling this upcoming summer and then deal with Kobe's giant expiring next season and go from there. There's only a few teams with legit cap space to sign him to their version of max and none of them are good location like Hou/Atl/Dall.
khmrP

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:50 pm

khmrP wrote:if he wants to leave, you wait till end of the season and do sign and trade. Pau can also become more valuable trade piece and bam start rebuilding and retooling this upcoming summer and then deal with Kobe's giant expiring next season and go from there. There's only a few teams with legit cap space to sign him to their version of max and none of them are good location like Hou/Atl/Dall.

You can't sign and trade with the new CBA. If Dwight leaves in the offseason we get nothing in return.

lakers_09tv

Postby Ludachris on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Armani wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Keep trying.

One thing the Lakers have that the other teams don't is that they have historically been able to reload quickly. Howard knows that LA is an attractive market for free agents and that the owners are willing to dip into the luxury tax to win. He knows that it won't be as difficult to lure another star or two to play along side him once Kobe's contract is up after next season as it might be elsewhere. Who knows what Dallas' roster will look like next season, or who they'll be able to sign along with Howard. A lot of unkowns there. I still remember hearing that Houston wouldn't be able to offer him a max deal now after their last deal.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:
khmrP wrote:if he wants to leave, you wait till end of the season and do sign and trade. Pau can also become more valuable trade piece and bam start rebuilding and retooling this upcoming summer and then deal with Kobe's giant expiring next season and go from there. There's only a few teams with legit cap space to sign him to their version of max and none of them are good location like Hou/Atl/Dall.

You can't sign and trade with the new CBA. If Dwight leaves in the offseason we get nothing in return.

yes you can, check your facts, its more restricted version but you CAN.
khmrP

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Ludachris wrote:
Armani wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Keep trying.

One thing the Lakers have that the other teams don't is that they have historically been able to reload quickly. Howard knows that LA is an attractive market for free agents and that the owners are willing to dip into the luxury tax to win. He knows that it won't be as difficult to lure another star or two to play along side him once Kobe's contract is up after next season as it might be elsewhere. Who knows what Dallas' roster will look like next season, or who they'll be able to sign along with Howard. A lot of unkowns there. I still remember hearing that Houston wouldn't be able to offer him a max deal now after their last deal.

I read that too, but I also heard that they can. Larry Coon would know for sure.

lakers_09tv

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

khmrP wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:

More restricted how?

lakers_09tv

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:

More restricted how?

well very restricted lol, I looked it up teams over the cap by 4mill can't receive players in a S&T. Right now LA is $24mill over (this was before the Nash trade too) BUT if you salary dump Pau, Blake, Duhon, Metta then maybe we could get within the S&T cap rule. Apparently that post I read states we would've still be 6mill over if Bynum left for nothing (this is before the Howard trade). So yes we pretty much have to clean house of all contracts outside of Kobe maybe Nash to be able to do a S&T with Howard.
khmrP

Postby lakers_09tv on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:02 pm

khmrP wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:You can't sign and trade with the new CBA. If Dwight leaves in the offseason we get nothing in return.

More restricted how?

well very restricted lol, I looked it up teams over the cap by 4mill can't receive players in a S&T. Right now LA is $24mill over BUT if you salary dump Pau, Blake, Duhon, Metta then maybe we could get within the S&T cap rule. Apparently that post I read states we would've still be 6mill over if Bynum left for nothing (this is before the Howard trade).

I found this article.
http://www.slcdunk.com/2013/1/11/3277218/why-the-utah-jazz-cannot-wait-to-sign-and-trade-millsap-or-jefferson

Yeah, it would be hard to preform a sign and trade under the new CBA.

lakers_09tv

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion