Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:32 am

Leandro Barbosa

Assuming the free agent can get on an NBA team, by the time the season starts in 2 1/2 months. And that's assuming you — ardent NBA fan reading an NBA blog in August — remember which team he played for last year. It was Indiana. Wait, is that right? Yes. Indiana.

He didn't play particularly well, shooting under 40 percent from the field despite making over 42 percent of his 3-pointers. Nail all the threes you want, but when you're an undersized shooting guard that doesn't get to the line much (despite all that potential for speed and chaos and hackzzz), those in-between shots have to fall. Players of Barbosa's ilk don't age well, all full of speed and nonsense and quick point guards that can switch over to guard them in a pinch. So for Leandro to make one last big splash before those 30s set in (and they will set in, following the 2012-13 season's first month), he'll have to make it soon.

Like, this year. And it starts with making shots.

Because there aren't a whole lot of other missteps in Barbosa's particular timeline. His turnovers haven't shot up. He never was a big assist man, and though his dimes have fallen off slightly, it hasn't truly affected his game (and once you account for pace and caliber of offensive-minded teammates to pass to, through the years, it's debatable as to whether or not Barbosa has fallen off much). It's all about the shooting, marks that have fallen from the mid-to-high 40s (remarkable for a guard of his size) overall to that 39.9 percent low in 2012-13.

He has to find a way to turn those long 2-pointers into short ones, and finish better on those short ones. When all you do is score, you have to find a way to score accurately enough to make up for your other shortcomings.

And a team. Gotta find a team, first.

The Lakers appeared to be interested last week, but we'd assume that Barbosa would have to work for the minimum in Los Angeles following the massive tax bill the team has taken on while it retains Pau Gasol after turning its trade exception into Steve Nash. Even the rumor mill, for a player that might be the best free agent out there, is quiet.

As Pro Basketball Talk's Kurt Helin pointed out, Barbosa is the classic case that we've seen every late summer since the 1995-era collective bargaining agreement was put together — a veteran holdout hoping for more than the minimum contract that he's probably better than, but cannot acquire due to the whims of the market.

Despite his faltering of late, Barbosa's play suggests he should make well over the minimum salary, but that's probably what he'll work for because the NBA's middle class remains (even after three subsequent CBA restructurings meant to aid that particular breed of player) hit and miss with what teams will give them.

In the meantime, the Brazilian Blur has to get his Blur back, as a means to add to a 3-point stroke that appears to come and go (Barbosa's career high from behind the arc came at age 23, his career low at age 28, and he nearly matched his career high again at age 29). And then he needs to remind us, one last time, why he was so much fun all those years ago in Phoenix.

If the video evidence above is any indication, it's still in him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... more-26179
Kobe8Fan

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:36 am

Could we use the TPE we received from Orlando to send to Indiana in a sign and trade? Maybe include Morris/Blake?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Could we use the TPE we received from Orlando to send to Indiana in a sign and trade? Maybe include Morris/Blake?

you can't combined tpe with players, also they have DJ Augustine as the backup PG, I think he's alot better/cheaper then Blake and Morris well, I dont know why the hell we gave him a contract so quickly.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:43 am

khmrP wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:Could we use the TPE we received from Orlando to send to Indiana in a sign and trade? Maybe include Morris/Blake?

you can't combined tpe with players, also they have DJ Augustine as the backup PG, I think he's alot better/cheaper then Blake and Morris well, I dont know why the hell we gave him a contract so quickly.

Well, like the Howard trade, Morris could be included separately, but as part of the same "package"
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LAKEROC on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 am

If a perfect world ever existed, we would get Leandro Barbosa and Kenyon Martin for minimum deals. Would be a huge asset to have both players.

If Mitch had some magic in that wand left that was beyond reality, I would love to see this pipe dream come to fruition: Chris Duhon/ Andrew Goudelock/ Robert Sacre/ other considerations for Klay Thompson/Harrison Barnes

Our lienup would look like this

Nash/Barbosa/ Blake
Bryant/Thompson/Meeks
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Gasol/Jamison/Martin
Howard/Hill

From worst bench in the league to the absolute best!!! We'd have no weaknesses at that point, if Mitch pulled off Barbosa and Martin for league minimum deals and was able to convince Golden State to give up Thompson and Barnes!
LAKEROC

Postby TIME on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:07 am

LAKEROC wrote:If a perfect world ever existed, we would get Leandro Barbosa and Kenyon Martin for minimum deals. Would be a huge asset to have both players.

If Mitch had some magic in that wand left that was beyond reality, I would love to see this pipe dream come to fruition: Chris Duhon/ Andrew Goudelock/ Robert Sacre/ other considerations for Klay Thompson/Harrison Barnes

Nash/Barbosa/ Blake
Bryant/Thompson/Meeks
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Gasol/Jamison/Martin
Howard/Hill

From worst bench in the league to the absolute best!!! We'd have no weaknesses at that point, if Mitch pulled off Barbosa and Martin for league minimum deals and was able to convince Golden State to give up Thompson and Barnes!

What?!? No Ricky Rubio or John Wall?
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:15 am

After reading that post for the 20th time...

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:28 am

I love Ricky Rubio and John Wall. But Thompson and Barnes, are cheap contracts with high production. Adding them to our bench, while solidifying the backcourt with Leandro Barbosa, almost puts the Lakers in a gtodlike territory! Hardly any glaring weaknesses if we pulled that off.
LAKEROC

Postby khmrP on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 am

LAKEROC wrote:I love Ricky Rubio and John Wall. But Thompson and Barnes, are cheap contracts with high production. Adding them to our bench, while solidifying the backcourt with Leandro Barbosa, almost puts the Lakers in a gtodlike territory! Hardly any glaring weaknesses if we pulled that off.

wonder if you have any understanding of values to other teams when considering your trade proposals? :man3:
khmrP

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 am

LAKEROC wrote:If a perfect world ever existed, we would get Leandro Barbosa and Kenyon Martin for minimum deals. Would be a huge asset to have both players.

Nash/Barbosa/ Blake
Bryant/Thompson/Meeks
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Gasol/Jamison/Martin
Howard/Hill

(Insert comment that would get me a warning or ban here)
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:44 am

lol yeah right...GS giving up Thompson? they traded Elis for a reason...

but i really dont care if we get Barbosa or not. would he play backup SG or SF? knowing mike brown Blake is th backup PG, so Meeks cant move over to that if Barbosa is backup SG. and Ebanks is the backup SF otherwise he wouldnt have signed with us. doubt we sign Barbosa.....our bench seems pretty much done but maybe something before the trade deadline during the season who knows
Ariza3

Postby karacha on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:48 am

LAKEROC wrote:I love Ricky Rubio and John Wall. But Thompson and Barnes... Adding them to our bench...

Man... uh... what in the world...

"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:53 am

LOL at the Beauty and the Beast picture. :man10:

Guys...does any read where I said PIPE DREAM!!! I never said Golden State would do it, I only suggested that if Mitch were to miraculously convince Golden State to do that, the Lakers would be about as unbeatable as a team can be on paper. That is all I said.

I totally agree, that Golden State would NEVER do that in a million years, but it solves all the remaining problems with the bench scoring.
LAKEROC

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:17 pm

LAKEROC wrote:LOL at the Beauty and the Beast picture. :man10:

Guys...does any read where I said PIPE DREAM!!! I never said Golden State would do it, I only suggested that if Mitch were to miraculously convince Golden State to do that, the Lakers would be about as unbeatable as a team can be on paper. That is all I said.

I totally agree, that Golden State would NEVER do that in a million years, but it solves all the remaining problems with the bench scoring.

Okay but so would getting LeBron from Miami but why is no one spamming that idea?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 pm

^

How about Metta+Duhon+Glock for Bron?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby TheOp on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 pm

I dont want Kenyon Martin, there is absolutely no need for him and he wont provide anything to this team. We already are set with our bigs rotation.

Barbosa would be a nice fit, if he can play backup point. Him and Meeks would be a dangerous combo. Imagine running a lineup like this

Barbosa
Meeks
Kobe
Jamison
Pau

Talk about floor spacing :man13:
TheOp

Postby khmrP on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:30 pm

karacha wrote:^

How about Metta+Duhon+Glock for Bron?

I like my idea better blake/Ebanks for Durant :man1: and have Durant come off the bench :jam2:
khmrP

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm

TIME wrote:

Nash/Barbosa/ Blake
Bryant/Thompson/Meeks
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Gasol/Jamison/Martin
Howard/Hill

aaaaaaaaahahahahahaha. Jerkassish but funny. :man10: :man10: :man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby TIME on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:53 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
TIME wrote:

Nash/Barbosa/ Blake
Bryant/Thompson/Meeks
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Gasol/Jamison/Martin
Howard/Hill

Jerkassish

Why, I oughtta... :man2:
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

TIME wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:
TIME wrote:

Nash/Barbosa/ Blake
Bryant/Thompson/Meeks
Artest/Barnes/Ebanks
Gasol/Jamison/Martin
Howard/Hill

Jerkassish

Why, I oughtta... :man2:

,,,but funny. :man12:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby TIME on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:02 pm

TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 pm

TIME wrote:Image

If it makes you feel better, you could always change a certain someone's name to Wall+Rubio as he's become somewhat of a meme himself around these parts.

:man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:11 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
TIME wrote:Image

If it makes you feel better, you could always change a certain someone's name to Wall+Rubio as he's become somewhat of a meme himself around these parts.

:man10:

RubiallOC
Savory Griddles

Postby Center Court on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:12 pm

If there was a way to dump Blake by now, I think it would have been done. Sadly, we are stuck with Blake unless some team comes calling for a vet PG.

Not that Barbosa is a PG, but he would have been a great back up 2. Meeks is the better shooter/defender and Barbosa is the better scorer/penetrator
Center Court

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:16 pm

I'd much rather see his minutes go to Meeks we've already got a solid 9/10 man rotation with Jamison, Ebanks, Meeks, Hill and even Blake competing for already scant minutes plus Barbosa is a volume scorer and will need consistent burn to get a steady rythym out there.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion