Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby borri on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Holy crap....a Danny Ainge citing. Some old arse CL'ers showing up. Where's Guru? LOL.
borri

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:05 pm

borri wrote:Holy crap....a Danny Ainge citing. Some old arse CL'ers showing up. Where's Guru? LOL.

And all it took was some mild interest in Leandro Barbosa. Who would have thunk?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:28 pm

I don't see the Lakers signing Barbosa with Meeks on board. Sure he could play back up point for us, but we're already crowded at that position with Nash, Blake, Duhon, Morris, and potentially Glock.
XXIV

Postby borri on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:
borri wrote:Holy crap....a Danny Ainge citing. Some old arse CL'ers showing up. Where's Guru? LOL.

And all it took was some mild interest in Leandro Barbosa. Who would have thunk?

LOL you'd think he'd show up in the D12 threads.....closet Barbosa fan maybe?....I keed. :man10:
borri

Postby Alcindor on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:52 pm

6:38 PM ET

Leandro Barbosa: "Among others, I'm talking with Phoenix, the Brooklyn Nets and the Los Angeles Lakers. Steve Nash even texted me because he wants me there." UOL Esporte

http://balanacesta.blogosfera.uol.com.b ... tar-a-nba/
Alcindor

Postby Barnstable on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Still looking at Barbosa?

Surprised, but it makes sense for depth if we don't care about keeping many rookies/2nd year players.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:57 pm

There as in LA or Phoenix?

I think he'd be a good guy to have on our roster. Good 3 point shooter. IDK since we already have Blake & Meeks to backup Nash & Kobe but who knows. Mike Brown will play Blake as backup PG and Meeks obviously has the backup spot for Kobe. So idk where Barbosa would play in but for vet min idc?

If we get rid of Blake somehow than put him as Nash's backup PG and were set! 18mpg range. 44% FG 38% 3PT 8PPG. 1 SPG. 1TOPG. is definitely doable for him with Meeks,Ebanks,Jaminson, & Hill playing with him in the 2nd unit. He doesn't play much defense so his role would be an offensive spark off the bench.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:22 pm

There's simply no sense in him coming here unless we move one or both of Duhon and Blake. I mean it'd be nice I suppose, but he's not really a PG and we've already got Meeks...

I don't know. Seems weird. Sounds like he was throwing names around.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:27 pm

I would love to see him sign here. He's not a great player by any means, but I would rather give him minutes than Odom, Goudelock, Blake, Duhon, or Morris.
Frank Dux

Postby khmrP on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm

therealdeal wrote:There's simply no sense in him coming here unless we move one or both of Duhon and Blake. I mean it'd be nice I suppose, but he's not really a PG and we've already got Meeks...

throwing names would've been a good idea earlier in the summer but at this point no contender has any money left to give him what he wants so I dont see how using Lakers as a name drop is gona get him any more then vet min. I'd argue he's as much a PG as Blake, neither does much that resemble PG play other then being able to dribble the ball up the court.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:42 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:There's simply no sense in him coming here unless we move one or both of Duhon and Blake. I mean it'd be nice I suppose, but he's not really a PG and we've already got Meeks...

throwing names would've been a good idea earlier in the summer but at this point no contender has any money left to give him what he wants so I dont see how using Lakers as a name drop is gona get him any more then vet min. I'd argue he's as much a PG as Blake, neither does much that resemble PG play other then being able to dribble the ball up the court.

Steve Blake is FAR more of a point guard than Barbosa. Barbosa has NEVER averaged more than 4.0 assists in a season (he matched it once in '07) while Blake's CAREER AVERAGE is 3.9 and he's topped 4 assists per game in 6 years of his 9 year career. HIs assist to turnover ratio is 2.8 for his career compared to Barbosa's 1.6 assists/turnover.

Barbosa last season had a 1.04 assist to turnover ratio, which is awful for a PG. Steve Blake had a 2.36 assist to turnover ratio.

The idea that Barbosa is an equal or better PG than Blake is preposterous. That's not to say that Barbosa wouldn't fit well with the team, I think he would. I think he might be better fit than Blake, but that's not clear. He's been fairly injury prone the last few years (the lockout being the only season since '08 in which he hasn't missed significant time (the least being 12 games in '09). His only positive over Blake for this team is that he's a better shooter.

Overall, I'd probably try to get rid of Blake and get Barbosa if I could, but that doesn't make him a better PG. Not by a long shot.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alcindor on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Part of the reason there's an assist difference between Blake and Barbosa is that Blake can't create his own shot. He has to get rid of the ball and when your opponent knows that's what you're gonna do it doesn't help.
Alcindor

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Alcindor wrote:Part of the reason there's an assist difference between Blake and Barbosa is that Blake can't create his own shot. He has to get rid of the ball and when your opponent knows that's what you're gonna do it doesn't help.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that Blake can't score on his own so he's forced to dole out assists? I'm not sure that makes sense.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:54 pm

if he's willing to come for vet min who cares if Duhon/Blake are still here.....better then wasting a spot on some 2nd rder who might or might not do much at all in this league. Although DJO might be some what of a costly mistake seeing as how they bought his pick for 500k.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 pm

khmrP wrote:if he's willing to come for vet min who cares if Duhon/Blake are still here.....better then wasting a spot on some 2nd rder who might or might not do much at all in this league. Although DJO might be some what of a costly mistake seeing as how they bought his pick for 500k.

I suppose so, but then what do you do with Blake? Just put him in a 4 million dollar suit for 2 years? I don't know. It's not my money, but I don't see that as likely.

I'd like it, but I still don't think it's likely. I think the Lakers spent their money on Jodie and they're going to roll with that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby darkice18 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:02 pm

Get it done Mitch!

Barbosa
Meeks
Ebanks
Jamison
Hill

Is better than the bobcats & rockets starters lol
darkice18

Postby khmrP on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:if he's willing to come for vet min who cares if Duhon/Blake are still here.....better then wasting a spot on some 2nd rder who might or might not do much at all in this league. Although DJO might be some what of a costly mistake seeing as how they bought his pick for 500k.

I suppose so, but then what do you do with Blake? Just put him in a 4 million dollar suit for 2 years? I don't know. It's not my money, but I don't see that as likely.

I'd like it, but I still don't think it's likely. I think the Lakers spent their money on Jodie and they're going to roll with that.

I dont know if you read a recent report by Eric Pincus, but according to him it doesn't sound like it would be difficult to move blake for nothing or a 2nd rd picks, based on how I interpret it mgmt hasn't traded him yet because they dont see any better option currently on the team. I'd say Barbosa could constitute as that better option, I mean if I was mgmt. I rather spend the 1.2 mill or whatever on a vet then waste 700k on DJO/Glock who wouldn't play at all. Having to much "talent" is a good problem to have, you never know when that key injury hits, I mean Blake pulled a rib muscle or whatever last season w/o even doing much.
khmrP

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Do it Mitch.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA
Leandro Barbosa told @balanacesta that talks with the Lakers cooled once LA signed Jodie Meeks. However, Steve Nash has been recruiting him.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Alcindor on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Alcindor wrote:Part of the reason there's an assist difference between Blake and Barbosa is that Blake can't create his own shot. He has to get rid of the ball and when your opponent knows that's what you're gonna do it doesn't help.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that Blake can't score on his own so he's forced to dole out assists? I'm not sure that makes sense.

Don't see what's hard to understand, Barbosa trys to score more. Less assists as a result, he's less of a PG than a 2. Also Blake's effectiveness is hurt by the fact that opponents know he probably won't take the shot.
Alcindor

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Nets Aren't Likely To Sign Leandro Barbosa

Howard Beck ‏@HowardBeckNYT

I don't mean to question Leandro Barbosa's reporting on Leandro Barbosa, but I'm told Nets aren't likely to sign Leandro Barbosa.

Howard Beck ‏@HowardBeckNYT

Nets are two deep at both guard spots -- Deron Williams/CJ Watson, Joe Johnson/MarShon Brooks. Hard to see how Barbosa fits.

https://twitter.com/HowardBeckNYT/statu ... 2458092544

So I guess that means its down to the Lakers and Suns to acquire Leandro Barbosa's services.
Kobe8Fan

Postby XXIV on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:34 pm

^ The suns are also pretty deep already at PG/SG, that's not to say we aren't but he would actually have a great chance to win a ring here.
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Suns have....

Dragic / Marshall / Telfair
Shanwow / Wes Johnson

Not sure if he fits there either.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Can't make Blake good to hear Nash is recruiting Barbosa so he has a real backup, but oh well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Weezy wrote:Can't make Blake good to hear Nash is recruiting Barbosa so he has a real backup, but oh well.

Nash needs his rest during the regular season. :man1:
XXIV

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion