Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:03 pm

I'd LOVE to have Barbosa here and find a way to cast off Blake and Duhon next summer....

Even if we can't send them both packing, I'd still want Barbosa here. He is far and away the better player and he can get in the lane, unlike Blake who will just be hesitant the whole time he has the ball. Barbosa is also MUCH faster than Blake, and more athletic. I'd love to see Barbosa, Meeks, Ebanks on the break...fast and athletic trio right there...

I have confidence in our bench but signing Barbosa would just be icing on the cake...not to mention he has played with Nash before and had some of his best years with him. He can still shoot the 3 ball, which I'd welcome on this team. God knows we need as many guys taht can knock it down now that we have Howard and Nash on the squad. Plus u always have to think about DEPTH....if Kobe or Nash were to go down, Barbosa can fill in for either of them at the 1 or 2....I trust him over some 2nd year players....
FabFourLakers

Postby jadej2 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:13 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:I'd LOVE to have Barbosa here and find a way to cast off Blake and Duhon next summer....

Even if we can't send them both packing, I'd still want Barbosa here. He is far and away the better player and he can get in the lane, unlike Blake who will just be hesitant the whole time he has the ball. Barbosa is also MUCH faster than Blake, and more athletic. I'd love to see Barbosa, Meeks, Ebanks on the break...fast and athletic trio right there...

I have confidence in our bench but signing Barbosa would just be icing on the cake...not to mention he has played with Nash before and had some of his best years with him. He can still shoot the 3 ball, which I'd welcome on this team. God knows we need as many guys taht can knock it down now that we have Howard and Nash on the squad. Plus u always have to think about DEPTH....if Kobe or Nash were to go down, Barbosa can fill in for either of them at the 1 or 2....I trust him over some 2nd year players....

Yeah, but there is no way that Mitch and Jim wants to have 8 mil siting on the bench, and until Blake and/or Duhon is moved we have no chance at Barbosa. Also he's just using us to get more money out of other teams.
jadej2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:26 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:if he's willing to come for vet min who cares if Duhon/Blake are still here.....better then wasting a spot on some 2nd rder who might or might not do much at all in this league. Although DJO might be some what of a costly mistake seeing as how they bought his pick for 500k.

I suppose so, but then what do you do with Blake? Just put him in a 4 million dollar suit for 2 years? I don't know. It's not my money, but I don't see that as likely.

I'd like it, but I still don't think it's likely. I think the Lakers spent their money on Jodie and they're going to roll with that.

I dont know if you read a recent report by Eric Pincus, but according to him it doesn't sound like it would be difficult to move blake for nothing or a 2nd rd picks, based on how I interpret it mgmt hasn't traded him yet because they dont see any better option currently on the team. I'd say Barbosa could constitute as that better option, I mean if I was mgmt. I rather spend the 1.2 mill or whatever on a vet then waste 700k on DJO/Glock who wouldn't play at all. Having to much "talent" is a good problem to have, you never know when that key injury hits, I mean Blake pulled a rib muscle or whatever last season w/o even doing much.

No, I didn't get to read that, could you link it to me? I thought I'd kept up on Eric's reports.

I don't disagree that getting Barbosa is a good thing if he's willing to come here for very limited time and to provide good depth. Right now we've got guard depth, but half of it is garbage (Duhon and Morris especially).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jadej2 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:29 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:if he's willing to come for vet min who cares if Duhon/Blake are still here.....better then wasting a spot on some 2nd rder who might or might not do much at all in this league. Although DJO might be some what of a costly mistake seeing as how they bought his pick for 500k.

I suppose so, but then what do you do with Blake? Just put him in a 4 million dollar suit for 2 years? I don't know. It's not my money, but I don't see that as likely.

I'd like it, but I still don't think it's likely. I think the Lakers spent their money on Jodie and they're going to roll with that.

I dont know if you read a recent report by Eric Pincus, but according to him it doesn't sound like it would be difficult to move blake for nothing or a 2nd rd picks, based on how I interpret it mgmt hasn't traded him yet because they dont see any better option currently on the team. I'd say Barbosa could constitute as that better option, I mean if I was mgmt. I rather spend the 1.2 mill or whatever on a vet then waste 700k on DJO/Glock who wouldn't play at all. Having to much "talent" is a good problem to have, you never know when that key injury hits, I mean Blake pulled a rib muscle or whatever last season w/o even doing much.

No, I didn't get to read that, could you link it to me? I thought I'd kept up on Eric's reports.

I don't disagree that getting Barbosa is a good thing if he's willing to come here for very limited time and to provide good depth. Right now we've got guard depth, but half of it is garbage (Duhon and Morris especially).

Well too bad because we should thought of that before taking Duhon in the Howard deal.
jadej2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Alcindor wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Alcindor wrote:Part of the reason there's an assist difference between Blake and Barbosa is that Blake can't create his own shot. He has to get rid of the ball and when your opponent knows that's what you're gonna do it doesn't help.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying that Blake can't score on his own so he's forced to dole out assists? I'm not sure that makes sense.

Don't see what's hard to understand, Barbosa trys to score more. Less assists as a result, he's less of a PG than a 2. Also Blake's effectiveness is hurt by the fact that opponents know he probably won't take the shot.

I already stated that Barbosa was more of a 2 than a 1, but that's more supportive of my opinion that Blake is a better Point Guard. Barbosa to replace Blake gives us plenty of scoring and not a lot of ball sharing off the bench. I'm not sure that's productive.

If people know he won't take the shot, they should play off of him and take away his passing lanes resulting in more turnovers. That doesn't really explain his high assist rate.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LooN3y on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:45 pm

i dont want blake on this team, i never did.
LooN3y

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:47 pm

jadej2 wrote:
Well too bad because we should thought of that before taking Duhon in the Howard deal.

You're right, when Orlando said "okay we'll give you Dwight, but you have to take Duhon" we should have told them to buzz off.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm

We need a backup SF, not an undersized 2.

While he can bring a lot to the table, he's just not what we need. I'd rather give the minutes to Meeks.
John3:16

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:44 pm

If he does end up on our roster, he better not take any minutes away from Jodie Meeks
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Report: Nets, Lakers, Suns talking to Leandro Barbosa

Anybody looking for a backup point guard? Leandro Barbosa is still on the market.

He’s one of those guys who thinks he deserves more but is likely only going to see veteran minimum offers. Welcome to the new CBA. But some teams are talking to him, the Brazilian guard told UOL Esporte, a publication in his native country (translation via Hoopshype).

“Among others, I’m talking with Phoenix, the Brooklyn Nets and the Los Angeles Lakers. Steve Nash even texted me because he wants me there.”

Steve Nash may want him, and I’ll give you he is a better backup point guard than Steve Blake for the Lakers, but the Lakers already have a $99 million payroll and are not going to be adding anything but minimum contracts to it. And probably not even those.

Barbosa says later in the interview he would play for the veteran minimum on a contender. If he can’t land an NBA gig, he says he would want to play in Brazil this season. But his contract would be such that an NBA team could call him up.

I bet someone picks him up before the season. Just not at the price he and his agent want.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... um=twitter

Do it now, Mitch!
Kobe8Fan

Postby Center Court on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
Report: Nets, Lakers, Suns talking to Leandro Barbosa

Anybody looking for a backup point guard? Leandro Barbosa is still on the market.

He’s one of those guys who thinks he deserves more but is likely only going to see veteran minimum offers. Welcome to the new CBA. But some teams are talking to him, the Brazilian guard told UOL Esporte, a publication in his native country (translation via Hoopshype).

“Among others, I’m talking with Phoenix, the Brooklyn Nets and the Los Angeles Lakers. Steve Nash even texted me because he wants me there.”

Steve Nash may want him, and I’ll give you he is a better backup point guard than Steve Blake for the Lakers, but the Lakers already have a $99 million payroll and are not going to be adding anything but minimum contracts to it. And probably not even those.

Barbosa says later in the interview he would play for the veteran minimum on a contender. If he can’t land an NBA gig, he says he would want to play in Brazil this season. But his contract would be such that an NBA team could call him up.

I bet someone picks him up before the season. Just not at the price he and his agent want.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... um=twitter

Do it now, Mitch!

I know he is not a pure PG, but I'd 100% take him over Blake. I also know Blake cannot be traded nor will we cut him because he's owed to much, but I want him gone soooo badly. Hated signing then and hate it more now. Maybe we'd just cut Duhon and live with Blake in a suit?

From the start, I though Barbosa would be a great fit off the bench, even better fit than Meeks, but he and Meeks in a backcourt off the bench will be very nice. Tons of speed and quickness. With Meeks you get shooting and defense and with Barbosa you get speed and penetration.

Howard (36)/Hill (12)
Pau (32)/Jamison (16)/Hill (2)
Arest (30)/Ebanks (14)/Jamison (4)
Kobe (32)/Meeks (16)
Nash (30)/Barbosa (18)

All players get plenty of mins and it's very complimentary in styles from starters to bench players. DEEP.

:jam2:
Center Court

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Do not want ... one of the biggest ball hogs in the league (and a liability on D) ... would totally prevent any chemistry of the 2nd unit ala Shannon Brown in 2010-2011 ... different style/talent but same result ..

Even if Blake is obviously less talented and is likely to do nothing for a good number of games , I prefer him over Barbosa ... with him it's bonehead play one after the other ...
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:22 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:Do not want ... one of the biggest ball hogs in the league (and a liability on D) ... would totally prevent any chemistry of the 2nd unit ala Shannon Brown in 2010-2011 ... different style/talent but same result ..

Even if Blake is obviously less talented and is likely to do nothing for a good number of games , I prefer him over Barbosa ... with him it's bonehead play one after the other ...

Shut up, you're making too much sense. No one cares that Barbosa is a scorer by mentality and creed. He's not a PG and now that we have Meeks, Barbosa would be a 3rd string SG here. Is that a bad thing? Of course not, that'd be fantastic, but let's not then pretend he'd be replacing Steve Blake.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 am

He can play the PG off the bench bringing speed & 3 point shooting, for all those people who don't want Barbosa as a PG, what do you want? A passive Blake who turns the ball over every time he touches it? No way...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 am

Are we sure it isn't a false alarm? Maybe Nash's wife got ahold of his phone & sent that txt :man12:

All immature trolling aside.. Yes.. Sign Barbosa for the minimum.. Dump Blake for a future 2nd rounder. Cut salary & improve at the same time. Man, it's good to be a Lakers fan.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:40 am

GoldenKnight wrote:He can play the PG off the bench bringing speed & 3 point shooting, for all those people who don't want Barbosa as a PG, what do you want? A passive Blake who turns the ball over every time he touches it? No way...

Steve Blake averaged an assist to turnover ratio of 2.36 (3.3 assists/1.4 turnovers). I'm not sure where you get the idea that he turns the ball over every time he touches it.

I want a PG that actually passes the ball. In 64 games last season Barbosa totaled 96 assists. In 53 games Steve Blake totaled 174 assists. In 64 games Barbosa had 94 turnovers. In 53 games Blake totaled 72 turnovers.

Who is the better PG?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:48 am

I can't believe people are really pretending Blake is a better player than Barbosa. We're talking about a guy that couldn't take the starting job from Fish, when Fish was the worst starting PG in the league. Barbosa brings quickness & slashing ability that we're currently missing. He played the majority of his career with Nash. I was a fan of the Blake signing because of how his skillset fit the needs for a triangle PG. With our roster being so stacked this season, you're crazy if you think we'll be staying within the offense. More than half of the time we will be freelancing, with Kobe or Nash calling plays after reading the defense. In an open flowing offense like we'll see, give me the Brazilian Blur every time.
lakersin4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 am

lakersin4 wrote:I can't believe people are really pretending Blake is a better player than Barbosa. We're talking about a guy that couldn't take the starting job from Fish, when Fish was the worst starting PG in the league. Barbosa brings quickness & slashing ability that we're currently missing. He played the majority of his career with Nash. I was a fan of the Blake signing because of how his skillset fit the needs for a triangle PG. With our roster being so stacked this season, you're crazy if you think we'll be staying within the offense. More than half of the time we will be freelancing, with Kobe or Nash calling plays after reading the defense. In an open flowing offense like we'll see, give me the Brazilian Blur every time.

I can't believe people are really pretending dyslexia can't be treated these days
wcsoldier81

Postby OX1947 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:42 am

I have to question some of you who, apparently, do not watch basketball games other then the Lakers. Barbosa for the vet min is highway robbery. And while he isnt a conventional PG, that guy is the perfect bench scorer we need who CAN handle the ball. Lakers need scoring, experience and speed off the bench. If you tell me he is a bad signing, then you have no clue whats going on.

I believe if they do sign him, Mitch has to trade Blake. Duhon isnt a big deal, his last season in 2014 is partially guaranteed, so they can cut him if they can not trade him.
OX1947

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 am

For everyone who keeps saying "Lakers won't sign Barbosa unless they get rid of Blake"....even if we CAN'T get rid of him, we can still sign Barbosa. Barbosa will be had for the vet's min, and we can hand out as many vet's min contracts as we want. If we get Barbosa, its a TREMENDOUS upgrade. People who THINK blake at PG is better than Barbosa...let me ask you this....WHY? Watch the games, not the stats. When Blake is in, our offense is crap, and its ALL outside shooting, no penetration or breaking down of the D....and our transition offense is also crap. Blake has one thing over Barbosa, and that is better D. But he is only SLIGHTLY better....Barbosa at the 1, he does have the speed to stay with the quicker PG's, unlike Blake...and Barbosa has primarily played the 2 which means he has had to defend 2's for most of his career. Maybe playing the 1 will make Barbosa a more effective defender? All i'm saying is, Barbosa gives our bench a different dynamic. We'll have one of the more active benches in the league with Jordan Hill, Jamison, Ebanks, Meeks and Barbosa. I don't care what we do with Blake....if we sign Barbosa, he will be the back up PG to Nash. Blake and Duhon can sit their butts on the bench until we trade them next summer when both becoming expiring K's. Blake has been a huge disappointment and Barbosa would be a HUGE upgrade in our backcourt which would now be among the deepest in the league with Kobe/Nash/Meeks/Barbosa/Blake/Duhon.
FabFourLakers

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 am

Looks Like He'd be a good signing
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:32 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:I can't believe people are really pretending Blake is a better player than Barbosa. We're talking about a guy that couldn't take the starting job from Fish, when Fish was the worst starting PG in the league. Barbosa brings quickness & slashing ability that we're currently missing. He played the majority of his career with Nash. I was a fan of the Blake signing because of how his skillset fit the needs for a triangle PG. With our roster being so stacked this season, you're crazy if you think we'll be staying within the offense. More than half of the time we will be freelancing, with Kobe or Nash calling plays after reading the defense. In an open flowing offense like we'll see, give me the Brazilian Blur every time.

I can't believe people are really pretending dyslexia can't be treated these days

lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:14 am

therealdeal wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:He can play the PG off the bench bringing speed & 3 point shooting, for all those people who don't want Barbosa as a PG, what do you want? A passive Blake who turns the ball over every time he touches it? No way...

Steve Blake averaged an assist to turnover ratio of 2.36 (3.3 assists/1.4 turnovers). I'm not sure where you get the idea that he turns the ball over every time he touches it.

I want a PG that actually passes the ball. In 64 games last season Barbosa totaled 96 assists. In 53 games Steve Blake totaled 174 assists. In 64 games Barbosa had 94 turnovers. In 53 games Blake totaled 72 turnovers.

Who is the better PG?

I don't know the stats either way for PG or SG. But Barbosa played all of his minutes at SG last season, his role wasn't to be the PG, it was to score. To be fair in this argument IMO, you need to look back at the Suns days when Barbosa played PG.

It could be that he was actually worse or better. I don't know, just pointing out that Barbosa didn't play PG last year, so those stats you can't really compare.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 am

"In an open flowing offense like we'll see, give me the Brazilian Blur every time."

I still recall to this day in Gameday during one of the painful playoffs against the Suns in the mid 2000s......someone's memorable, "Whoa......Barbosa's an alien....he's so fast" :man10: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 am

Leandro Barbosa - G - Pacers The Nets do not have "serious interest" in unrestricted FA Leandro Barbosa.
Howard Beck of the NY Times called Barbosa's signing unlikely, and we'd agree with that assessment. There just doesn't seem to be any room for Barbosa on the Brooklyn roster. Related: Nets
Source: Nets Daily on Twitter Sep 12 - 8:28 AM
So its Lakers and suns?
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion