Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Helljumper wrote:I don't care if you want to call him a PG or a SG. I don't care if he can't facilitate. I don't care what his assist/TO ratio is. I'll take Barbosa over Blake in our rotation any day. Barbosa/Meeks > Blake / Meeks


How can you not care about whether or not he can facilitate? :man10: That's the most important thing for a PG. Especially one off the bench.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40314
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:15 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Helljumper wrote:I don't care if you want to call him a PG or a SG. I don't care if he can't facilitate. I don't care what his assist/TO ratio is. I'll take Barbosa over Blake in our rotation any day. Barbosa/Meeks > Blake / Meeks


How can you not care about whether or not he can facilitate? :man10: That's the most important thing for a PG. Especially one off the bench.

Because its not like Blake can facilitate either. He sucks.
Image
User avatar
Texas Lakers Fan

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 am

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby l__o on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Anyway Barbosa shd be better than Blake
l__o

 
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 am

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Barbosa > Blake
Image

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
User avatar
GoldenKnight

 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Helljumper wrote:I don't care if you want to call him a PG or a SG. I don't care if he can't facilitate. I don't care what his assist/TO ratio is. I'll take Barbosa over Blake in our rotation any day. Barbosa/Meeks > Blake / Meeks


How can you not care about whether or not he can facilitate? :man10: That's the most important thing for a PG. Especially one off the bench.

Because its not like Blake can facilitate either. He sucks.

I'm not denying that, I'm saying he's a better point guard than Barbosa, which isn't really deniable. He's a pass first player and with a team of guys that need the ball to be passed to them (Ebanks, Meeks, Hill, even Jamison is more effective that way), how are they going to score with a ball hog?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40314
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Helljumper on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:04 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Helljumper wrote:I don't care if you want to call him a PG or a SG. I don't care if he can't facilitate. I don't care what his assist/TO ratio is. I'll take Barbosa over Blake in our rotation any day. Barbosa/Meeks > Blake / Meeks


How can you not care about whether or not he can facilitate? :man10: That's the most important thing for a PG. Especially one off the bench.


Then don't call him a PG. Consider it a line-up with 2 SG's. It's not like we need a prototypical PG to run the offense off the bench (especially considering that until a couple of months ago, we pretty much haven't had a PG that could legitimately facilitate an offense in decades). If we play Barbosa at "PG" his job will be to bring the ball up, score when he has the opportunity, and if not, pass it to someone else.

I know the offense might become stagnant without Blake's ability to drive past his defender with his razor-quick speed, his flawless execution of the pick-and-roll, and his extremely precise post-entry passes, but I think Barbosa's scoring ability might be able to offset that...
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14868
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:21 pm

^ No need to get sarcastic at me. :man10:

We have a lot of guys on the bench that need to be set up or are better off being set up. My only point is that Blake is a willing passer and he does a MUCH better job of moving the ball than Barbosa. Barbosa wants to score on his own every possession and can't really move the ball well.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40314
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby ThizGuy83 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 pm

so if we get barbosa... obviously a lil too much on the pg side... quick question... when can duhon be waived if the lakers do decide to do that?... k now on to barbosa... only downside i see about him is he will obviously play point guard unless meeks will and i dunno if he can... can meeks and barbosa co exist together when there on the court at the same time? i know barbosa isnt exactly a passer since from wut i know that once he gets the ball he puts his head down and drives to the basket or shoot and pass is pretty much a last choice to him... problem i see with that is will it give us chemistry problems cuz we will have meeks and jamison... i personally would love to have blake as point guard since his main assignment is to set up other guys and hes a pass first player... but im also thinking that blake needs to be a scoring threat despite a pass first player and he hasnt really shown he can be a scoring threat... in stretches he can but then he will go in even longer stretches of not even looking to score... so my thinking is if the lakers do sign barbosa... duhon will have to be waived obviously and will the chemistry be good with barbosa as a point guard?
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
User avatar
ThizGuy83

 
Posts: 2663
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: SO CAL!!

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby last stand on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ No need to get sarcastic at me. :man10:

We have a lot of guys on the bench that need to be set up or are better off being set up. My only point is that Blake is a willing passer and he does a MUCH better job of moving the ball than Barbosa. Barbosa wants to score on his own every possession and can't really move the ball well.


its simple really

blake is a willing passer but a completely unwilling shooter

barbosa is a willing shooter but a completely unwilling passer

make the decision mitch
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7502
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:56 pm

^ Barbosa.

But we have to get rid of Blake's contract then.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40314
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby ben_ready on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Send em to Portland for 2 second round picks done! Yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

 
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: los angeles

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby noobiew on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:38 pm

For vet min ? HELL YES !
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
User avatar
noobiew

 
Posts: 5564
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby kblo247 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 pm

I think people are assuming the wrong guy gets cut from the rotation with Barbosa added.

Blake would still play, Meeks would still play ..... Ebanks won't because Kobe will be the backup SF like Pau is the backup C
Image
User avatar
kblo247

 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Helljumper on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ No need to get sarcastic at me. :man10:

We have a lot of guys on the bench that need to be set up or are better off being set up. My only point is that Blake is a willing passer and he does a MUCH better job of moving the ball than Barbosa. Barbosa wants to score on his own every possession and can't really move the ball well.


I don't disagree with that. If we had someone like Sessions as our back-up PG, I would never suggest trying to replace him with a streaky scoring guard because yeah, on paper our bench looks like it would operate better with a legit floor general (who at least has some skillset to score for himself) rather than a pure scorer. But Blake isn't really that great of a facilitator and he's not a threat to score at all. So I think for our bench, the drop-off in offense from Barbosa's ineptitude at passing would be more than made up for by his ability to score and create his own shot.

But at the end of the day, it would only be a marginal improvement and realistically I don't see us signing him (or any other guard). I usually hate when people say this because it's over-used so much, but this time I think it's true: Barbosa's just trying to use us for leverage. An earlier report said that talks with him quieted once we signed Meeks. That seems to indicate that Barbosa was our back-up plan if we didn't get Meeks because if we wanted them both, there would be no reason for talks to quiet down after the Meeks signing since we were probably only offering Barbosa the minimum to begin with.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14868
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Helljumper on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:54 pm

kblo247 wrote:I think people are assuming the wrong guy gets cut from the rotation with Barbosa added.

Blake would still play, Meeks would still play ..... Ebanks won't because Kobe will be the backup SF like Pau is the backup C


And Barbosa would play ... backup PF? :man3:
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14868
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby kblo247 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:53 am

Blake Meeks Kobe Hill Pau
Nash Barbosa Artest Jamison Dwight
Image
User avatar
kblo247

 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:07 am

Helljumper wrote:I don't disagree with that. If we had someone like Sessions as our back-up PG, I would never suggest trying to replace him with a streaky scoring guard because yeah, on paper our bench looks like it would operate better with a legit floor general (who at least has some skillset to score for himself) rather than a pure scorer. But Blake isn't really that great of a facilitator and he's not a threat to score at all. So I think for our bench, the drop-off in offense from Barbosa's ineptitude at passing would be more than made up for by his ability to score and create his own shot.

But at the end of the day, it would only be a marginal improvement and realistically I don't see us signing him (or any other guard). I usually hate when people say this because it's over-used so much, but this time I think it's true: Barbosa's just trying to use us for leverage. An earlier report said that talks with him quieted once we signed Meeks. That seems to indicate that Barbosa was our back-up plan if we didn't get Meeks because if we wanted them both, there would be no reason for talks to quiet down after the Meeks signing since we were probably only offering Barbosa the minimum to begin with.

Sessions would have been perfect, and I know he did an interview recently where he stated he's happy with his decision, but you've just got to know he's kicking himself. If he had opted in for his final season, he's playing for one of the greatest teams ever assembled in a perfect situation to learn and improve while still being an integral part of the team. Now instead of backing up Steve Nash for a Championship, he's backing up Kemba Walker for a team that will likely compete for the #1 draft pick. Some might say "how would he know we'd have a stacked team?". He left AFTER we signed Nash. I would have JUMPED at the opportunity to play with him and learn from him... anyway...

I agree with you also on the second point. I think the Lakers have pretty much told him he can come here for depth if he'd like, but we really wanted Meeks and we got him. Barbosa I think is searching for money and for a chance to play and I don't know that he finds it right now. Similar to Kenyon Martin.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40314
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby LAKEROC on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 am

I like Barbosa, and for the veterans minimum, you absolutely do it. He's a former sixth man of the year, who like Jamison, received his Sixth Man of the Year award playing with Steve Nash as the point guard of the offense. I think Barbosa could help the Lakers, especially from what I saw from him this summer. Now, obviously, if you gave me the choice, I would much prefer to have had Ramon Session accept his 4.5 million player option, and be our backup point guard(still pissed about this), but since this is actually a viable option, and makes the Lakers better in the back court, at the 1 and 2 position, I say make it happen.
Love to see the Lakers find a way of getting a defensive minded CHEAP backup small forward, by using the following players(Chris Duhon, Earl Clark, Andrew Goudelock, Darius Morris, Robert Sacre). I like Ebanks, but I don't want to rely on him as my second small forward off the bench. A player like a Harrison Barnes, would have been an absolute godsend here off the bench for the Lakers, but that's just not reality, unfortunately.
I would love in a perfect world(i.e. dream world) for the Lakers to get a blue chip small forward to backup Artest(i.e. Harrison Barnes, Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist) that would come CHEAP, and be an MASSIVE help to our bench, however IT ISN'T REALITY, and we have nothing that can allow this to come to fruition, which is quite sad. However, a blue chip small forward here(like these two-especially Barnes), would be a godsend. We also need help at backup point guard(thank you Ramon Sessions, for bailing on us), would also like to add a player who can be a stretch 4-5 for the bench, someone who has the game of Kenyon Martin defensively, but who conducts himself like a professional on and off the court and is a good mentor(like Etan Thomas). Can the Lakers incorporate a lobotomy into Kenyon's contract?
LAKEROC

 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby wallangong on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:04 am

before i even opened this thread i made a bet with myself that i would for sure see Harrison Barnes mentioned in your post. i win.

:bang:
Go Buffs.
User avatar
wallangong

 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Helljumper on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:12 am

therealdeal wrote:
Helljumper wrote:I don't disagree with that. If we had someone like Sessions as our back-up PG, I would never suggest trying to replace him with a streaky scoring guard because yeah, on paper our bench looks like it would operate better with a legit floor general (who at least has some skillset to score for himself) rather than a pure scorer. But Blake isn't really that great of a facilitator and he's not a threat to score at all. So I think for our bench, the drop-off in offense from Barbosa's ineptitude at passing would be more than made up for by his ability to score and create his own shot.

But at the end of the day, it would only be a marginal improvement and realistically I don't see us signing him (or any other guard). I usually hate when people say this because it's over-used so much, but this time I think it's true: Barbosa's just trying to use us for leverage. An earlier report said that talks with him quieted once we signed Meeks. That seems to indicate that Barbosa was our back-up plan if we didn't get Meeks because if we wanted them both, there would be no reason for talks to quiet down after the Meeks signing since we were probably only offering Barbosa the minimum to begin with.

Sessions would have been perfect, and I know he did an interview recently where he stated he's happy with his decision, but you've just got to know he's kicking himself. If he had opted in for his final season, he's playing for one of the greatest teams ever assembled in a perfect situation to learn and improve while still being an integral part of the team. Now instead of backing up Steve Nash for a Championship, he's backing up Kemba Walker for a team that will likely compete for the #1 draft pick. Some might say "how would he know we'd have a stacked team?". He left AFTER we signed Nash. I would have JUMPED at the opportunity to play with him and learn from him... anyway...

I agree with you also on the second point. I think the Lakers have pretty much told him he can come here for depth if he'd like, but we really wanted Meeks and we got him. Barbosa I think is searching for money and for a chance to play and I don't know that he finds it right now. Similar to Kenyon Martin.


I don't wanna go too far off-topic, but every once in a while I'm reminded of Sessions and I can't help but think that was the one blemish of our off-season. It really would've made so much sense for all parties for him to stay with us as a back-up. He would've provided us very good insurance in case of an injury to Nash. He would've been able to learn from Nash and likely be groomed to be our future starting PG (despite his failures in the playoffs, I still do think he has the potential to be a very good PG). He would've fit in perfectly with our bench unit (last year, his struggles seemed to be more with the half-court offense of the starters, not with his own abilities). He could've gotten the same amount of money he got from Charlotte (this was before the amnesty deadline, so I'm sure management would've signed off on giving Sessions $5 million if we could then amnesty Blake's $4 million).

It would have been a luxury to have him as a back-up, but it's a luxury that we easily could have had if he didn't make such a stupid decision. :bang:
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14868
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:16 am

Leandro Barbosa - G - Pacers Leandro Barbosa's contract discussions with the Lakers "cooled" after Los Angeles signed Jodie Meeks.
Just as we suspected. The Lakers used part of the mini-midlevel exception to sign Meeks, and the team wouldn't have done that if they weren't going to give him minutes. There just doesn't seem to be room on the Lakers roster for Barbosa despite the fact that he insists Steve Nash has been "recruiting him". Related: Lakers, Jodie Meeks
Source: Alex Kennedy on Twitter Sep 13 - 9:32 AM
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
User avatar
Balance&Options24

 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:50 am

LAKEROC wrote:I like Barbosa, and for the veterans minimum, you absolutely do it. He's a former sixth man of the year, who like Jamison, received his Sixth Man of the Year award playing with Steve Nash as the point guard of the offense. I think Barbosa could help the Lakers, especially from what I saw from him this summer. Now, obviously, if you gave me the choice, I would much prefer to have had Ramon Session accept his 4.5 million player option, and be our backup point guard(still pissed about this), but since this is actually a viable option, and makes the Lakers better in the back court, at the 1 and 2 position, I say make it happen.
Love to see the Lakers find a way of getting a defensive minded CHEAP backup small forward, by using the following players(Chris Duhon, Earl Clark, Andrew Goudelock, Darius Morris, Robert Sacre). I like Ebanks, but I don't want to rely on him as my second small forward off the bench. A player like a Harrison Barnes, would have been an absolute godsend here off the bench for the Lakers, but that's just not reality, unfortunately.
I would love in a perfect world(i.e. dream world) for the Lakers to get a blue chip small forward to backup Artest(i.e. Harrison Barnes, Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist) that would come CHEAP, and be an MASSIVE help to our bench, however IT ISN'T REALITY, and we have nothing that can allow this to come to fruition, which is quite sad. However, a blue chip small forward here(like these two-especially Barnes), would be a godsend. We also need help at backup point guard(thank you Ramon Sessions, for bailing on us), would also like to add a player who can be a stretch 4-5 for the bench, someone who has the game of Kenyon Martin defensively, but who conducts himself like a professional on and off the court and is a good mentor(like Etan Thomas). Can the Lakers incorporate a lobotomy into Kenyon's contract?


Image
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

 
Posts: 12220
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby 24K GOLD on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Don't think we need him. We need another big man or PG.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

Image
User avatar
24K GOLD

 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am
Location: Camp Nou

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Helljumper wrote:I don't wanna go too far off-topic, but every once in a while I'm reminded of Sessions and I can't help but think that was the one blemish of our off-season. It really would've made so much sense for all parties for him to stay with us as a back-up. He would've provided us very good insurance in case of an injury to Nash. He would've been able to learn from Nash and likely be groomed to be our future starting PG (despite his failures in the playoffs, I still do think he has the potential to be a very good PG). He would've fit in perfectly with our bench unit (last year, his struggles seemed to be more with the half-court offense of the starters, not with his own abilities). He could've gotten the same amount of money he got from Charlotte (this was before the amnesty deadline, so I'm sure management would've signed off on giving Sessions $5 million if we could then amnesty Blake's $4 million).

It would have been a luxury to have him as a back-up, but it's a luxury that we easily could have had if he didn't make such a stupid decision. :bang:

Well I don't consider it a blemish on our part because it's not like Mitch wanted him to go. We all wanted him here, even Mitch said he was a part of the Lakers' long term plans, but it was his decision. He wanted to leave for whatever reason, so that's not the Lakers fault. It put us in a tough spot because we were forced to rely on Blake, but it is what it is.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40314
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:42 pm

24K GOLD wrote:Don't think we need him. We need another big man or PG.


I think our frontline rotation: Howard, Pau, Hill, Jamison, Metta, Ebanks is fine.

It's this: Blake, Duhon, Morris that scares me.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9887
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rooscooter and 13 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.