Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby 24K GOLD on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Barbosa isn't exactly going to help in that regard because he is programmed to do two things: run and shoot.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

Image
User avatar
24K GOLD

 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am
Location: Camp Nou

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:47 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:Don't think we need him. We need another big man or PG.


I think our frontline rotation: Howard, Pau, Hill, Jamison, Metta, Ebanks is fine.

It's this: Blake, Duhon, Morris that scares me.

Well Duhon and Morris won't play so that's fine. Blake will be okay.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:14 pm

LAKEROC wrote:I like Barbosa, and for the veterans minimum, you absolutely do it. He's a former sixth man of the year, who like Jamison, received his Sixth Man of the Year award playing with Steve Nash as the point guard of the offense. I think Barbosa could help the Lakers, especially from what I saw from him this summer. And makes the Lakers better in the back court, at the 1 and 2 position, I say make it happen.

We also need help at backup point guard(thank you Ramon Sessions, for bailing on us), would also like to add a player who can be a stretch 4-5 for the bench, someone who has the game of Kenyon Martin defensively, but who conducts himself like a professional on and off the court and is a good mentor(like Etan Thomas). Can the Lakers incorporate a lobotomy into Kenyon's contract?


Edited your post for you.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby OX1947 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:01 pm

24K GOLD wrote:Barbosa isn't exactly going to help in that regard because he is programmed to do two things: run and shoot.


Yah well, he can put points on the board. And the last few years, all we have gotten from our bench is bagels and turnstiles.

This team blew more leads then a prostitute without a pimp. Lakers need scoring off the bench. We do not need a guy who can pass. We need a crew off the bench that can sustain or extend leads when our starters go into the 2nd and 4th quarters with 10 point leads, instead of coming back at the 6 min mark with the Starters with a 2 point deficit.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby LooN3y on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Y not get T-Mac and have him play point forward, he wasnt too bad defensively last year, and he's been playing point off th bench for the past 2 years

Nash/Barbosa
Kobe/Meeks
Artest/McGrady
Gasol/Jamison
Dwight/Hill


Dish out 2 minimum contracts, keep Blake, Ebanks, and Sacre for injury situations

Or heck sign k-mart to ride the bench, till an emergency happens,


We'd be the deepest team in basketball
User avatar
LooN3y

 
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:46 pm

OX1947 wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:Barbosa isn't exactly going to help in that regard because he is programmed to do two things: run and shoot.


Yah well, he can put points on the board. And the last few years, all we have gotten from our bench is bagels and turnstiles.

This team blew more leads then a prostitute without a pimp. Lakers need scoring off the bench. We do not need a guy who can pass. We need a crew off the bench that can sustain or extend leads when our starters go into the 2nd and 4th quarters with 10 point leads, instead of coming back at the 6 min mark with the Starters with a 2 point deficit.
^ we already have two guys like that named Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison. I'd rather see them get opportunities to score than watch Barbosa try to do it all by himself.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:13 am

therealdeal wrote:^ we already have two guys like that named Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison. I'd rather see them get opportunities to score than watch Barbosa try to do it all by himself.


Exactly, I'd rather see Blake run the point then watch Barbosa run around getting swatted. He's fallen way off since 06'? When he was putting up decent numbers with Phoenix. We don't need another Shannon Brown type trying to run the point.. any true PG in the league would be a better choice, including Blake.
User avatar
BadCoaching

 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:36 am

therealdeal wrote:^ we already have two guys like that named Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison. I'd rather see them get opportunities to score than watch Barbosa try to do it all by himself.


i think your overrating blake's ability to create for others. he doesn't penetrate and dish. the bulk of his passing comes from post entry and swings

barbosa isn't a passer. obviously, not anywhere close but he does swing the ball. always has. he did it in phoenix.

there is half of blake's passing right there.

my issue with blake is he refuses to shoot the ball. flat out refuses.

likely jaimison, meeks and (blake or barbosa) will be playing with howard or gasol

we need guys who will shoot and willingly. we aren't going to find creators, and steve blake isn't close to a creator.

barbosa is also a proven playoff performer, blake is not. and i'll say it again barbosa will shoot and willingly.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7501
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby 24K GOLD on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 am

last stand wrote:i think your overrating blake's ability to create for others. he doesn't penetrate and dish. the bulk of his passing comes from post entry and swings

Majority of Blake's effectivity came when he was a spot-up shooter.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

Image
User avatar
24K GOLD

 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am
Location: Camp Nou

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:04 am

last stand wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ we already have two guys like that named Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison. I'd rather see them get opportunities to score than watch Barbosa try to do it all by himself.

i think your overrating blake's ability to create for others. he doesn't penetrate and dish. the bulk of his passing comes from post entry and swings
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I never said Blake was creator, but he's a willing passer and that has shown throughout his career. Barbosa has never come close to anything respectable for a PG as far as passing goes and he's played in a system that inflates those types of numbers. Barbosa is not a willing passer.
last stand wrote:barbosa isn't a passer. obviously, not anywhere close but he does swing the ball. always has. he did it in phoenix.

The numbers prove otherwise. Please see my posts on previous pages.
last stand wrote:my issue with blake is he refuses to shoot the ball. flat out refuses.
I agree. He does not shoot enough of the open shots.
last stand wrote:likely jaimison, meeks and (blake or barbosa) will be playing with howard or gasol
almost certainly.
last stand wrote:we need guys who will shoot and willingly. we aren't going to find creators, and steve blake isn't close to a creator.
a shooter and creator are two different things. If you want a shooter, we have Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison. A creator either takes shots for himself or has the reputation necessary to make defenses collapse and then passes the ball as a result. For a bench example that works see James Harden. For a bench example that doesn't see Shannon Brown or Leandro Barbosa, but neither is a PG by any stretch.
last stand wrote:barbosa is also a proven playoff performer, blake is not. and i'll say it again barbosa will shoot and willingly.

Barbosa's career playoff averages: 9.6 points 1.8 assists 2.0 rebounds 0.6 steals 22.8 minutes per game 41.7% FG and 32.2% from deep. What about that is a proven playoff performer? Not saying Blake is any better, but your point doesn't make sense.

Blake's playoff numbers: 5.3 points 3.0 assists 2.2 rebounds 0.6 steals 24.4 minutes per game 42.4% FG and 41.2% from deep. Blake is certainly worse, but that doesn't make Barbosa a "proven playoff performer".
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:35 am

thats not true at all. your taking playoff career averages, however ignoring minutes played and looking at individual seasons.

blake has always had more minutes than barbosa in the playoffs. and still underperformed. barbosa on the other hand when given bigger minutes put up 15ppg, 14ppg, 10ppg respectively.

and how did you prove he doesn't swing pass. you don't always get assists for swing passes always. barbosa isn't a ball stopper.

most of his scoring is assisted meaning he shoots when the ball is passed to him. rarely shoots off the dribble. his highest passing ratings were in phoenix.

he can swing the ball. he's not a creator but he'll swing
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7501
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby davriver290 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:12 am

i just think we are coming off two awful seasons and are looking at Blake just because. 40% from deep in the playoffs is damn good. Its not his fault our bench was god awful thus making everyone else horrible. He also had a pretty good couple of games in the post season too. He'll be in a more offensive flow in which he will flourish. We aren't getting barbs, and Blake will be just fine.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
User avatar
davriver290

 
Posts: 5711
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:14 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby XXIV on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:21 am

davriver290 wrote:i just think we are coming off two awful seasons and are looking at Blake just because. 40% from deep in the playoffs is damn good. Its not his fault our bench was god awful thus making everyone else horrible. He also had a pretty good couple of games in the post season too. He'll be in a more offensive flow in which he will flourish. We aren't getting barbs, and Blake will be just fine.


I believe we still have a chance in getting Barbosa, and I wouldn't oppose him coming here because he brings a different aspect to the 1 spot that we haven't had since Farmar. However, I do agree that we were too dependent on Blake because our bench was just plain terrible. With the lack of bench scoring and Fisher/Sessions playing horrible at times, we looked towards Blake to become that spark off the bench. Now that we have Jamison and Meeks, we won't be expecting too much from him and he can just focus on hitting the open jumper.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6386
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:27 am

Don't get me wrong. I think Blake is good enough, but I don't like hesitation to shoot, that is one of my basketball pet peeves
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7501
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby 24K GOLD on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am

last stand wrote:Don't get me wrong. I think Blake is good enough

You are totally mistaken.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

Image
User avatar
24K GOLD

 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am
Location: Camp Nou

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am

Blake playing with a bench of LO/Shannon/Barnes....

20 mins / 4ppg / 2 apg / 36%FG / 38% 3PT

Blake playing with a bench of Barnes / McFly / Glock / Ebanks....

23 mins / 5 ppg / 3 apg / 38%FG / 34% 3PT

If that's what we can expect with Blake playing with a better bench and only a spot up shooter, move the ball role, then give me Barbosa.

18mpg / 3 ppg / 2 apg / 37%FG / 36% 3PT.......that's my prediction for Blake. :man11:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby The Rock on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:55 am

why dont we let Goudelock be the backup PG :man13: :man13: :man13:
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19991
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 am

The Rock wrote:why dont we let Goudelock be the backup PG :man13: :man13: :man13:


because he has zero ball handling skills and does not play defense.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby The Rock on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:59 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
The Rock wrote:why dont we let Goudelock be the backup PG :man13: :man13: :man13:


because he has zero ball handling skills and does not play defense.


Blake isn't any better at playing D and isn't any more effective handling the ball either.. I like Glock I hope we find a rotation spot for him. Sure hes a gunner but the guy is fearless, he stretches the floor and he is smart enough to use blow-bys to get better shots. He did well when Blake was hurt

Im just tired of Blake on this team, 2-3 games of good play for a month of suckage. Enough is enough
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19991
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby lkrfn85 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:41 pm

barbosa would be great for us because he can give us 10 off the bench if we need it. With Nash's age and back problems, he will probably play around 30 minutes a game, which leaves 18 point guard minutes, and I don't want those to go to Blake/Duhon. Plus, if Nash misses a few games, we would be in a lot of trouble at the pg. Barbosa can play the 1 and 2, give us a little Nash/Kobe injury insurance, and pretty much be a better version of the role Jordan Farmar had in 08 and 09 (come off the bench, speed the game up, and get a few easy buckets). Barbosa can do that, AND take minutes away from Blake/Duhon. Win Win.
User avatar
lkrfn85

 
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:18 pm

last stand wrote:thats not true at all. your taking playoff career averages, however ignoring minutes played and looking at individual seasons.

blake has always had more minutes than barbosa in the playoffs. and still underperformed. barbosa on the other hand when given bigger minutes put up 15ppg, 14ppg, 10ppg respectively.

PPG is not an all important statistic. If it was, Kobe's season last year would be heralded with all around acclaim, yet many people don't think highly of it. Most of that is because shot under 45% on the season.

In that 15 ppg playoffs (06/07) Barbosa shot only 40.5% from the field and a terrible 30.5% from deep. To get those 15.8 ppg he had to take 14.4 shots per game! And he played for over 30 minutes per game! You show me numbers that are supposed to impress upon me that he succeeds in the playoffs, but if you scaled that to the 20 minutes he could expect here he'd score about 10 ppg on terrible efficiency averaging basically the same number of assists as turnovers. And that's his best season.

And your assessment that Blake has had more minutes than Barbosa in the playoffs is false. This time YOU were just looking at career averages instead of the entire picture. Barbosa has played in 3 playoffs averaging more than 25 minutes per game (2 over 30 minutes) while Blake has done... the same thing. However, Barbosa has had a whole nother season in the playoffs that Blake hasn't. Barbosa has totaled 1713 minutes in the post season. Blake has totaled only 879. Barbosa has had much more experience in the playoffs.

The only post-season that Barbosa has shot well from the field and had good numbers besides scoring was in 05/06, but with a 1.8 assist to turnover ratio he hardly played well as a PG. Meanwhile in Blake's best season hea averaged 9.8 points 6.2 assists and 4.0 rebounds with 48.9% from the field and 41.7% from deep.
last stand wrote:and how did you prove he doesn't swing pass. you don't always get assists for swing passes always. barbosa isn't a ball stopper.

how do you prove he does? I didn't say you get an assist every time you do that, but if you're willing to do that you are more likely to get an assist than a guy that doesn't do that. I know Barbosa doesn't (or at least not at a high rate) because I've studied the numbers and they all point to him being a sub-par passer for a PG.

last stand wrote:most of his scoring is assisted meaning he shoots when the ball is passed to him. rarely shoots off the dribble. his highest passing ratings were in phoenix.

he can swing the ball. he's not a creator but he'll swing
Where is your proof though? Where is your proof that when he comes off the bench he'll look to get the ball to other people just as much as himself? Is it his career somewhere that I'm missing?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Johnnyboy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:16 pm

its funny that everyone says barbosa is an undersized 2 guard and then rant and rave about meeks who is the same height as barbosa
User avatar
Johnnyboy

 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:31 am

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Johnnyboy wrote:its funny that everyone says barbosa is an undersized 2 guard and then rant and rave about meeks who is the same height as barbosa

Meeks is taller than Barbosa. Not to mention he's also stronger and has a better build.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Johnnyboy wrote:its funny that everyone says barbosa is an undersized 2 guard and then rant and rave about meeks who is the same height as barbosa

Meeks is taller than Barbosa. Not to mention he's also stronger and has a better build.


and younger!
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:
last stand wrote:thats not true at all. your taking playoff career averages, however ignoring minutes played and looking at individual seasons.

blake has always had more minutes than barbosa in the playoffs. and still underperformed. barbosa on the other hand when given bigger minutes put up 15ppg, 14ppg, 10ppg respectively.

PPG is not an all important statistic. If it was, Kobe's season last year would be heralded with all around acclaim, yet many people don't think highly of it. Most of that is because shot under 45% on the season.

In that 15 ppg playoffs (06/07) Barbosa shot only 40.5% from the field and a terrible 30.5% from deep. To get those 15.8 ppg he had to take 14.4 shots per game! And he played for over 30 minutes per game! You show me numbers that are supposed to impress upon me that he succeeds in the playoffs, but if you scaled that to the 20 minutes he could expect here he'd score about 10 ppg on terrible efficiency averaging basically the same number of assists as turnovers. And that's his best season.

And your assessment that Blake has had more minutes than Barbosa in the playoffs is false. This time YOU were just looking at career averages instead of the entire picture. Barbosa has played in 3 playoffs averaging more than 25 minutes per game (2 over 30 minutes) while Blake has done... the same thing. However, Barbosa has had a whole nother season in the playoffs that Blake hasn't. Barbosa has totaled 1713 minutes in the post season. Blake has totaled only 879. Barbosa has had much more experience in the playoffs.

The only post-season that Barbosa has shot well from the field and had good numbers besides scoring was in 05/06, but with a 1.8 assist to turnover ratio he hardly played well as a PG. Meanwhile in Blake's best season hea averaged 9.8 points 6.2 assists and 4.0 rebounds with 48.9% from the field and 41.7% from deep.
last stand wrote:and how did you prove he doesn't swing pass. you don't always get assists for swing passes always. barbosa isn't a ball stopper.

how do you prove he does? I didn't say you get an assist every time you do that, but if you're willing to do that you are more likely to get an assist than a guy that doesn't do that. I know Barbosa doesn't (or at least not at a high rate) because I've studied the numbers and they all point to him being a sub-par passer for a PG.

last stand wrote:most of his scoring is assisted meaning he shoots when the ball is passed to him. rarely shoots off the dribble. his highest passing ratings were in phoenix.

he can swing the ball. he's not a creator but he'll swing
Where is your proof though? Where is your proof that when he comes off the bench he'll look to get the ball to other people just as much as himself? Is it his career somewhere that I'm missing?


my proof is 82games.com 56% assisted scoring in phoenix. while having 5% passer rating in each of those seasons. compared to blakes 11%. so like i said, barbosa isn't a passer but he's also not a black hole.

barbosa is a proven playoff bench performer. we would have been lucky to have someone average 10ppg in the playoffs. something barbosa has done for his career. he'd be an improvement. and he'd get more open shots then he's ever had

having said that its not a do or die move.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7501
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.