Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Gman1979 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:44 pm

wait didnt barbosa did nash wife? or was it someone else lol
Gman1979

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Both Barbo and Richardson did her
D.B. Cooper

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Everybody did her so we have limited options out there
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby 432J on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Weezy wrote:Eh, we could probably do better, but we could probably do worse as well, he's a better backup than anyone we currently have.

exactly. barbosa is without a doubt an upgrade over glock/ebanks. all 3 of those guys are
432J

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:22 pm

therealdeal wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:How about we just get all 3?

Sign and Trade for CJ Miles...let the Jazz take Steve Blake since they're lacking a back up PG to Mo Williams right now. And they love white players.

Sign and Trade for Meeks, using Josh McRoberts expiring K, as the Sixers need a back up PF.

Sign Barbosa for the vet's min or part of the MMLE (2M) for 1 year.

Barbosa
Meeks
Miles
Jamison
Hill

Hands down the best bench in the league.

Not bad, definitely not a bad idea. The only problem is that I think the Lakers are holding onto McRoberts because of the Dwightmare. He's a great fit for what they want.

Ah, i keep forgetting about the Dwightmare situation....I'm sure Lakers are holding onto both Blake and McRob for the Dwight trade since we'll need both their salaries to take back J-Rich and Duhon (or whoever else they wanna unload to us). But seriously, I'd much rather swap out McRoberts, Blake, Eyenga and Ebanks and bring in Barbosa, Meeks and Miles. I'd love for our bench to be relevant again and not blow 20 point leads that our starters would build up on the regular.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 pm

I don't disagree. A huge part of me is saying screw Orlando. No one in the NBA is going to wait all season long, costing themselves games, just to get to Dwight. We should just make the moves we need to, and when the time comes we'll see where the cards are at.

But that's why I'm not Mitch. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby the_Dude on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Nash's Wife Interested In Leandro Barbosa
the_Dude

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:11 pm

therealdeal wrote:I don't disagree. A huge part of me is saying screw Orlando. No one in the NBA is going to wait all season long, costing themselves games, just to get to Dwight. We should just make the moves we need to, and when the time comes we'll see where the cards are at.

Lol. Seriously. Mitch has got to be the most patient GM in the league to STILL be around while this circus is going on. This is classic Mitch at work....not getting emotional, and just waiting, waiting, waiting for the right moment to strike on the young Hennigan. He knows exactly what he's doing. Lakers will only use vet's minimum for any of these players....that's for sure. No S&T deals until Dwight is off the table.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:17 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I don't disagree. A huge part of me is saying screw Orlando. No one in the NBA is going to wait all season long, costing themselves games, just to get to Dwight. We should just make the moves we need to, and when the time comes we'll see where the cards are at.

Lol. Seriously. Mitch has got to be the most patient GM in the league to STILL be around while this circus is going on. This is classic Mitch at work....not getting emotional, and just waiting, waiting, waiting for the right moment to strike on the young Hennigan. He knows exactly what he's doing. Lakers will only use vet's minimum for any of these players....that's for sure. No S&T deals until Dwight is off the table.

I think the same applies for the mini-MLE. I remember reading somewhere that he was waiting to use that until the Lakers had already stopped making trades; basically they want to save it in case they need it to shore up holes after a Howard trade.

I feel like something HAS to happen here soon though. Either Howard gets traded or the Lakers just do what they have to do to field a better, more competitive team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby retro_nights on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Mitch has been talking to Orlando for over a year, maybe two. He has patience.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby recoveringusername on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Barbosa would be a solid addition to the bench. He's not what he used to be, but he is a legit 6th man still, that can come off the bench and put the basketball in the basket. Defense is another story...
Formally known as Black Sheep.
recoveringusername

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:18 am

I'd rather have Meeks, but Barbosa isn't a bad pickup for the minimum. He's still as quick as the Road Runner and it would mean less Blake, which I'm all for.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Looks like Barbosa wants money over a chance for a ring

Bill Ingram of HoopsWorld wrote:As NBA free agency goes through its death throes, one team keeps coming up as the last significant available players talk about where they might be willing to play in 2012-13. No, it’s not the Los Angeles Lakers, the Miami HEAT or the Brooklyn Nets. Surprisingly, the team that more and more players seem to want to play for is the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Why not? Kyrie Irving is one of the more intriguing young players in the league, Dion Waiters was certainly the talk of draft night and there is a young cast of players already in place that looks very much like the foundation of a perennial playoff team in the not-too-distant future.

That’s not the biggest reason why the Cavaliers are the talk of the remaining free agents, however. The reason why guys like Leandro Barbosa, Jon Leuer, Carlos Delfino and others want their names associated to talks with Cleveland is that the team has roughly $13.8 million in cap space, making them by far the biggest players left in the free agency game.

The Houston Rockets are second on the list, but they have roughly $10 million less in cap space, ringing in at $3.7 million, a distant second to Cleveland.

That number – $13.8 million – explains a great deal about what we’ve heard and what we will continue to hear between now and training camp. It’s why the Cavaliers were roped into several rounds of trade talks as the Orlando Magic sought possible destinations and asset packages for Dwight Howard. It’s also what’s behind today’s headline that Barbosa would like to play for Cleveland, even as the rumor mill is hopping with the possibility that the Lakers would like to sign him.

The telling part of the Barbosa/Cleveland story can be found in this snippet from Fox Sports Ohio: “And according to several sources close to Barbosa, he’d be more than willing to talk with the Cavs about a potential role. Those sources could not say, however, if the interest was mutual.”

Absolutely Barbosa would love to talk with the Cavaliers about their $13.8 million in cap space. The Lakers offer a better shot at a championship, but they have only a mini mid-level exception of $3.09 million and a traded player exception of $1.42 million from the Luke Walton trade. It’s pretty easy to do that math.

The telling part was at the end of that clip, where “sources” could not say if the Cavs are interested.

More than likely the “source” is either Barbosa himself, his agent, or someone in his circle. Someone who stands to benefit from Barbosa taking a bigger contract from the Cavs is putting that story out there in hopes that the Cavaliers might see it and give Barbosa a call.

Expect to see a lot more of this going on over the next few weeks leading up to training camp. Players like Barbosa, who are worth more than an exception, will want to attract the attention of the last remaining teams with cap space, and the Cleveland Cavaliers are at the very top of the heap.
JSM

Postby revgen on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:55 pm

JSM wrote:Looks like Barbosa wants money over a chance for a ring

Not surprised. He's not a vet min player.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Yes cavs yes... sign vets and give the young guys to orlando. Yes...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:10 pm

revgen wrote:

Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:15 pm

revgen wrote:

Neither is Jamison. We SHOULD be able to get non minimum veterans for the minimum though at this stage. We're a championship contender and added Nash to the equation. At the very least, we should be able to get some one year rentals from players not getting offers to their liking. Take the min for a year, let Nash triple your value, maybe take home a championship ring, and try to get paid next summer.
JSM

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:23 pm

JSM wrote:
revgen wrote:

Neither is Jamison. We SHOULD be able to get non minimum veterans for the minimum though at this stage. We're a championship contender and added Nash to the equation. At the very least, we should be able to get some one year rentals from players not getting offers to their liking. Take the min for a year, let Nash triple your value, maybe take home a championship ring, and try to get paid next summer.

Jamison is 36, Barbosa isn't even 30 yet. He's not anywhere near the end of his career like Antawn is. The sense or urgency for a ring for Antawn is at an all time high for him. Not the case for Barbosa.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:38 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Jamison is 36, Barbosa isn't even 30 yet. He's not anywhere near the end of his career like Antawn is. The sense or urgency for a ring for Antawn is at an all time high for him. Not the case for Barbosa.

Nate, someone who puts up similar numbers to the Brazilian Blur, signed for the minimum with Chicago. Brewer signed for the minimum with NY. Watson signed for the minimum with Brooklyn. They aren't near the end of their careers, but they all took one year, minimum deals cause teams weren't banging down their door and those situations offered them a good opportunity and they'll all hit free agency again next year, looking to cash in then. Two of them signed with playoff teams and Watson signed with a (should be) Eastern contender.
JSM

Postby jamabile on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:09 pm

^Agreed. I hope he signs with us. We need to see less of Blake; then maybe we acquire Meeks, and we're set. We need to address those needs; they're pressing. That would a bench of individuals who can create thier own shots and won't give up leads that the starters build.

Our bench only averaged 20.9 points last year while the opposition averaged 32.9. If our bench can score at least 28-32 points a game, we're good. We need production/depth in those areas to 1.) Limit minutes for Kobe/Nash 2.) Compete with some of the deeper teams in the league: OKC, Miami, Boston, etc...

Barbosa can certainly help in that regard and provide a change of pace for the offense. He can speed up the game and create some easy buckets. He also had his best averages when he was playing with Nash. I hope we do acquire him...
jamabile

Postby kblo247 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 pm

JSM wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:Jamison is 36, Barbosa isn't even 30 yet. He's not anywhere near the end of his career like Antawn is. The sense or urgency for a ring for Antawn is at an all time high for him. Not the case for Barbosa.

Nate, someone who puts up similar numbers to the Brazilian Blur, signed for the minimum with Chicago. Brewer signed for the minimum with NY. Watson signed for the minimum with Brooklyn. They aren't near the end of their careers, but they all took one year, minimum deals cause teams weren't banging down their door and those situations offered them a good opportunity and they'll all hit free agency again next year, looking to cash in then. Two of them signed with playoff teams and Watson signed with a (should be) Eastern contender.

How did signing for less work for Matt Brnes? He could have got twice as much from Cleveland. He chose us for a shot at a ring, and all he got was less money, a knee surgery, and two bad playoff runs thus lowering his value.

How did it work for Karl Malone? He got an incompetent medical evaluation that forced him into retirement ringless.

Sometimes it is smarter to secure your future. I mean sure if you're close to 40 like Jamison ad spent so long in lotto teas, you can think about it and even consider it, but you shouldn't when you are just about to hit 30.nate and CJ are no excuse either as CJ had one of the worst playoff runs for a pg when Rose went down, and Nate on top of being small just isn't liked in a lot of locker rooms for long as OKC paid him to go away
kblo247

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:33 pm

JSM wrote:

Not all young players are the same bro. Wish they were though.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JGC on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:00 am

kblo247 wrote:
JSM wrote:

How did signing for less work for Matt Brnes? He could have got twice as much from Cleveland. He chose us for a shot at a ring, and all he got was less money, a knee surgery, and two bad playoff runs thus lowering his value.

How did it work for Karl Malone? He got an incompetent medical evaluation that forced him into retirement ringless.

Sometimes it is smarter to secure your future. I mean sure if you're close to 40 like Jamison ad spent so long in lotto teas, you can think about it and even consider it, but you shouldn't when you are just about to hit 30.nate and CJ are no excuse either as CJ had one of the worst playoff runs for a pg when Rose went down, and Nate on top of being small just isn't liked in a lot of locker rooms for long as OKC paid him to go away

Yes, you're right. The only people it makes sense to take less for are the management of the team that would give you less and its fans.

There are but only a few players in this league that would be willing to take a pay cut, let alone a significant one, to win.

IMO, it's got to start from the top.

Nothing worse than a CEO making $3M per year plus bonuses cutting the pay of his factory workers by 20% to keep the business running.
JGC

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:00 pm

is it me or does barbosa look like he could be kobe's brother?

the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Congo Cash on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Barbosa only deserves the minimum because he SUCKS... The only reason I want him because our bench is still [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and it would mean less minutes for Steve Blake... But if he wants the mini-MLE or higher then [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] him...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion