Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Re: Lakers Interested In Leandro Barbosa?

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Congo Cash wrote:Barbosa only deserves the minimum because he SUCKS... The only reason I want him because our bench is still [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and it would mean less minutes for Steve Blake... But if he wants the mini-MLE or higher then [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] him...

He doesn't suck. Steve Blake SUCKS. Barbosa is a solid role player.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Alcindor on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 am

hollywood swinger wrote:is it me or does barbosa look like he could be kobe's brother?

It's you.
Alcindor

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 am

Lakers Eye Barbosa Amidst Strong Olympic Performance

Despite being in the middle of the slow period of the NBA offseason, the Los Angeles Lakers continue to explore any avenue to improve the team's roster -- the latest target being Brazilian star and current free agent Leandro Barbosa.

The 2012 London Olympic Games have been a welcome platform for the 2006-2007 NBA Sixth Man of the Year. He has led Brazil in scoring with 15 points per game through five games in London. With his offensive ability, he could be a welcome addition to the Lakers' NBA-worst bench (21.3 ppg) in 2011-2012.

While most of the United States is captivated by the Olympics and NBA fans follow the every move of Team USA, the Lakers' front office remains busy trying to put together the last pieces of the championship puzzle. They have seen how effective Barbosa has been with the talented Brazilian National Team.

After an offseason that has fans, opponents, and analysts all talking about how dangerous the Lakers will be next season given the acquisition of marquee free agents Steve Nash and Antawn Jamison and key role player Jordan Hill, Barbosa's name has come up as a final component needed to make the Lakers an elite team again.

What is it that he could bring to the table, and why has he drawn the Lakers' attention?

Strong International Play in London

Though the NBA game is vastly different from the FIBA rules used in international competition, the best players in the world have come together in London to showcase what they can do on the greatest of stages. The Lakers and other suitors have to like what they've seen from the combo guard.

Barbosa leads Brazil in scoring, but it's his emotional leadership and ability to perform when the stakes are high that bode well for him as a potential fit in Los Angeles where the mantra is championship-or-bust. The biggest concern for the Lakers is that his stock could climb above the veteran minimum that general manager Mitch Kupchak is willing to pay for remaining free agents.

Do the Lakers' Needs Match Barbosa's Skill Set?

As an undersized shooting guard, Barbosa has the ability to play the point guard position and will bring that versatility to his next team. Despite his size, he is a slasher and has the athleticism to get to the basket, something the Lakers were missing from the second unit in 2011-2012. He can also stretch the floor from the perimeter as he averaged 42.4 percent from the arc in 22 games with the Indiana Pacers.

The Lakers biggest needs are quickness, youth, and athleticism -- especially with the second unit. Barbosa has the ability to contribute in each of those areas as a scorer with a lot of good basketball left at age 29. With Jodie Meeks seemingly out of the Lakers' reach, Barbosa is another guard the Lakers could sign at a bargain and get exactly what they need.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/los-angele ... --nba.html
Kobe8Fan

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 am

give him mini MLE and dump McBob for a tpe.....if he wants more than we should pass. If only Blake wasn't here :mad1:
khmrP

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 am

Do it Mitch!!! :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 am

I'd much, much prefer Meeks. He's a much better fit. I'll be upset if he doesn't end up here...

But if the consolation prize is Barbosa I can be satisfied with that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:53 am

therealdeal wrote:I'd much, much prefer Meeks. He's a much better fit. I'll be upset if he doesn't end up here...

How is Meeks a better fit?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby LooN3y on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:59 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I'd much, much prefer Meeks. He's a much better fit. I'll be upset if he doesn't end up here...

because we still need outside shooting.

barbosa is good, but not that efficient, hes a scorer not a pure shooter and we cant expect him to make every open 3 he gets.

and this whole thing of being a solid role player, thats the same case with steve blake, he was a solid role player, and when he came here, he literally disappeared .

rather than have to go through all that again or if we do have to, i rather it being someone that has fresher legs. that can keep up the speed with some of the other younger guards on defense.

meeks isnt known for D but atleast hes younger. if we do get barbosa,i fully expect we get another vet at the 3 spot.

like a redd, t-mac or some sort
LooN3y

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:

Younger, more potential for growth, higher ceiling, and an equal shooter.

And whoopee Barbosa shot 42% in 22 games, but he shot 34% in the 144 games before that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 am

Barbosa would be a great pickup for us. We need all the shooters we can get. He does more than shoot though. He's quick, runs the floor well and is a good finisher at the rim. He'd do well with our personnel.
kray28

Postby BadCoaching on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:05 am

Barbosa is a terrible shooter. No thanks.
BadCoaching

Postby LooN3y on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 am

kray28 wrote:Barbosa would be a great pickup for us. We need all the shooters we can get. He does more than shoot though. He's quick, runs the floor well and is a good finisher at the rim. He'd do well with our personnel.

of course he does, but sharing the ball with kobe and the bigs, hes gonna have to shoot a lot of open 3's

the question is can he do it consistently.

wow when we got blake i had hoped it would be better since he had a better 3pt FG % but all it was, was the fact is that he doesnt shoot at all.

i much rather of had farmar just jack up 3's and actually make them rather than have steve blake wait 3 seconds everytime when he gets the ball and is open on the 3 pt line.

i mean how many momentum changes we could of had if he just tooken the open 3 and made it. honestly id rather give farmar or vujacic that open 3 game winner in that OKC series this past year.

its a whole lot of ifs and buts, but steve blake had no confidence and it showed during mid season the first season he signed with us.
LooN3y

Postby kray28 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:14 am

BadCoaching wrote:Barbosa is a terrible shooter. No thanks.

When he's asked to create his own shot, he's naturally not as effective. But in our system he'll get wide open looks all day long. We desperately need guys who can knock down those wide open shots.
kray28

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 am

kray28 wrote:

When he's asked to create his own shot, he's naturally not as effective. But in our system he'll get wide open looks all day long. We desperately need guys who can knock down those wide open shots.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:34 am

kray28 wrote:

So can Meeks who is younger and would like to prove himself in this league making him hungry.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:38 am

I'd rather have Bill Walker...47% FG, 38% 3 FG career shooter. Good defender. Can play SG/SF. Very feisty. Hes a bit temperamental but we could use someone like that.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby kray28 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:43 am

therealdeal wrote:
kray28 wrote:

So can Meeks who is younger and would like to prove himself in this league making him hungry.

Only thing Meeks seems hungry for is a bigger paycheck. I don't think he's going to sign for the money we're offering. Thing is, neither may Barbosa.
Last edited by kray28 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:48 am

Barbosa for the minimum is over a million dollars, it could actually be cheaper if we signed Meeks to part of the mini-MLE. It would just mean sacrificing a little flexibility for later by using the mini-MLE now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Whatthef? on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 pm

I get the feeling that Meeks will not pass up the extra couple of mil that will be offered by other teams. Barbosa may feel a ring is more important at this stage of his career.
Whatthef?

Postby LooN3y on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Whatthef? wrote:I get the feeling that Meeks will not pass up the extra couple of mil that will be offered by other teams. Barbosa may feel a ring is more important at this stage of his career.

yea meeks wants to get payed, who wouldnt. if you pass up on all those millions you might regret it later, especially when ur out of the league and u have to support your kids future n such and maintain your current standard of living
LooN3y

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:14 pm

LooN3y wrote:
Whatthef? wrote:I get the feeling that Meeks will not pass up the extra couple of mil that will be offered by other teams. Barbosa may feel a ring is more important at this stage of his career.

yea meeks wants to get payed, who wouldnt. if you pass up on all those millions you might regret it later, especially when ur out of the league and u have to support your kids future n such and maintain your current standard of living

they both trying to get paid, Barbosa doesn't look or sound like the ring chasing type and obviously Meeks from his agents mouth definetly aint taking min or a few hundred k over minimum.
khmrP

Postby jamabile on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:23 pm

So, I guess it's Meeks or Barbosa? No chance at getting both; that would be ideal, but I don't think it will happen. I would take Barbosa and gladly give him Blake's playing time or he can backup Kobe. The one thing we lacked last year was scoring.

For the entire year, we played 3 on 5 basketball. With a bench of Barbosa, Jamison, Hill, Blake, etc...hopefully that 21.3 points that the bench averaged last year can increase; it's clear we need an upgrade in the worst way. I wouldn't mind it. He can be a change of pace guard and push the basketballl with the 2nd unit.

We need more depth at those wing positions...
jamabile

Postby LooN3y on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:29 pm

khmrP wrote:
LooN3y wrote:

they both trying to get paid, Barbosa doesn't look or sound like the ring chasing type and obviously Meeks from his agents mouth definetly aint taking min or a few hundred k over minimum.

but hasnt barbosa made alot of money? lol i swear dudes been in the league for a while.

regardless of who we get, i still hope we can get a good back up 3, i dont trust late second round picks that the lakers have been gettin over the past 4 years
LooN3y

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:41 pm

HOLY CRAP! that crossover then the huge 3 in the Brazil-Argentina game was siiiiick! :jam2:

and that step back 3 in the last 20 secs after the game was over was nice too. we could def use his talents to back up kobe just to come in and create something. beat some guys off the dribble for a layup and the 3 ball too.

watching that game...he'd def be a solid backup for Kobe
Ariza3

Postby last stand on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:04 pm

We could do worse than barbosa
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba