Lakers Intrigued By Tyreke Evans?

Lakers Intrigued By Tyreke Evans?

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:18 pm

By Ailene Voisin
avoisin@sacbee.com

Tyreke Evans counts the number of guards on the Kings roster. He hears the persistent trade rumors. He remembers that his bosses refused to extend his contract last fall.

He also is miffed that the organization failed to arrange for a second opinion on his sore left knee, leaving his brothers and his agent to schedule a visit with Lakers orthopedist Dr. Steve Lombardo.

Without issuing any trade demands – that's not his style – Evans said he would be neither shocked nor devastated if he were sent elsewhere before the Feb. 21 deadline.

No tears. No fuss. No regrets.

No more pain. That's his main deal.

"The Kings need to do whatever they can to help the team win," said Evans, who played Monday after missing 11 games with soreness in his left knee. "I just want to go out there and play every night. That visit to (Lombardo)? That let me know that I wasn't totally wrong. I just need to get treated right. That was pretty much it."

These next several weeks will be interesting. Kings officials have no intention of trading center DeMarcus Cousins despite rampant speculation to the contrary.

Additionally, while Cousins' new agent, Dan Fegan, met with Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie earlier Monday and expressed concerns about the roster and the organization's direction, no trade demands were issued.

In terms of movable assets, salary cap considerations, and shaking up the roster, that means the next man up is Evans. Having passed last fall on offering an extension, the Kings next summer can tender a one-year, $6.9 million qualifying offer that would make their fourth-year veteran a restricted free agent.

The options would then include negotiating a new deal, allowing Evans to solicit other offers and matching the terms (a figure probably somewhere between $10 million and $12 million per season), or pursuing a sign-and-trade with another club.

Despite the Kings' assorted issues, among them an unbalanced roster that features an abundance of small guards, a lack of perimeter shooting and frontcourt shot blocking/rebounding, and the confounding inability to acquire a quality facilitator – and that remains issue No. 1 – Petrie can ill afford another damaging personnel move; there is never a time to panic.

Trading Evans for aging, declining veterans, or worse, for other players who hear "pass" and immediately think "four-letter word," would be an absolute arena emptier.

But the Kings should be – and they definitely are – willing to listen. Given the inordinate number of injuries suffered by players on contending teams, a healthy Evans will generate more interest by the day.

The Memphis Grizzlies, who are aggressively attempting to shed payroll and are shopping small forward Rudy Gay, have made inquiries. The Lakers and Denver Nuggets have long been intrigued. So have the Boston Celtics.

There is a major caveat here – health. What about that left knee?

Evans has complained of swelling and discomfort since colliding with Minnesota's Andrei Kirilenko on Nov. 27. An MRI revealed no structural damage. An exam and X-rays taken during his recent visit to Lombardo didn't reveal any loose bone chips or cartilage issues, either.

Yet Evans sat out 16 of 20 games before returning Monday night against the Grizzlies, delaying any potential deal and raising questions about his market value.

Asked whether he wanted to remain with the Kings or welcomed a trade, the soft-spoken Evans sounded receptive to either outcome. In a surprising admission, he also said his uncertain contract status led him to approach rehabilitation with unusual caution.

"Definitely," he said, forcefully. "That's why I sat out so many games. I wasn't going to come back until I was ready, near 100 percent. You have to think about that. But the knee feels good now, it doesn't hurt. I just want to get back out there and start playing like I can."

Getting the 6-foot-6, 220-pound Evans back into game shape is the first priority. He is noticeably thicker, and to use coach Keith Smart's word, was "panting" during his return against the Grizzlies.

Before colliding with the wiry Kirilenko, Evans was in exceptional shape and playing the best all-around basketball of his career.

After two ill-conceived seasons as a point guard and most of last season at small forward, he began to thrive at two-guard – cutting underneath, moving without the ball, defending the perimeter, scoring on quick hits and familiar court-length bursts.

No, whatever happens, Evans is an accomplished player. But an NBA star? That takes time and sustained excellence, and it requires proof of health. He has to stay on the court.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/09/510159 ... rylink=cpy
Kobe8Fan

Re: Lakers Intrigued By Tyreke Evans?

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

ill ship gasol for him. he can't shoot tho
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby Armani on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 pm

He doesn't space the floor. I am not sure if he will fit in with us well.
Armani

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 pm

All it said was that they've been interested, but getting him would be extremely difficult.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Volume shooter...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby thisbjgz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 pm

I would like to see the package involved first..I can't imagine if Lakers were going to make moves, it would just be for Evans.
thisbjgz

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 pm

:pipe:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Vlade_12 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:04 am

former UCLA kid Tyler Honeycutt for Ebanks for be the type of low key move I could see Mitch making. Honeycutt could be a good role player for us, but stuck on a young Kings team
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:35 am

Always liked Reke.. Not sure he's the answer but he could be a piece of it. I wouldn't mind shipping Pau for a package centered around Reke.
lakersin4

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:52 am

Armani wrote:He doesn't space the floor. I am not sure if he will fit in with us well.

He breaks down defenses though.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:53 am

Honestly, getting a small for a big would probably be our best move given our current roster.

Nash-Evans-Kobe-MWP-Howard is a pretty sick lineup.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Pau and others for him and Brooks.....i'd listen.

We could take Jimmer and that would be funny and awesome as well.
The Laker Link

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Another 1 way player .... pass
wcsoldier81

Postby davriver290 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Tyreke is pretty good at breaking down defenses. Since Kings are going to be sold and what-not, I'd package some of our PG's like Moriss and Duhon and Ebanks and etc... for Evans and Brooks.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

davriver290 wrote:Tyreke is pretty good at breaking down defenses. Since Kings are going to be sold and what-not, I'd package some of our PG's like Moriss and Duhon and Ebanks and etc... for Evans and Brooks.

The one thing the Kings need less of is guards and swingmen.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:
davriver290 wrote:Tyreke is pretty good at breaking down defenses. Since Kings are going to be sold and what-not, I'd package some of our PG's like Moriss and Duhon and Ebanks and etc... for Evans and Brooks.

The one thing the Kings need less of is guards and swingmen.

Yeah.. I could see them giving us Tyreke + Brooks + Filler for both Pau & Jamison + Filler. Their big rotation could use both of them. Not to mention, minus the small argument with MDA that MDA seemed to start, he's been an upstanding citizen on the subject of him not playing.. They need guys like that.
Last edited by lakersin4 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakersin4

Postby borri on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Isn't Evans a below average passer?
borri

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:51 pm

borri wrote:Isn't Evans a below average passer?

He averaged 5.8 assists on 1.92 AST/TO his rookie season & it only slightly declined the next season.. His assist numbers took a dive when they started asking him to play SF. He's been playing SG this season & they have a ton of PG's, I don't think passing is a big part of his role there. In any case he's still young enough to improve at 23 & only making 4.1M this season. I think he'd be a great addition.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Pau for Evans/Thornton/Brooks/Hayes and I'm in. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

pau+jamison+ebanks for evans+brooks+robinson
432J

Postby davriver290 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:43 pm

I doubt they'd give us thompson, I love that guy. He plays hard every single night..... Give me Chuck Hayes in there, at least he won't be a pansy in the post like Gasol has been lately...
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby The Rock on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:52 pm

We can have Evans come off the bench like Jamal Crawford, he needs the ball a lot.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Waive Morris and Ebanks.

Trade Gasol for Evans/Salmons/Brooks

Nash/Brooks/Duhon
Evans/Meeks
Bryant/Salmons
Jamison/Clark
Howard/Sacre

Once Hill gets back, he'll start and Sacre will pop out of the rotation in favor of small ball with Jamison/Clark.

For the record, I don't like it :man10:

I picked Salmons because he's non guranteed for 2014/2015 (our rebuild) and he's got a back loaded contract, so he's expensive but manageable.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm

^^^

I like Salmons and also Garcia from the Queens. Vets who can produce under the limelight. Those 2 would considerably solidify our bench. Considerably.
borri

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Yeah Salmons contract is needed to make the deal work and he's a decent body to have around. He's not a terribly efficient shooter overall, but he's shooting 38% from deep this season and he always chips in a few other things like rebounds and assists a game.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion