Lakers looking to add Lebron as Kobe's heir in 2014?

Re: Lakers looking to add Lebron as Kobe's heir in 2014?

Postby Aonex on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:02 am

JSM wrote:Image

I'm with you.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:03 am

West wrote:From what I know/remember of the CBA...

1. If James opts out to sign with a team other then MIA, James WAY gets less money (less year(s)). Strike one against LAL.

2. If James demands a trade to LAL after opting out (via S&T), Riles will NEVER trade him to Mitch. NEVER. Strike two.

3. If James demands a trade to LAL before the deadline (ala D12 to BRK), LAL won't have the moving pieces of value to get it done. Strike three.

Of course, both Riles and Mitch are ninjas... so... who really knows.

1) He has already signed for less than Max before (his current tenure in Miami)

2) Either way he's opting out, hes gonna test free agency or he can re-sign in that summer of 2014 for a bigger contract to stay in Miami. $$ from re-signing > $$ in extension any ways.

3) Yea we dont have the pieces to trade for him but we can sign him outright as a FA. We already have Dwight locked up, add Lebron and add one more border line all star that is available in that year's free agency like Andre Iguodala or Kyle Lowry. We know Dwight will be recruiting too

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:18 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:He will opt out. I guarantee it. More money. Longer contract. It's just smart business.

Umm, no. He makes more money through endorsements than basketball. What's most important for him is winning rings. If the Heat are still winning rings after 2014, no way would he opt out.

Umm, yes. Kobe makes more money from endorsements than basketball, but that doesn't mean he's not the highest paid player in the league.

LeBron isn't getting a true max contract right now and that doesn't fly with anyone who is as talented and successful as he has been. He said before he wanted to be the highest paid player ever, well that starts with basketball. He's opting out regardless of the circumstances because he can re-sign in Miami for a lot more dough or he can go elsewhere and get a true max contract.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:25 am

revgen wrote:Kobe didn't say 2 years. He said 2 or 3 years. It could be 2014 or 2015.

But Kobe coming back on the Lakers would mean we would have his Bird Rights, in turn, means any contract we sign him to no matter how much it is, is not limited by the cap? A la (MLE/mini-MLE)?

If Wade and Lebron end their contracts and Kobe resigns...

Wade
Kobe
Lebron
filler
Howard.

:man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:28 am

LeBron is the best player in the league right now by a good margin. If we can get him than its a no brainer decision. People didn't like Dwight very much before we got him and now obviously everyone does and rightfully so.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby rockorego on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:35 am

While we're at it why not add kevin durant name to the pot.

chris paul
kobe bryant
kevin durant
lebron james
dwight howard

THE NEW SUPER FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
rockorego

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:43 am

If Im going to dream about a top player coming here in a couple years, it'd easily be KD over Lebron for me personally, and yeah I know it'll get dismissed as hate by many (which it isn't, maybe a little 'Horns bias though).

Lebron's developed his game considerably, but it still all starts with him being stronger, faster and more athletic than everyone else. Obviously he wont fall off a cliff two years from now, but when the athletic decline does happen, it will have a much bigger impact on Lebron's than it will when it eventually happens to KD.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:52 am

Tobias Funke wrote:If Im going to dream about a top player coming here in a couple years, it'd easily be KD over Lebron for me personally, and yeah I know it'll get dismissed as hate by many (which it isn't, maybe a little 'Horns bias though).

Lebron's developed his game considerably, but it still all starts with him being stronger, faster and more athletic than everyone else. Obviously he wont fall off a cliff two years from now, but when the athletic decline does happen, it will have a much bigger impact on Lebron's than it will when it eventually happens to KD.

This.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby retro_nights on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 am

Honestly, Kobe won't take less money if hes coming back for another year after his contract is up. He'll want at least 10-15 million. AT LEAST.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby revgen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:02 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
revgen wrote:Kobe didn't say 2 years. He said 2 or 3 years. It could be 2014 or 2015.

But Kobe coming back on the Lakers would mean we would have his Bird Rights, in turn, means any contract we sign him to no matter how much it is, is not limited by the cap? A la (MLE/mini-MLE)?

If Wade and Lebron end their contracts and Kobe resigns...

Wade
Kobe
Lebron
filler
Howard.

Hey, we can all dream can't we? :man12:
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am

The Rock wrote:Can you imagine if Pau, Nash and Kobe took role player salaries for one last year...

Nash
Kobe
Lebron
Pau
Dwight

:man3: That's not even fair. Mark Cuban's head would explode from rage is this happened :man10:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:If Im going to dream about a top player coming here in a couple years, it'd easily be KD over Lebron for me personally, and yeah I know it'll get dismissed as hate by many (which it isn't, maybe a little 'Horns bias though).

I don't think that's even true. LeBron's game goes far beyond just athleticism and pushing people out of his way. He is way way skilled
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Center Court on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:44 pm

this is an obvious plan... not sure why people in the media are acting like "WOW, look at how smart they are"

Fact is that Buss/Mitch always keep the Lakers contending while eyeing the next dynasty. People forget, Lerbon could be a Laker right now. Mitch had us positioned to be a major player in 2010 when in the FA extravaganza. Then Pau and 2 titles came along.

Now we have Kobe/Dwight/Pau/Nash to complete for a ring for 2-3 years and then again it will be time for the next great dynasty.
Center Court

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Shocked? Nope. Likely to happen? I have doubt. Want it to? I'd be happy for it but meh, not to say he's not good but something about him on the Lakers doesn't seem likely so, I don't know.
The Laker Link

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't disagree, but the likelihood of KD coming here is much less than LeBron. KD seems to me like one of the old school guys in that he wants to build his own legacy. I don't see him ever leaving OKC unless some drastic stuff happens.

And even if drastic stuff DID happen, isn't he on contract far beyond 2014?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:

I don't disagree, but the likelihood of KD coming here is much less than LeBron. KD seems to me like one of the old school guys in that he wants to build his own legacy. I don't see him ever leaving OKC unless some drastic stuff happens.

Durant is on contract till 2016.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:53 pm

^ Then there you go. 2016 is another story, but let's see who's available in 2014 first.

If LeBron is available in 2014, you got to try to get him. Then in 2015 you focus on a guard.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:59 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:I don't think that's even true. LeBron's game goes far beyond just athleticism and pushing people out of his way. He is way way skilled

Im not sure how my post comes off as me saying that his game is just about athleticism and pushing people out of his way. Shaq was very skilled, and it doesn't take away from that fact if someone said his game all started with his obvious physical advantages over his opponents.

Either way, I still think that athletic decline will have a bigger impact on Lebron's game than Durant's.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby GinoDB on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

OKC's players and its team are in sort of a honeymoon phase right now, eventually they will have to win a championship or lose Durant . but OKC is clouded in optimism right now so its hard to imagine
GinoDB

Postby purp n gold on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm

This is the thing: LeBron is still getting better (and will continue to) by way of fundamentals and technique. So yes I want him on this team in a few years...
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby venky on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:LeBron is the best player in the league right now by a good margin. If we can get him than its a no brainer decision. People didn't like Dwight very much before we got him and now obviously everyone does and rightfully so.

[Citation needed]
venky

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 pm

therealdeal wrote:I don't disagree, but the likelihood of KD coming here is much less than LeBron. KD seems to me like one of the old school guys in that he wants to build his own legacy. I don't see him ever leaving OKC unless some drastic stuff happens.

Well Im not saying we should say pass on Lebron and wait on KD if the opportunity to get James came up, moreso me stating my thought process for which top player Id most likely want on the team in two years.

All a long ways away though ofcourse.

Tobias Funke

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:27 pm

venky wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:LeBron is the best player in the league right now by a good margin. If we can get him than its a no brainer decision. People didn't like Dwight very much before we got him and now obviously everyone does and rightfully so.

[Citation needed]

Please you were one of those people too as was myself. I have no problem admitting that. I didn't like Howard before we got him because I didn't think he wanted to be a Laker. That was my issue with him. He found the error of his ways and realized the Lakers were his best chance at winning a championship and now I love the guy.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby venky on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
venky wrote:

[Citation needed]

Please you were one of those people too as was myself. I have no problem admitting that. I didn't like Howard before we got him because I didn't think he wanted to be a Laker. That was my issue with him. He found the error of his ways and realized the Lakers were his best chance at winning a championship and now I love the guy.

I still am. Something about Dwight rubs me the wrong way. I started disliking him when he put up that circus act in Orlando. While I think someday I'll be able to stand Dwight, I will never like LeBron, even if he became a Laker.
venky

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:32 pm

The Rock wrote:Can you imagine if Pau, Nash and Kobe took role player salaries for one last year...

Nash
Kobe
Lebron
Pau
Dwight

No. I''m sorry I can't imagine that...... My brain is just unable to process that kind of scenario because of how devastating it would be to not only the NBA but the human population that exists on this planet.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion