Lakers looking to add Lebron as Kobe's heir in 2014?

Re: Lakers looking to add Lebron as Kobe's heir in 2014?

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:44 pm

That part about CP3 is interesting cause I was just thinking the other day after Gasol looked somewhat ho-hum in the 3rd preseason game that if at the end of this season Gasol doesn't look like he's hungry anymore for a ring, you have to start looking to the future. Nash will be 39 and will have 2 more seasons with the Lakers, but that is an area that you need to look at. Obviously there is Kobe and his possible retirement so you don't want to send Kobe out pissed about traded Gasol...and we know that CP3 and Kobe get along. Also CP3 was a bulls-eye of ours, so why wouldn't we revisit such a scenario....we did trade Gasol once before for dude, so its entirely plausible we can do it again.

The super tax will kick in next season and alot of teams that don't have the deep pockets LA has will want to clear up cap if they are close to being a super-tax offender. Taking on Gasol's 20+ M expiring deal would be huge for any organization that is interested in avoiding any future tax hit. Maybe the Clips participate and if not, we go find another team that can take on some bad contracts along with some picks.

Meanwhile, LA gets CP3 and pairs him with Nash in the backcourt. You move Kob to the 3, with either Jamison or Hill at the 4 and D12 at the 5. We go small ball and with our speed and athleticism on the frontline, we should be really good defensively and offensively, you replace a very good passing big man in Pau for a guy like CP3 that can take on more minutes at the 1, to limit Nash's minutes, but is still tough enough to play the 2 spot. Alot of people might think that there isn't enough basketball to go around with Nash and CP3 in the backcourt, but I think we get so much more scarier offensively if we still employ a motion offense like the Princeton.

By the time Bron becomes available Kobe might have won 2 rings and Nash will be ready to come off the books in a year's time. But at least you get a good 1-2 punch for the future with Dwight and CP3 on the books...and remember that LA wanted this scenario from the jump.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:45 pm

venky wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
venky wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:LeBron is the best player in the league right now by a good margin. If we can get him than its a no brainer decision. People didn't like Dwight very much before we got him and now obviously everyone does and rightfully so.

[Citation needed]

Please you were one of those people too as was myself. I have no problem admitting that. I didn't like Howard before we got him because I didn't think he wanted to be a Laker. That was my issue with him. He found the error of his ways and realized the Lakers were his best chance at winning a championship and now I love the guy.

I still am. Something about Dwight rubs me the wrong way. I started disliking him when he put up that circus act in Orlando. While I think someday I'll be able to stand Dwight, I will never like LeBron, even if he became a Laker.

Well that's fine man you don't have to like our players just root for them to do well in a Lakers uniform. I haven't liked all of our players. Hell I can't stand one of our players on the roster right now in Steve Blake, but that's probably because he sucks so bad. :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:32 pm

I feel like if he does come to LA then people will definitely complain that the Lockout did nothing and the big teams get the big names.

I would like him on the Lakers, I just feel like such a thing will be weird and make things annoying in some way. And it is really weird to feel that way because, WHO WOULDN'T WANT LEBRON? Dwight and LeBron would be crazy.
The Laker Link

Postby SK8 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:55 pm

The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 pm

No thanks to LeBron......PASS!!!!!!!!!!!
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:59 pm

I don't understand why we're looking this far ahead, I'm not going to, I'd rather enjoy the now, because dreaming of the future is one thing, but greatness in the now is much better when appreciated while it's here. Will we get LeBron? I don't know right now, I don't care right now. We have Kobe, Dwight, Nash, and Pau right now, I'm proud of our franchise for putting that together and I'm going to enjoy it, going to try and especially enjoy Kobe's final years because once he's gone we'll miss seeing that greatness like people did when Magic retired. Again, I don't get why people want to look this far ahead right now, why can we never just enjoy right now? Oh and I don't want LeBron, call me a hater or whatever you like, I want guys on my team I like and would enjoy rooting for, I don't want LeBron just like at no point did I ever want Paul Pierce.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby retro_nights on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:02 pm

we look ahead because we all want to be mini gm's as fans.

also because all GM's and teams look ahead, and if they aren't, then they aren't doing their jobs right.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:15 pm

That's fine, the GM should be looking ahead, but as a fan I don't need to be, I just want to enjoy now. To be talking about all these stars we could or will get in the future to me seems so spoiled, so unappreciative of what we have in front of us right now. It's like sure we have this amazing team now, but that's not enough, let's talk about what an amazing team we could have in 3 years. My only care right now is winning the championship THIS season, that is not guaranteed, we're not guaranteed a single one with this roster no matter how good it is. I don't want to be thinking about getting the guy who will most likely be in our way to a championship this season, a few years from now, he's the enemy.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Weezy wrote:To be talking about all these stars we could or will get in the future to me seems so spoiled, so unappreciative of what we have in front of us right now.

What we have in front of us right now is Ronnie Aguilar and Reeves Nelson.

Once the preseason is over, these threads will disappear.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Kasumi on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm

revgen wrote:Once the preseason is over, these threads will disappear.

I might think that's true, but the hoopla leading up to "The Decision" indicates that it will only increase over the next two years. Again. Blah.

Personally, I don't want him on the Lakers. He took less money to go to Miami to win a championship, being willing to take a backseat to Wade. His next team option, now that he has a ring, will be about money and the spotlight. He'll demand the max and demand to be top dog without having that same fire for winning - not exactly features that we want in LA. Kobe wanted the money and the spotlight, but no has ever doubted his fire or his desire to win.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:04 pm

This thing has legs...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lakers-374987-buss-free.html

EL SEGUNDO – I sat down with Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss on Wednesday for nearly an hour, and one of the clear revelations was just how excited Buss is about the Lakers contending for the NBA championship in 2014, not just this season and next.

"We purposely ended all contracts that year," Buss said. "I can't talk about Kobe (Bryant), but this is what he signed till. So basically we put everything to that, and we want to make a big splash in the free-agent market if we get to that spot. So we designed the contracts and the players and our future all around that."

That makes for a completely viable scenario wherein Bryant retires in 2014 – and LeBron James signs a free-agent contract to replace him on the Lakers' marquee.

One day after I spoke with Buss (longer profile piece coming in the Sunday paper), Miami-based writer and longtime LeBron tracker Brian Windhorst coincidentally was also looking ahead and reporting: "Several teams' executives have told ESPN.com they believe the Lakers are positioning themselves to make a run at LeBron James in 2014, when the Miami Heat star can choose to become a free agent."

No doubt.

Buss specifically did not mention anyone by name and wouldn't be allowed to because of NBA tampering rules. Yet if Bryant steps aside, the Lakers envision having a re-signed Dwight Howard with Steve Nash in the final year of his new contract and some new, incredibly potent blood.

"Yeah, depending on the free agents that year," Buss said. "We would basically, money-wise, be able to sign the top free agent – maybe even two. I don't know the numbers exactly, because we're not privy to what the cap is and how much room we have, but it's going to be close to two of the top free agents that year."

It's not just all eggs in James' basket, as other stars such as James' Miami teammates Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh and New York's Carmelo Anthony could be free agents in 2014. Other big-name players who could be unsigned then (besides Bryant and Pau Gasol) are Dirk Nowitzki, Amar'e Stoudemire, Paul Pierce, Tim Duncan, John Wall, Danny Granger, Luol Deng, Rudy Gay, Andre Iguodala, Monta Ellis and Andrea Bargnani.

The Lakers' scenario could be put on a hold a year also if James doesn't opt out of his Heat contract in 2014. He, Wade and Bosh all have opportunities to opt out in 2015 again before their contracts expire in 2016. Some potential 2015 free agents are Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kyrie Irving, Tony Parker and Anthony.

If Bryant, then 36, is amenable to returning in 2014, the Lakers' changes could be put on hold a year for that reason, too. Or Bryant could return at a heavily discounted rate that might allow the Lakers still to sign James or another new star to team with Bryant, Howard and Nash.

The possibilities are enough to make a Lakers fan dizzy – even before possible champagne bottles are opened with Bryant, Gasol, Howard and Nash these upcoming two seasons.

Buss said it had been "a little scary" to contemplate beyond two seasons ... until the acquisition of Howard.

"Because if we don't win championships (in 2013 and '14), we basically failed," Buss said. "But with Dwight hopefully wanting to stay with the Lakers, we feel our horizon is bright."

Buss had his eye on James as far back in 2005, when the Lakers were structuring the payroll for the possibility that James, Yao Ming and Stoudemire would not re-sign with their teams before 2007 free agency. Those scenarios didn't come to pass, but the Lakers are the masters when it comes to figuring out ways to cycle and recycle toward titles.

The post-Kobe incarnation of the Lakers might be the slickest turn of them all.

The new collective bargaining agreement is largely meant to shut off the Lakers' flowing spigot. Off-the-charts luxury-tax penalties kick in come 2014 for clubs who've been taxpayers for three of the previous four years. The Lakers basically have no choice but to duck under the tax threshold in '14 and '15, theoretically meaning they shouldn't continue to contend with suddenly light payrolls.

But Buss and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak are still ready and able to be the best. They should have a then-28-year-old Howard anchoring a suddenly low-payroll yet again high-expectation team in 2014.

"With Dwight Howard now, the future's so bright," Buss said. "If he re-signs with us, the future is so bright that now we can start looking into the three, four or five years from now and say, 'OK, we're again going toward championships.' "

Had the Lakers not traded Andrew Bynum for Howard, Buss said the same approach would've been in place by re-signing Bynum: "The plan was Andrew would carry us." Buss acknowledged, though, that the sun rising again in '14 isn't as cloudy with Bynum's clunky knee brace out of the picture.

Asked whether Howard's acquisition – pending him re-signing this summer – could be described as a "relief" for the future, Buss paused. He views it more as the Lakers doing what they do, preparing their chess moves well before their turns come up.

"It was a game plan, and to me, it came to fruition," Buss said. "So 'relief' might be a word, but more 'excitement.' I'm excited about the future – not only these two years, but moving forward. Very excited."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Is this going to be the Lebron James discussion thread?
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Juronimo on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Balance&Options24 wrote:Is this going to be the Lebron James discussion thread?

only if it gets to 700+ pages.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:15 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm

I think what he was really saying was that it was the plan to be free to pursue free agents aggressively after Kobe retires. LeBron opting out in 2014 would be the get in this scenario, but whomever the free agent was in 2014 would have been the target, not necessarily LeBron.

Then again, it's the Lakers. Getting the best player just happens.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:59 pm

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:02 pm

All in all and even though I agree that we as fans should just be getty about this year and next I can't help but get excited like Jim Buss is about our opportunities going forward. Mitch has really done a fantastic job of not just getting all this talent this year, but setting him and the Lakers up perfect in 2014 or 2015 to pursure not just one big time free agent but a couple.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Ellis and LeBron? Can it be done?
The Laker Link

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:All in all and even though I agree that we as fans should just be getty about this year and next I can't help but get excited like Jim Buss is about our opportunities going forward. Mitch has really done a fantastic job of not just getting all this talent this year, but setting him and the Lakers up perfect in 2014 or 2015 to pursure not just one big time free agent but a couple.

I agree. I'm insanely happy about this season, but part of my excitement is thinking how well we're set up for the next step as well.

I'm going to treasure these moments as they come. But I'm going to keep track of the perimeter as well. I'm going to keep an eye out on who's going to be available in 2014 and 2015.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm

:man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby CornMonkey on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't understand why we're looking this far ahead, I'm not going to, I'd rather enjoy the now, because dreaming of the future is one thing, but greatness in the now is much better when appreciated while it's here. Will we get LeBron? I don't know right now, I don't care right now. We have Kobe, Dwight, Nash, and Pau right now, I'm proud of our franchise for putting that together and I'm going to enjoy it, going to try and especially enjoy Kobe's final years because once he's gone we'll miss seeing that greatness like people did when Magic retired. Again, I don't get why people want to look this far ahead right now, why can we never just enjoy right now? Oh and I don't want LeBron, call me a hater or whatever you like, I want guys on my team I like and would enjoy rooting for, I don't want LeBron just like at no point did I ever want Paul Pierce.

+1

Yeah it's nice to dream about the possibilities, because dreaming puts a smile on our face. But what the Lakers have right now isn't a dream, it's reality. And you know what? This reality puts an even bigger smile on my face.

Until LeChoke officially says "I'm opting out in 2014," this will be yet another pipe dream that won't ever come true.
CornMonkey

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Lebron & Melo would be pretty crazy.. We would get some extremely efficient scoring.. melo-bron-dwight would run teams to death.. Imagine Kobe, Nash. & Pau all coming back on 1 year contracts for as long as we continue to win rings
lakersin4

Postby live and die in LA on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Lebron in a Lakers uniform? I pray that day never happens.
live and die in LA

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 pm

live and die in LA wrote:Lebron in a Lakers uniform? I pray that day never happens.

Yeah having the three best players in the league (LeBron, Dwight, and Kobe if he's still playing) would be horrible.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Wow just heard Sportscenter throwing this all out there with the details of who comes off Lakers books at that time and the whole bit. Really.....guys at the "mothership", you're going to run that out there 2 years in advance because some writer says it makes sense????????
LTLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion