Lakers Micro-News

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:02 pm

In a season filled with injuries, forwards Johnson and Jordan Hill lead the Lakers in games played, with each appearing in 55 of the team's 56 games.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... z2uMVJOpTe
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Ramona Shelburne on who Lakers would choose if they fired D'Antoni

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles ... d=10516791

"The Lakers' plan has been for the last 2 years is to field a team that's going to compete and not embarrass anybody. The Lakers' plan is to be competitive... (Mason and Willard mentioned that won't happen because of Mike D'Antoni and suggests the Lakers give their fans some hope and hire Byron Scott as head coach)... Actually I think if the Lakers were to move on they would go with somebody like George Karl or Lionel Hollins, both those guys are still available."
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:07 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:Ramona Shelburne on who Lakers would choose if they fired D'Antoni

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles ... d=10516791

"The Lakers' plan has been for the last 2 years is to field a team that's going to compete and not embarrass anybody. The Lakers' plan is to be competitive... (Mason and Willard mentioned that won't happen because of Mike D'Antoni and suggests the Lakers give their fans some hope and hire Byron Scott as head coach)... Actually I think if the Lakers were to move on they would go with somebody like George Karl or Lionel Hollins, both those guys are still available."


^^ Best news I've heard all season if so. I wouldn't mind either of those guys, Karl or Hollins. I'd prefer Hollins though. Both are good coaches and superior to Antoni.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Oh geez, please god NO george karl!!!! I'm way down for Lionel Hollins...he's exactly the kind of no nonsense coach that we need. He'll teach all these young athletic guys a thing or two about DEFENSE.
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11764
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby kray28 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:Oh geez, please god NO george karl!!!! I'm way down for Lionel Hollins...he's exactly the kind of no nonsense coach that we need. He'll teach all these young athletic guys a thing or two about DEFENSE.


I'd take Hollins over Karl too, but I don't think Karl would be a bad choice. He led the Nuggets to 57 wins last year.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21241
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Steve Kyler: Laker president Jeanie Buss says the pending merger of Comcast/Time Warner is a concern, because they may have to work with new people
Buss recalled how much time and how much effort was put into crafting a deal with Time Warner and that the spirit of the deal could change


BTW, saw a related video on this topic (warning: mature language):
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13008
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby jbiggs on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:12 am

^^ lmao :man10: although i will say it is a bit of a concern than jeannie is even bringing it up...
420
KOBE FOR LIFE
User avatar
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator
 
Posts: 2987
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:31 am
Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:48 am

Vasashi17 wrote:
Steve Kyler: Laker president Jeanie Buss says the pending merger of Comcast/Time Warner is a concern, because they may have to work with new people
Buss recalled how much time and how much effort was put into crafting a deal with Time Warner and that the spirit of the deal could change


BTW, saw a related video on this topic (warning: mature language):


Reminds me of the hilarious video about the "honey badger" except that has a really prissy dude narrating and the catch phrase was the honey badger doesn't give a sh(o)t. Replace o with correct letter.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6487
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:58 am

^ S***
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 am

Ron gave an interview recently, here are the Laker parts......

On the Lakers' air-it-out meeting in Memphis last season: "Kobe was furious and he just wanted things to change, and him and Dwight [Howard] at the time wasn’t clicking. I think Dwight would take it too personal because Kobe is like very direct and Kobe gives you, like, a chance to show who you are. Not necessarily produce, but just to show who you are. Kobe wants to see you out there on the court, and he wants to see you like an attack dog. A smart attack dog. Show that you have heart. Show you care. He wants to see it right away."

On Howard's limitations as an offensive player: "That’s where I had an issue with Dwight sometimes because he’s strong and he can rebound, he can block shots, he can dunk. But his moves are not polished yet. So to want the ball every time … we’re going to give it to you, because the franchise called for that, but he isn’t going to score."

On Pau Gasol: "He just looks like he’s breaking down, but I don’t think he is. He runs like he’s broken down, but I think he’s healthy."


On Lakers rookie Ryan Kelly's potential: "He’s stronger than Kevin Durant was when he came in [the league] and can do basically the same things, but he has to start [training] now."

On his nickname for Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni: "Michelangelo."


On his time with Kobe Bryant and the Lakers: "I owe a lot of my career to Kobe. I got that ring."
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:17 am

Ron is awesome :bow:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
User avatar
KareemTheGreat33

 
Posts: 7839
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby TIME on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:28 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Ron is awesome :bow:


Yeah, pretty much. :jam2:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:13 am

I'd love if Ron was involved with the Lakers.

Definitely not as a player anymore, but in some capacity. I think he'd actually do a pretty good job as a player development coach.

And the Ryan Kelly thing... :man10: What?? What a strange comparison...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby abeer3 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:20 am

probably out of context on kelly? only thing i can figure. he is correct that a big knock on kelly was physical strength and footspeed for his position (pf), and those were potential knocks on durant at sf. so maybe ron's saying these potential limitations can be overcome, not that kelly is like durant in any other way.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10407
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:29 am

Maybe it was a joke or something...

I do like Kelly and I hope he's around next year but... :man10: I can't help but smile at things like that. Ron is awesome.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby shoe on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:20 am

Who needs Durant in 2016. We got Ryan Kelly :jam2:
Image
User avatar
shoe

 
Posts: 5884
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:53 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:08 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Ron is awesome :bow:
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11701
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:56 am

From Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times: "For financial reasons, the Lakers currently plan to keep him next season, The Times has learned, eating the remainder of his contract ($9.7 million) in one swoop instead of waiving him and spreading the money out over three years."

Nash is hoping to fully recover from the nerve root irritation that has hindered him the entire season. If that doesn't happen, the Lakers may waive Nash. He has said he will retire, if the Lakers do release him before the completion of the 2014-15 season.

Bresnahan also reports the Lakers will bring back Kendall Marshall next season. This is expected as Marshall has played well since he signed with Los Angeles and his $915,243 salary for 2014-15 is not guaranteed.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:08 am

therealdeal wrote:I'd love if Ron was involved with the Lakers.

Definitely not as a player anymore, but in some capacity. I think he'd actually do a pretty good job as a player development coach.

And the Ryan Kelly thing... :man10: What?? What a strange comparison...


Yeah :man3: :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6487
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:17 am

Doc Brown wrote:
From Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times: "For financial reasons, the Lakers currently plan to keep him next season, The Times has learned, eating the remainder of his contract ($9.7 million) in one swoop instead of waiving him and spreading the money out over three years."

Nash is hoping to fully recover from the nerve root irritation that has hindered him the entire season. If that doesn't happen, the Lakers may waive Nash. He has said he will retire, if the Lakers do release him before the completion of the 2014-15 season.

Bresnahan also reports the Lakers will bring back Kendall Marshall next season. This is expected as Marshall has played well since he signed with Los Angeles and his $915,243 salary for 2014-15 is not guaranteed.

Why not waive him this summer?

Would his salary still count against the cap?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby jlkr on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
From Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times: "For financial reasons, the Lakers currently plan to keep him next season, The Times has learned, eating the remainder of his contract ($9.7 million) in one swoop instead of waiving him and spreading the money out over three years."

Nash is hoping to fully recover from the nerve root irritation that has hindered him the entire season. If that doesn't happen, the Lakers may waive Nash. He has said he will retire, if the Lakers do release him before the completion of the 2014-15 season.

Bresnahan also reports the Lakers will bring back Kendall Marshall next season. This is expected as Marshall has played well since he signed with Los Angeles and his $915,243 salary for 2014-15 is not guaranteed.

Why not waive him this summer?

Would his salary still count against the cap?

Yes it will whether he is on the roster or not. The medical retirement ship has sailed. So they may as well let him try it one more time. If he does get waived next season, I think they do it before the trade deadline.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
User avatar
jlkr

 
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: your friendly neighborhood bar

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:32 am

I figured. I just don't understand the waiving. Why bother? To save money I guess but at this point I feel like it'd be a waste. The right thing to do would be to just wait it out and let him expire. Screw it. You've gone this far and the last thing we need is the bad publicity with waiving a former MVP, right?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Home / Headlines / Henry: I Would Love to Stay With Lakers
Henry: I Would Love to Stay With Lakers
By Basketball Insiders |

Updated: April 3, 2014
For someone on a one-year deal, (Lakers’ Xavier) Henry understands there’s no urge to force him to play through these injuries. He easily could fix the wrist and rest the knee, and yet Lakers’ coaches and teammates recognize his loyalty to the staff that gave him a chance to earn a lasting position and merit another contract.

“If the Lakers want me back, I would love to be back,” Henry told RealGM. “I love it here, love playing on this team, and we have a great organization. It’s been eye-opening for me, and I enjoy it. You always have two sides of things – I can’t always control whatever I want to in free agency.

via Shams Charania of RealGM


Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/henry ... EWTFS4O.99


Example A of guy that wants to be here next season.

Meeks Wants to Return to Lakers
By Basketball Insiders |
Tweet1 Share1 Reddit0 Share2
Updated: April 3, 2014
Now the question for (Lakers guard Jodie) Meeks is whether the Lakers will be the beneficiary of all that improvement moving forward, or if he’ll bring his shooting stroke and reliable outlook somewhere else when he becomes a free agent this summer.

“Definitely, I want to stay, but it’s a business,” Meeks said. “So, both sides of the party, it will be interesting to see what happens. … I’ll just kind of play the waiting game.”

via Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles

Read more at http://www.basketballinsiders.com/meeks ... uDtMSLs.99


Example B of guy that wants to get paid and not piss anyone off.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 pm

This is why I want X and Young to stay. Great attitude, great locker room presence, fans love them and they really play hard to the best of their ability. They bring things our team desperately needs, except that

1. we need them to get 100% healthy and
2. they need to come off the bench and dominate

You can't expect to start guys like Marhsall, Young, X and Kelly and be a deep playoff team. But off the bench, these guys are truly special and the chemistry is there too. We do have an amazing bench already, and all these players should be fairly cheap, on average. The problem is with the starters. Kobe won't carry us as much anymore, although his veteran presence is still amazing; next, we need to sign a quality big/wing and we need to get lucky (really lucky) in the draft. If we can do all that, then we have a very serious team that can gel next year and is actually fun to watch:

Young star, crafty veteran, dynamic new wing, anyone at the 4 and a talented new no-nonsense center - plus one of our young PGs, Swaggy, X, Kelly, Sacre. A year after that, you see if getting Love is realistic.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37447
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:23 pm

^^ Nice find on Henry, Doc. I like him a lot. Have all year long.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.