Lakers Micro-News

Lakers Micro-News

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:20 pm

John Ireland today on 710 ESPN said that they Lakers, contrary to common belief, have FOUR MIT analytics on staff. Those four are consulted about every decision, every roster move, every trade involving their roster. When John asked why this hasn't been made public like many other franchises the reply was: we do things behind closed doors here, we don't need to advertise everything.

Also today on 710 ESPN John said he asked people within the organization about why Steve Nash was even allowed to play in his 10th game and the response was quick:
- The Lakers are allowed to give him the choice between retirement or playing, but ultimately it's up to Nash to make the decision. They CANNOT force him to retire.
- The Lakers and Steve were of course knowledgeable about the 10 day rule. It was Nash's decision to play and try to contribute to the team that way.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Lakers Micro-News

Postby TIME on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:47 pm

The MIT thing is interesting but not shocking. I remember reading somewhere that Jim Buss is a number cruncher.

Even though it puts the team in a position of disadvantage, I'm glad they handled the Nash 10 game thing the way they did. It's classy to let him decide and that kind of stuff has to have some value in the eyes of other players.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:51 pm

I thought the first was good to post because I know there's more than a few fans that think we're far behind in that department. Most NBA teams run numbers now in some form and it wasn't clear if the Lakers did. Apparently they very much do run the numbers.

And I agree from the Lakers' perspective they did the right thing. I'm more mad at Steve than at anybody else. It was his decision and in Game 9 out 10 he hurt himself. He had an out. He had every reason NOT to do this and he did it anyway. Now we're going to have to pay for it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:53 pm

MIT Junior College....didn't know they had one of those
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby XXIV on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:18 pm

It seems they had no choice but to do the right thing. The Lakers couldn't try and persuade Nash to retire in the slightest because they'd get sued. They can bring up the situation but they can't tell him what to do.
XXIV

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Considering the last 3 seasons have been a travesty, it's not to say that we've made our fair share of moves that tried to put us in contention, but are now in a position to reload before the repeater-tax rule and hold on to a draft pick in a deep draft.

- CP3 Trade (although vetoed)
- Nash / Dwight
- Cleared books by 2014
- 2014 Draft Pick looking to be Top 5. Possibly another pick through a deal.
- Kobe's 2 year deal. (Happens to be when Durant is a free agent)

These guys think ahead, and have all the knowledge of the business and NBA. I never thought our Front Office were in the dark. Situations are analyzed and the Busses are given options and make the final say.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Dave McMenamin was on ESPN radio tonight. I caught a little bit in my car, but I turned it on halfway and didn't get the full context of the interview, but I did get to hear a few things. If anyone else wants to fill in feel free.

Trade Deadline
- Lakers goal is to get under the tax line. Whether that be Pau or a combo of Blake/Kaman/Hill, that is the plan.
- They ideally want to get a 1st round pick in this draft, but would settle for a TPE/2nd rounder for the latter players.

Players for Next Season
- Farmar seems like he's a "lock" to come back next season. He gave up 3 mil to come back and the Lakers like what he has to offer, just needs to get healthy.
- He was asked about Marshall, but didn't seem like the Lakers were high on him for some reason. He talked about his team option for next season and how the Lakers will "probably" pick that up
- Meeks looks to be coming back if it's at the right price.
- Hill/Kaman, if MDA is still here, they will not.
- The guys mentioned above are the only players he spoke about, the rest were summed into their will be a lot of new faces next year.

Nash
- He said Nash thinks this 4 day break will be enough time to recover and get back on the court. I exited my car laughing on that one.

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 6m
Mitch: "If you’re asking me if we’ll pick up somebody that will help us this year, I think that’s probably not the approach we’re taking."
Expand

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 18m
LAL GM Mitch Kupchak spoke to a few of us pregame. Implied that if LAL make a move at the deadline, it'll be to address 2014-15 & beyond.
Expand
Last edited by Doc Brown on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:49 pm

I am laughing reading most of those things, starting with Marshall.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 pm

Ireland must have misheard "MIT" with "ITT".
Frank Dux

Postby LooN3y on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:36 pm

lol number crunchers? look at what happened to the grizzlies after they hired john hollinger.

might be hollinger whos obviously evaluates talent by stats, or the CBA that made them trade rudys horrendous contract.

but i never liked coaches/gms/analysts that go by stats. i mean look at all the coaches that go by stats, they're all horrible.
LooN3y

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:36 pm

RIght. If Mitch saw Marshall alongside the road, he would "probably" pick him up. :man10:
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby thkthebest on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Lakers were the only NBA team without a single representative at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference last year. Half the league had SportVU cameras in 2012. Lakers didn't. And since the Lakers JUST started 2 years ago, they're way behind the rest of the league anyway.

Not surprised one bit.

Teams that have embraced analytics? Spurs, Heat, Thunder, Rockets, Mavericks, etc.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby MC on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:06 am

MIT hires lmfao ................ hire all the stat jockeys in the world...... still isn't basketball knowledge.

numbers can be very important BUT they are only good in context ....... that generally takes some knowledge within something. Unless Buss has the personnel that actually know a lick about basketball all the numbers in the world won't help him. The key are the basketball guys, the guys that can make actual sense of the numbers as it relates to situation and form reasonable predictions...

Too many basketball principles get lost if one relies too much on statistical analysis..... things like the swing pass or "hockey" pass, box out principles, defensive spacing within team driven concepts, vision.....these type of things aren't shown in any measurements or data analysis...... data is limited to it's environment as well....what type of system is run, does certain skill sets translate to what your team concept is....no data can tell you this, only a good feel and understanding for the game can, data can enhance the way a guy with a feel can operate but it cannot help people without that core feel in the first place...... all that creates for those without feel is a false sense of assurance which really equates to a slightly better guess.

Time will tell if Jim has what it takes to direct a ship basketball wise..... his personal touches are now all over the way the Lakers operate...... I hope to goodness sake I'm wrong about the guy, I do think he's one of these fantasy guys enamored with numbers and that approach....I personally think it's gotten him in trouble with these atrocious coaching hires.... I just hope he's not so enamored as to relegate something as more simple than actual reality..... respect the sport and those who have a feel for it.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby trodgers on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:46 am

karacha wrote:I am laughing reading most of those things, starting with Marshall.

This is the kind of s*** I'm talking about. "Probably" pick up Marshall, but we're "high" on Blake and want him back?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:16 am

Yeah, probably picking up the best passer in the league for 900k. Meh. We could do better.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Slurpee22 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:17 am

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 18m
LAL GM Mitch Kupchak spoke to a few of us pregame. Implied that if LAL make a move at the deadline, it'll be to address 2014-15 & beyond.

I don't see anyone giving us young assets for the players who might be available to trade.... so I'm guessing that Mitch is just dreaming.
Slurpee22

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:07 am

Geez I guess I should have figured this would turn into a bash thread. :man10:

The FO can't win.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:19 pm

MC wrote:MIT hires lmfao ................ hire all the stat jockeys in the world...... still isn't basketball knowledge.

numbers can be very important BUT they are only good in context ....... that generally takes some knowledge within something. Unless Buss has the personnel that actually know a lick about basketball all the numbers in the world won't help him. The key are the basketball guys, the guys that can make actual sense of the numbers as it relates to situation and form reasonable predictions...

Too many basketball principles get lost if one relies too much on statistical analysis..... things like the swing pass or "hockey" pass, box out principles, defensive spacing within team driven concepts, vision.....these type of things aren't shown in any measurements or data analysis...... data is limited to it's environment as well....what type of system is run, does certain skill sets translate to what your team concept is....no data can tell you this, only a good feel and understanding for the game can, data can enhance the way a guy with a feel can operate but it cannot help people without that core feel in the first place...... all that creates for those without feel is a false sense of assurance which really equates to a slightly better guess.

Time will tell if Jim has what it takes to direct a ship basketball wise..... his personal touches are now all over the way the Lakers operate...... I hope to goodness sake I'm wrong about the guy, I do think he's one of these fantasy guys enamored with numbers and that approach....I personally think it's gotten him in trouble with these atrocious coaching hires.... I just hope he's not so enamored as to relegate something as more simple than actual reality..... respect the sport and those who have a feel for it.

Pretty much on point with everything. :jam2: Numbers are a vital tool to the game, but it takes that extra 6th sense and basketball savvy to know how to truly build a great team.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby kray28 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Jimbo was a math major at USC....until he dropped out. :man9:

Yeah, he's a number "cruncher" all right.

As for the "four analysts from MIT" story. It sounds manufactured/embellished to combat the growing perception that Jimbo doesn't know what the hell he is doing.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 am

NBA legend and Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar mistakenly congratulated John Wall on All-Star Game MVP. But Kyrie Irving was named MVP of the All-Star Game while John Wall won the Slam Dunk Contest Saturday. Congrats #JohnWall on your All Star MVP - it's gonna be a great year!" Sportando - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.XPVoDMxa.dpuf
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 am

i don't know who all has TPEs, but i could see hill, blake, and kaman all fetching second rounders for those. each one, in theory, could help a playoff team (with kaman being the least obvious contributor).
abeer3

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 am

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 51s
About to hop on with @ryenarussillo and @sedanoespn to talk Lakers and the trade deadline
Expand

Do you expect Pau Gasol to be a Laker after the deadline?
- No. Lakers aren't playing for anything, need to move asset and not let him walk. Don't want to give him multi-year deal going forward.

What is the best fit for him?
- Phoenix number 1 player that makes sense. GM doesn't want to hold all draft picks and need to get a vet. player with one of them. Need to show fans that they are committed to winning and not just tanking/rebuilding. Lakers are better off getting a draft pick than not getting anything at all.

Is Pau actively looking for a trade?
- He wants to stay in LA, but understands the business and knows he probably won't be a Laker going forward anyway. Needs to decide if going to PHX is a good choice for him.

What's the plan to bring Lakers back to contender?
- Use 1st round draft pick, get Kobe back healthy, beyond that it's picking the right free agents. Might need to hold off on signing lesser free agents this offseason and wait for the bigger fish to come available. Look to trade for Love and manage cap space to go after free agents in 2015 and beyond.
- Acquire more assets.

How to use Kobe rest of the year?
- Need to get Kobe out there to show free agents that this team can still be competitive and they should come here.
- Talked about roster next season and said Nash will likely get waived.
- Make themselves an attractive destination by showing cap space and that Kobe is still an elite player in the league.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Laker Link on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
About to hop on with @ryenarussillo and @sedanoespn to talk Lakers and the trade deadline
Expand

- No. Lakers aren't playing for anything, need to move asset and not let him walk. Don't want to give him multi-year deal going forward.

- Phoenix number 1 player that makes sense. GM doesn't want to hold all draft picks and need to get a vet. player with one of them. Need to show fans that they are committed to winning and not just tanking/rebuilding. Lakers are better off getting a draft pick than not getting anything at all.

- He wants to stay in LA, but understands the business and knows he probably won't be a Laker going forward anyway. Needs to decide if going to PHX is a good choice for him.

- Use 1st round draft pick, get Kobe back healthy, beyond that it's picking the right free agents. Might need to hold off on signing lesser free agents this offseason and wait for the bigger fish to come available. Look to trade for Love and manage cap space to go after free agents in 2015 and beyond.
- Acquire more assets.

- Need to get Kobe out there to show free agents that this team can still be competitive and they should come here.
- Make themselves an attractive destination by showing cap space and that Kobe is still an elite player in the league.

The Laker Link

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Pretty much what we have all been saying, but it's nice to hear it from someone in the circles.

Thanks Doc.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Expand

- Acquire more assets.

great recap Doc, thank you
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion