Lakers Missing Lamar....

Lakers Missing Lamar....

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:16 pm

I understand the Lakers have many issues at the moment....effective and consistent scoring, black hole at the PG position, impotent bench, sporadic injuries, etc. However, I also believe that the TEAM is missing Lamar Odom perhaps more than many of us either realize or are willing to admit.

When he got traded, I was shocked and dismayed like many fans, but also kinda understood after the failed Chris Paul fiasco. Things were probably never going to work again for the Lakers and Lamar. Nonetheless, like many fans I'm presuming, I was cautiously optimistic that the team could rebound from the loss of Odom and the Paul fiasco with a new Coach, some new bench players, Bynum looking good, a couple of promising rookies etc.

I can now admit that the TEAM is clearly missing Lamar's presence. Not just his scoring, not just his rebounding, not just his facilitating and unselfish play, not just his 6th Man-ishness (LOL) - but perhaps more than anything, his effect on team chemistry and the fact that he was almost every Laker's favorite Laker and lockeroom guy. Right now our team has ZERO bench and Mick Brown appears to be in denial about the need to set a bench rotation and stick to it and seems content to just keep experimenting with a different bench unit almost every game. His idea of installing MWP as our new 6th Man has clearly failed. Time to move on Mike. He doesn't seem to want to play Murphy much, seems to have doomed Ebanks and also seems reluctant to play Walton who at least knows how to play the game. Blake missing is really hurting also.

So all of this has heightened the impact of losing Lamar. Aside from the brilliance of Kobe, the calming presence of Fisher (even though wow!! he has declined so badly on the floor) and the promise of Bynum - I think the Lakers are REALLY missing Lamar Odom

Apologies if I sound like Captain Obvious by stating this, but just felt like it needed to be said.
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Re: Lakers Missing Lamar....

Postby LakerFan1235 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Right there with ya. Still can't believe we didn't get any talent for him.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:24 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:Right there with ya. Still can't believe we didn't get any talent for him.

exactly....and its not like Dallas are bereft of talented players we could have asked for (even though I understand the Lakers were also looking to save on money/payroll)
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby silversurfer on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:31 pm

atleast a decent guard would of been nice :man2:
silversurfer

Postby XXIV on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:42 pm

If no moves are made with or without the TPE it'll be pretty clear management doesn't care about winning.
XXIV

Postby revgen on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 pm

While we're missing LO's scoring off the bench, the truth is that LO wouldn't have helped with our issues at PG or the fact that we don't have shooters. LO or not, we'd still have a lot of holes.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Alcindor on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:47 pm

From a playing aspect, mostly I think our boarding is suffering. I think Lamar would be struggling on offense with coach Brown just as he is now in Dallas.

Gotta understand LO was Phil's baby and he pushed the Buss' to resign him. They didn't want to. We were going to drop 20 mil in salary in the CP3 deal and when it fell through. It wasn't just the loss of CP3 but the money side of the deal that impacted Buss. When Lamar started whining and his agent started making calls the Dallas deal popped up so they jumped on it to save money. Hanging on to him may have ended up in a situation where we got fleeced for him. From a salary dump POV, this was a good move and we have an asset that costs zero dollars.
Alcindor

Postby BadCoaching on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Odom is missed no doubt, he's no where near as missed as #1) Phil Jackson and the coaching staff and #2) The triangle offense.

Odom is way down the list of reasons why this team isn't playing well..
BadCoaching

Postby live and die in LA on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Have you seen Lamar at all this year? He has been awful, after the CP3 trade fell through he checked out mentally. Like others have said he doesn't fill our large needs (point guard, 3 point shooting) and Bynum likely doesn't get as many minutes or finish games. Sure we should have gotten more back in a trade but we might be better off without him, he would have been a worse fit with Coach Brown than Gasol.
live and die in LA

Postby Whatthef? on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Sixth man of the year and the Lakers got nothing. Time to fire Mitch. :bang:
Whatthef?

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Whatthef? wrote:Sixth man of the year and the Lakers got nothing. Time to fire Mitch. :bang:

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Lakers do not miss Lamar. They miss having a decent PG.

Who didn't see this struggle coming 3 years ago? I mean we have been wanting a new PG for 3 years. 3 years later, no wonder we are struggling. You can't play 4v5 out there.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:08 pm

INB4 those who need to get over it...F...too late.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby borri on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:06 pm

LOL while we're on this topic of LO........whatever happened to Cheezstake?

Hope he isn't spending some time at the DAL forums.... :man1: :man12:
borri

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

How many more times do we have to see this thread? It's like having a Caron Butler thread, or one for Farmar, or Sasha, or Shanon. The guy is no longer a Laker, doesnt matter even if it were true that we do miss him, there's no point in looking at the past, nothing can be done about it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:34 pm

Fly Like A Mosquito Bite wrote:Lakers do not miss Lamar. They miss having a decent PG.

Who didn't see this struggle coming 3 years ago? I mean we have been wanting a new PG for 3 years. 3 years later, no wonder we are struggling. You can't play 4v5 out there.

Odom could have been traded for a decent PG, but I guess we wanted to roll with Fish and Blake and save money. Calderon? Mike Conley? Hinrich? Collison?? :man5:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:02 pm

dj vitus wrote:
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite wrote:Lakers do not miss Lamar. They miss having a decent PG.

Odom could have been traded for a decent PG, but I guess we wanted to roll with Fish and Blake and save money. Calderon? Mike Conley? Hinrich? Collison?? :man5:

:man10: :man10: :man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:05 pm

i honestly think it wouldnt have made a difference if he was still here. the team would still be this bad.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:11 pm

he doesn't really provide anything to the team that it hasn't replaced by committee. He was a great rebounder, well Andrew stepped up, we've got McRoberts and Murphy now. He was a decent outside shooter, well we've got Murphy now. He was a good passer, well McRoberts has shown the ability to move the ball as well.

The only thing he has a clear advantage is being able to push the ball up the floor. That would help this team out definitely, but it's not why the team is struggling anyway.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby earvinfr on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Lakers missing Magic Johnson :bang:
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby 24fanyes on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 pm

our top 3 are amazing

and the rest of our team sucks point blank
24fanyes

Return to Lakers Discussion