Lakers new power forward 2004

Lakers new power forward 2004

Postby MIKEDOG on Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:04 pm

What is everyones opinion on what the Lakers should do in the off season with the problem at the power forward position?? I myself have grown fond of the chance that we may be able to get PJ Brown. Out of the PFs that are available I think he would probably be the best choice. He just seems like a perfect fit. I know he was mentioned a couple of years back as being interested in coming to LA but it did not happen does anyone know why??
MIKEDOG

Postby BDG on Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:13 pm

yeah, i remember that too, if i'm not wrong i think his name came up twice. once, he was mentioned in being acquired for eddie jones or elden campbell. but as u know they got traded for glen rice (STUPID TRADE), so that couldn't happen. and then again i think PJ came up during the free agent signing period later but the deal just didn't go through. i agree wit u that he would be great in LA, cuz he's a hard-working solid defender and rebounder that can give the lakers another post presence, especially on the offensive end, seeing as madsen isn't a good offensive player. he'd be a good role player and mite even help us get second chance points. good call there.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

what Lakers need to do this off-season

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:47 pm

After watching the Lakers struggle in the first round with the T' Wolves, I have realized after they win it this year with this roster, they wont be able to do it again next year without getting new players. The primary reason for this is every other team is getting better and better by aquiring new talented players and the Lakers have done practically nothing to improve, which is making things harder on the superstars, Kobe and Shaq, and making them play more minutes. Tell me who you think they should get if Mitch is willing to spend some money
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Lakers off season

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:09 pm

For them to be able to win next year they have to aquire a few more players or this will be the last year of their winning. I think they should try and get the Mailman, Pippen, and Payton. This would work best for the lakers for several reasons-they all are great vereran players with finals experience, they know how to win, they would know what they are doing when they get out there opposed to if they got younger players that would probably get lost in the triangle offense, they are great compliments to Kobe and Shaq,they would make Kobe and Shaq even better, they would give the Lakers one of the best line-ups and a very deep bench, they could help instruct the younger Lakers, and they are willing to take cuts in pay because of they want a championship so badly. The other reasons for each player are as follow:
Karl Malone- a wiser, more mature player than say a Juan Howard, would give them the power foward they have needed for so long. Could be a big help on rebounds, second chance baskets, and put backs; which makes Shaq's job easier giving him more energy. Also would play very well with a great center like Shaq.
Scotti Pippen-can play small foward and point guard. very familiar with the triangle offense and Phil's style of coaching. could probably play better for Phil than he did in Portland.
Gary Payton-one of the bests point guards in the game. great offensive and defensive player. could give Kobe and especially Shaq alot better passes so they can get better looks at the basket.

The Laker line-up would look something like this-
Gary Payton/Derek Fisher/Jannero Pargo
Kobe Bryant/Kareem Rush
Scottie Pippen/Devean George/Rick Fox
Karl Malone/Mark Madsen/Robert Horry
Shaq O'Neal/Samaki Walker/Horace Grant

A Laker team like this would be virtually unstoppable come playoff time next year.

Take a look at this and then tell me what you think? OR if you think someone else would fit better
JSM

Postby clublakers on Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:08 pm

On the topic of the thread I think PJ Brown will command more money than the Lakers could offer, just as before. I'd rather have Keon Clark, but he also could require too much jack. If not I'll take Brain Skinner and take my chances on not having him become another Samaki Walker.

Gary Payton/Derek Fisher/Jannero Pargo
Kobe Bryant/Kareem Rush
Scottie Pippen/Devean George/Rick Fox
Karl Malone/Mark Madsen/Robert Horry
Shaq O'Neal/Samaki Walker/Horace Grant

It is possible for Pargo to sign another minimum deal next season, but I wouldn't bet on it. Horry could and should be back just out of loyalty. Walker is gone to free agency, and I don't think Horace can do anything for us at his age. Better off spending the money on youth and a future.

That leaves us with GP, Pip, and Malone. It's a little scary getting that old that quick, and not allowing for our future. I think it would be a real fluke to actually have all 3 of these players WANT to play for a mediocre to vet-minimum salary.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:07 pm

cl, what youger players do you think they could land that would help them the most. and dont you think they need at least one premium veteran player and whatever youger players they get to be able to contend next year and possibly a decent rookie in the draft
JSM

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:46 pm

I still like Juwan Howard, he said he wants to play for LA next season which means he is willing to sign for the minimum $4.5 million. As much as I would love to see Malone in a Lakers jersey I think Howard would be a better fit and he is also much younger
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

no chance on the GP/Mailman/Pippen combo

Postby deeohh512 on Thu May 01, 2003 1:09 am

sounds good, but won't happen. GP is looking 4 big money (the real reason he left Seattle). getting Malone OR Pippen sounds more realistic, but the Lakers are looking to get more athletic, not older and slower. The Lakers are not very good at running with faster teams and having Malone and Pippen definately wouldn't get them any faster. PJ Brown's "J" is a little suspect, which doesn't help the sagging defenders on Shaq. but i think PJ can get more money elsewhere, so he might not be the best option. Still as i said before, i'm not a Juwan Howard fan, but he probably makes the most sense because of the price, age, and respectable "J". his D is kinda soft, but i'll take it over whatever it is we have now.
deeohh512

Postby Guest on Thu May 01, 2003 8:33 am

The Lakers do not need a offensive minded power forward so the jump shot is not too much of a problem. The Lakers need a big scrappy banger, they need a "mark Madsen" but with a lot more game!!! PJ Brown would probably fit that role nicely.

Postby Hippo on Thu May 01, 2003 12:15 pm

What about Gilbert Arenas? He would be a nice fit.
Hippo

Postby BDG on Thu May 01, 2003 5:39 pm

Gilbert Arenas isn't a Power Forward.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby PurpleBlood on Thu May 01, 2003 9:58 pm

Why don't the Lakers take a chance on 'Zo? I think he can still be effective, despite his kidney ailments.
PurpleBlood

Postby whats golden on Thu May 01, 2003 11:36 pm

Shaq and Zo, now that would be a front court, coupled with George. As for our back court Kobe and Arenas with Rush and Fisher off the bench. But realistically Zo won't come to LA so chase Howard.

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby ZenMaster on Fri May 02, 2003 2:26 pm

I don't know, What's Golden...I read again today that Zo is definitely thinking about L.A. as a possible destination...he may be an option worth looking into, along with Juwan. I always thought he'd be better off as a PF anyways.

Also...I read that Malone has now listed SACRAMENTO as one of his possible choices, even as a backup to Webber he would consider it. Thoughts?.....
ZenMaster

Postby Guest on Sat May 03, 2003 1:43 am

I guess I depends on whether he wants to start and earn a ring or back up Webber and get minimal minutes. You the math Zen Master.

As for Zo imagine having the #1 and #2 93 draft picks in your front court.

Postby whats golden on Sat May 03, 2003 1:45 am

Thats my post above eveyone, forgot to log in. But while I'm back is there any chance that there is a PF out there with the same silky silky skills displayed by the great "Big Game" James Worthy? I know that the great man was a SF but if there was someone out there with the finishing skills, the scoring ability that he had. Mind you he was no slouch on the defensive end, remember the winnig basket that Jordan scored for UNC, who made the the steal off the inbounds pass that made that shot possible?Find a player with a work ethic like Worthy and they would be the perfect compliment for Shaq and Kobe. There's a reason why he's a Hall of Famer.

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue May 13, 2003 11:51 am

If we could get Malone AND PJ Brown, that would be ideal. I would go for Youth in Howard or Stro Swift if not. Either choice is good for the team. We need to add some more talent at PF, Backup Center and PG in that order. Alonzo might be willing to split the mid-level with Howard and back up Juwan AND Shaq...then we could restructure Horry, Fisher and Fox and use that money to get another PG (good enough to give us quality minutes off the bench and experienced enough not to make the mistakes that Pargo makes) and then sign a vet minumum PF or just bump Slava up a notch and let Mark Madsen and Samaki Walker go the way of the dodo...
Snakell Beast

Postby GuEsT on Wed May 21, 2003 10:08 am

Malone is saying he wouldn't mind being a backup in Sacramento just to send a message to us.....Whats the best way to get our attention,say you want to sign with sacramento!!!!!

Postby Guest on Wed May 21, 2003 10:13 am

I think everyone is overlooking Brad Miller from Indiana. I think he would be a nice fit or the PF spot plus he could back up Shaq at the center position. Add Gilbert A. to run the point and I think we have gotten better while also getting younger. If we could add a Piatkoswsi or another pure shooter I think we would be in buisness.

Postby MIKEDOG on Wed May 21, 2003 10:43 am

Sorry keep doing that I forgot to log in.
MIKEDOG

Postby Lakers4Ever on Wed May 21, 2003 11:47 am

I still think it should be either Juwan Howard or P.J. Brown. Karl Malone is just too old and too wasted to go to the Lakers and learn a totally different offense. PLUS I still believe we should also acquire Alonzo Mourning to back up Shaq. He may be unreliable healthwise, but imagine what he could produce for us by giving him a chance and taking this risk?!
Jessica Alba is the HOTTEST woman alive!
Lakers4Ever

Postby GoldenEye on Thu May 22, 2003 12:39 am

If we replace Walker witn Alonzo, I don't see lots of differences. Anyway it cannot be worth !
If Alonzo has health issues then he will produce as good as Walker, if not then he will give some good minutes at PF and C. :man13:

As PF, PJ and Juwan will be a good fit but I have preference for Juwan. Juwan can become the third scorer and make pay teams if let alone.

Finally, we still need to sign a PG or backup PG for the minimum. But who?
Forget Arenas, Payton or Kidd ... they all go for buckets !
Dynasty is not over, Lakers dynasty has begun!
GoldenEye

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu May 22, 2003 2:17 am

All this talk about these FA's has got me thinkin a lot. Ya'll provided what they can do and what they can possibly do for our squad, and I like that. So to me, it seems like I'm 50/50 for for anyone we might acquire :man1:
LakersGyrl2003

PJ would be a better fit

Postby L.A. Dynasty on Thu May 22, 2003 1:03 pm

I think PJ would be a better fit for defense and rebounding purposes. He has a pretty good midrange shot that could keep the defense honest. I'm not too sure on how could good Juwan is defensively. As far as a PG, I think Gilbert Arenas would be a like a gift from ol' Golden Throat! :man13: How realstic is it for us to sign him?
L.A. Dynasty

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu May 22, 2003 4:38 pm

See I'm glad we can see which players are able to do what for the Lakers... But it matters what they're lookin 4, and hopefully they'll see what we see on this topic of discussion, ya feel!?
LakersGyrl2003

Return to Lakers Discussion