Lakers Off-Season Possibilities

Lakers Off-Season Possibilities

Postby DMoNeY on Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:57 am

The Lakers should make the trade of Robert Horry, Jannero Pargo or Derek Fisher and the 2 Draft Choices for Jason Terry and Theo Ratliff. These 2 guys cover our weaknesses.
Then we still have the exception to use on either PJ Brown or Juwan Howard or Gary Payton. Then we can get Scottie Pippen for the minimum or even Karl Malone if he is willing to take that big of a pay cut, and don't forget about Keon Clark. Then for sure we can get Eric Piatkowski for cheap or Jimmy Jackson who is actually a very valuable person.
Elden Campbell is a free agent and a native from Los Angeles, why not bring him back?
These are all possibilities the Lakers can think about.
DMoNeY

Re: Lakers Off-Season Possibilities

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:07 am

DMoNeY wrote:The Lakers should make the trade of Robert Horry, Jannero Pargo or Derek Fisher and the 2 Draft Choices for Jason Terry and Theo Ratliff. These 2 guys cover our weaknesses.
Then we still have the exception to use on either PJ Brown or Juwan Howard or Gary Payton. Then we can get Scottie Pippen for the minimum or even Karl Malone if he is willing to take that big of a pay cut, and don't forget about Keon Clark. Then for sure we can get Eric Piatkowski for cheap or Jimmy Jackson who is actually a very valuable person.
Elden Campbell is a free agent and a native from Los Angeles, why not bring him back?

I just don't like the idea of having Jason Terry, he's too much of a risk in the triangle right now, later on when his skills develop I'd maybe consider him. He may get a lot of assists, but he turns the ball over too much averaging 3 per game, and you add that w. the 3 kobe turns over and you have 6 just from them a night!

Plus if we were to sign Gary Payton we wouldn't need Jason Terry, Payton would be our starting point guard. As for Pippen I was excited about the possibility of him coming to LA, but he's just too old and will be a liability..same goes for Malone, we may win another title or two..but I'd rather get younger players and look at the possibility of winning 4+ titles, face it..Pippen and Malone would not last more than 2 seasons in LA, I say sign Juwan Howard or PJ Brown along with Piatkowski, and if Jim Jackson frees himself from the Queens then sign him as well..let Fisher continue the starting role and let Pargo develop and show what he can do
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Juwan Howard NO!!!

Postby Spen1 on Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:39 am

Juwan Howard should not be and option. I say Payton, PJ, maybe Malone (even though I hate his guts). We need a solid three point shooter. Get rid of Fisher, streak shooter and cannot take another guard to the hole and score consistanly. Gid rid of Horry, I love him to death but, I think it's time to say goodbye. If there is a way to keep him and get what we want lets keep him. Get rid of Rush and keep Pargo. Pargo will develop into a Tony Parker type player but with more control. He'll become a Laker starter in a few years. I also like the sound of Lue backing up Payton and providing some solid defense.

Thoughts anyone????

Spen1
Laker4Life[img]
:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: [/img]
Spen1

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:02 pm

so you want PAYTON to come here and you want LUE to back up Payton.
How is PARGO going to be our future starting point guard if he is the third string Point Guard? I say DO NOT get LUE he elected for the money and left. Sorry LUE your time in L.A is over when you opted for the cash. PARGO should be our back-up for ARENAS of PAYTON. Where that leaves D-FISH.... I don't know..

KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby obfxkg21 on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:25 pm

Quote:
DMoNeY Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:57 am Post subject: Lakers Off-Season Possibilities

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lakers should make the trade of Robert Horry, Jannero Pargo or Derek Fisher and the 2 Draft Choices for Jason Terry and Theo Ratliff. These 2 guys cover our weaknesses.

That would be great gettin' all those guys. I would probably keep the 24th pick and probably stay with Nick Collison (If he is still availible) or Dahntay Jones to back up Rick fox
obfxkg21

Postby ChubsLK on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:58 pm

:man9:

I've been reading the boards, and I just need to get in some of this action. I've got to agree with Lakers4PEAT about getting either Howard or PJ Brown and Eric Piatkowski. I don't know why some people are so against acquiring Juwan Howard. I'm not a huge Howard fan and I definitely think he's a chump for the money he got paid before, but the guy is a baller for the little money we would give him. He has a fugly looking shot, but there's no doubt he can hit mid-range jumpers and has some inside game unlike wack-[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] Samaki Walker. On the other end, he can definitely hold his own and can crash some boards. It's obvious he ain't going to be a first or second option on offense and I think he's humble enough to realize that. I also think Pike (aka "the Polish rifle") would be a sweet sign. The guy can obviously shoot which we obviously could use and this past season, he has learned to create his own shot, somewhat. The only downside is his possible liability on defense. Nothing against my fellow UCLA alum Tracy Murray, but at least Pike's D is better than Murray.

And on the PG spot, I think that it's up in the air. I really don't know the liklihood of it happening, but I would love it if Gilbert Arenas came. The guy is baller. Hopefully, he won't seek money first.
ChubsLK

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:31 pm

Here's the reason why I make the Ratliff Terry trade. If we get Juwan Howard, we can't get a good PG. If we get a good PG (like Payton, Arenas or Dre Miller) we can't get a decent PF. The only way we get A good PF and a good PG is the trade with Atlanta. Sure, we lose Kareem Rush, Robert Horry and Mark Madsen, but we gain Jason Terry, Theo Ratliff and we are free to sign Pike and Howard as well and draft Travis Hansen and Travis Outlaw, then we are almost an all-star team with the following roster (I love fantasizing about this possibility):

PG: Jason Terry / Derek Fisher
SG: Kobe Bryant / Eric Piatkowski / Travis Hansen
SF: Devean George / Rick Fox / Travis Outlaw
PF: Juwan Howard / Theo Ratliff / Stanislav Medvedenko
C: Shaquille O'neal / Stanislav Medvedenko

Then we only have 12 active players for our playoff roster...
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:37 pm

i'm not buying on JT he IS too much of a risk as Lakers4-peat mentioned. GP will be fine, and if Fish really wan'ts his job back he'll be motivated to play better.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:48 pm

What I can't figure out is why everyone seems to want to knock Terry...He is 25 for god's sake and GP is 35. Its pretty simple who would be the better investment. He is also a low key kind of guy and would fit in well as a #3 or #4 option. His turnovers are a result of his TEAM and their lack of an offensive system, not his careless play with the ball. Besides, he is the only guy we can get that is well rounded on both ends and fits the personality compatibility for the locker room. GP is way too prideful and will cause turmoil. If we sign Payton, I wouldn't reject him, but I would call for his head the second he started trouble...
Snakell Beast

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:05 pm

If we wanted a young point gaurd we'd pursue Gilbert Arenas. JT was a good idea last year when the possibility of getting Theo Ratliff was good. Now though, with GP available a player who comes to play each and every night, it wold be foolish to pass him up.
Danny Ainge

:

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:28 pm

I live in Atlanta and have seen Terry and Theo play on a regular basis, because I either go to the hawk games or see them on tv. And I think the trade would be a good idea for the Lakers to consider. Yes I would prefer Payton and Brown or Malone but if we get one or both of them we lack in the other position due to the money they will want and in a couple years we will be in the same situation we are in right now. So it would be in the Lakers best interest to get younger and to start building around Kobe. That trade would be a big move in the right direction, giving some young players to run with Kobe when the Big Fella retires. And Theo could be the starting Center when Shaq retires. Both Theo and J.T. would be good additions for the team, we are looking at an all-star and a rising star. And we wouldn't have to worry about egos getting in the way like we would if we were to obtained GP. I have met both Theo and J.T. and they are level headed guys and are involved in the community. The only problems I see with the trade is Theo is very injury prone and J.T.'s ability to pick up the triangle offense, but it is better than what we have. And would give us a better, deeper bench. I think Phil could do wonders with these two, Jason could especially get alot better if he had a good coach to coach him something he has yet to have and with the Lakers he would be given that. And the Hawks would probably still be willing to do this trade because it would give them some cap room and they have no permanent GM and ownership is in transition and so is the coaching job, plus they have never kept their good players and always trade and get rid of them for some reason or another. If we get Terry, Theo, and Howard; are there any other options that could be better than Piatkowski, not that I wouldn't take him, I was just wondering what other players could we get instead of or with him.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Lakers Off-Season Possibilities

Postby Trojan Warrior on Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:14 am

[quote="DMoNeY"]The Lakers should make the trade of Robert Horry, Jannero Pargo or Derek Fisher and the 2 Draft Choices for Jason Terry and Theo Ratliff.

That would be way too much too give up for those players. maybe one draft choice pluse horry and fish. Plus both of those players are good but not anywhere near great
Trojan Warrior

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:18 pm

Maybe if the Hawks threw in DeMaar Johnson I'd be interested :man1:
Danny Ainge

Postby whats golden on Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:32 pm

What if we could get "The Future" instead of Ratliff?

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby dmaul on Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:06 pm

Terry and Ratliff in a trade while still being able to keep and use the MLE is too good to be true. I seriously doubt anything like this could happen. Atlanta is not that dumb.

Let's face it Laker fans. The MLE exception is only going to buy us one player, either a PG or PF. Take your pick! And although both Payton and Malone are still talented and very good at their age, they have huge egos and may not be willing to put their money where their mouths are. Everyone talks about wanting to win a championship, but very few players give up money to do it. You can pretty much rule out anyone young and talented, like Arenas. That's a pipe dream if ever there was one.

As sad as this is going to sound to some Laker fans, the only realistic improvement that could be made this whole summer are the acquisition of Juwan Howard and the pickup of a couple rookies in the draft.

Everyone's talking about a revolution in here and total revamp of the team, but it doesn't look very likely. Nothing like that is going to happen until Shaq retires and his enormous salary comes off the books.
dmaul

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:13 am

I'd rather get SHAREEF cause he is a better player than THEO overall.
Shareef stands at 6'9"-"6'10" and is silky smooth around the basket. He can hit the outside shot or take it to the hole. Its unfortunate that he's played on losing teams. Theo is too injury prone. Plus he is a one dimensional player. He has very little offense and he isn't much younger than SHAQ. For those of you looking for some youth movement... SHAQ is 31 turning 32 .... THEO is 30 turning 31.... not much of youth movement there. Shareef turns 27 this December and is much more talented than THEO.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:30 am

"Terry and Ratliff in a trade while still being able to keep and use the MLE is too good to be true. I seriously doubt anything like this could happen. Atlanta is not that dumb."

Hey, are you daft. No disrespect meant here, but the Hawks already offered us a trade of Rush, Madsen and Horry for Theo and Jason. And a trade does not affect MLE status. YOu figure out what that means. It is not a pipe dream because the hawks admitted that they want to get ripped off on trades so they can get expiring contracts (super cap-friendly) and rebuild via the draft with new management.

The only way, like I said before, to get BOTH a good PG and (in this scenario which is very likely) TWO PFs worthy of starting is to do this trade. As much as I hate to trade Horry, we can get a better rebounding and defending PF (Ratliff blocked 3.2 a game and won the shot blocking trophy this season) that can slow down guys in the west and we have Juwan/Slava to score points. With Terry in the backcourt aside Kobe we have as potent an offense as is in the league. Shareef is a bad decision because he is an established ball hog and he is somewhat of a tweener. He can't decide if he wants to be a Small Forward or a Power Forward.
Snakell Beast

:

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:52 pm

#1_Kobe_fan:Well I don't know why you think we could even try to get Shareef, there is no way the Hawks would accept that trade, for one that is who the hawks are building their team around, and for 2nd thats their best player. Lakers getting him isn't even an option, and thats why they offered us Theo and Terry and not Shareef and Terry.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby MIKEDOG on Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:06 pm

I have to agree with Snakell, this trade allows us to fill in holes NOW without using the MLE. Your dumping players that do not make the Lakers a better team anyway. Use the MLE on PJ Brown, sign P-Dog and hello instant fix!! This is the trade I was praying for before the deadline. If it is still on the table now, Mitch cannot afford to let it slip away.
The only things I am not sure of is how the contracts would even out and what type of $$ would we be moving?
MIKEDOG

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:31 pm

If we have to, we can always sign Walker and Pargo and send one or both to make the deal legal....whatever it takes to keep the main unit together and bring in Terry/Ratliff...
Snakell Beast

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:07 pm

Snake when you said that Atlanta offered us Terry and Ratliff before, who nixed the trade, and what happened to it. Did Mitch messed it up?????? Did Buss refused it??? What happened???
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby MIKEDOG on Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:01 pm

If I remember correctly I believe that it was Kobe and Shaq that had a large part to do with the trade not happening. Kupchak from what I hear was considering it, but because it included Horry, Shaq and kobe were against it. They did not want to let go of any of the players that were on the three championship teams. But now "all bets are off" according to Kupchak and he would be stupid not to take this trade now!!
MIKEDOG

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:39 pm

Thanks for the info MIKEDOG,

It would been nice to have Terry and Ratliff this past season. Hopefully, Atlanta approaches us with the same trade. If not, they might want more since Atlanta know that we desperately need to change our lineup.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby MIKEDOG on Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:46 pm

I think it could go either way, they may even be more desperate to move the players because there were no takers before this seasons deadline. But your probably right, if I was the GM of another team I would not give up anything in a trade that involved Horry.
MIKEDOG

Return to Lakers Discussion