Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Jarrod N Rudolph ‏@JRudolphSports

While I was in L.A. this weekend, I spoke with 4 @Lakers that told me the team dedicates only 15-20 minutes of practice time to defense


https://twitter.com/JRudolphSports/stat ... 5398032384

WTF?
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10277
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Hmm, that's actually more time than I thought. And 'Antoni actually wondered why he has the reputation of not coaching defense.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks, Jim.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:41 pm

I heard something about this in a post game interview with Dantoni a week back or so.

Hold on while I make my shocked face...
Image
User avatar
phoenixrisingla

 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA!

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:49 pm

BDG wrote:Thanks, Jim.


And Jerry, to be fair. But hey, we have such an exciting brand of basketball now, showtime is back. :freak2:
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

this is great news

i for sure thought dan tony doesn't spend any time at all practicing D
:man12:
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4796
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Weezy wrote:
BDG wrote:Thanks, Jim.


And Jerry, to be fair. But hey, we have such an exciting brand of basketball now, showtime is back. :freak2:


Image

FAIL
Image
User avatar
phoenixrisingla

 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA!

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 pm

i thought that everyone knew they only practiced defense for 30 mins or less at each practice
User avatar
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel
 
Posts: 20560
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Compared to the 0 minutes Kobe said they practiced under Phil...
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby borri on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Weezy wrote:
BDG wrote:Thanks, Jim.


And Jerry, to be fair. But hey, we have such an exciting brand of basketball now, showtime is back. :freak2:


Yup Jerry is going senile. Showtime is back alright....for the wrong team.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby Nikez on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm

borri wrote:
Weezy wrote:
BDG wrote:Thanks, Jim.


And Jerry, to be fair. But hey, we have such an exciting brand of basketball now, showtime is back. :freak2:


Yup Jerry is going senile. Showtime is back alright....for the wrong team.

Crap I hope he is not becoming the new Al Davis.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.


It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
User avatar
Nikez

 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Go vutical baby.... :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6486
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby Center Court on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 am

showtime baby!!

why defend when you can shoot?

MDA! MDA! MDA!
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3177
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 am

Helljumper wrote:Compared to the 0 minutes Kobe said they practiced under Phil...


Thank you .

The "let's blame MDA for everything " game is ridiculous here .
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 am

Wonder why they played D for Phil...
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46640
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby John3:16 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:52 am

Weezy wrote:that's actually more time than I thought.
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31874
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Helljumper wrote:Compared to the 0 minutes Kobe said they practiced under Phil...


Thank you .

The "let's blame MDA for everything " game is ridiculous here .

pretty funny how the defense is so atrocious under dan tony while it wasn't even bad under phil despite the fact that they never practiced
:man10:
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4796
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am

trodgers wrote:Wonder why they played D for Phil...


This.

MDA apologists can make all the excuses they want to. 0 minutes of D practice, 120 minutes of D practice, I DONT CARE.

The results arent there they way they were with Phil, end of story.
Image
User avatar
phoenixrisingla

 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA!

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 am

432J wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
Helljumper wrote:Compared to the 0 minutes Kobe said they practiced under Phil...


Thank you .

The "let's blame MDA for everything " game is ridiculous here .

pretty funny how the defense is so atrocious under dan tony while it wasn't even bad under phil despite the fact that they never practiced
:man10:

yeah sure the D was great in the Dallas series ... lots of adjustments on the defensive end were made too :man10: .

High PNR + spacing the floor with shooters = very easy to get clean looks against us .

The lack of multiple efforts + the fact we are too old and too slow on the perimeter in today's league dominated by quick and athletic guards make us a bad defensive team ...


But yeah the bad D is ONLY MDA fault .
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 am

trodgers wrote:Wonder why they played D for Phil...


They didn't his last season.

The years before, they would play D in spurts, and they had enough offensive size/length in the starting lineup and off the bench to give teams matchup nightmares with Pau/Bynum/Odom. We don't give teams the same nightmares with D12 who is not what he used to be pre-injury and Pau who is past his prime. We don't have a prime Lamar Odom coming off the bench either.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21735
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 am

interesting...that's 15-20mins more than they play in the actual games
.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
User avatar
pound4pound1

 
Posts: 6347
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am
Location: 818 LAKER NATION

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 am

pound4pound1 wrote:interesting...that's 15-20mins more than they play in the actual games


OOOOOHHHHH...

Image
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
User avatar
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 13092
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: http://twitter.com/hosesway

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
432J wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
Helljumper wrote:Compared to the 0 minutes Kobe said they practiced under Phil...


Thank you .

The "let's blame MDA for everything " game is ridiculous here .

pretty funny how the defense is so atrocious under dan tony while it wasn't even bad under phil despite the fact that they never practiced
:man10:

yeah sure the D was great in the Dallas series ... lots of adjustments on the defensive end were made too :man10: .

High PNR + spacing the floor with shooters = very easy to get clean looks against us .

The lack of multiple efforts + the fact we are too old and too slow on the perimeter in today's league dominated by quick and athletic guards make us a bad defensive team ...


But yeah the bad D is ONLY MDA fault .

Exactly. Man, everyone is so quick to dump all of this on D'Antoni. Watch the 4th quarter last night. The team CAN play defense, they just DON'T. That's the players not giving the consistent effort on that end.

Phil's teams during our last two Championships played defense just enough to win. We weren't some awesome defesnive squad. And in Phil's last year, that was obvious. The only part of this that I put on D'Antoni is that he isn't inspiring them like a head coach should... but his coaching of the offense is not the issue.

Should he put more effort into coaching defense? Well absolutely. But that doesn't mean what he's doing now is terribly different than what Phil did. The guys just don't have the same heart as thos teams did.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:27 am

therealdeal wrote:Exactly. Man, everyone is so quick to dump all of this on D'Antoni. Watch the 4th quarter last night. The team CAN play defense, they just DON'T. That's the players not giving the consistent effort on that end.

Phil's teams during our last two Championships played defense just enough to win. We weren't some awesome defesnive squad. And in Phil's last year, that was obvious. The only part of this that I put on D'Antoni is that he isn't inspiring them like a head coach should... but his coaching of the offense is not the issue.

Should he put more effort into coaching defense? Well absolutely. But that doesn't mean what he's doing now is terribly different than what Phil did. The guys just don't have the same heart as those teams did.


You make some really good points real deal. And I agree that player effort is definitely part of it, but at the end of the day Phil was able to get enough out of his players to win.

Asking us to be blind to the fact that D'Antoni is known FIRST AND FOREMOST as a coach who doesnt value defense, then he shows up and ours goes in the toilet is just too much for us to call coincidence and try to put completely on the players, wouldnt you agree?
Image
User avatar
phoenixrisingla

 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA!

Re: Lakers Only Practice Defense 15-20 Minutes

Postby LakerFanIam on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 am

Well, that makes sense considering they only play defense for about 15-20 minutes each game...
Image
User avatar
LakerFanIam

 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Sec 117

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bltkmt and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.