Lakers plight a laughing matter to TNT analysts

Lakers plight a laughing matter to TNT analysts

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 am

The Lakers' postseason fortunes made TNT analysts Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith laugh loudly.

"There's a zero percent chance they make the playoffs," Barkley said Thursday in a conference call to promote the network's coverage next week of NBA All-Star weekend in Houston.

It doesn't help Pau Gasol tore the plantar fascia of his right foot, an injury that will sideline him for at least six to eight weeks. There's also Dwight Howard's torn labrum in his right shoulder he tried playing through against Boston.

"There was zero chance before the guys got hurt," Barkley said. "Now it's negative 17. They got no chance of making the playoffs."

The Lakers remain in 10th place in the Western Conference, three games behind the Houston Rockets for the eighth playoff spot.

"They weren't playing well all year," Smith said. "Then they had a little stretch where they played well. Now they're injured. What would give you a reason to believe they could make the playoffs? What hope are you holding on?"

Meeting of the minds

With Gasol's injury and the Feb. 21 trade deadline approaching, Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said he will meet with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak in Miami before playing the Heat on Sunday.

One of the first items of business could involve determining whether the Lakers would use the disabled players exception the NBA granted because of Jordan Hill's season-ending left hip injury. The Lakers can use the disabled players exception to sign a free agent for up to one season or acquire a player making up to $1.88 million through a trade.

Link: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/lakers/ ... t-analysts
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Re: Lakers plight a laughing matter to TNT analysts

Postby Alcindor on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 am

Since when has anything Barkley and Smith said been thread worthy? Barkley in particular is an unabashed Laker hater.

We're 3 games back of 8th with a long way to go, it isn't nearly as hopeless as they apparently have you believing.
Alcindor

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 am

Negative 17 ... same number as Barkley rings total
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Negative 17 ... same number as Barkley rings total

lol
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:52 am

Alcindor wrote:Since when has anything Barkley and Smith said been thread worthy? Barkley in particular is an unabashed Laker hater.

We're 3 games back of 8th with a long way to go, it isn't nearly as hopeless as they apparently have you believing.

This, Barkley and Chuck are always ready to throw insults at the Lakers and never give them props when they beat good teams, screw those guys.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby MC on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:05 am

internal squabbling

Pringles as coach

I say they are SPOT on for once in their lives..............

They love bashing the Lakers any chance they get and the Laker FO has given them PLENTY of ammunition this season with their bi-polar act.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby dak22 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:54 am

MC wrote:internal squabbling

Pringles as coach

I say they are SPOT on for once in their lives..............

They love bashing the Lakers any chance they get and the Laker FO has given them PLENTY of ammunition this season with their bi-polar act.

While the FO has their share, the players are hardly blameless. From Kobe's defense, Steve's indecision, Dwight and Gasol's effort, they've all played a role in this mess.

At the end of the day though, there is enough talent to at least be over.500, regardless of injuries or MDA's ineptitude.
dak22

Postby kobebryant248 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:13 am

well maybe it kick startd the lakers when mr f... barkley says some crap. he did also say wade was done as a very good player and was wrong and he also said kobe s 30 point games are gone and he was again wrong . he called d nowitzki about 2 years that he is done and again oh whonder he was wrong . so keep tlking [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] barkley because the exact opposite will happen.
kobebryant248

Postby snackdaddy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:58 am

Barkley's an idiot. Smith is usually brutally honest. I'd say it isn't going out on a limb to say the Lakers won't make the playoffs. It don't take a smart analyst to see that. But with all that said, its far from a done deal.
snackdaddy

Postby 008 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 am

Sorry guys, but Barkley and Smith aren't wrong here. This squad will NOT make the playoff and even if by miracle that they do, they won't do jack.

Wrong coach + injured players + serious chemistry issues = Failure

Postby John3:16 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 am

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:This, Barkley and Chuck are always ready to throw insults at the Lakers and never give them props when they beat good teams, screw those guys.

What about Shaq and O'Neal? They do it too.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:52 am

I can still recall Smith throwing us under the bus when we faced Hou in the 1st rd proclaiming we didn't "deserve" to be beat Hou since we were a higher seed and was struggling against them. Like higher seeds never struggle against lower seeds. Chuck, good old Chuck has always picked against us anytime we were down in a series. I remember countless years where he always choosed Den to beat us whenever we faced them in the playoffs.
khmrP

Postby nameant on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 am

3 games back is nothing. He claimed even before Pau's injury there was a 0% chance...which was just a retarded statement.
nameant

Postby 432J on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:29 am

i agree with them

highly doubt this teams makes the playoffs with the way things have been going this season
432J

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:36 am

It is a stupid statement. By the math alone we have a chance. What happens to Houston if Harden goes down? The Lakers have suffered the most injuries of anyteam this year. Teams that have been healthy will face the injury bug too. The Lakers giving away games hurts and it is very possible we miss the playoffs but to say -17 is just an a**hat hating.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 am

they're probably right. but, they're also a couple of jacka**es who are generally wrong more often than not so let's hope the trend continues
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Lakers#1fan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 am

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guarantee a playoff birth. I just dont see kobe with this team allowing us to miss the playoffs. I still have a feeling that somehow this team will figure it out and pray to GOD for no more injuries.

But even if we get there and have to play OKC and SA it is going to be near impossible to beat them... but if anyone is built to take down teams like that in the playoffs its us. The playoffs is a whole different ball game, in a seven game series I would take my chances with this team. Now this is all considering that this team has some sort of cohesiveness and no further injuries and everyone is healthy come playoff time. My heart tells me this team will make the playoffs., but Barkley (hater) and Kenny "The Jet" Smith (Whom I respect a an analyst) are right in the fact that, " what have the LAkers shown us thus far to believe we can make the playoffs." The answer to that is not much.

We have seen flashes of great basketball, and if this team can ignore the media/drama and just buckle down and sacrifice their individual games for W's...there's no doubt this team can not only make the playoffs but go all the way.

GO LAKERS! :jam2:
Lakers#1fan

Postby ojdidit123 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 am

Hilarious that you all are so butthurt that they are putting us down when the fact is we deserve it. We deserve it due to the arrogance shown by the fanbase when we got Howard and Nash just assuming we would do all sorts of damage and many of you flamed anyone that thought otherwise prior to the season. Payback and karma right there. For the record Kenny Smith has been good to us on TNT in the past so he is no hater like Barkley has always been so just because we are deservedly being looked at as the laughing stock of league don't get mad we are what we are.
ojdidit123

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 am

"ojdidit123"Hilarious that you all are so butthurt that they are putting us down when the fact is we deserve it.

It is more funny when people moronicaly decide to say things like "ya'll so butthurt." when defending something that is not a "fact" at all.

We deserve it due to the arrogance shown by the fanbase when we got Howard and Nash just assuming we would do all sorts of damage and many of you flamed anyone that thought otherwise prior to the season.

I'm confused. We deserve it because many fans, rightfully so, thought a team with Kobe, Nash, Dwight, Pau and MWP would be a Championship contender? Wow that is absolutely crazy to think that this team should be a great. Holyhell what were we thinking. Maybe we should of been like other lowlifes who say "we suck", "we aint' winning anything", "you know we can't beat OKC or Miami cause they got Championship teams."

Payback and karma right there.

People have been using the word "Karma" a lot on this board lately. Why would it be Karma now? I mean other fans have hated the Lakers fans for decades yet we have 16 Championships. The snitch-devil Kobe has 5 rings. The softa** Euro has 2 rings. Maybe its just bad luck that we got some injuries and maybe we turn it around. Who knows but I am sure it isn't Karma.

For the record Kenny Smith has been good to us on TNT in the past so he is no hater like Barkley has always been so just because we are deservedly being looked at as the laughing stock of league don't get mad we are what we are.
Well damn, now that you put it on "the record" I think Kenny is awesome and I have changed my mind that he is wrong. See that's all you had to do was put it "on the record" and we would of saw the errors of our ways.

By the way does Preperation-H help for butthurtness?
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:12 am

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:they're probably right. but, they're also a couple of jacka**es who are generally wrong more often than not so let's hope the trend continues

Thats what I like most... Charles has said we won't make it which gives me the biggest hope of all cause ring boy is always wrong.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:15 am

So much unnecessary drama right now. The media loves it and loves to keep it going. Even with the stinker they pulled last night, there's no need for all of the panic right now. We're basically still where we would hope to be on the road trip considering the circumstances. We dropped a couple games, so we need to win in Charlotte tonight. If they do that, and even lose to Miami, I think we have to be very happy with the Grammy road trip. If we lose tonight - that's a different story and it will be slightly disappointing, although understandable considering the loss of Pau and the grumpiness/not great health of Howard. Just get the win tonight and we're still on track to get into the playoffs.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

That's an ignorant statement by Kenny. We still have a good chance of making the playoffs.. If the Griz go through with dumping Zach, they're going to plummet the rest of the season & end up around the 10 spot.That opens things up where we don't have to beat out both Houston & Portland.
lakersin4

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 am

people over use the word karma
khmrP

Postby TIME on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am

khmrP wrote:people over use the word karma

Over use and misuse. Karma is a Hindu doctrine. The concept is that EVERYTHING that happens is a karmic reaction to previous incarnation actions and choices. You can't cherry pick and say only certain things are "karma".
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am

TNT is becoming worse then ESPN. at least TNT used to be funny and worth watching... now? there anti-rants are getting absurd... and Steve Kerr was very anti-laker yesterday.... I hope next time I will mute the TV button.
Ice-Fire

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion