Lakers pounded ball inside & fed the bigs. Didnt work in Gm1

Re: Lakers pounded ball inside & fed the bigs. Didnt work in Gm1

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:But don't forget that SA played uncharacteristically as well. They shot 38% when they typically shoot 48%.... Meanwhile we shot 41% and typically shoot 46% for the game. We lost by 12 folks...

That's all true. And it's true simply because they are a better team. I'm not sure what we expect here... a miracle, perhaps?

What Lakers can, realistically, do -- is win 2 games and make it respectable.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:47 am

karacha wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:But don't forget that SA played uncharacteristically as well. They shot 38% when they typically shoot 48%.... Meanwhile we shot 41% and typically shoot 46% for the game. We lost by 12 folks...

That's all true. And it's true simply because they are a better team. I'm not sure what we expect here... a miracle, perhaps?

What Lakers can, realistically, do -- is win 2 games and make it respectable.

Well, this season, you're right IMO. That's why when they play poorly, and we play OK, we are still going to lose esp on the road.

Any team can beat any team in a 7 game series. The question isn't whether it is possible since it always is. The question is whether or not the pieces we need to fall in place will fall in place. And the reason it is a long shot for us is because we need MANY pieces to fall in place whereas the Spurs, to beat us, need just a few.
JGC

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:02 am

Hate to say it but might be time to rely on the pick & roll.. They won't have time to consistently front Dwight or Pau when they're rolling to the basket, especially if Dwight is setting good screens.
lakersin4

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 am

Great article. This has been a problem all season long. The 3-point shooting for this team has come & gone all season long. Meeks, Metta, Jamison, & even Kobe at times have struggled with their shot during the regular season. In addition, you factor in that Kobe who use to draw so much attention on the perimeter is hurt, it makes it that much easier to game-plan defensively against our team.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:54 am

^Right, so wouldn't it be in the coaching staff's best interest to develop some strategies that could work when shots aren't falling? I mean this is nothing new in basketball, players have always missed shots. Bigs have always been doubled.
Chillbongo

Postby dj vitus on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:13 pm

I don't know about you all, but it's a damn shame the NBA allows "half-doubling" in the low post now. It still looks incredibly illegal to me. 3 second violation, much?

What a way to expunge the big man in the NBA--oh, I forget, bigs slow down the game and make it less "entertaining," my bad. :freak2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^Right, so wouldn't it be in the coaching staff's best interest to develop some strategies that could work when shots aren't falling? I mean this is nothing new in basketball, players have always missed shots. Bigs have always been doubled.

Yes, it would be in their best interest. There's different sets you can run to counter the fronting that SA was doing & certainly moving off the ball to create higher percentage shots would have helped tremendously. Nevertheless, when it comes down to it, we still have to make shots when we're open. I do agree with you, though.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:28 pm

I literally wish Kobe was on the bench COACHING right now long as he's laid up. It's a damn shame he won't even be able to sit out there during the L.A. games, needing still to keep the leg elevated. Is there anyone here that would bet against him doing a better job especially against the Spurs, than Go Go Go?

HA! They should make a custom seat for him in the 2nd row right behind Dan with his elevated foot right next to his head. For the "fan" remark if nothing else. Arrogant, tactless bleep!
LTLakerFan

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:29 pm

dj vitus wrote:I don't know about you all, but it's a damn shame the NBA allows "half-doubling" in the low post now. It still looks incredibly illegal to me. 3 second violation, much?

What a way to expunge the big man in the NBA--oh, I forget, bigs slow down the game and make it less "entertaining," my bad. :freak2:

My thoughts exactly. The 90's and early 2000's was the NBA's glory child and also featured some of the best big men the game has seen. Irony much?

It's fun watching point guards and small guard lineups but I loved the big man game. I also might be suffering from selective memory but I swear the injury bug has hit the NBA HARD in the last couple of years.
Chillbongo

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:31 pm

A little less Pau & MWP, more Earl & Jamison should go a long way towards improving our spacing.
lakersin4

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

That - and a little more of Gasol hitting his mid-range shots and not bricking or airballing them may help.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:01 pm

No, Pau needs to be in the block. No more mid-range shots.

It's the job of the team to move off the ball to give him options rather than watching him get doubled.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 pm

I think they need more of Metta, not less. At least when he's playing well on offense he can create some and he has been a 1st option in the past and he has the mentality at least to try to step the eff up. He is a champion. You can mock him but dammit he has delivered in pressure situations both on defense and on offense. They need the physicality, and when in there take advantage of the matchup if there is one. Vs one of the other guys taking too many of those minutes in the "hope" they will step up and not have their sphincter pucker up on them in a hostile arena. Go with the experience and stay with him longer.
LTLakerFan

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:38 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:I think they need more of Metta, not less. At least when he's playing well on offense he can create some and he has been a 1st option in the past and he has the mentality at least to try to step the eff up. He is a champion. You can mock him but dammit he has delivered in pressure situations both on defense and on offense. They need the physicality, and when in there take advantage of the matchup if there is one. Vs one of the other guys taking too many of those minutes in the "hope" they will step up and not have their sphincter pucker up on them in a hostile arena. Go with the experience and stay with him longer.

I agree with this. Although, I would make a change and post Metta up a lot more. Metta's shot isn't falling right now, so I believe it would be beneficial for us to take advantage of him & his size on the block. He can create easier opportunities and develop a rhythm. He needs to score at least 14-16 pts, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:09 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:I think they need more of Metta, not less. At least when he's playing well on offense he can create some and he has been a 1st option in the past and he has the mentality at least to try to step the eff up. He is a champion. You can mock him but dammit he has delivered in pressure situations both on defense and on offense. They need the physicality, and when in there take advantage of the matchup if there is one. Vs one of the other guys taking too many of those minutes in the "hope" they will step up and not have their sphincter pucker up on them in a hostile arena. Go with the experience and stay with him longer.

I'm strictly talking minutes.. Pau, Ron, Blake all played too many minutes to be as efficient as they can be. They could have the same impact in less minutes & give Clark & Jamison a chance to give their usual contributions. I know it's usually your core/main guys that step up playoff time but when those 2 have it going our spacing is at it's best. We had that in the 1st game, Pau, Dwight, Nash outscoring TD, TP, Manu. The difference was their key role players scored 10, 8, 6, 6 points. Ours scored 12, 6, 5, 4.. Only 7 players scored for us vs. their 10. Guys like Earl Clark & Jamison have to have a bigger impact or our "big 3" hanging with theirs isn't enough.
lakersin4

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Pau 5 for 14 ugh

Team shot 45% from the field, 36% from 3 point land. Welp

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:11 pm

The Rock wrote:Pau 5 for 14 ugh

Team shot 45% from the field, 36% from 3 point land. Welp

Tonight it wasn't the shooting as much as the porous D.
Lakerjones

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion