Lakers to retire Shaq's jersey on April 2nd + Other news

Re: Lakers to retire Shaq's jersey on April 2nd + Other news

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Phil XI wrote:I'm completely disappointed in the organization for this Shaq news.

I'm completely disappointed in any "Laker fan" having that reaction to this completely justified honor the team is giving.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 pm

They should of done Shaqs during the Kings game whenever that is.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Phil XI wrote:I'm completely disappointed in the organization for this Shaq news.

I'm completely disappointed in any "Laker fan" having that reaction to this completely justified honor the team is giving.

Agreed
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby OX1947 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

Agreed

You know what, anyone who balks at Shaq getting his jersey up so soon, I do not have a problem with. That a-hole insulted not only the owner who paid him 135+ million during his 8 years in LA, but insulted the Lakers organization and even called all those who lived and LA who bought his jersey's and shouted his name, fake people. Can not help but see the irony in that last comment because Shaq is the fakest one of them all and now kissing everyone's (bleep) because he wants his jersey up in the rafters. I would have waited until he was in the hall of fame. Make his fat (bleep) wait, 5 years goes by pretty quick. If anything, retiring a Celtic should have been enough to wait. And save me the Rick Fox retired a Celtic, he retired the moment the trade was finalized. (Bleep) Shaq, Lakers org should have waited.
OX1947

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:28 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:i was hopin we'd wait until he's officially in the Hall?

Yeah, why the exception? I love Shaq but others had to wait for getting into the Hall, right?
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm guessing they want to give this to Shaq before Dr. Buss passes and as a way to show Dwight what he has in store if he stays.

I think the second one is a bigger point than we think it is.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:07 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

Agreed

“If I don’t get the ball more I’m not going to play defense”.
“I don’t need to lose weight, I’m the Diesel”.
“Just pay me my [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] money Buss”.
Shaq avoided playing through even the smallest injury and one year, he waited until the week before the season started to decide he would have surgery. "On Company time".
“I want a raise or I won’t play”. He was still under contract.
“He (Kobe) ran me out of town”.
"Tell me how my [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] tastes".
“One thing I really hate is a front-runner, and I despise front-runners,” then went ring chasing in Cleveland and Boston.

From this, I despise the unwillingness to be in shape and play through injury, to disrespect Buss publicly like that, to disrespect the city and the team's fans as he did, and in the end for being a Celtic...
NO.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:35 pm

^Back-to-Back-to-Back Rings. /argument :man12:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:39 pm

Fisher Back-to-Back-to-Back Rings. /argument
Walton Back-to-Back Rings. /argument
Morrison Back-to-Back Rings. /argument
Horry Back-to-Back-to-Back Rings. /argument
Fox Back-to-Back-to-Back Rings. /argument
Sasha Back-to-Back Rings. /argument
Your trite argument bears no weight in how I feel about Shaq as a Laker having his number retired. Let's put all their numbers up then?
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Postby dj vitus on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Well, Ammo might come back, so we'll have to wait to retire his.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Phil XI wrote:Fisher Back-to-Back-to-Back Rings. /argument
Your trite argument bears no weight in how I feel about Shaq as a Laker having his number retired. Let's put all their numbers up then?

Seriously? You can't see the difference between what those players contributed versus what Shaq brought?

Also, Dr. Buss and the Lakers organization conducts itself with class. You expect all the titles & great play to just be washed away from the slate of Lakers history just because Shaq, a notoriously sensitive person with a notoriously big mouth made some dumb comments on his way out of town when emotions were running high? That would be extremely petty of this organization to act like Shaq did and not give the man his due. 8 great seasons and one of the great Laker big men earned Shaq's place in the rafters with the other Laker greats.

At some point, you forgive and be the bigger person. It's called being a mature adult.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:At some point, you forgive and be the bigger person. It's called being a mature adult.
John3:16

Postby MadMax on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:09 pm

John3:16 wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:At some point, you forgive and be the bigger person. It's called being a mature adult.

Was just about to quote that myself. Well said, and agreed 100 percent.
MadMax

Postby OX1947 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:16 pm

MadMax wrote:
John3:16 wrote:

Was just about to quote that myself. Well said, and agreed 100 percent.

Go tell that to the Big Contradiction. What does being mature have to do with not support someone who called you fake and called your team names and told the owner of our team who has done nothing but put a product on the floor that makes us feel good, an MFer? Any true Laker fan knows his jersey has to go there eventually, but that clown didn't deserve to have it up until he was put in the hall of fame. Let Pat Riley retire his number. Riley is good at hanging jersey's of people that didn't even play for his stupid team. Mature has nothing to do with it.
OX1947

Postby Congo Cash on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Terrible analogy... None of those will crack the HoF, or even get a sympathy vote...

Shaq destroyed the league and while winning 3 straight rings...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Finwë on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:37 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:

Seriously? You can't see the difference between what those players contributed versus what Shaq brought?

Also, Dr. Buss and the Lakers organization conducts itself with class. You expect all the titles & great play to just be washed away from the slate of Lakers history just because Shaq, a notoriously sensitive person with a notoriously big mouth made some dumb comments on his way out of town when emotions were running high? That would be extremely petty of this organization to act like Shaq did and not give the man his due. 8 great seasons and one of the great Laker big men earned Shaq's place in the rafters with the other Laker greats.

At some point, you forgive and be the bigger person. It's called being a mature adult.

I agree.. Shaq did act like a total douche, but he does deserve to have his number retired.
What's confusing to me is that usually the FO waits until the player is inducted in the HOF before retiring a jersey right? Shaq hasn't been inducted yet.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:49 am

Calibuddz wrote:I see it as, wait till end of season, so when Dwight's mind is thinking few months before i have to decide, stay in LA or leave elsewhere.. here comes unveiling of a statue, & a jersey being retired

SO, YOU MEAN TO TELL ME...

IF I STAY HERE & DOMINATE A FEW YEARS, WIN A FEW CHAMPIONSHIPS, DPOY/MVP AWARDS..I CAN GET MY JERSEY RETIRED & HAVE MY OWN STATUE TOO? :man1:

Perfect Way to Put It!!!
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby LakerFan1980 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:44 am

:disagree:
LakerFan1980

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:58 am

Again, there are a lot of hurt Laker fans' feelings in this thread. Remove emotion from the equation and the facts make this move a no-brainer.

I must also refer to Dr. Buss's statement that was released last year when Shaq retired:

"Shaq had a long and amazing career, with a huge impact both on and off the court. His contributions were significant to the entire NBA, but we specifically appreciate what he did with and what he meant to the Lakers during his eight years with us. We have three championships that we wouldn't have won without him, and we will forever be grateful for his significant contributions to those teams.”

Dr. Buss = 100% Class :bow:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:11 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:

Like it or not it was in 1996 when I became a true Lakers nut/die-hard fan so Shaq's dominance along with Kobe was the first time I'd seen anything as unstoppable as he was. It's only right that we honor Shaq and the greatness he gave us during the time that he was hear.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:57 am

Phil XI wrote:
“If I don’t get the ball more I’m not going to play defense”.
“I don’t need to lose weight, I’m the Diesel”.
“Just pay me my [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] money Buss”.
Shaq avoided playing through even the smallest injury and one year, he waited until the week before the season started to decide he would have surgery. "On Company time".
“I want a raise or I won’t play”. He was still under contract.
“He (Kobe) ran me out of town”.
"Tell me how my [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] tastes".
“One thing I really hate is a front-runner, and I despise front-runners,” then went ring chasing in Cleveland and Boston.

From this, I despise the unwillingness to be in shape and play through injury, to disrespect Buss publicly like that, to disrespect the city and the team's fans as he did, and in the end for being a Celtic...
NO.

Let me make this point very clear.... Every point you posted I have said 1000 times. Yes, Shaq did all those things and I hated every one of them. He was a big child, he was loved by many for his antics (I still don't understand) and he spent many years deminshing his legacy in LA. All that being said, he was part of the greatest tandem to ever play and brought 3 rings to LA as the most dominant guy in the NBA. He, paired with Kobe, brought winning back to LA and eventually it was his trade that set the wheels in motion to return to winning. I don't care about his beef with Kobe and I don't really care if he dirtied his name by putting on a Celtics Jersey because none of that changes what he did while here with the Lakers which was bring us Championships 3 times.

Your points are valid but, in my opinion, its time to move on from the childish acts of Shaq and just praise the man that wore the P&G which he absolutely deserves.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Phil XI on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 am

No public formal apology for disrespecting Dr Buss, no forgiveness. Shaq is still on my shi list.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:25 am

oh crap that's right...he even put on a green jersey :bang:

he's lucky Dr Buss doesn't have an inner Al Davis...his jersey would be on Sacre instead of the wall
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby OX1947 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am

If he pulls the "Can you dig it" horse (bleep) at his ceremony, I am turning that ish off.
OX1947

Postby XXIV on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:48 am

OX1947 wrote:If he pulls the "Can you dig it" horse (bleep) at his ceremony, I am turning that ish off.

:man10:
XXIV

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion