Lakers to retire Shaq's jersey on April 2nd + Other news

Re: Lakers to retire Shaq's jersey on April 2nd + Other news

Postby Juronimo on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am

I was mad at Shaq for going over to the dark side and those silly comments of his but that's in the past. The facts still remain, he was the most dominant force in the league while he was here and helped bring us 3 rings plus the house that Shaq built, the Staples Center.

Personally I've moved on and I'm looking forward to seeing his jersey retired.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Chopper on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:19 am

The Lakers are showing more class than Shaq has. Yes, it seems soon, but i think the fact that Dwight Howard will get a full dose of Laker lore leading up to his free agency will seal the deal. The Lakers have bigger plans in mind than any pettiness with Shaq i guess.
Chopper

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:22 am

Juronimo wrote:I was mad at Shaq for going over to the dark side and those silly comments of his but that's in the past. The facts still remain, he was the most dominant force in the league while he was here and helped bring us 3 rings plus the house that Shaq built, the Staples Center.

Personally I've moved on and I'm looking forward to seeing his jersey retired.

^^ Me too, Juronimo. I've been plenty PO'd at the Big Knucklehead, but he absolutely returned our franchise to the greatness that we all hoped for and desired. Anyone like us who struggled through the lean, post-Magic years knows what it meant and doesn't take that for granted.

And I do find it weird that people seem not to acknowledge that the Staples Center was literally the house that Shaq built. Shaq was actually pushing for the new arena and he was the main attraction who put the people in the seats. For that reason alone he'll be in discussion for a statue in later years. I'm just not sure he'll get one.

For me that history is bittersweet. I actually loved going to the Forum and I loved that it brought more money and people into Inglewood. It was a fun atmosphere there, more loose, more vocal, louder. Staples is more Vegas-like (same architects) - more opulent, more hushed, more about the ringside seats and luxury boxes. It's just a very different vibe. Things change, and I get that. Staples was a big part of the revitalization and modernization of LA's downtown. It's a good thing. But I do miss the Fabulous Forum.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby jOeyB7000 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:32 am

Snake Eyes wrote:Two things:

1. Where is Shaqfan when you need him?

2. As a huge fan of Shaquille O'Neal myself, I am really happy. I knew it would happen eventually, but this really cements him as a great Lakers player. I still have the LA Times sports page from when the Lakers acquired him back in 1995.

We've got a lot of new blood here bro. I don't think there's many posters here that know about the legendary shaqfan.

*looks at own join date*

Damn I'm getting old.
jOeyB7000

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Chopper wrote:The Lakers are showing more class than Shaq has. Yes, it seems soon, but i think the fact that Dwight Howard will get a full dose of Laker lore leading up to his free agency will seal the deal. The Lakers have bigger plans in mind than any pettiness with Shaq i guess.

I actually think this has a lot to do with it, not to mention the timing of Kareem's statue. Two jerseys and a statue going up... Laker land looks pretty attractive to great players this season. Not just Dwight, but any of the guys we're going to try to pick up in 2014 too.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion