Lakers say they can't risk losing Mitch, tell other teams no

Lakers say they can't risk losing Mitch, tell other teams no

Postby ZenMaster on Sat May 31, 2003 4:32 am

You can read it here gang......

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0530/1561215.html

...thoughts anyone?
Personally I thought this was a hoot, it made my week. But that's just me. :man12:
ZenMaster

Postby clublakers on Sat May 31, 2003 8:16 am

Sup ZM, how's it keepin'?

Yeah, I thought this one would turn some heads. I'm not sure there is anyone else out there proven to replace Mitch, so we might as well see what Kup can do this summer. His job is to bring in one quality free agent.. how hard could it be, eh? :man7:
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby ZenMaster on Sat May 31, 2003 5:31 pm

Sup CL!!! :jam2:
...maybe you're right, how hard can it be to sign just ONE quality f.a.?....but, then again, maybe we shouldn't ask... :man10:
ZenMaster

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:12 pm

Well, one could have asked the same question last summer as well...but he does deserve one last chance to improve the team, if he fails I say we let him go and find a better GM...
Snakell Beast

Postby dmaul on Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:28 pm

Kupchak cannot be blamed for all of the Lakers woes. Especially in the area of trades/free agent acquisitions, or the lack thereof. Remember, this guy has put together some interesting moves to improve the club, but they've been shot down by Buss on account of $$$.

West, the genius that he is, did a lot of his magic before the latest NBA salary cap infrastructure was implemented after the lockout season. You notice he hasn't pulled any rabbits out of his hat lately. It's very difficult to get lots of good players nowadays. You can get one or two great players, but after that, adding those extra pieces is the hard part. It doesn't matter if you have Bill Gates' pocketbook (although it helps), the trade/free agent business is very tricky.

So let's see what Mitch comes up with this summer before we pass judgement. I'm going under the assumption that Buss has given him the quasi-green light to do whatever necessary to improve the team.
dmaul

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:52 pm

Lets all hope that BUSS does open his checkbook this summer and that MITCH has the charisma to lure ARENAS here in L.A. Mitch has the advantage at this point with Arenas being from the SouthBay but money will definitely be the main issue. I hope Arenas will resist the temptation of the big payoff now and not go to DENVER.

KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Danny Ainge on Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:12 pm

Screw Kup, I say let Magic give Arenas a call. Gilbert is already in awe of the Lakers. Its every childs dream to play for the team you grew up idolizing.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:40 pm

I would love for Arenas to join the team, and we CAN get him to come here and still get a good PF. What we do is sign Arenas to a 2 year deal for the MLE with an option after the first year to extend and promise him an extension the next year with a substantial raise, and we do that with all of our free agents...LP, that is legal, isn't it? Extending and being able to spend as much as we want over the cap on players we already have signed, right?
Snakell Beast

Postby ZenMaster on Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:28 pm

(Hey guys, I apologize for the interruption here Snakell...but while I do believe you can go over the cap to re-sign your own free agents, you hafta be careful how you do it...remember Minnesota and Joe Smith, if memory recalls they signed him to a miniscule one-year deal, and secretly promised to re-sign him for beaucoup bucks. We all know what happened next. Maybe LP can break it all down a little better for us how this works, given the scenario you proposed? Now I'm curious too...THANKS and sorry again for being a butinski...PEACE) :jam2:
ZenMaster

Return to Lakers Discussion